• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow Virtual Console

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
I bought Pokémon Yellow yesterday, and so far I'm enjoying it.

I'm trying to debate what I should have on my team right now, as well as if I should hang on to Pikachu for the entire journey.

eltoroguaco

パンツ
NNID
eltoroguaco
I got Red and Yellow yesterday :3 haven't gotten that far on any of them yet as I bought them just before I went to bed... Plan is to play them sortof like I did in my young days, back when the games were new. Meaning, silly names and prolly a bad party mixup :p

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Whenever I check Miiverse, I see a lot of screenshot posts that showcase the glitches that existed in the 1st generation titles.

eltoroguaco

パンツ
NNID
eltoroguaco
there's a lot of them...

Am I the only one who's kinda disappointed we can't get the red and blue in the colours they had if played on a gbc? (Red being all red and blue all blue)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There's one thing that I'll never understand about the 1st generation. You really should not be losing to a Rock/Ground-type Pokemon if you have a Water-type or Grass-type Pokemon by your side, and yet I see some Miiverse posts of players getting crushed by them.

eltoroguaco

パンツ
NNID
eltoroguaco
I don't get that either... I started with a squirtle and I completely destroyed Brock when it was at the same level! They must've rushed there without leveling their pokemon... or they're stupid enough to use ratata or something.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't get that either... I started with a squirtle and I completely destroyed Brock when it was at the same level! They must've rushed there without leveling their pokemon... or they're stupid enough to use ratata or something.
There's also the possibility that their game settings are set so that you're not able to switch your Pokemon before your opponent brings out his/her next Pokemon. That can obviously make the game harder when you consider how nasty Self-Destruct and Explosion are in the 1st generation.

eltoroguaco

パンツ
NNID
eltoroguaco
As I thought. Meaning it's once again hard to understand people are losing against him with Squirtle or Bulbasaur.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hiker's use self destruct. First turn.

So, if you are trying to level up a pokemon that can't 1HKO Geodude, like my butterfree for example...

BAM! No EXP for anyone!

---

I was planning on keeping my awesome Butterfree for the entire game but I replaced him with Exeggutor. Same purpose. I'm rolling Exeggutor with Mega Drain, Psychic, Leech Seed and Hypnosis. My Butterfree was using sleep powder and Psybeam so it's pretty much a win with Exeggutor.

Blastoise, Nidoking, Exeggutor, Dragonite, and Jolteon so far. Going to replace Jolteon with Zapdos, mostly because I like Zapdos.

The 6th place on my team goes to the same pokemon it did in Gen 1. Farfetch'd. Using Cut and Fly

Edit: Actually, I just got a Hitmonlee. I think I'll use it as my fighting type since I can't get machamp

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Might as well post my progress here...

Edit: Current Party:
:008:-Cobalt
:034:-Khan
:022:-Roc

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Has anyone else seen a screenshot like the one below over at Miiverse?

This screenshot looks like it's from Pokemon Silver, but that's not even available as a Virtual Console title.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Has anyone else seen a screenshot like the one below over at Miiverse?

This screenshot looks like it's from Pokemon Silver, but that's not even available as a Virtual Console title.
That's definitely Gen II graphics...is this the exact screen shot?

---

Progress update: RIP Blue's :020:

Nidoking, y u no learn Dig?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's been such a long time since I played the Gen 1 games, I forgot how much I loved them. <3

I have to admit I'm a genwunner, but whatever. Being around during Pokemon's peak in the late 90s was really something special. I haven't played the Gen 1 games since around then, so these last few days has been like a direct shot of nostalgia. :D

I also appreciate that these games have a slight edge of difficulty over the newer games where everything feels like a cakewalk.

Anyway, just got past Lt. Surge, here's my team so far:
:006::031::065::035::017:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
:009::034::103::135::149:

:106: or :128: are what I'm thinking for my 6th

:106: is weaker than Machamp, but I can't get Machamp...:106: also gets one of the best moves in the game though
:128: is apparently super strong gen 1, but I've never actually used him.

I've also got a copy of Pokemon Red in the same system

:003: is the only one I'm planning on

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yeah it's from Miiverse, but I'm still baffled about how a screenshot like that one made it onto the Red/Blue/Yellow community.
An image like that can easily be faked though...

---

also that moment when my Fearow almost single handedly beat Lt. Surge (would've if not for a crit, but my Nidoking took care of the Leftovers)
:043:-Cut slave

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
An image like that can easily be faked though...
There's no drawing feature in any of the virtual console Pokemon titles though, and you're not allowed to post screenshots at communities that they don't belong in; for example, Mario Kart 8 screenshots can only be posted at the Mario Kart 8 community.

eltoroguaco

パンツ
NNID
eltoroguaco
I've put my progress on my signature :) Showing both Red and Yellow. Though I won't do much on yellow yet.

EDIT: But I'll show it here as the sig doesn't appear all the time.
LV.16:008:Snapper ------- LV:5:025:Tsu
LV.13:016:Floppy
LV.9:021:Caldwell
LV.7:014:Buzz
LV.5:039:Hungrybox
LV.3:019:Rodar

Last edited:

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
There's one thing that I'll never understand about the 1st generation. You really should not be losing to a Rock/Ground-type Pokemon if you have a Water-type or Grass-type Pokemon by your side, and yet I see some Miiverse posts of players getting crushed by them.
It's ironic how the unpopular Bulbasaur pretty much made the first 4 Gyms a cakewalk and is objectively the competitively best out of all 3 fully evolved. It's unlikely that they know that they're just making things harder for themselves with picking either of the other 2.

Anyway, I've achieved my in-game team, evolved my Dragonair just after beating the 8th Gym and taken care of the Elite Four and Champion. All that remains is to catch them all.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It's ironic how the unpopular Bulbasaur pretty much made the first 4 Gyms a cakewalk and is objectively the competitively best out of all 3 fully evolved. It's unlikely that they know that they're just making things harder for themselves with picking either of the other 2.

Anyway, I've achieved my in-game team, evolved my Dragonair just after beating the 8th Gym and taken care of the Elite Four and Champion. All that remains is to catch them all.
Its a pretty well received notion that Bulbasaur=Easy, Squirtle=medium, Charmander=hard in Gen I...later in the game it shouldn't matter as much because you should have a more or less balanced team to counter your starter's weaknesses at least...

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Most people use their Rare Candies as soon as they get them. I'm smarter than that.

I looked into it and there are a total of 13 Rare Candies available in Kanto. 11 of them are accessible before Victory Road.
Since I wanted Dragonite as part of my in-game team, I got my Dratini from the Game Corner, which is very easy in Red, provided you save up all your money up until Celadon for 56,000 PokeDollars for the Coins. Then I evolved my Dratini ASAP, got my Dragonair to level 44 and used all 11 Rare Candies to save myself hours of grinding.

Now I can exploit Agility+Wrap+Hyper Beam+Ice Beam to my heart's content.

Dragonite slams Charizard.png

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The irony is that in Gold and Silver, you'd end up taking the hard road if you chose Chikorita, since the first two gym leaders use Flying-type and Bug-type Pokemon. Whereas, if you chose Cyndaquil, things will be a bit easier for the 2nd gym. Mud-Slap can be a pain at the first gym though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Let's be honest, in most situations it doesn't really matter who is competitively the best. Any of the three will certainly get the job done in the game, and when battling other people, few actually play on that level of competition.

I personally haven't had any trouble getting past the first three gym leaders, who objectively have favourable matchups to the Charmander line.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Let's be honest, in most situations it doesn't really matter who is competitively the best. Any of the three will certainly get the job done in the game, and when battling other people, few actually play on that level of competition.

I personally haven't had any trouble getting past the first three gym leaders, who objectively have favourable matchups to the Charmander line.
If the designers REALLY wanted to be cruel to the Charmander line, they'd have Brock's Geodude and Onix have Rock Throw instead of Tackle.

The irony is that in Gold and Silver, you'd end up taking the hard road if you chose Chikorita, since the first two gym leaders use Flying-type and Bug-type Pokemon. Whereas, if you chose Cyndaquil, things will be a bit easier for the 2nd gym. Mud-Slap can be a pain at the first gym though.
The Chikorita line has always sucked. That's not ironic. Especially since Chikorita isn't as popular as Cyndaquil, whose final form has the exact same stats as Charizard but only sucks less because he goes without the horrible Rock and Electric weakness.

Last edited:

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
:002::006::009::034::097:

This is my current team in Pokémon Yellow.

I am having a lot of fun with the game. I'm up to Fuchsia City right now, and I'm debating who my sixth team member should be.

I wanted to catch :128:, but I also like :113:, :143:, :081:, and :111:...

Decisions.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

I pick one of the other two because I like it, not because i care how difficult the beginning of the game is.

Besides, squirtle for Brock. Pikachu for misty, dugtrio for surge, butterfree for Erika. It wasn't difficult.

Last edited:

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
I pick one of the other two because I like it, not because i care how difficult the beginning of the game is.

Besides, squirtle for Brock. Pikachu for misty, dugtrio for surge, butterfree for Erika. It wasn't difficult.
I pick Bulbasaur because I like it and having him take care of all 4 Gyms lets the valuable EXP from trainers and in-game team slots go to eventually stronger investments like Magikarp, Dratini and Abra.

It's not hard but it's a waste of valuable Trainer EXP on things like Butterfree and Pikachu without Surf because while they might be good early on, they eventually become less useful as you get farther.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I pick Bulbasaur because I like it and having him take care of all 4 Gyms lets the valuable EXP from trainers and in-game team slots go to eventually stronger investments like Magikarp, Dratini and Abra.

It's not hard but it's a waste of valuable Trainer EXP on things like Butterfree and Pikachu without Surf because while they might be good early on, they eventually become less useful as you get farther.
I've got hundreds of rare candies, so exp isn't worth that much to me

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hundreds? There are only 13 available in all of Kanto unless there's some hack or glitch I don't know about to get more.
Didn't hack Virtual Console

But if the game is glitched, I'm going to take advantage of it

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Didn't hack Virtual Console

But if the game is glitched, I'm going to take advantage of it
I'm told that they made it so the Virtual Console lets you do the glitches without the game crashing, so you can farm infinite Mew.
There actually is a way to get infinite Rare Candies, but from the looks of it, it'd require you to be really late in the game just to pull it off. So unless you use this, you will ONLY ever have 13 Rare Candies at your disposal and what's more is that you can only get 11 of them before Victory Road. So no, you originally DON'T have hundreds of Rare Candies...

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Update:
Made it to Lavender Town...

Finally added a fourth member to my team as my pokes were getting a bit overlevelled...Growlithe was more of a pain to catch than he should've been...took a while to encounter him plus he kept using Roar first turn...eventually had enough and just chucked a Great Ball...caught it first try :facepalm:

:058:-Fenrir
:043:-Cut Slave
:100:-Flashlight

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Update:
Made it to Lavender Town...

Finally added a fourth member to my team as my pokes were getting a bit overlevelled...Growlithe was more of a pain to catch than he should've been...took a while to encounter him plus he kept using Roar first turn...eventually had enough and just chucked a Great Ball...caught it first try :facepalm:

:058:-Fenrir
:043:-Cut Slave
:100:-Flashlight
My advice to you on the Growlithe: don't bother evolving it until later even if you can afford the Fire Stone from Celadon City. Since Move Reminders don't exist in Gen 1, all the moves Arcanine can learn at level 1 can't be accessed, not that they're much good, so Growlithe has to get its Moves via level up.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Growlithe_(Pokémon)/Generation_I_learnset#By_leveling_up

As you can see, you'd have to wait until level 50 just for Growlithe to get Flamethrower and by that time, you should have the Fire Blast TM anyway.

Stone-Evolvers are a huge pain in Gen 1.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
My advice to you on the Growlithe: don't bother evolving it until later even if you can afford the Fire Stone from Celadon City. Since Move Reminders don't exist in Gen 1, all the moves Arcanine can learn at level 1 can't be accessed, not that they're much good, so Growlithe has to get its Moves via level up.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Growlithe_(Pokémon)/Generation_I_learnset#By_leveling_up

As you can see, you'd have to wait until level 50 just for Growlithe to get Flamethrower and by that time, you should have the Fire Blast TM anyway.

Stone-Evolvers are a huge pain in Gen 1.
Oh, I'm aware...don't you worry...

Pretty much all of the stones evolutions are like this except for the eeveelutions...I evolved Nidoking early because there wasn't much worth while that Nidorino learns other than Horn Drill, which is unreliable due to its very low accuracy and I'm pretty sure I can get the TM for it if I wanted...

I actually prefer flamethrower over fire blast because fire blast also has lower accuracy and it only has 5pp...flamethrower still has a decent amount of power...this goes the same for thunderbolt and ice beam...

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
What really sucks is that Flamethrower isn't a TM in Gen I... I love that move to bits.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
well I'm more annoyed by how little bag space you have.
Oh my God, don't even get me STARTED with that...

I had to throw away a lot of items.

...If only I knew earlier that you can store them in your PC...

Top Bottom