• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Channel: Pikachu Video Archives and Critque Thread

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I don't know much about playing as Kirby, so a lot of the stuff I wrote is gonna be pretty general since I don't know exactly what you can do to alleviate the problem.

You rolled a lot. Try and mixup how you approach and evade. I like to use retreating fairs with Kirby a lot. I don't know how good they really are, but they seem to work for me.

Remember that floaty characters like Peach can't really get chained by up tilt. In the first match, after the first up tilt, it would've been better to use an aerial like uair instead of another up tilt.

Also, in a key moment in the first match, you didn't pivot grab. Remember to practice those. Pivot grabs have extra range, and getting grabs with Kirby is important since Kirby's grab game is pretty good.

When recovering, you were a little too predictable. Try and throw out an aerial where you expect your opponent to be. Kirby's up special is pretty linear so there's just a natural risk associated with it.

In the second match, you were having a hard time dealing with ESAM's camping. You could practice your shield and walking. You could also have used a few jumps to get high enough and attack Pikachu from above (though they would come with other risks you would have to watch out for). In addition, getting a read with Inhale earlier could let you at least stop his spamming.

Finally, in the last match you were getting read a lot. Using different options and being unpredictable is important. I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that. You'd have to ask an actual Kirby main for stuff like that. >.<

I hope this still helped though.
Thank you so much!

Karamel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Karamel474
3DS FC
2578-3150-3735
Last edited:

BKRaiderAce

Smash Rookie
This is from semi-finals at my weekly. Any critiques are greatly appreciated. I have a hard time against this particular Ness player. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d05EHBgMv-E
Hey man,

First off the Ness MU is tough, I don't blame you.

One thing I noticed early on from game one, at least in this set he barely dash grabbed. It was either PK Fire or dash attack. You were doing a good job in the neutral maintaining the distance required to avoid these hit boxes. I know it's not the best idea against most Nesses, but this one you should use run up shield option as he wasn't threatening you otherwise, in order to get in for a grab. At low percents you have just as much to gain off a grab as he does. Once you get in once this way, you can start mixing your approach up and really mess with his neutral game which is where he's beating you.

The name of the game in this MU is to gimp Ness as he has a his kill throw pretty early and Pika's can struggle to kill otherwise. You need to get in and establish dominate stage position and take more risks in your edgeguarding. It's intimidating as a misplay will get you hit by his PK thunder recovery but it's your most reliable way of getting up a stock on Ness.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAVXuwpp5M0

If you look at this ESAM match he kinda plays it perfectly game 1. Short hop auto cancelled down airs are great ways to wall his approach while avoiding PK fire. He gets in several times on the dash grab, and pretty much let's Ness's recovery hit him as it gimps him most of the time, you just have to tech consistently.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom