• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Black and White (Spoiler Warning)

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Still would have preferred Professor Willow.

But Juniper is acceptable.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
3 months until BW! I don't really like a lot of the pokemon yet but I'm still pretty excited. And I'm sure a few will grow on me as I play the game.

Willow sounds "old" to me, Juniper was a good choice. Darmanitan is kind of difficult to read.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I bet the word thug or rouge is in their name, but I think i will stick with many of the Japanese names as they will always be cooler.

I wonder though, do the Japanese like our names better? I read the one article in the Smog about the direct translation of some of the Japanese names, and they are quite boring.

M.K

Level 55
The Japanese names are the exact same kind of "Let's stick two words together and have some fun" as the English names, we just like them better because everything sounds more epic in a different language than our normal one.

And when they can't get creative in Japan, they use English words (Booster, Showers, Gear).

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
That's because we're used to the language. For all we know, people in Japan are bored with their language and find English exotic. Why do you think they add random English sentences and words to anime openings? XD
I'm still not quite used to English, honestly, since whenever I write or speak there are still so many rules and etc. it's really confusing. And evil. :p

The Japanese have drawn heavily from Westerners, but are starting to expand on just how open they really are. For example, Korean singers / groups attempting to cross over into Japan typically resing songs in Japanese, but they've actually kept in Korean words because the Japanese are sort of adapting, if you will. It's a really cool thing, actually.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I dunno, you compare different languages to English, and you can already smell a million more rules than English has
You would really be surprised. I don't know much about Japanese, and I'm self-teaching myself Korean (only on the alphabet) but there are a lot less rules than people make out to be. Chinese has very few rules and guidelines (to my knowledge, and I'm pretty fluent) and it's typically just American bias that languages other than English have many more regulations, etc.

However, this isn't the place for that. I'd gladly engage in cultural / linguistic discussions with you through VM or something.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Fuelbi, are you implying that English isn't by far the most needlessly language that is remotely widely-spoken?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Believe it or not, English has a "bible" amount of rules, especially when it comes to writing. It's just that we're used to the rules thanks to years of schooling. Even then, many people are often confused with spelling, punctuation and grammar.

Japanese, Chinese, and other "nese" languages are surprisingly straightforward. Yes, they have their set of complex rules, but not as much as English does in hindsight.

Spire

III
BRoomer
English is the most complex language on the planet. It can kind of be seen as this giant parasitic vacuum blimp that flies around the world, sucking up some words and linguistic rules here and there from every other language, even though its actual history isn't as demanding. For instance, the Scandinavian vikings left a lot of their vocabulary in old England during their raids. Words such as "window" and "sky" are close derivatives of viking words.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Ahaha, we italians can still do ARARARARA with the professor's name. Here she is Aralia.
"Aralia"? Sounds kind of exotic.

- "Araragi" sounds smexy in that Japanese sort of way.
- "Aralia" sounds exotic in that Italian sort of way.
- "Juniper" just reminds me of Jupiter, from Sailor Moon... not that there's anything wrong with that. XD

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I bet the word thug or rouge is in their name, but I think i will stick with many of the Japanese names as they will always be cooler.
I thought that too, and then they released Revolver Ocelot and I pretty much instantly decided I was going to use the American names.

And if they threw in a Psycho Mantis I would be even more into it.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
English is the most complex language on the planet. It can kind of be seen as this giant parasitic vacuum blimp that flies around the world, sucking up some words and linguistic rules here and there from every other language, even though its actual history isn't as demanding. For instance, the Scandinavian vikings left a lot of their vocabulary in old England during their raids. Words such as "window" and "sky" are close derivatives of viking words.
Nicely said, Spire. I'm so taking East Asian Linguistics classes next year.

illtaketwenty

Smash Rookie
Some of the Poke`mon look cool, but apart from Reshiram and Zekrom, the other legendaries look dumb :0
The cloud ones look like they got ripped right from Legend of Zelda Wind Waker T_T

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Some of the Poke`mon look cool, but apart from Reshiram and Zekrom, the other legendaries look dumb :0
The cloud ones look like they got ripped right from Legend of Zelda Wind Waker T_T
While I agree to a certain point, I have to say that Meloetta looks great
(Rule 34 what?)
. Also, Genosect looks bada**, kind of like a warmech of some kind. By the way, I call the nickname "Warmech" for Genosect (it's a Final Fantasy I reference), so no one steal it... though I doubt anyone here cares for the name. XD

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
While I agree to a certain point, I have to say that Meloetta looks great
(Rule 34 what?)
. Also, Genosect looks bada**, kind of like a warmech of some kind. By the way, I call the nickname "Warmech" for Genosect (it's a Final Fantasy I reference), so no one steal it... though I doubt anyone here cares for the name. XD
Bwahaha. Now that you mention it, Genosect does resemble Warmech. :o
I wonder what Gamestop's gonna throw out as its preorder gift this time. I hope it's good like the figures have been.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The one that the new black chick in the anime has
No, it's not "black chick", it's "Ash's new a**"! Get it right! XD

@
Terywj: Kibago, huh? I'm not too crazy about it, but it's better than nothing. Personally... actually, I wonder...
Perhaps if I go to Friendly's* and show them a picture of that double ice cream Pokemon, would they actually make me an ice cream that looks exactly like it? I should so try it. X3

*For those who don't know, Friendly's is an ice cream/burger parlor. They're pretty good. :D

M.K

Level 55
I honestly keep forgetting that some of these "middle evolution" Pokemon even exist. =/

Meh, I just gotta play the game, then I'm sure they'll be popping up everywhere in the grass >_>

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I honestly keep forgetting that some of these "middle evolution" Pokemon even exist. =/

Meh, I just gotta play the game, then I'm sure they'll be popping up everywhere in the grass >_>
Well, the vast majority of middle evolutions are quite forgettable. There are exceptions, but not very many. XD

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Meta Kirby, play Middle Cup, and you might never again forget Middle evos.

Especially Daburan. You'll know that name by heart when you're done with the whole thing >.>

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Meta Kirby, play Middle Cup, and you might never again forget Middle evos.

Especially Daburan. You'll know that name by heart when you're done with the whole thing >.>
Be careful who you advertise Middle Cup to, UltiMario. Middle Cup is only for real men. Some cannot handle the intense pressure that is Middle Cup.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
MC can get really intense.

Especially when you play Best of 13 sets and begin to counterteam each other by game 5.

Top Bottom