• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon characters for SSB4

Status
Not open for further replies.

andimidna

Smash Master
I didn't see multiply votes were allowed until after I voted.
I think we're getting 5 Pokemon at this point.
Voted Mewtwo as I see him as the much bigger priority

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Honestly, after giving it some thought I think the rest of the pokemon roster is pretty straight forward.
I think squirtle and ivysaur will return with jigglypuff given a low priority again. I don't think sakurai would cut the PT trio, only separate them as he is with all transforming characters. Greninja was the new generation pokemon as lucario was in the last game and charizard was used as a hype tool in the trailer. That leaves all the bases covered and explained.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Sceptile. My favorite grass starter....

DO WANT

This would just make my life.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'd like to see this happen, if only because I'm OCD about this, but I highly doubt it will. As someone who always chooses Grass (except in Gen 6), it's annoying that Water and Fire will be given favoritism (as always).

If this did end up happening, for OCD reasons, I'd prefer it be a starter from a generation not shared by Charizard or Greninja. I'd also hope it's not Sceptile (even though that's what I'd expect). Seems like he'd be too similar to Greninja in body shape and playstyle. Grass starters are usually the most unique, anatomically. They should make use of that with Torterra, Meganium, or Serperior. The former two probably wouldn't work because they couldn't ride Gogoat, but Serperior could at least coil around the mount in order to make it work. A snake-like body shape is also incredibly unique, so I'd love to see it happen. That being said, Snivy is a Poke Ball summon, so it's not likely (though it's not impossible either).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
how was a thread for the discussion of the possibility of a grass type starter to go with charizard and greninja to similar to the general pokemon discussion thread?

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Honestly, after giving it some thought I think the rest of the pokemon roster is pretty straight forward.
I think squirtle and ivysaur will return with jigglypuff given a low priority again. I don't think sakurai would cut the PT trio, only separate them as he is with all transforming characters. Greninja was the new generation pokemon as lucario was in the last game and charizard was used as a hype tool in the trailer. That leaves all the bases covered and explained.
I agree, and not exclusively because Ivysaur is my best friend. I feel like it'd be a waste to create unique movesets only to get rid of them, especially with one as glorious as Ivy's.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So far there is Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard and Greninja confirmed for the game.

I still think it is possible to have at least one or two more playable characters from the series.

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
So far there is Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard and Greninja confirmed for the game.

I still think it is possible to have at least one or two more playable characters from the series.
I'm thinking Jigglypuff and likely Mewtwo. I guess I could see Squirtle and Ivysaur coming back, but I doubt it.

But as far as newcomers, I dunno. There may not be any other than Greninja. Can't think of any that seem likely.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I know that she is considered de-confirmed as of the Greninja reveal trailer, but before that I would have thought one of the most likely newcomers would be Gardevoir. She had basically everything going for her didn't she? New fairy type, popularity in Japan (last I heard anyhow), mega evolution, main pokemon of X&Y's champion, and would work as a rep for the 3rd gen remakes we all know are coming. It would have made so much sense. And I think she would have worked really well too. Alas.

At this point it looks like Mewtwo is gonna be in then. Also, is it weird that we got a pokemon newcomer before Jiggly reveal? Or are we just assuming that means Jiggly will be hidden as per usual?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
6 characters in brawl :pikachu2::jigglypuff::lucario: Is 3 characters but this guy:pt: Was 3 in 1 :charizard::ivysaur::squirtle:
So 6 all seperate characters

We have 4

:4pikachu::4lucario::4charizard::4greninja:

So I am 90% sure we are getting 6 and those 2 are :mewtwopm::jigglypuff: Its safe to say :squirtle::ivysaur: Are 95% sure to be kicked due to :4charizard: Being alone this time and sakurai said transformations gone and:4greninja: Is a water starter so that destroys:squirtle: And :ivysaur: not even close to the popular pokemon list so :mewtwopm: Is the second or most popular pokemon to take :ivysaur: Place

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I'm thinking Sylveon is a very likely candidate for a 5th Pokemon. Mewtwo is probably out due to Lucario and Greninja taking up the "cool, slightly humanoid" category. Sylveon is very popular, one of the most hyped pokemon in X/Y, and could replace Jigglypuff in the cute category.

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
Genesect survived the Direct, and I believe he was the only gen V event legendary no to appear in the video. I honestly believe Mewtwo won't return - the whole Greninja "Fake-Out" and overall tendency to not prioritize Mewtwo in previous title's leads to believe this.

In comes Genesect, another lab experiment like Mewtwo who is also a legendary. While not nearly as popular as Mewtwo (just like his buddy Greninja) he could be easily implemented into the game. His cannon and drives can make for a varied moveset, and Sakurai puts moveset potential above most things when it comes to Smash. And while some of you may say he's irrelevant, maybe GameFreak is planning to give him his own Mega-Evo in the futre, who knows?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
3 pokemon with a chargeable energy ball-ish for a neutral B doesn't sound too unique. But I guess it's not off the realm of possibilities. (Fox, Falco, Wolf)

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Overall, when I first watched the recent trailer, I was generally surprised to see that Charizard and especially Greninja were unveiled. But nonetheless, I am happy with their inclusions.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Eh, had enough of dammed starters, we already got three (or 5 in total).

Let's see some other types of popular pokemon for the love of pete!

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I think the Pokemon roster should be:

Pikachu, Lucario, Greninja, Charizard, Mewtwo, Sceptile.

Jigglypuff will probably be cut due to being low-priority.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I know this sounds unlikely to happen, but I would be very surprised if another Pokemon from the X and Y series other than Greninja makes it in as a playable character.

Last edited:

Marthmario

Smash Lord
To be honest Pikcahu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Lucario, Geninja, and Mewtwo. Really fills up the amount of Pokemon that were in Brawl and adds back a fan favorite.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
im concluding to this

(now at this point 75% chance of mewtwo coming back at this point was 90 before

Pikachu charizard lucario and greninja that's who we have so far

the combinations below is possible for the other 2 or 1(2 is more likely by the way)

(top is most likely bottom is least

mewtwo (most requested character above ridley but lost it a hair due to the greninja trailer)

jigglypuf (ben here since 64)

genesect (the movie with mewtwo and if confirmed not looking good for jigglypuff) (shetwo and genesect were rivals in the movie)

sceptile (I really doubt it but the only other grass presenter since ivysaur is toast for sure)

there we go the other 4 pokemon possible

Last edited:

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna go with
Charizard
Pikachu
Lucario
Greninja
Mewtwo
Genesect (probably a surprise character not revealed until release)

...Jigglypuff

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Before direct you guys said:
"Brawl plus Mewtwo is fine."
Now guys say:
"7 is too much for pokémon!"

Now answer me, what's the differeence between Brawl plus Mewtwo to 7 characters?

I'd go with the same amount of characters, 7:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Lucario
Charizard
Greninja
Sceptile/ Ivysaur/ Venusaur/ Serperior.

Last edited:

Gune

Smash Lord
Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard and Greninja is what we have so far 2 less than brawls only two additons that make sense is Jigglypuff and Mewtwo.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
What are the chances of Squirtle and Ivysaur making a comeback? I think instead of having them, we can have Blastoise and Venusaur instead since Lucario and Charizard have mega evolutions for their final smash. I guess they can use squirtle and ivysaur's animation for blastoise and venusaur respectively.

Also Mewtwo will most probably return with a mega evolution final smash. If not, I will be very disappointed.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I wouldn't be. Not every Pokemon should have to have their megaforms included as a crutch.

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
Calling it now, the final two reps for Pokemon will be Sylveon and Mewtwo. Reasoning:

1. Mewtwo- this one should be obvious, but just to reiterate, it's insanely popular, has gotten a **** load of promotion in X/Y and the anime film, and appeals to genwunners like none other.

2. Sylveon- Sylveon was rubbed all over our faces as a rep for Gen VI's new fairy type, serving as the gym leader Valerie's signature 'mon. Yet despite being extremely cute and popular, he has yet to be announced as a Pokeball pokemon. A pokemon with such significance wouldn't just be glossed over like this. Thus, the reason why Sakurai has taken so long to reveal the outdated Jigglypuff is because it's spot will be taken by Sylveon.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, in regards to Sylveon...

What about Eevee being a pokeball pokemon?

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard and Greninja is what we have so far 2 less than brawls only two additons that make sense is Jigglypuff and Mewtwo.
My thoughts exactly.

I would like to see Eevee also, but that's not happening.

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
There's just one slot left for pokemon and Mewtwo don't stand a Chance against Jiggly.

Mewtwo bonus is mega evolution, but by now we already have two pokemon freaturing this.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Calling it now, the final two reps for Pokemon will be Sylveon and Mewtwo. Reasoning:

1. Mewtwo- this one should be obvious, but just to reiterate, it's insanely popular, has gotten a **** load of promotion in X/Y and the anime film, and appeals to genwunners like none other.

2. Sylveon- Sylveon was rubbed all over our faces as a rep for Gen VI's new fairy type, serving as the gym leader Valerie's signature 'mon. Yet despite being extremely cute and popular, he has yet to be announced as a Pokeball pokemon. A pokemon with such significance wouldn't just be glossed over like this. Thus, the reason why Sakurai has taken so long to reveal the outdated Jigglypuff is because it's spot will be taken by Sylveon.
I'd be cool with that... but we're probably just getting Jigglypuff again.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I'm of the opinion that the only other viable Pokemon characters at this point are Mewtwo and Jigglypuff. Jigglypuff is a classic Smasher and can now represent the Fairy type. Mewtwo is arguably the most requested Smash 4 character, and its return was directly hinted at by Sakurai at the X and Y roundtable at E3. Assuming that we have lost both Ivysaur and Squirtle, I don't see why there is "only one spot left for Pokemon". Technically, Brawl had six Pokemon when there were only 4 Mario characters. Both Mewtwo and Jigglypuff are very viable characters in their own right; why can't we have both of them? They would both be perfect candidates for unlockable characters. I'm pretty sure that Mewtwo's return is why Lucario was revealed as early as he was; I think Mewtwo has taken Lucario's unlockable spot.

If there is a need for a grass starter for OCD reasons, I'd be fine with either Sceptile or Serperior (though, Snivy was in Greninja's trailer and will probably be a Pokeball Pokemon, so I don't think this is likely at all). Sceptile is the only Gen III starter that I actually like, and I can see it having some interesting moveset potential (Leaf Blade, Razor Leaf, Giga Drain, and so forth). Serperior could also have an interesting playstyle, since we haven't seen a playable snake in Smash before (lol inb4SolidSnakejoke).

Sylveon could also be pretty neat; I can picture it having Fairy type moves like Moonblast and using its ribbons for whipping, tethering, and grabbing opponents, like Ivysaur. But with Greninja already representing Gen VI, I don't see this as very plausible at this point.

TL;DR
I think the only other viable Pokemon characters are Mewtwo and Jigglypuff, and we will probably get both. Pokemon can have 6 characters in this game because Brawl technically had 6 Pokemon characters. Sceptile, Serperior and Sylveon would also be cool, but they aren't very likely.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There's just one slot left for pokemon and Mewtwo don't stand a Chance against Jiggly.

Mewtwo bonus is mega evolution, but by now we already have two pokemon freaturing this.
And who made this rule of how many slots are left? You?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom