• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Regionals; Who else is going

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Maybe if it wasn't 2v2 format I'd go. Singles should be the obvious choice for a tournament setting.

Rayku

Smash Lord
I'm going. A few of my friends are going with me. I know Reflex is going, and has his team ready.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
Kinda wish I had a team by now...

But not for this

The rules are kinda BS when it gets to level and legal pokemon.

Level 50 with no auto-levelling blows, and allowing Garchomp and Wobbuffett makes me rofl.

Oh and they didnt list it, but I think Dragonite is technically banned since you can only evolve him at 55 or above. Thats why tyranitar is banned I think, and I don't know about any other pokemon that evolves past 50.

XIF

Smash Master
Yeah, but they have Latias (not Latios) in OU now, and I think Latias is technically staying there actually which is actually kind of BS, but whatever.

I think both are busted, but my team for shoddy battle doesnt have a marked Garchomp or Latias weakness, so for me it isn't a huge deal.

Argyris

Smash Journeyman
Kinda wish I had a team by now...

But not for this

The rules are kinda BS when it gets to level and legal pokemon.

Level 50 with no auto-levelling blows, and allowing Garchomp and Wobbuffett makes me rofl.

Oh and they didnt list it, but I think Dragonite is technically banned since you can only evolve him at 55 or above. Thats why tyranitar is banned I think, and I don't know about any other pokemon that evolves past 50.
I've personally got a lot of issues with the rules.

Any tournament, whether it's level 50 or level 100, should have something for autoleveling. If they've got the money to run this, then why not bring out PBR?

Singles is better than Doubles for tournament settings, always.

Sleep Clause, chance items, evasion increasing, etc. How is Rotom worse than all of those?

128 entrants will be randomly selected to compete. That's my biggest pet peeve. People don't need to travel to a tournament like this just to be told to go home. Big *** waste of money. I'm only going to this because I'm gonna be in the area at the time anyways.
[/rant]
Wobbufet's not nearly as bad in doubles. Garchomp's still an issue, though. You're spot on about Tyranitar, and at first, I thought Dragonite was supposed to be banned, too. However, there was a Toys R' Us event that handed out level 50 Dragonites. In fact, I have one myself.

Reflex and Rayku, I guess I'll be seeing you guys there.

XIF

Smash Master
I've personally got a lot of issues with the rules.

Any tournament, whether it's level 50 or level 100, should have something for autoleveling. If they've got the money to run this, then why not bring out PBR?

Singles is better than Doubles for tournament settings, always.

Sleep Clause, chance items, evasion increasing, etc. How is Rotom worse than all of those?

128 entrants will be randomly selected to compete. That's my biggest pet peeve. People don't need to travel to a tournament like this just to be told to go home. Big *** waste of money. I'm only going to this because I'm gonna be in the area at the time anyways.
[/rant]
Wobbufet's not nearly as bad in doubles. Garchomp's still an issue, though. You're spot on about Tyranitar, and at first, I thought Dragonite was supposed to be banned, too. However, there was a Toys R' Us event that handed out level 50 Dragonites. In fact, I have one myself.

Reflex and Rayku, I guess I'll be seeing you guys there.
Ok, so there's like a handful of BS Dragonites that are still legal that probably have stupid neutral natures and will be a ***** to EV train since you can't have it level up.

May as well be banned.

Argyris

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so there's like a handful of BS Dragonites that are still legal that probably have stupid neutral natures and will be a ***** to EV train since you can't have it level up.

May as well be banned.
Not sure if they're all the same nature, but if they are, the only ones bringing them will probably be kids who don't know what they're doing. Mine's got a Mild nature. 0 HP IVs, 22 Attack IVs, 24 Defense IVs, 2 Special Attack IVs, 14 Special Defense IVs, and 2 Speed IVs. That's definitely never gonna see a real battle.

The free Yache Berry is pretty neat, though.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Trick Room makes it so the Pokemon w/ the lower Speed stat goes first. So if your SPE is 299 and your opponents is 240, he will go before you. It throws a lot of people off because their fast, frail pokemon are suddenly going second and getting wrecked.

I still love the Explosion strategy:
1) Pokemon A uses Protect
2) Pokemon B uses Explosion
3) Your opponent loses 2 pokemon on the first turn and you lose just 1.

It's not too legit because Focus Sash beats it, but it's still funny.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Here's an example of a variation of the Trick Room strategy in the finals of the San Francisco Regionals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf-WeOcAIJY&feature=related

I believe this is Anti-Meta Trick Room: Trick Room. Don't quote me on the name of the strategy. I hardly know anything about Pokemon, but my friend taught me some of the competitive aspects. We think we came up with a strategy to beat any Trick Rooms (but the strategy actually calls for Trick Room, haha) using gay team strategies.

edit:
I still love the Explosion strategy:
1) Pokemon A uses Protect
2) Pokemon B uses Explosion
3) Your opponent loses 2 pokemon on the first turn and you lose just 1.

It's not too legit because Focus Sash beats it, but it's still funny.
lol wat. This is the strategy my friend and I came up with (well actually I did, but whatevs). Instead of using Protect, Pokemon A is a ghost type so he's not affected by Explosion. And also Smeargle (the one with Explosion) uses Follow Me and something that makes his HP go to 1 or something. I assume my method is faster than the one in quotes, but like I said, I hardly know anything about Pokemon :p

XIF

Smash Master
trick room is fairly gimmicky, and can only really be set up by a few pokemon, generally Bronzong, and there are ALOT of pokemon with ridiculous attack stats with fire blast or flamethrower, so I have an infernape, which resists gyro ball, his STAB move, and with nasty plot, life orb, flame thrower. So what if Bronzong is able to set up trick room?

Or better yet, let Bronzong believe i'll just let him, and switch in my full health Skarmory as he tries to explode.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
trick room is fairly gimmicky, and can only really be set up by a few pokemon, generally Bronzong, and there are ALOT of pokemon with ridiculous attack stats with fire blast or flamethrower, so I have an infernape, which resists gyro ball, his STAB move, and with nasty plot, life orb, flame thrower. So what if Bronzong is able to set up trick room?

Or better yet, let Bronzong believe i'll just let him, and switch in my full health Skarmory as he tries to explode.
Freakin' Mixape... I never feel prepared for it

Saltix

Smash Lord
Wow they still have these?
I thought these ended a LONG time ago.

I need to get platnium so I can get back into competitive pokemon.
I used to be good =[

Gerbil

Smash Champion
I have platinum, but everytime I step into one of these topics, my head asplodes....

There's just so much to pokemon, I wish I had time to really get into it

Rayku

Smash Lord
He said Trick Room seems to be the team to play because it's won a few of the regionals that have already occurred.

To XIF: Bronzong can learn EQ. Goodbye Infernape? Skarmory's pretty bad in doubles, I'd imagine.

XIF

Smash Master
He said Trick Room seems to be the team to play because it's won a few of the regionals that have already occurred.

To XIF: Bronzong can learn EQ. Goodbye Infernape? Skarmory's pretty bad in doubles, I'd imagine.
I was wondering if someone could catch that Bronzong learns EQ =P.

I Don't know much about the doubles metagame to be honest, and I probably wouldnt switch in infernape in singles either. I'd just switch in skarmory, stealth rock, and start whirlwinding until a big threat came.

I think if I ever did doubles i'd try to do a sunny day team. Something with like Jumpluff, exeggutor, Shiftry... and sunflora! specs-Flora with solar power.

Hey man, don't judge, sunflora has over 700 spc attack with specs and solar power.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I might buy Platinum just to go to this. I'd have to learn everything past Silver version and train a team in less than a month, but I think I can do it.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
I think if I ever did doubles i'd try to do a sunny day team. Something with like Jumpluff, exeggutor, Shiftry... and sunflora! specs-Flora with solar power.

Hey man, don't judge, sunflora has over 700 spc attack with specs and solar power.
I keep thinking Trace-Gardy would eat this team...

XIF

Smash Master
I keep thinking Trace-Gardy would eat this team...
yeah, but thats like preparing your team for that one Shedinja that'll wall your pokemons set.

Not entirely worth it.

For instance, I have a Cresselia with Hidden Power Fighting and Psychic, paired with Moonlight and Calm Mind. Now this at first seems terrible since Spiritomb completely walls this set, being immune to both attacks. However, Spiritomb is not a commonly used pokemon, and not even the most common switch in. However, the most common switch ins to Cresselia (Tyranitar, Weavile, and Scizor) do not entirely enjoy HP Fighting. After a single calm mind, HP Fighting 2HKO's T-tar (OHKO if he switches into a +1 HP Fighting with SR, before the spc Def boost from sand streem), Weavile is OHKO regardless, and it's a 3HKO on scizor, so with a little prior damage, Cresselia can actually take Scizor one on one. And to top it, cresselia outspeeds tyranitar and Scizor to actually land the hits. Not to mention psychic 2HKO's Salamence with SR support, another likely switch in.

It'd be silly to pack another move simply because certain pokemon can 100% counter. It's about what's more likely.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
I guess that's true for one poke. But I'm talking about the whole team. Trace-Gardy could take advantage of ALL of their abilities. Tho in retrospect, does not have very many moves to fight Grass-types with barring Hidden Power.

Top Bottom