• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please help my poor, confused friend

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone.

I have a bit of a problem. You see, my friend wants to be "good" at Brawl. He's been playing since Melee, and to be quite honest... the skill he has now isn't too different from when he has first started. He's an Ike mainer, which probably applies to the vast majority of people who read the Ike section, so I'm asking any Ike mainers to give my friend some advice?

He Aethers randomly in the middle of a fight, leaving him very, very vulnerable.
He doesn't understand the concept of spacing, and often walks towards his opponent before trying to Fsmash him.
He just recently learned how to recover. Sort of.

So far, my friend comprehends the following moves:
Up B
Side B
B
Whichever direction he's facing + C-Stick.
I tried going over Ike's other moves, such as Utilt and Dair, but... Anytime his character isn't on his feet, he finds one way or another to accidentally send himself over the side.

I'd show him one of the threads stickied here, but smart money says he won't be able to understand the majority of things that guide has to offer.

Someone please help so he can stop throwing spazatic fits next to me when he accidentally suicides? Any advice is much appreciated.

MisFate

Smash Rookie
He probably hasnt been fighting enough people yet.
I remember being stuck with cpus, tilt attacks didnt really matter and all I seemed to need were smashes and specials.
Ike's not in melee so your friend probably doesnt know his entire moveset or the advantages and disadvantages that come with each attack
Maybe he'd learn better with a controller without a C-stick? (or B button ;D jkjk)

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I don't know why he says he won't under stand the guide it even explains a lot of terms used. he should at least read it I'm sure hell understand somethings if not all.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Is your friend an idiot? Because there is a difference between bad/confuzzled and stupid. And he sounds pretty friggin' stupid. >.<
Okay, admittedly he's not too bright.

I'm going to go with FallenTwilight's suggestion. Thanks for the feedback, you guys. I'll let you know if there is any improvement.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Okay, admittedly he's not too bright.

I'm going to go with FallenTwilight's suggestion. Thanks for the feedback, you guys. I'll let you know if there is any improvement.
Keep pwning him tell he begs for advice. Eh, even the biggest idiots should eventually pick up on ideas if they see it used effectively enough times.

"Should' is a key word there. >.>

Bouse

Smash Ace
How he'll get better at recovering...
3 lvl 9 computers on a team against him on FD with x2 dmg, all of different levels of strength and speed. Best combination would be
D3
Marth
Pokemon Trainer (continually changes)
Chain him to the chair and make him play them for an hour. If he doesn't get how to recover by then, leave him there to die by starvation. Darwin wills it.

Sliq

Smash Master
I only read the title and assume your friend likes boys but doesn't want to admit it (or YOU like boys and use "friend" to hide this fact but still get advice).

Just do what you want. IF you like balls and wang go for it. Glad I could help.

lajackson07

Smash Apprentice
He played MELEE and he's STILL bad.....
How old is this person?

Anyway, tell your friend to play with someone that's hard to kill yourself and pretty easy to play with like Kirby or ROB or Metaknight or Pit. Then transition them to another character. They need to learn the basics first and everything else comes second.

MisFate

Smash Rookie
Sorta underestimating Kirby, ROB, Metaknight and Pit there, but w/e
I played melee and I'm still bad so >.>;;;; (still trying to get rid of my bad habits transitioned from melee)
I think he'll be fine just KNOWING his attack options atm.....
Tell him to be aware of his tilts since those are usually the more ignored part of a newbie's moveset
Otherwise, I think playing more will get him the hang of the game..... for now.......

XACE-K

Smash Master
I only read the title and assume your friend likes boys but doesn't want to admit it (or YOU like boys and use "friend" to hide this fact but still get advice).

Just do what you want. IF you like balls and wang go for it. Glad I could help.
This is win.

Ikepwnsyou

Smash Cadet
mabye ike isnt for him? tell him to try other characters that are eaiser to recover, but if his heart is set on ike, show him his quickest moves, and most powerful moves, then have him use them alot.

__V

Smash Journeyman
He should play Snake or Pit. They're much easier to start off with.

Pink-eye

Smash Apprentice
i started with pit, then sonic, then wario, then ZSS which is where i am now,b ut i still main wario, and i main DK

you should use ike to battle his ike, he will see what you do, and do it, monkey see monkey do.

yes im comparing your friend to a monkey

T-REX!

Smash Apprentice
Did he ever play Luigi in melee and he didn't know how to recover?

.:DRAKE:.

Smash Apprentice
So far, my friend comprehends the following moves:
Up B
Side B
B
Whichever direction he's facing + C-Stick.
I tried going over Ike's other moves, such as Utilt and Dair, but... Anytime his character isn't on his feet, he finds one way or another to accidentally send himself over the side.

I'd show him one of the threads stickied here, but smart money says he won't be able to understand the majority of things that guide has to offer.

Someone please help so he can stop throwing spazatic fits next to me when he accidentally suicides? Any advice is much appreciated.
I'm sorry. Your friend is beyond our help. The only way to cure a case of n00b this bad is banned in a dozen states.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hmm... Here's a good question, how good are you? Would you feel comfortable teaching him? Currently, I'm teaching three "students" about the basics of competitive smashing. One of the most basic tests I do is called the Captain Falcon test. This is where all I do is run, dodge, and use the Falcon Punch. For those who have very poor spacing skills and don't watch their opponent, they get nailed over and over again by this easy to avoid attack. I tell them to focus on their opponents, use both visual and audio clues, not to do what I call "routines", and to watch for openings during this test so that they don't get the crap kicked out of them. It seems to work pretty well as a basic test but don't expect them to become better overnight. It will probably be a one or two month of actually studying and practicing before they actually get it down.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I do the falcon punch test on CPU's when I'm bored but they never get any better. I may try it out on my cousin and sister though never actually thought it would work for training someone lol.

Top Bottom