• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PlayStation

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Sony is still spouting bull. I'm actually considering launching an uber campaing to bring Kingdom Hearts to the Revo if PS3 discourages me. Not to mention I read about Bill Gates and the XBox 360 in Time, and theey sa Gates might be kind enough to support weirdo games if it can avert a possible gaming industry crash.

Sorry folks, PS3 = LOSAR.

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
Originally posted by TheMagicalKuja
Sony is still spouting bull. I'm actually considering launching an uber campaing to bring Kingdom Hearts to the Revo if PS3 discourages me.
why? kingdom hearts 2 is gonna be on ps2, not ps3.

Steel Kangaroo

Smash Ace
I really love the Ps2, but the only thing wrong with it is the controller. It looks like the same one is being used for PS3 (basically) and that really annoys me. The controller isn't comfortable at all, and the analog sticks tend to be more trouble than they're worth. Not to mention how unresponsive the buttons can be. I really hope they fix the controller.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Originally posted by TheMagicalKuja
I'm actually considering launching an uber campaing to bring Kingdom Hearts to the Revo if PS3 discourages me.
Mmm...

I'm sure you have the resources to launch an "uber campaing".

Go for it. I'm sure it'd be good for a laugh.

B0r3d*m Alien

BRoomer
BRoomer
Trying to contact my alien associates so they can
Just buy a PS3 for Kingdom Hearts if you love it so much. Why the hatred for Sony?

We all know what happened when SquareEnix brought a "Final Fantasy" to Nintendo.

Whether that was because of Nintendo's "quarkiness" or whatever, I hope that if they do bring another Final Fantasy to Nintendo, they will keep it single player..or multiplayer online.

BA out..

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Came across this while checking my usual group of sites (in this case, romancancel.com)

Repost from: http://www.ohiogaming.net/
from Ohio's BigMix

Merrill Lynch Japan predicts Sony will lose more than 1 billion on hardware during its next-gen console's first year on the market--a sum it may not be able to recoup.

According to the latest issue of Japanese magazine Toyo Keizai, Merrill Lynch Japan Securities has recently calculated an analysis that the production of a single PlayStation 3 console will cost Sony approximately 54,000 yen to make (494), as of its initial release in 2006.

Merrill Lynch Japan estimates that the machine's main components--namely its Cell chip, RSX, and BD-ROM drive--will cost about 11,000 yen (101) each. After adding the other electronics that will be used in the PS3, the machine's production cost goes up to 54,000 yen.

Given that Sony's PS3 will face stiff competition from Microsoft's Xbox 360, the chances that Sony will release its console at its production cost is slim. Under the assumption that the Xbox 360 is expected to sell at around 299, Merrill Lynch Japan predicts that Sony will sell each PS3 at the price of 44,800 yen (410) in Japan and 399 in America. That would mean Sony would suffer a loss of more than 130 billion yen (1.18 billion) during the first year of the PS3's release.

By comparison, the PlayStation 2 cost 39,800 yen (364) in Japan and 299 in America when it launched in 2000. During its first year of release, Sony Computer Entertainment suffered a loss of 51.1 billion yen (458 million), but it recovered the next year with a profit of 82.9 billion yen (759 million), followed by 112.6 billion yen (1.03 billion) the year after.

It is normal for game companies to take a loss on hardware whenever a new console launches, since they typically focus on acquiring market share rather than generating a profit during the first year. During the second year and afterward, they can recover the losses with the savings that come from mass production and with licensing fees from publishers.

However, Merrill Lynch Japan warns that the normal console business cycle may be disrupted if Microsoft cuts the Xbox 360's price when the PlayStation 3 launches. The report goes on to say that such a move could hurt Sony's plans, bringing an additional loss of 80 billion yen (730 million) in its second year and 50 billion yen (457 million) in its third year. Thus far, Sony has already invested 200 billion yen (1.83 billion) into development and production for the Cell chip alone.

Toyo Keizai goes on to interview Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi, who avoided revealing the PS3's price but hinted that it would not be marked down excessively. "Whether consumers think a product is expensive or cheap all depends on the balance between its appeal and price," he said. "Our ideal [for the PS3] is for consumers to think to themselves, 'OK, I'll work more hours and buy it.' We want people to feel that they want it, no matter what."

"When Nintendo was selling its 16-bit machine at around 12,500 yen (114), we sold the first PlayStation at 39,800 yen (364)," continued Kutaragi. "The press was saying that it was expensive, but it was a huge hit. It's the same thing with the PlayStation Portable from last year. The Game Boy Advance is a same handheld gaming machine, and it costs less than 10 thousand yen (). On the other hand, our PSP had cost 25,000 yen (229). But people lined up overnight to buy it, and it sold out on the day of its launch. It all depends on whether people want it. Of course, I'm confident that the PS3 is a product that people will definitely want."

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sony is a moron for saying "people bought the PlayStation even though the SNES was cheaper" seeing as the SNES had comes out years before. I don't see them comparing it to the N64. It's the same thing with the PSP and the GBA. I mean, honestly, wtf sony. The PSP is competing against the DS (which the DS basically creamed in sales), not the fracking GBA. What kind of moronic thing to say is that?

All I can say is Sony, as a company, is basically ********. They just say the stupidest stuff (ie, KILLZONE IS REALTIME, or THE PS2 WILL HAVE TOYSTORY GRAPHICS, or THE PLAYSTATION SOLD WELL EVEN THOUGH THE SNES WHICH CAME OUT YEARS BEFORE WAS CHEAPER OMGWTFBBQ).

On a less sarcastic note, the MGS4 trailer is gorgeous.

Probably not $500 - $1000 gorgeous though.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
JediMasterYoda98 said:
Sony is a moron for saying "people bought the PlayStation even though the SNES was cheaper" seeing as the SNES had comes out years before. I don't see them comparing it to the N64. It's the same thing with the PSP and the GBA. I mean, honestly, wtf sony. The PSP is competing against the DS (which the DS basically creamed in sales), not the fracking GBA. What kind of ******** thing to say is that?
What's even funnier/stupider about that is that the GBA was also released several years before the PSP. The other thing is that the PSP and GBA are on completely different levels of graphics; the GBA is super nintendo graphics and the PSP is PS2 graphics. It's like comparing a G&W with a Peach.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I hate it when companies do this to but it's not as if Sony is the only one. Just this year Nintendo compared the number of GBAs sold to the number of PS2s sold. How's that for apples and oranges?

NukeA6

Smash Master
Have any of you held the PS3 controller, played any PS3 game, or even seen what it can do?
If not, quit the PS3 bashing and just give it a chance. So what if the controller sucks, you can use the PS2 controller if it bothers you that much.

Also, you people seem to be mad that PSP is trying to king of handheld games. Come on people, there was someone who was gonna challenge Nintendo someday in this. And so what if PSP fails; at least they tried. They will eventually know what to do next time. For a company to be better, they should try things (not too risky though).

SuperMajinLink 287

Smash Lord
Reading that really makes me think that the Revolution truly will get attention more than ever. Sure, Sony has a lot of money, but look at how much they are spending to make all of this, $494.00, each console. If they reduce the price of it, which I'm sure they will, it's only going to be by a little bit. I'm aiming at either 450 or 400. I mean, this is WITHOUT paying taxes, you're looking at paying more than $450.00 guranteed and over $500.00 if the PS3 is set at a selling price of $450.00, and that's just the console with one controller! You might want to pick up a controller or two so when friends come over and buy a couple of games that look really badass and then maybe some extra peripherals to help boost your playing experience with your dandy PS3. Yeah, you're looking at paying well over 600-800, close to $1000.00, on the PS3!
Yes, now I see why people would bash on the PS3...

NukeA6

Smash Master
MajinLink 287 said:
Reading that really makes me think that the Revolution truly will get attention more than ever. Sure, Sony has a lot of money, but look at how much they are spending to make all of this, $494.00, each console. If they reduce the price of it, which I'm sure they will, it's only going to be by a little bit. I'm aiming at either 450 or 400. I mean, this is WITHOUT paying taxes, you're looking at paying more than $450.00 guranteed and over $500.00 if the PS3 is set at a selling price of $450.00, and that's just the console with one controller! You might want to pick up a controller or two so when friends come over and buy a couple of games that look really badass and then maybe some extra peripherals to help boost your playing experience with your dandy PS3. Yeah, you're looking at paying well over 600-800, close to $1000.00, on the PS3!
Yes, now I see why people would bash on the PS3...
I guess I missed the price. That would be a problem if things are too expensive.

SuperMajinLink 287

Smash Lord
NukeA6 said:
I guess I missed the price. That would be a problem if things are too expensive.
Also, you said:
Have any of you held the PS3 controller, played any PS3 game, or even seen what it can do?
Sure, the PS3 is looking to be one nice piece of gaming hardware, but what good is having something like that if you have to spend so much **** money just to get it. More people are going to be thinking about the price of a console than the looks of it. I truly believe Microsoft and Nintendo made the best moves, Microsoft with its Xbox 360, having it set at a reasonable price range for a good amount of power, while Nintendo is making a revolution with its controller, hopefully, and sells at a good price for the quality it's going to be selling at.

I also agree with JediMasterYoda that comparing something from years ago is retardly stupid of them. The SNES came out in 1992, if my memory serves me correctly, and the PS1 came out in 1996. It applies for the GBA too, which came out years before the PSP, and even though it's meant to compete with the Nintendo DS, they want to put a comparison with the GBA. I guess they just don't want to look bad if they tried to compare to the sale figures of the Nintendo DS, since they pretty much creamed the PSP in sales.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
NukeA6 said:
If not, quit the PS3 bashing and just give it a chance. So what if the controller sucks, you can use the PS2 controller if it bothers you that much.
Actually no. No PS2 peripherals work with the PS3. That includes Dance Pads, Controllers, etc.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Cashed said:
Actually no. No PS2 peripherals work with the PS3. That includes Dance Pads, Controllers, etc.
No PS2 controllers work? That's dumb seeing it's backward compatible with PS1 and PS2 games.

Well I'm still gonna get Playstation 3 along with Revolution (I really don't wanna miss the next SSB; I didn't come to this board for nothing) but Sony better lower the price. $300, I will accept but $500 is overboard. Think about the fans and not your lust for money.

SuperMajinLink 287

Smash Lord
NukeA6 said:
Well I'm still gonna get Playstation 3 along with Revolution (I really don't wanna miss the next SSB; I didn't come to this board for nothing) but Sony better lower the price. $300, I will accept but $500 is overboard. Think about the fans and not your lust for money.
Do you really think that SONY is thinking about their fans? Read this:
Toyo Keizai goes on to interview Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi, who avoided revealing the PS3's price but hinted that it would not be marked down excessively. "Whether consumers think a product is expensive or cheap all depends on the balance between its appeal and price," he said. "Our ideal [for the PS3] is for consumers to think to themselves, 'OK, I'll work more hours and buy it.' We want people to feel that they want it, no matter what."
Yeah, I doubt they're going to be thinking about their fans, they're more concerned about the money than anything else, that's how the business works, they could careless about the fans. The only thing they care about is appealing the fans to the game system with fancy *** graphics and a huge amount of gaming power and other things I don't feel like typing right now to make sure the consumers buy the PS3.

NukeA6

Smash Master
MajinLink 287 said:
Do you really think that SONY is thinking about their fans? Read this:

Yeah, I doubt they're going to be thinking about their fans, they're more concerned about the money than anything else, that's how the business works, they could careless about the fans. The only thing they care about is appealing the fans to the game system with fancy *** graphics and a huge amount of gaming power and other things I don't feel like typing right now to make sure the consumers buy the PS3.

Sad :( . Why is it that people make money above everything else? It's just green paper used for buying things.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
NukeA6 said:
Sad :( . Why is it that people make money above everything else? It's just green paper used for buying things.
Yeah, buying things like a decent life for yourself and your family.

Why the hell should they care about that?

Yes, I know you mean why should the company care about money. Just FYI, that's what companies do. Either they make money or they fail. If they happen to please their fan base along the way, that just means more money for them. It's really rather naïve to think it would or should be otherwise.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Manufacturing a system that costs close to $500 US is a huge risk, even for a company as wealthy as Sony. And that's without a hard drive! If it launches at $399 next year and Microsoft follows through with its planned annual price drops to counter that, I can't see a reason why consumers would flock to the PS3. And trust me, with the Nintendo Revolution making waves (affordabe waves, mind you), it'll be that much more difficult to justify picking one up.

The thing that sold the Playstation 2 was that it was a household name and had such a large user base. Topping it was impossible as long as GTA and the EA Sports games kept coming out for it. But now that those games are just as lucrative (if not more) on Xbox, what can the PS3 offer? Killzone? Sure, but will anyone care about that when Halo 3 comes out?

Ken Kutaragi has been quoted saying the PS3 wasn't even a game machine, if I remember correctly. So what do we have? Seems like an over-expensive, over-hyped system to me that only seeks to have more features and more processing power than its competitors.

And let's not even get into development costs for this beast.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It's a Media Center

I just want a game console.

SuperMajinLink 287

Smash Lord
Maybe Square-Enix will actually start making THE Final Fantasy games, and not some crappy cover up like FF:CC, for the other two systems seeing the huge risk Sony is putting into the PS3? Maybe SE might actually stop making games for the PS3(gasp!) with the risk of the PS3 being unappealing to gamers and looking at the Xbox 360 and/or Revolution as their new medium for developing the games on.

NukeA6

Smash Master
MajinLink 287 said:
Maybe Square-Enix will actually start making THE Final Fantasy games, and not some crappy cover up like FF:CC, for the other two systems seeing the huge risk Sony is putting into the PS3?
Huge risk? More like suicide seeing how this is going.

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
The PS3's controller is really ugly. Do you think they can be origanal with the name of there console or what. I think the Revolution will bring really Revolutionary features not really amazing graphics but amazing gameplay.

NukeA6

Smash Master
SMB PORTAL said:
The PS3's controller is really ugly. Do you think they can be origanal with the name of there console or what. I think the Revolution will bring really Revolutionary features not really amazing graphics but amazing gameplay.
The revolutionary thing they done so far is the controller. I was like WTH when I first saw it. Then, it made perfect sense. I just hope Revolution don't end up like GameCube (which did very well in the beginning but paled out after that).

As for PS3, I just hope they make a cheaper PS3 without the entertainment features. I don't wanna miss out on Devil May Cry 4. I'll most likely still get the console but can they be less greedy? Cheaper things get more sales (and money); any smart company those that.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
MajinLink 287 said:
Maybe Square-Enix will actually start making THE Final Fantasy games, and not some crappy cover up like FF:CC.
Maybe Square-Enix will actually start making THE Final Fantasy games, and not some crappy boobs with magic stuff.

Crystal Chronicles was a GREAT game, despite the whole GBA issue. The fact that they are doing CC for DS And Rev should be great. They're taking note of the WiFi. I know I'd love to have my group of friends go around in a caravan together without GBA's. Just hopefully a bit fore fulfilling storywise, but hey.

SuperMajinLink 287

Smash Lord
mic_128 said:
Maybe Square-Enix will actually start making THE Final Fantasy games, and not some crappy boobs with magic stuff.

Crystal Chronicles was a GREAT game, despite the whole GBA issue. The fact that they are doing CC for DS And Rev should be great. They're taking note of the WiFi. I know I'd love to have my group of friends go around in a caravan together without GBA's. Just hopefully a bit fore fulfilling storywise, but hey.
Well, I'm sure Crystal Chronicles was a good game, but when you play the game by yourself, and have no GBA's to play them with any friends, it did kinda suck. But yeah, I kinda spoke too soon about CC. It actually is fun with more people and with the right equipment, but I was only able to do this ONCE with everyone using a GBA. With the Revolution releasing a CC game, then it might be worthwhile to pick it up.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Sony did not get to the place they are at today by having system that relies only on graphics to sell itself. The PS2 has the worst graphics of all three current systems.

Someone listed sony's name as one of the reasons for them doing well. Please, if ever there was a household name it was Nintendo. Even if you wern't playing a Nintendo system if you were playing games a lot of people called it "playing Nintendo".

In no particular order here are a few reasons some poeple bought a Sony system:
Jak series, Rachet and Clank, Final Fantasy, Xenosaga, Sly Cooper, Kingdom hearts, Metal Gear, Devil may Cry, Tekken, Gran turismo, Dark Cloud, Onimusha, and Katamari.

The developers of these games and others have said they will and/or are already creating games for the PS3.

Plus with the creation of games like Ape escape, Legend of Dragoon, Ico, God of War and the upcoming Shadow of Colossus. Sony has shown that they can make great games to. So even if developers change their minds for whatever reason Sony is perfectly capable of making their own games.

The price may or may not be a problem for Sony. Has anyone been watching the 360? Not only have the system been selling , but expensive bundles that only save you like $20 have been selling. And whats more people have been asking for even more expensive bundles. In the range of $700. They even have newer bundles selling for $4,000.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Chill said:
Sony did not get to the place they are at today by having system that relies only on graphics to sell itself. The PS2 has the worst graphics of all three current systems.

Someone listed sony's name as one of the reasons for them doing well. Please, if ever there was a household name it was Nintendo. Even if you wern't playing a Nintendo system if you were playing games a lot of people called it "playing Nintendo".

In no particular order here are a few reasons some poeple bought a Sony system:
Jak series, Rachet and Clank, Final Fantasy, Xenosaga, Sly Cooper, Kingdom hearts, Metal Gear, Devil may Cry, Tekken, Gran turismo, Dark Cloud, Onimusha, and Katamari.

The developers of these games and others have said they will and/or are already creating games for the PS3.

Plus with the creation of games like Ape escape, Legend of Dragoon, Ico, God of War and the upcoming Shadow of Colossus. Sony has shown that they can make great games to. So even if developers change their minds for whatever reason Sony is perfectly capable of making their own games.

The price may or may not be a problem for Sony. Has anyone been watching the 360? Not only have the system been selling , but expensive bundles that only save you like $20 have been selling. And whats more people have been asking for even more expensive bundles. In the range of $700. They even have newer bundles selling for $4,000.
You just gave me hope for PS3. Thanks.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Chill said:
The 360 is being release on November 22nd, 2005. It is currently not a date past that date.

Chill said:
Correction: A lot of OLD people called it "playing Nintendo," because Nintendo was king when their kids were growing up. Nowadays, you play the PS2, because everybody has a PS2. Everybody doesn't have a Nintendo.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
McFox said:
Correction: A lot of OLD people called it "playing Nintendo," because Nintendo was king when their kids were growing up. Nowadays, you play the PS2, because everybody has a PS2. Everybody doesn't have a Nintendo.
I'd like to add to that if I may. People no longer call it "playing nintendo", they call it "playing playstation" for the same reason as McFox said; everyone has a PS2.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
NukeA6 said:
360 sold out already? Reminds me when PS2 came around.
If Sony did anything wrong this generation, it was the disastrous launch of the PS2. That was one of the most overhyped-but-underdelivered launches in console history.

I remember all the people lining up to get them only to find that Sony didn't ship enough... priceless!

And I'd have to say that 360's current launch lineup beats out the PS2's lackluster launch games. See any must-haves on here?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
McFox said:
The 360 is being release on November 22nd, 2005. It is currently not a date past that date.
What are you talking about? Seriously I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything I never mentioned the release date.

McFox said:
I was speaking about the early to mid 90s. Nintendo lost it's household name status for some reason and it wasn't simply because Sony released a console.

I don't own a PS2 just because other people do. Out of my group of game playing friends only one owned a PS2. All of the rest of us including me owned a gamecube. I don't spend hundreds of dollars just because it's considered cool, my friends do or Elijah Wood tells me to.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Chill said:
What are you talking about? Seriously I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything I never mentioned the release date.
You said (and I quote):

Chill said:
Not only have the system been selling , but expensive bundles that only save you like $20 have been selling. And whats more people have been asking for even more expensive bundles. In the range of $700. They even have newer bundles selling for $4,000.
You kept saying that the 360's been selling when in fact, nothing has been sold yet. Preorders have been placed/purchased, but the system hasn't really been selling. Guess we got our communications crossed.

Chill said:
I was speaking about the early to mid 90s. Nintendo lost it's household name status for some reason and it wasn't simply because Sony released a console.
Which is exactly why I said

McFox said:
It's no longer referred to as playing Nintendo, except by old people.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
McFox said:
You kept saying that the 360's been selling when in fact, nothing has been sold yet. Preorders have been placed/purchased, but the system hasn't really been selling. Guess we got our communications crossed.
When orders are selling out and people are asking for more I think it's fair to say it's selling wether or not it's technically true. You even used the word purchased. It's very unlikely that someone who has already placed an order or payed for it is going to cancel and say I want my money back.

In my original post I said a lot of peole called it playing Nintendo. It wasn't just old people. It was people my age, my parents age and eevryone in between. And your'e right, now it's different but it's like that for a reason.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Finally some real time trailers, not like that Killzone "we swear it's real" crap.

A scene from MGS4 was shown in real-time. Midway through a development team member paused the game, zoomed in and out and rotated the camera around.

And a real-time trailer was shown for a game called WarDevel-unleash the beats within.

Top Bottom