• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PlayStation

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Wow. I guess the whole "We can't show you the Revolution because everyone will steal our ideas thing" wasn't too far off eh?

P.S. - I'm completely serious. I honestly believe that that is an actual product.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
First things first. Gamespot has wardevil down as only a 360 title. IGN has it listed as a 360 and PS3 game. When I find out which it is I'll fix my post.

McFox I don't know if by serious you meant you thought the picture was real and Sony stole Nintendo's controller or if you just think Sony will steal the idea. If it's the first I can tell you the picture is fake. The top right portion of the remote is more rounded than the left side in order to allow the hand to hold it. The hand is the same one seen in Nintendo's pics (Sony is stealing hand models too). The fingers aren't even holding the remote, it's just kinda floating.

If you just think Sony will steal the idea they would probably do one of the following.
a. Produce some cheap knockoff.
b. Pay royalties to Nintendo.
c. Laugh at the idea of paying royalties to Nintendo then produce a cheap knockoff.

Though I do wonder what would happen if they did steal the controller. Mass rioting? Looting? Armageddon?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
When someone on the internet post P.S. I'm serious and doesn't put a little smile face next to it it usually means they are serious. I'ts weird that your a normal person.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
WarDevil is currently being considered for the PS3 and 360. The creatures said the coding for the systems differ greatly and they are deciding basically if it will be worth it to bring it to both platforms.

McFox, I felt I should explain why I thought you were serious. Besides the you saying you were serious. As soon as the revolution conrtoller was unveiled Sony was quick to release a statemnet saying something along the lines of "our controller is still in its developemental stages". Many people speculated that Sony might just create a rumbleless remote "add-on" to its already created EyeToy. How was I to know you weren't one of those people? Anyways that was what made me think you were serious.

But hey, I only have 33 posts what do I know?

And McFox, if you don't forgive me for not being able to tell you were being sarcastic I will kill myself.

P.S. -I'm completely serious. I honestly will kill myself.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Chill said:
McFox, I felt I should explain why I thought you were serious. Besides the you saying you were serious. As soon as the revolution conrtoller was unveiled Sony was quick to release a statemnet saying something along the lines of "our controller is still in its developemental stages". Many people speculated that Sony might just create a rumbleless remote "add-on" to its already created EyeToy. How was I to know you weren't one of those people? Anyways that was what made me think you were serious.

But hey, I only have 33 posts what do I know?

And McFox, if you don't forgive me for not being able to tell you were being sarcastic I will kill myself.

P.S. -I'm completely serious. I honestly will kill myself.
You're insane.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It seems Sony is likely bring an end to the era of region coding. Michael Ephraim, head of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, has said that the PlayStation 3 will most likely not have region encoding technology for games. He says the reason is that it will not be as necessary as it has been, now that international television standards are emerging.

Of course, all Sony's home consoles have been region locked between the USA and Japan, even though they both use the same television and power standards, so that argument seems a little strange.

"If you look at the fact that it will support high-definition TV, which will be a global standard, there's a good likelihood that it will be global region, as for example we've done with the PSP (PlayStation Portable)," said Ephraim.

SCEJ head Ken Kutaragi hinted at the possibility of region free gaming in July, but Ephraim's statement is the first official announcement.

Astute PALGN readers may recall that Sony Australia recently lost an expensive four year legal fight involving mod-chips. The outcome was that mod-chipping a PlayStation was declared legal since Sony had combined their possibly legal copy protection with illegal region protection. The ACCC argued that the region coding was “an artificial trade barrier that unfairly blocked consumers' access to games from other markets which are often cheaper”. As a result, the High Court ruled that while pirating discs was illegal the mod chips did not infringe Australia's copyright laws.

Now while it seems this PlayStation 3 announcement may have been directly related to Sony's loss of legal control of their protection methods, Ephraim has other ideas.
FINALLY! This means for once, PAL teritories might be getting a hold of games that we normally wouldn't get! Whooo!

But then again, if it's just the playstation.....

NukeA6

Smash Master
solidsnake2234 said:
playing games with those controllers must be a b**** to play with.
I don't think that is used in a game itself. It's probably just to turn on the PS3 and access its features. Well, that's what it should do; it don't look too much like a game controller.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
mic_128 said:
FINALLY! This means for once, PAL teritories might be getting a hold of games that we normally wouldn't get! Whooo!

But then again, if it's just the playstation.....
I totally know what you mean. I'd hate it if the PS had somethng the other consoles didn't.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wouldn't the "main" button be an X instead of an O?

That gave it away for me.

OTHERWISE I WOULD HAVE TOTALLY BELIEVED IT

P.S. (SERIOUSLY)

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Kinda old news but the PS3 will support a parental control setting.

Also,
TOKYO--Sony Computer Entertainment announced today that, as of November 29, total worldwide shipment of PlayStation 2 consoles has reached 100 million units. Divided into territories, the company shipped 22.22 million units in Japan and Asia (launch date: March 4, 2000), 40.65 million units in North America (launch date: October 26, 2000), and 37.14 million units in Europe and PAL regions (launch date: November 24, 2000).

SCE comments that the shipment of 100 million PS2 units since launch comes three years and nine months earlier than it did for the original PlayStation from 1995, which reached the mark in nine years and six months after its release. SCE also notes that the original PlayStation was the first game console to ever ship 100 million units.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Giygas said:
Wouldn't the "main" button be an X instead of an O?
Depends. From what I've heard, most Japanese versions of PS2 games use the O button as the main button.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Chill said:
Kinda old news but the PS3 will support a parental control setting.
Whats the bet it was announced after Nintendo did?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The controller is obviously fake as that's the same picture scheme used for the Revolution.

The prototype for the PS3 was shown a while back as more of a boomerang shape. Sony (like Microsoft) focuses less on the one shot innovations and more on good hardware for the developers.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Why will the PS3 kill the XBox360? Why is it so hard to program for? How does it get its incredible power?

The Cell Processor's architecture explains all these things.

Why does the Cell use almost no electricity, and conversely, creates little heat? Why does it have no bandwidth, yet is still able to access data faster than the XBox360's processor? How does a single processor have the power to calculate sound, physics, graphics and player input simultaneously without multiple processors? Why is the Cell a true Super-Computer on a single microchip?

Geek Warning: Very Technical

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Why is it going to be far more costly then an Xbox 360?

kaid

Smash Master
In short, Sony has put all it's chips in the pot for a massive gamble. Their cards are fairly strong, but if they lose with the PS3, they will be years recouping their losses, and Micro$oft is primed to cut them off at the knees.

If they win however... they will have the inside track on building cell processors into ANYTHING, including the PSP2. Combined with Blu-ray disks, which again they would have the inside track on, they will be primed to dominate not just the gaming market but the computer/electronics industry in general.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
mic_128 said:
Why is it going to be far more costly then an Xbox 360?
Actually, cost to manufacture is going to be less costly in the long run after they start mass production because it requires less resources to create. Sony is already making deals and contracts with microchip producers like Motorola and Samsung so that they can get the processor manufactured as cheaply as possible.

Sony isn't exactly new to this scene, they are doing their best to keep costs low and profits high. According the the Wall Street Journal, Sony was waiting till after M$ released the 360 to see how gamers reacted to the $300/$400 price plan. Sony's plan is to either release their console at $350 if both price points sell well to just cut it in half or to just sell it at $400 if nobody buys the 360 core console.

kaid said:
If they win however... they will have the inside track on building cell processors into ANYTHING, including the PSP2. Combined with Blu-ray disks, which again they would have the inside track on, they will be primed to dominate not just the gaming market but the computer/electronics industry in general.
No, Sony always planned to use the Cell in all of their equipment from the PS3 on. Everything from wristwatches to Home Theater Systems, due to the fact that the Cell will actually be cheaper to manufacture than regular processors as well as using less power and being naturally smaller. Imagine any handheld device with the power of Cell; PDAs, PSP2, GPS, etc. More power, longer life.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I was actually asking that as a retorical question. Either way, with all the super-powered gizmo's it's still going to cost more.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
mic_128 said:
I was actually asking that as a retorical question. Either way, with all the super-powered gizmo's it's still going to cost more.
What Gizmo does PS3 have that the 360 doesn't?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Ok, thank you for doing it, but you don't have to say it in EVERY POST.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
Credit for this post goes to RKBauer from Gamefaqs.com

1. No Live! In fact, Sony came out and recently announced that they're not even going to bother to build an answer to Xbox Live.

Sony, you can keep your ability to plug in 7 controllers. I'll take being able to play with 32+ other players on live in a fps over 7 controllers any day of the week.

2. The 36.5 megabits per second blu ray drive that Sony is squeezing into the PS3.

The BD-Rom drive that's going to be used in the PS3 has a speed of 36.5 MBits per second. 36.5megaBITS per second, not megaBYTES. 8bits=1byte=4.5megaBYTES per second. http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/

This is because the technology for the drives will still be in it's infancy when the ps3 is being launched.

That means in order to fill the 256MB cache (to load a decent sized race on GT4 let's say) will take about 56 seconds of waiting.

To fill the same 256MB cache on the Xbox 360's 12x DVD drive read at 15.75MB/s (megabytes) = 15 seconds

I know you know your math.

If you want an idea of how long a minute is, try staring at a clock for a minute and see how bored you get.

I'm not going to stand for huge loading times next gen as well. Long load times are meant to be a thing of the past. But Sony is making sure that's not the case by insisting on using Blu Ray drives when the technology (and their read speeds) are still so early.

On top of this, Playstation 3 Blu Ray drive will cost Gamers $100+ per console. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25901

And within 1 year, once blu-ray movies actually start coming out, the same $100 would probably buy you a far faster 4x or 8x blu-ray player that functions a lot better (compare watching DVDs on a standalone player vs. on the original ps2). And do you really think that, if blu-ray does come out on top, that the 360 won't release with a version that can play blu-ray versions as well? Legally, as long as MS pays the same small fees that other blu ray player manufacturers pay to use Sony's tech, Sony can't stop MS from putting blu ray drives in their 360s. And by then, the drives will likely be a lot cheaper, and a lot faster than the ones found in the launch PS3s.

3. Opting for 8 USB ports and multiple memory card readers over a HDD.

There's no reason to put in like 8 USB ports and all these freaking memory card readers and all these other ports that no one wants. We can buy a memory card adapter if we want.

We don't need 3 ethernet ports, one will be more than plenty. JUST INCLUDE 4 USB 2.O PORTS, 1 ETHERNET PORT, SUPPORT FOR SONY MEMORY STICK DUOS (since that's what psp uses and that's what makes Sony the most money) AND THE STUFF TO CONNECT TO ANALOG AND HDTVS.

USE THE MANUFACTURING COSTS YOU SAVE TO THROW IN A CHEAP 5GB HDD so developers can make games like Blinx or FFXI or use the HDD to reduce load times and stuff.

IF A SMALL HDD IS INCLUDED IN EVERY SYSTEM, EVERY DEVELOPER WILL USE IT TO REDUCE LOAD TIMES. Don't you guys want developers to use the hdd to reduce loadtimes, to make games like FFXI that require a HDD? wouldn't that be better than a bunch of useless ports that no one will use that you can just buy an adapter for if you really need?

SELL THE ADAPTER TO CONNECT OLD PS2 AND PS1 GAMES SEPERATELY FOR LIKE $10 AND YOU'LL MAKE ENOUGH TO COMPENSATE FOR THE HDD. Once we transfer all our old saves over to the HDD, we can just sell it on ebay or something and it's one less ugly port we have to look at.

HDD = Custom soundtracks, downloadable content, FFXI style mmorpgs, faster load times.

Multiple seperate Memory Card Readers Built in = Worthless

4. Sony disabling the ability to have LAN parties (without getting wired controllers) by insisting on using bluetooth controllers over Infrared ones.

"Bain admitted that the wireless signal could be interfered with by another nearby PlayStation 3 console and in those instances where many consoles would be close by, such as at a LAN party, it would be necessary to default to using wired controllers"

5. The Cell.

Not only is the cell processor going to jack up the price of the PS3 quite a bit. It's greatly bottlenecked by the 512 MBs of L2 Cache (the 360 has twice that much L2 Cache).

For all the hype about the cell. Guess what, the processor means jack when it comes to gaming. 3 3.2 ghz cores vs. 1 3.2 ghz core and 7 PPEs mean nothing. What matters for gaming is the GPU. And most reports (anandtech etc.) state that the 360's graphics card is almost a generation more advanced. This makes sense, ATI built the card from the ground up with technology that won't make it's way into PC cards for atleast an year or so. The NVIDEA card in the PS3 is identical to the card as what'll be available for the PC in a month or two. The only thing that the cpu will actually matter for is the AI. And AI is more depenedent on L2 cache (this is what ultimately determines the number of simultanous algorithms you can run at any one time) than on processing speed. And guess what, the 360's has twice the L2 cache of the PS3's Cell!

6. No requirement to make developers use 720p.

People make the ps3s 1080i sound like it's going to be standard. All that sony said was the the PS3 supports aka. can theoretically output 1080i.

Guess what, the original Xbox "supports" 720p (identical to how the ps3 will "support" 1080i).

Want to guess how many Xbox games actually came out offering 720p? I'll give you one guess.

Want to take a guess how many ps3 games will actually offer 1080i (Or the even more useless dual monitor output) esp. considering how much extra work it'll be to render everything at that resolution for two monitors - as if the PS3's measly 512 L2 Cache isn't already enough of a bottleneck?

The cool thing about the 360 is that all the games are required to support 720p, and considering that's a MUCH MUCH MUCH higher resolution than DVDs, it's more than enough.

7. Accessible cost

Blu-ray wont be cheap! Cell won't be cheap! Odds are, when the PS3 finally does come out, MS will lower the price a bit and the PS3 will cost a small fortune by comparison. The discs cost a small fortune to manufacture, don't expect games under $70 atleast for an year or so, and if then you consider the development costs who knows!

8.The Games.

Well this one is kind of a toss up. The Xbox 360's Kameo, Enchant Arm, Perfect Dark (drool), RE5, Gears of War, Blue Dragon, Oblivion, FPS, Racers (Forza, PGR), DOA etc. vs. GTA 4 and whatever sequels Sony has planned. What is true is the 360s gaming library will get a one year head start, and the PS3's will probably take a long time to catch up, if ever.

9. The Design.

Well this is personal opinion too. But who came with the brilliant idea to model it after a building anyways? Fire them and make it look next gen. My old Atari Jaguar looks less crappy. YOU CALL THAT A NEXT GEN DESIGN!? There is really no symmetry to it at all. Put the drive in the middle, get rid of the weird ridges and make it actually look smooth in the front and back and well. Then you have a next gen looking consoles.

IT REALLY WOULDN'T TAKE MANY ALTERATIONS TO MAKE THE CONSOLE LOOK AWESOME, GET RID OF THE RIDGES SO ITS LOOKS PERFECTLY SMOOTH ON THE FRONT AND THE BACK, MOVE THE CD TRAY TO THE MIDDLE TO MAKE THE CONSOLE SYMMETRICAL. IT WOULD LOOK AWESOME.

10. Developer ***.

No one has any experience working with the Cell. 7 PPEs, seriously, you think any developer is going to have any idea how to utilize them? Just making a game that uses dual processors takes a 50% larger budget. Meanwhile, developers are already raving about how much easier Microsoft's standards and XNA development kits are making it to develop 360 games. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper to manufacture the discs too. Even small developers with just $100,000 can make their own game and sell it via Xbox Live marketplace.

And as already mentioned the L2 cache of the PS3's cell in miniscule. Most PC processors and the 360's processor have twice the cache. To make a processor with half the cache and expect it to be shared among 7 PPEs is just asking for developers to curse Sony day and night.

On top of all this, by the time the PS3 launches, developers will have had loads of experience of utilizing the 360. Expect the 2nd generation 360 games using much smaller budgets to blow the first generation PS3 games out of the water graphically.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
You are aware Sony was online with the PS2 right? Look at FFXI and Socom. They already have the adaptor. Live just provides a medium for games to meet up.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Crimson King said:
You are aware Sony was online with the PS2 right? Look at FFXI and Socom. They already have the adaptor. Live just provides a medium for games to meet up.
I think that's what the guy was trying to say. They're going to continue to have online gaming be like it is on PS2, with no medium.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Sony said earlier this year that they have begun working on creating a unified online experience, the "we're just going to leave things as they are" statement is false.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
They also said last month that they weren't going to change it at all.

NukeA6

Smash Master
RaptorHawk said:
8.The Games.

Well this one is kind of a toss up. The Xbox 360's Kameo, Enchant Arm, Perfect Dark (drool), RE5, Gears of War, Blue Dragon, Oblivion, FPS, Racers (Forza, PGR), DOA etc. vs. GTA 4 and whatever sequels Sony has planned. What is true is the 360s gaming library will get a one year head start, and the PS3's will probably take a long time to catch up, if ever.
Just seeing this proves your nothing but an X-BOX 360 fanboy. They mentioned nothing of GTA 4 lately. Try looking at other games it's releasing. Also realize how bad the launch of 360 is. Look at all the problems 360 has. Last time I checked, it was getting bad feedback.

Post things that actually true rather than pulling it out of your @$$.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I have an X-Box and I have yet to have a single issue with it. I completely modded mine and still nothing that required a replacement.

My best guess is it's just disgruntled Nintendo and Sony fanboys putting alot of bad feedback for the 360.

The PS3 will have great games. That's a given. But to say it will just have sequels is pretty stupid. Plus, there is nothing wrong with sequels to begin with. Warhawk, Killzone 2, GTA 4, and MGS 4 will be great games for the PS3. So I don't see why that's a problem if the games are good.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Crimson King said:
I have an X-Box and I have yet to have a single issue with it. I completely modded mine and still nothing that required a replacement.
I've heard of freezing, disk scratching, etc. But don't get me wrong; X-BOX 360 has great games. perfect Dark Zero and DOA 4 make me drool (perfect dark zero especially, who doesn't want that game?).

Anyway, does X-Box 360 still have that "burn-houses-down" power cord?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Mic_128 said:
They also said last month that they weren't going to change it at all.
Can you show me a link? I'm not doubting you but I'd like to read it for myself.

There are more than a few things on that list that are untrue or presumptious. As Nuke pointed out the GTA 4 thing, if anyone thinks that the PS3s success hinges on GTA4( a non exclusive game) they are being extremley fanboyish.

EDIT: If either Sony or Nintendo does not create(copy) something like Live the're just being stupid.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Not necessarily. Just because Live is so great doen't mean everyone should try to mimmick it. My biggest issues with the PS2 online program, and why I never got it, was the lack of depth in games. The games were strictly fighting and few FPSes. I am hoping for a good online program.

By the way, how do I cancel X-Box Live?

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
NukeA6 said:
Just seeing this proves your nothing but an X-BOX 360 fanboy. They mentioned nothing of GTA 4 lately. Try looking at other games it's releasing. Also realize how bad the launch of 360 is. Look at all the problems 360 has. Last time I checked, it was getting bad feedback.

Post things that actually true rather than pulling it out of your @$$.
Actually I dont like the 360 all that much. I think you may have missed the very first part of my post saying that "Credit for this post goes to RKBauer from Gamefaqs.com." I just posted it to see what people had to say about it. Next time read a little more carefully.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Crimson King said:
Not necessarily. Just because Live is so great doen't mean everyone should try to mimmick it. My biggest issues with the PS2 online program, and why I never got it, was the lack of depth in games. The games were strictly fighting and few FPSes. I am hoping for a good online program.

By the way, how do I cancel X-Box Live?
Really? I've only gone online with the PS2 once and that killed my joy for it. Was it Sony's online program you were using or one made specifically for those games?

Top Bottom