• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Project M says default team colors should not be replaced with any outside texture/model hacks. Generally speaking, model changes, except for pikachu and Jiggly due to their lack of change in color, isn't welcomed on default team. As alternatives I think they would be fine. there may be an issue with then not looking different enough from the default ones though.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
but roserade
but ludicolo
Aw dang, Ludicolo has perfect potential, with that sombrero thingy he has! And I totally could've put Roserade's cape for the purple leaves.
Project M says default team colors should not be replaced with any outside texture/model hacks. Generally speaking, model changes, except for pikachu and Jiggly due to their lack of change in color, isn't welcomed on default team. As alternatives I think they would be fine. there may be an issue with then not looking different enough from the default ones though.
Naw, the main focus on Ivysaur is her "bulb", in both aesthetics and gameplay, added with the spot changes. Though that standard red might be a problem.

I like to think of it as the Boxer DK to the default DK. I honestly didn't think about team colours whilst making those.
@ Nefnoj Nefnoj that Tangela based alt is pretty rad, brother! You should put something like that on the vault!
Eh, okay! But only if someone else does the rigging. Ivysaur's bones are just a MESS. That's probably the real reason nobody's tackled her yet. There are probably hundreds of ideas at the official Project M moon-based office that they just haven't revealed because of her bones.
Autocorrect derped pretty hard,my apologies lol
Haha, I just though Brenuli or whoever was just really good at Brawl mods! I'm no expert, but if someone hooks me up with a Tangela model, consider it done. Otherwise, tangels by hand... Possible, easy, but time-consuming.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Project M says default team colors should not be replaced with any outside texture/model hacks.
so

like you and i have said - make them the alternate costume's team colors alongside ivy's actual team colors. give them noticeably different hues of the team colors already there and i don't think it would be an issue.

Edit:
Came back, read your post again and wondered just what the hell happened to my reading comprehension and changed my post accordingly. is it this thread? because it's not just me.

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
So I made a bunch of my Ivysaur's crappy concept ideas.
Please disagree or agree with them. Each one is based off of either a poison or grass type Pokémon, akin to Ivytypes.

The biggest problem (I think) with Ivy is all her bones. She's got a million for each bit of her petal, and all her petal bits affect gameplay with her spore attacks, which function as her biggest gameplay mechanic. I think having a few leaves, petals, or onion layers on the outside could change that.
I didn't try very hard. I didn't do the green, red, nor blue palette swaps because of Project M's rule in terms of team colours, and because green Ivy needs to remain unchanged 'cause she's based off of Shinisaur. Can't remove shinies, that just ain't right. They're in order of swap, with four extra ideas of mine. I regret making them so big. The first three are based off of the ones already around, then order of OMG PLEASE I LOVE YOU.

Roselia

Obamasnow

Gloom.

Parasect

Victreebell

Exeggcutor

Tangella.

Nothing is impossible, brother. We thought we couldn't have stock icons, but look now!
Finally some Ivy ideas I'm alright with.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
guy said:
10) Are you currently working on anything for a future release of Project M? If so, any small hints? ;P
Mewtwo2000 said:
I've recently enabled a new costume slot.
That's a least a little bit of a big deal. Does this mean his own li'l CBliss stuff, the one that had 14, but bad CSP's and BP's? Or... Something new and exciting from Project M?

AAAAAND speaking of Mewtwo2000, I would love to see his Ganondorf's Tower, SM64 Vs Bowser (All in 1), and Bowser in the Sky, and Great Bay, each remastered, the former two with a few platforms, all added to Project M... Which would take a buttload of work.

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I would love to see Vs Bowser officially added, but then we might be overloaded with Bowser stages...

That said, it's one of, if not my all time, favorite custom stage.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I would love to see Vs Bowser officially added, but then we might be overloaded with Bowser stages...

That said, it's one of, if not my all time, favorite custom stage.
That's true... I thought they could make it an alt to the already existing Bowser's Castle, but that would remove the one that already exists, and I think most competitive players would become sad. I wouldn't want to do that to them. It is pretty unique for a competitive stage, it's big and super popular.

Unless - of course, they moved the competitive Bowser's Castle as a different stage skin akin to what they did with Dracula's Castle. I personally want them to combine the two stages: The three platforms from the competitive Bowser's Castle over the Vs. Bowser Stage. They could also make one of them a Z Stage, though I don't see that happening.

Metal Cavern still has a slot open for an alt...
The only custom stage I love more than it is this one.
I would love to see it added after being tweaked a bit, but I don't think I'll ever see that happen. I don't think anyone who's worked on it is part of the team, but the hazards on it are awesome! That's why I love Vs. Bowser so much, it's not just a Battlefield reskin. It has its own elements and hazards you have to work around.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Default + team colors can not be model changes. Unless it's pika/jiggs like NinfanNanz said.
hate to be that kind of guy, but really man - this question was answered literally first post this page...

mewtwo2000 said:
I've recently enabled a new costume slot.
I really hope they add the Awakening alt for Marth just for the hell of it now. it looks better on him than Lucina.

If you hadn't been able to tell yet, I am a Fire Emblem kind of guy.

Last edited:

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
Please disagree or agree with them. Each one is based off of either a poison or grass type Pokémon, akin to Ivytypes.

The biggest problem (I think) with Ivy is all her bones. She's got a million for each bit of her petal, and all her petal bits affect gameplay with her spore attacks, which function as her biggest gameplay mechanic. I think having a few leaves, petals, or onion layers on the outside could change that.
I didn't try very hard. I didn't do the green, red, nor blue palette swaps because of Project M's rule in terms of team colours, and because green Ivy needs to remain unchanged 'cause she's based off of Shinisaur. Can't remove shinies, that just ain't right. They're in order of swap, with four extra ideas of mine. I regret making them so big. The first three are based off of the ones already around, then order of OMG PLEASE I LOVE YOU.

Roselia

Obamasnow

Gloom.

Parasect

Victreebell

Exeggcutor

Tangella.

Nothing is impossible, brother. We thought we couldn't have stock icons, but look now!
I love these.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I do not recall these... Wouldst thou share a source?
They were back in the imgur when the alt was first shown, but all my attempts to find it either end up with the original reddit page not loading, or an imgur with all the images deleted. There was a blue squares alt and a red one (not sure what camo it was based on)

Last edited:

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Random question, but whatever happened to those Big Boss team color alts? They were shown off forever ago and there still hasnt been any word on them
I remember those. There was also a separate green team alt, which was odd, considering that the default costume could work for the green team.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord

Roselia

Obamasnow

Gloom.

Parasect

Victreebell

Exeggcutor

Tangella.

I really hope Roselia and Gloom become official and replace those recolors, but I also want all of these to replace the recolors. Lol.

CND

Smash Cadet
I think there would be too many factors that would make it unreasonable but how about trying to make Ivysaur look pixelated like the sprites from the Pokemon game, although that would be applicable to every Pokemon.

Edit: Thinking about the Pokemon games and the idea of making Ivysaur a wizard gave me another idea. How about using the ghost of Marowak or the depiction of ghost in the show as inspiration to give Ivysaur ghost-like form? Then, maybe with that in mind give the alt more specifically lich-like characteristics (although I think a lich is technically an undead wizard and not a ghost wizard...?).

Also, I think Nefnoj's Parasect alt kind of lead to the line of thought that lead to that idea.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I think there would be too many factors that would make it unreasonable but how about trying to make Ivysaur look pixelated like the sprites from the Pokemon game, although that would be applicable to every Pokemon.

Edit: Thinking about the Pokemon games and the idea of making Ivysaur a wizard gave me another idea. How about using the ghost of Marowak or the depiction of ghost in the show as inspiration to give a Ivysaur ghost-like form? Then, maybe with that in mind give the alt more specifically lich-like characteristics (although I think a lich is technically an undead wizard and not a ghost wizard...?).

Also, I think Nefnoj's Parasect alt kind of lead to the line of thought that lead to that idea.
A while ago, I sketched up an Ivysuar with a Ghastly orb for a bulb, I considered it for the black Ivysaur, but the bulb is closer to Gloom's colour...

Your idea to merge them is brilliant. Maybe he could wear a Cubone skull too, make it more black magic.
I've always loathed the wizard idea... I'm sorry...

Last edited:

CND

Smash Cadet
A while ago, I sketched up an Ivysuar with a Ghastly orb for a bulb, I considered it for the black Ivysaur, but the bulb is closer to Gloom's colour...

Your idea to merge them is brilliant. Maybe he could wear a Cubone skull too, make it more black magic.
I like the idea of a Cubone skull being incorporated, I don't know how well it would fit but I like that thought.

I've always loathed the wizard idea... I'm sorry...
Admittedly, I really like "canonical" alts so I was initially slow to embrace ninja squirtle and armored charizard although now I definitely like them. So, the talk of a wizard alt for Ivysaur hasn't really interested me until I just mentioned that idea with canonical influences... I'm also sorry...

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I like the idea of a Cubone skull being incorporated, I don't know how well it would fit but I like that thought.

Admittedly, I really like "canonical" alts so I was initially slow to embrace ninja squirtle and armored charizard although now I definitely like them. So, the talk of a wizard alt for Ivysaur hasn't really interested me until I just mentioned that idea with canonical influences... I'm also sorry...
Charizard's canon enough, it's a reference to a movie where a Charizard wore a armor. In terms of the skull, they could just squish it, skew it, turn it all around to fit. The Ninja Squirtle still bothers me a lot though. They should give it a Greninja redesign so it's a reference to something.

CND

Smash Cadet
Charizard's canon enough, it's a reference to a movie where a Charizard wore a armor. In terms of the skull, they could just squish it, skew it, turn it all around to fit. The Ninja Squirtle still bothers me a lot though. They should give it a Greninja redesign so it's a reference to something.
Oh shoot, I either do not remember or have not seen that movie, and I guess I failed finding it on Google search. Ninja Squirtle is now one of my favorites but I am very influenced by it being one of my favorites to take screenshots for in my screenshot gallery. At first though, I thought it was an odd alt since the others in the game at the time were more canonical (e.g. Armored Mewtwo, Doc Mario) and I do appreciate the canonical nods as I mentioned, but I know the PMDT should not be limited to what is canonically available especially for character's that do not have much to draw from.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
There's a lot of potential for taunts, costumes, or easter eggs just in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS7dE2Cmazo
Party hat Snake, perhaps?

Though I'm not sure this is an art nor alt, I would love to see the Project M team to add more stages to classic mode, it's usually restricted to one or two per character. And R.O.B gets the Training Mode, blah.
I hope not. Some of them are good, but Ivy's recolors are great as is.
Yeah, the black and purple ones were only made because I found something for the white one and didn't want to leave them out. I had trouble finding a good pink and a good dark red to match the already existing ones, so they were the closest things, and I barely even checked the poison types that I had potential from. The only ones I actually care about are the Ice and Mushroom ones, haha.

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Why do you guys constantly pick on Ninja Squirtle so much? Is it because Nanobuds said he dislikes him? I don't get it.

Jet Set Sonic is the weirdest and least canon thing in this game yet I see nothing but praise about him. Since when does Sonic wear jeans and a t-shirt outside of fan art?

Pokémon has so many stereotypical ninja villages scattered about its ridiculous. A ninja garbed Squirtle is completely within the realm of possibility for the series. Not weird at all. Not any worse than Gi Lucario. Stop the hate it is unwarranted.

Last edited:

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
I'm fine with ninja Squirtle and Gi Lucario personally, I just think of them as being dressed up for a Pokemon contest (those who have played the gen 3 or 4 games will understand) and don't anyone diss Jet Set Sonic. He's one of the most swag looking alts in the game lol

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Why do you guys constantly pick on Ninja Squirtle so much? Is it because Nanobuds said he dislikes him? I don't get it.

Jet Set Sonic is the weirdest and least canon thing in this game yet I see nothing but praise about him. Since when does Sonic wear jeans and a t-shirt outside of fan art?

Pokémon has so many stereotypical ninja villages scattered about its ridiculous. A ninja garbed Squirtle is completely within the realm of possibility for the series. Not weird at all. Not any worse than Gi Lucario. Stop the hate it is unwarranted.
I've strongly disliked ninja squirt since it was shown because I really don't like unrelated OC in PM. I hold it to the same standards I hold an official title. I want it to tickle my fanboy bone, not be an outlet for random creativity. I'm not saying the costume is poor quality, I'm just saying that it doesn't do the same thing that something like the Dr Mario costume does.

The JSR isn't canon, which I do in theory have an issue with, but it does tickle that bone I was talking about. It was a nice way to make a nod Sega as a whole and not just Sonic. It's not my favorite, but I have no problems with what it stands for.
Lucario's alt references the focus sash/choice band, and although overall it's low on my list of alts, at least it has something to it.. Unless of course I missed the "focus knee pads" being added to the game and water shuriken being added as an egg move for Squirtle.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
That's fine, but it looks to me that it boils down to I think this looks/ doesn't look cool versus I am taking a principled stand against OCs when people can find loopholes that make their favorite OC costume totally fine.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord

Jet Set Sonic doesn't suit my taste, but Sonic has other "costumes" that satisfy my bloodlust. The Sega universe is also tied together, there are so many cameos everywhere... And should I mention the crossover games? Sega isn't really limited by rules.

Lucario's Gi makes sense, partly because it utilizes pre-existing elements from the game, the band, the trading card game logo, and, of course, the fact that his fighting type matches that of a fighter trainer.

I pick on Ninja Squirtle 'cause it doesn't make sense... Or it's supposed to be a Ninja Turtle parody, which makes it even worse. Squirtle's not a fighting type, nor a dark type, and you'll never find a Ninja trainer or a martial artist trainer using a Squirtle. Like the wise Chombey said - it's nothing from the game, but from Project M, and doesn't even meet their own standards. To make things worse, they can't just remove it, otherwise fans will be all poopoo. That's partially why I hope for a mild Greninja costume inspiration. All it takes are a few pearl decorations, maybe some fins, and most of all, Greninja's a starter Pokémon evolution, so they have somewhat of a connection.

Don't worry though - I don't think it doesn't look cool, I just think it doesn't fit.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486

The costume is just gross man

And I'm disappointed that they didnt make firefighter squirtle, something that was actually canon and one of the most memorable things about the squirtle squad

Edit: as for JSR Sonic, There's several games that Sonic and Beat appear in together (The sega racing games, super star tennis) along with Sonic being referenced in JSR itself, with a character named Garam wearing his skull on a necklace. This alt didnt come out of nowhere

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I pick on Ninja Squirtle 'cause it doesn't make sense... Squirtle's not a fighting type, nor a dark type, and you'll never find a Ninja trainer or a martial artist trainer using a Squirtle. Like the wise Chombey said - it's nothing from the game, but from Project M, and doesn't even meet their own standards. To make things worse, they can't just remove it, otherwise fans will be all poopoo. That's partially why I hope for a mild Greninja costume inspiration. All it takes are a few pearl decorations, maybe some fins, and most of all, Greninja's a starter Pokémon evolution, so they have somewhat of a connection.
Says who?

Before water types were shown to potentially possess ninja qualities, Ninja trainers specialized in poison types with bug types as a secondary. Nothing to do with fighting or even dark before Greninja so why you are making that argument I have no idea. Maybe in your head that makes the most sense for ninja qualities but the source material says otherwise.

I also don't get why you are attributing the dark type nature of Greninja as more important than his primary water type. His signature move is water shuriken after all. And his previous water type forms also have ninja attributes.

Squirtle in PM feels Ninja-like, his costume isn't outrageous for Pokemon and as we have already gone over now no type has a monopoly on Ninjaness.

So your reasoning strikes me as arbitrary. Preferring another costume doesn't mean this wasn't well thought out.

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Says who?

Before water types were shown to potentially possess ninja qualities, Ninja trainers specialized in poison types with bug types as a secondary. Nothing to do with fighting or even dark before Greninja so why you are making that argument I have no idea. Maybe in your head that makes the most sense for ninja qualities but the source material says otherwise.

I also don't get why you are attributing the dark type nature of Greninja as more important than his primary water type. His signature move is water shuriken after all. And his previous water type forms also have ninja attributes.

Squirtle in PM feels Ninja-like, his costume isn't outrageous for Pokemon and as we have already gone over now no type has a monopoly on Ninjaness.

So your reasoning strikes me as arbitrary. Preferring another costume doesn't mean this wasn't well thought out.
Preferring a costume that was worn by the character in official media to OC is not arbitrary.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
The argument above I responded to was in regards to why it didn't feel right but some tough-looking Pokémon of a different type would be.

Your argument about official media just brings Sonic back into the mix. So still an arbitrary gut feeling distinction being made.

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I didn't realize Jet Set Radio was not official media. Sega must have lied to me as a kid.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Jet Set Radio has as much to do with the Sonic series as Squirtle does with the ninjas in Pokemon - that is to say, they exist in the same universe and nothing else. It's okay to like one of them and not the other because of a gut feeling, but their situation is not really different.

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Is that the song they reuse bits of in Sonic Rush? I heard about that but still no dice.

Regardless, Shin has it. I'm not saying Jet Set Sonic is a bad costume or he should be removed from the game because my standards are too high like some of you are arguing about Ninja Squirtle. I only mentioned him as a comparable example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom