• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Channel: Pikachu Video Archives and Critque Thread

Dashie

Smash Cadet
Your overall movement is too complacent and your inputs lack decisiveness.
I honestly don't understand what you said at all, can you explain that in simpler terms?
Your movment is a little to obvious and he's punishing you on it.

You've got to learn when you will get punished and use it to your advantage.

My guess anyway lol.

Last edited:

Uncle Honey

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't understand what you said at all, can you explain that in simpler terms?
Your inputs are without any clear purpose or objective. It's obvious you don't think too much before doing them, thus putting you in very unsafe predicaments. This tends to happen when some players use faster character in an attempt to overwhelm their opponent with aggression. Agreeable since Pikachu is faster and has better frame data than most of the cast, but against a calm opponent who paces themselves and is more methodical about their movements it will not work at all.

dettadeus

Smash Lord

Got a decent number of matches on stream the other day. My gameplay literally fell apart in the 3rd match and continued into my next match offstream, leading to four or 5 SD's throughout both sets through quick attack problems alone. :T
I think it might've been related to my controller though.
(Also the first match has my rank wrong, I was #6 on the first PR but #7 on the current one. JFK is #10, Flow'T is unranked and Fishbait is #1 in our state)

Last edited:

O Hobbit

Smash Cadet
@ dettadeus dettadeus , You're really good at keeping the lead during the matches. It would help a lot if I could also do this... i should train more...

If possible, I'd like a feedback on this set. At least a few matches XD

https://youtu.be/C22SiSnDp9E

Last edited:

dettadeus

Smash Lord
In a lot of matchups, the best way to keep the lead once you have it is to force your opponent to approach and play patiently and safely. Pikachu is really good at this due to his insane mobility and T-jolt (or thunder wave, in my matches above). I feel like T-wave is the better option when customs are available; even though T-jolt is more damage per hit and has more range, the stun on T-wave is too invaluable.
Just from watching a few of your matches, I feel like you only have one mode, and that's basically to go in. This works decently to build a lead, but if you want to keep a lead that you've already built up (especially a stock lead), you definitely want to focus on letting your opponent come to you. When you have the lead, your opponent is more likely to take risks while trying to take back the lead; you can actually see this in your own gameplay, as you take some heavy risks attempting to take back leads. Basically, when you have the lead, you don't have to do anything to win the game. The rules win for you as long as you can get and hold a lead. I'm comfortable timing people out with Pika if I think it's the most reliable way to win that particular game, so I generally play with that in the back of my head; if I'm ahead, my opponent loses by default. Simple as that. I guess it also leaves less room for me to make my own mistakes, because I'm focusing on capitalizing on mistakes the opponent makes and not committing to anything I don't 100% know I can get.

Dashie

Smash Cadet
$5 money match against Nikes.

Any advice on my match would be awesome.
Match starts at 01:50:30

It's been kinda months since I played him so a lot had changed.
Adapting quick to him has proven difficult lol.

http://www.twitch.tv/nikesyoshi/v/6951171

I'll see if I can get him to upload it to his youtube channel later and I might post it if it happens.

Last edited:

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
User name: Underhill
In-Game name: Underhill
3DS Friend Code: N/A
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: Chase47
Country of Residence: United States, GA
Palette Colour: Yellow Hat
Message: I have a good looking mouse looking for a challenge and ready for battle.

M15t3R E

Smash Master

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Eh, since it's not Smash Bros this probably should have been posted in the general discussion thread. Anyway, I just watched this earlier today. I'm excited to main Pikachu in this one as well!
If i misplaced this, my mistake. Just thought it was pikachu gameplay so it was fair game. Glad you enjoyed it. Awesome default pic btw lol

M15t3R E

Smash Master
If i misplaced this, my mistake. Just thought it was pikachu gameplay so it was fair game. Glad you enjoyed it. Awesome default pic btw lol
It's smash bros wii u gameplay and I didn't realize it so it actually belongs in this thread after all. I thought this was a different video. Pokken Tournament coming to wii u is certainly something to look forward to!

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
been uploading a lot of 3DS matches as of late, but here's my most recent upload~

If you'd like to give comments I'll gladly welcome them~

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Got destroyed by the no.1 player in South Australia. Apparently no.4 in Australia. </3
So you're not bad at all but I would say your room for improvement lies with two issues. Often, your usage of QA is telegraphed. Use it as a mix up to pop your opponents into the air, but not at low percents. Even more importantly, I believe you suffer from a bit of over-aggression and complacency. You want to attack at every moment but take the time to feel out the opponent while standing by for a couple seconds outside of their grab/tilt/smash attack range. As a result, you aren't taking enough time to read the opponent while your opponent can read you. This is actually very, very common.

Last edited:

Dashie

Smash Cadet
So you're not bad at all but I would say your room for improvement lies with two issues. Often, your usage of QA is telegraphed. Use it as a mix up to pop your opponents into the air, but not at low percents. Even more importantly, I believe you suffer from a bit of over-aggression and complacency. You want to attack at every moment but take the time to feel out the opponent while standing by for a couple seconds outside of their grab/tilt/smash attack range. As a result, you aren't taking enough time to read the opponent while your opponent can read you. This is actually very, very common.
Yeh I figured that I freaked out during the match and didn't think my options through properly.
(I don't usually QA that much lol.)

Also considering that I have had trouble with the Mario match up I wasn't entirely sure what to do.
He uses a large variety of characters and didn't expect him to use Mario either.
I think the match up goes off with more spacing with forward smashes and down tilts for spacing as Mario has somewhat smaller attack range and more lagless options.

Yes you're right, QA should be used for more of a mix up option as it can be baited out with somewhat safer options like nair for Mario and his up smash is unforgiving. Otherwise QA is good for combos and intercepting spot dodges, otherwise if it hits a healthy shield you can usually get to safely.

I might have explained in more detail about the matchup and what I figured out, although I did that at least a thew days ago and aren't fresh from it atm.

The entire point of the set was to see how I react to vsing him anyway.

Last edited:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Yeh I figured that I freaked out during the match and didn't think my options through properly.
(I don't usually QA that much lol.)

Also considering that I have had trouble with the Mario match up I wasn't entirely sure what to do.
He uses a large variety of characters and didn't expect him to use Mario either.
I think the match up goes off with more spacing with forward smashes and down tilts for spacing as Mario has somewhat smaller attack range and more lagless options.

Yes you're right, QA should be used for more of a mix up option as it can be baited out with somewhat safer options like nair for Mario and his up smash is unforgiving. Otherwise QA is good for combos and intercepting spot dodges, otherwise if it hits a healthy shield you can usually get to safely.

I might have explained in more detail about the matchup and what I figured out, although I did that at least a thew days ago and aren't fresh from it atm.

The entire point of the set was to see how I react to vsing him anyway.
Well you did fine. The Mario Bros are both kind of tricky to fight for Pikachu.

Dashie

Smash Cadet
Well you did fine. The Mario Bros are both kind of tricky to fight for Pikachu.
Thanks.
I think I'll do better in the matchup next time.
Btw any alternate characters for versing Luigi? There are some in my region that could be a potential threat.

Last edited:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Thanks.
Btw any alternate characters for versing Luigi? There are some in my region that could be a potential threat.
Sheik completely walls out Luigi if you don't mind switching to the top character in the game. ZSS does to a lesser extent. I use ZSS and Luigi who I will typically switch to for Luigi.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Thanks.
Really like Roy in the Luigi MU, I pretty much picked him up for that sole reason. I was able to beat my friends Luigi that always beat my Pikachu first time with Roy. He has since given up on the MU like I did with Pikachu.

Megamang

Smash Lord
I like ZSS and Rosa for the Luigi matchup.

Actually, I read in the viability survey yesterday that Rosa covers pikachu's bad MUs pretty well, which is interesting. I particularly like CPing Ikes and Rosa's with ZSS, no mercy.

Also the mario bros are nice to have a secondary for, but I think the matchup is always winable. But, the way to win is a really defensive playstyle, basically only entering when a grounded Tjolt is forcing them to not try and trade, since you lose trading so bad.

EDIT: After some more bouts with Mario I'd have to say the offstage game is where you have to really win the battle.

Last edited:

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
Recently had one of the most legit matches I ever had on FG, it was so tense, whew

I wonder how good my Pikachu is, objectively?

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Recently had one of the most legit matches I ever had on FG, it was so tense, whew

I wonder how good my Pikachu is, objectively?
You did good, man; Nice work, but just to get you ready for the next battle against Mario, then I fill you in with some useful information since I main both.

Against good Mario players, here's the tips. Mix up approaches with fox-dance trots along with your QAs and other approaches, but don't get read easily at the same time. Don't be in the air too much because that's a good way to get jiggled by Mario and he can bait your landings and punish you. Power shield his fireballs while approaching him and seeing how he reacts. Down-tile to outspace and if you trip him with it, free grab or short combo for you. Not bad on recovery, but it could use alittle more work and sometimes you want to QA into different angles on the stage for safely and even mindgames if possible. However, watch out for the cape and Fludd because he can pressure and harass you off-stage with them and even get you in a bad position for him to punish you. Oh, and the ledge trumps as well if he tries to go for it after you snap the ledge. Pivot Forward smash and up smash would help you as long as you don't get too predictable with them. Down smash, forward smash, grab, up-tile, or forward tile to punish his rolls if in front of you or behind you. Also QAs as well. Don't get to predictable with jolts and start baiting his cape or get him into shielding for a grab and start pressuring him as possible. Combos will help you, but watch out for n-air or up-b; However, if you read and bait them, then free punish for you if possible.

Hope this helps you, man. Good luck with your next fight.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Against Mario I find I have much better luck if I stay grounded most of the match. Make sure you are super wary of his u-smash, don't start rolling everywhere in fear tho because he can of course just kill that on reaction. D-tilt when fresh can clink with the f-smash, which is great for assuring your safety in footsies. D-tilt in general puts you in a great position, especially if you hit him with it. Learn a little crawling mobility to microspace his aerials and beat him out when he lands; he'll try to jab or use any of his really quick frame data on landing, so do respect his aerial landings since they are probably safer than yours.

B-throw + thunderwalls are excellent for racking damage and getting kills.

Respect the U-smash, please please please respect the U-smash. If you didn't know its fking invincible. Don't be the pika that decides to use QA in neutral and gets u-smashed; seriously make each stock a huge pain for mario. If he kills you early, and you dont gimp him, you probably will lose.

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the advice guys~ I'll go lab a bit and hopefully I'll do even better next time~

kerbykong

Smash Rookie
NNID
kerbykong
3DS FC
5172-2655-6851
User name: kerbykong kerbykong
In-Game name: kerbykong
3DS Friend Code: 5172-2655-6851
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: kerbykong
Country of Residence: Ireland
Palette Colour: Green bandana