• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow Virtual Console

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
You can? Well that will be useful...
Yeah, you can.

It took me a while to realize that... But it made things a lot easier. You can even store key items that you don't need anymore, which is nice.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm sitting here thinking...'This wasn't common knowledge?' :/

Anyways...If you guys are looking to catch a bunch of Pokemon, remember to change the boxes in the PC whenever they're full (20 per box) as it can ruin some captures for you...Nothing like encountering a rare pokemon lowering it's health and not being able to catch it because 'There's no room in the PC'...

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
I'm sitting here thinking...'This wasn't common knowledge?' :/

Anyways...If you guys are looking to catch a bunch of Pokemon, remember to change the boxes in the PC whenever they're full (20 per box) as it can ruin some captures for you...Nothing like encountering a rare pokemon lowering it's health and not being able to catch it because 'There's no room in the PC'...
Yep, I know that.

Man, PCs back then were weird. At least, I thought they were.

eltoroguaco

パンツ
NNID
eltoroguaco
yh I knew this back in the days, but the latest system have made me lazy so it appears I've forgotten...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
:003::031::059::082::123:

:130: or :121:

Is my planned team for red

Edit: LOL, I just remembered about the Leech Seed/ Toxic glitch!

Venusaur is going to be pretty awesome

Last edited:

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Oh, I'm aware...don't you worry...

Pretty much all of the stones evolutions are like this except for the eeveelutions...I evolved Nidoking early because there wasn't much worth while that Nidorino learns other than Horn Drill, which is unreliable due to its very low accuracy and I'm pretty sure I can get the TM for it if I wanted...

I actually prefer flamethrower over fire blast because fire blast also has lower accuracy and it only has 5pp...flamethrower still has a decent amount of power...this goes the same for thunderbolt and ice beam...
Actually Blizzard is considered the better option over Ice Beam in Gen 1. Blizzard had 90 Accuracy back then as opposed to the 70 Accuracy it has now.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What really sucks is that Flamethrower isn't a TM in Gen I... I love that move to bits.
What's even "more" disturbing is that TMs were one time only use items before the 5th generation. At least in today's generation, TMs can now be used infinitely, which avoids having to do chain breeding to give TM moves to certain Pokemon.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
What's even "more" disturbing is that TMs were one time only use items before the 5th generation. At least in today's generation, TMs can now be used infinitely, which avoids having to do chain breeding to give TM moves to certain Pokemon.
Yeah, I see your point. I'm really glad they became infinite use starting in Gen 5. It made raising Pokémon a lot easier.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Whenever I check on Miiverse, I see a lot of odd comments about some of the screenshots.

People think that that statement sounds very cruel. At least there are Pokemon Centers to go to whenever you need to heal your party.

Trainers with whips? Makes you wonder what the 1st generation was thinking.

What has the world come to when words like that are now used for offensive purposes!?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Whenever I check on Miiverse, I see a lot of odd comments about some of the screenshots.

People think that that statement sounds very cruel. At least there are Pokemon Centers to go to whenever you need to heal your party.

Trainers with whips? Makes you wonder what the 1st generation was thinking.

What has the world come to when words like that are now used for offensive purposes!?
Just an example of dumb people taking things out of context...

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Just an example of dumb people taking things out of context...
Or because they have a sense of humor. Then again, Miiverse is full of children and you get banned at the drop of a feather, so it's different there I suppose.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I need to go on the Miiverse for this game because I've already played this game and I'm eager to see what people picking it up for the first time are saying.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Update...Pretty much burned it to the Safari Zone to grab the last remaining HM's and caught my final two team members...Was planning on getting Exeggutor (who's a monster in gen I) and was debating between a few pokes for the last spot...Electabuzz, Haunter (I like Haunter so I don't mind if I can't evolve him), Jolteon, Scyther, Kabutops, Dragonite....but in the end I settled with Snorlax who's also quite the monster, plus he was more or less on par with my team's levels so hurray for less grinding...

:009:-Cobalt
:034:-Khan
:022:-Roc
:058:-Fenrir
:143:-Bubba
:102:-Egg Salad :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So I got Snorlax to move. Threw one Pokeball at him and that was that.

I remember the whole ordeal being so much more arduous than it ended up being this time. xD
Still nothing will compare to Sudowoodo

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How old are all of you?

Some of you sound like you're going through these games for the first time.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
How old are all of you?

I was born in November 1996, so I was about one year old when Red and Blue first came out in September 1998 in the US.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Playing the game and loving it but there's a huge list of problems building up that I need to address. One thing in particular is the lack of variety in Pokemon distribution. I'm getting so sick of Pidgey and Rattata. Makes grinding even worse.

And the lack of movepool in general. Raticate only ever learns 6 moves. It's crazy.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

I remember the whole ordeal being so much more arduous than it ended up being this time. xD
Ironically, Sudowoodo actually has a higher catch rate than Snorlax.

eltoroguaco

パンツ
NNID
eltoroguaco
Hi yes I am 24 and this is far from my first rodeo with RBY.
ohai! We're the same age! I've played all the games in gen 1,2 and 3 when they first released in Norway :p Which is between 1999 and idk when ruby/sapphire released... forgot.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
How old are all of you?

20 going on 21.

I was 3 years old when RBY was released in North America and my first exposure to the Pokemon games was around the year 2000 when I saw and played a Pokemon Stadium demo at a Wal-Mart. I was so amazed with the lore and everything in the series and it wasn't long after that when I got Blue on the Gameboy later that year.

My first exposure to the series in general was the Anime around 1999. My siblings would watch anime like Pokemon, DBZ, and Sailor Moon so I would often watch along and I loved it. Really miss those days.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Playing the game and loving it but there's a huge list of problems building up that I need to address. One thing in particular is the lack of variety in Pokemon distribution. I'm getting so sick of Pidgey and Rattata. Makes grinding even worse.

And the lack of movepool in general. Raticate only ever learns 6 moves. It's crazy.
Early game, hyper fang is killer though

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ironically, Sudowoodo actually has a higher catch rate than Snorlax.
That doesn't surprise me, though I meant just getting past Sudowoodo, which I couldn't figure out how to do for what felt like a month... but was probably two or three days haha. ^_^;

I don't even remember the actual battle tbh.

How old are all of you?

Old enough to be crying in the theatre while watching the first movie...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Old enough to be crying in the theatre while watching the first movie...
I think i've past that though the 4th PKMN movie always makes me somber. I remember being sort of depressed the first time I watched the movie in 2002 with the ending. The feels from that film.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

I had a similar thing happen, although it was a little more than 1 pokeball.

It was just a lot easier than I remember it being.

Now, catching Tauros...That was a pain. I only ran into 1 into the safari zone so I used the cinnibar island glitch to catch him.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
My team is complete.

:003::006::009::034::097::128:

Decided to catch a Tauros in the Safari Zone for my 6th team member, and lucky me, the first one I run into I catch in one ball.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
According to what I saw online, gen 1 fighting is SUPPOSED to hit poison for half damage

But it's not

My poison pokemon are being hit for normal damage against fighting

Edit: I just tested it out

Karate Chop hit Ekans for normal damage

Edit 2: LOL, Karate Chop is NORMAL in gen 1

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
According to what I saw online, gen 1 fighting is SUPPOSED to hit poison for half damage

But it's not

My poison pokemon are being hit for normal damage against fighting

Edit: I just tested it out

Karate Chop hit Ekans for normal damage

Edit 2: LOL, Karate Chop is NORMAL in gen 1
It's pretty amusing how some people forget the type changes that certain moves have received throughout the generations. Bite used to be a Normal-type attack, but ever since the 2nd generation changed it into a Dark-type attack, it's able to hit Ghost-types for super effective damage.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
How old are all of you?

I was born 1994. I played Red when I was little, but I didn't have as much knowledge then as I do now.
Now I can be smarter about catching them all, using my TMs and not bothering with Charmander outside of PokeDex purposes.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
How old are all of you?

23, will be 24 in November

Considering some of these games are for nostalgia and never got to experience some things, it's always exciting to try something new and do it again on the old games.

I was very surprised I managed to pull the Mew glitch and caught Mew!

At the moment my current team looks like this while I'm grinding for my 4th Badge:

:005::028::036::053::064::133:

I am actually trying something new this time around, with being able to get specific Pokemon and hopefully build an all normal type team looking like this:

:036::113::128::085::143::053:

Overwise, I may end up with this instead

:006::065::131::135::053::028:

Too. Much. Decision.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What personality will pokemon have when you transfer them?

What if it's a set personality? What if it's random?

You could build up the perfect Machamp but end up Modest or Quiet

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm still astonded that No-Guard Fissure Machamp will exist by the time Sun/Moon comes out.
The 1-hit KO attacks may need to be tweaked a bit so that they don't end up becoming a cheap tactic. I do have one solution in mind, which takes a page from the 1st generation.

Under normal conditions, 1-hit KO attacks will have no effect if the user's speed is lower than its opponent. If Trick Room is active, however, then 1-hit KO attacks will have no effect if the user's speed is "higher" than its opponent. If the target is paralyzed, it can only be affected by the 1-hit KO attack if the attacker is faster (or slower if Trick Room is in effect) than 25% of the target's current speed value. Pokemon with the Sturdy ability are immune to all 1-hit KO attacks, regardless of their speed.

If the 1-hit KO attack user is holding the Quick Claw, the item will NOT enable the 1-hit KO attack to work if the item holder is slower (faster while Trick Room is active) than its target, even when it does activate.

If the target uses any moves that affect its priority, it will not affect whether or not the 1-hit KO attack will work. For an example, if the target uses Mach Punch, it can still be affected by Fissure if it's normally slower than the attacker. Similarly, if the target uses Revenge, it can still be unaffected by Guillotine if it's normally faster than the attacker.

All 1-hit KO attacks will have 5 PPs and 30% accuracy, which can be affected by evasion and accuracy modifiers. Also, they can affect higher-leveled Pokemon if they're slower than the attacker; a level 50 Rapidash can KO a level 100 Rhyperior with Horn Drill if it outruns Rhyperior, while Rhyperior's Horn Drill will be rendered ineffective if Rapidash isn't paralyzed, or Trick Room is not active.

These changes will definitely make the 1-hit KO attacks feel less cheap, as some CPU trainers have been known for using 1-hit KO attacks to try to crush you at the battle facilities. If the 1-hit KO attacks revert back to how the 1st generation handled them, then you won't ever have to fear those Quick Claw holders, but you do have to watch out for speed boosting moves, Trick Room, and the paralysis status problem.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The one who has brought the concept of the Safari Zone deserved a session in the stake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Face to face with Articuno, with plenty of Ultra Balls under my belt...

That little message telling me that "the ball missed the Pokémon" is going to annoy me to no end. The first time I tried catching it, I had it paralyzed and in the red. Every Ultra Ball I threw missed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Apparently, seeing the quote "You missed the Pokémon!" is the same as the "Oh no! The Pokémon broke free!" quote that's used in the later generations.

Top Bottom