• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playstation All-Stars...Round 2? [Possible Sequel Discussion]

Should Playstation Allstars Round 2 Come to be?

• Yes. (wether or not it needs a new gameplay style or just more characters)

Votes: 59 83.1%
  • No. Such Ripoff.

Votes: 12 16.9%

• Total voters

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Pretty much this. I wasn't a big fan of the super kills mechanic as well.
I think it should keep the Super Kill mechanic. It's a lot better than having someone steal your KOs just because they got the last hit.

Either keep that or change it to life bars.

Last edited:

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Surprised this thread is still going on, I still have hope for a sequel in the future. Hopefully naughty dog (the original planned developer for this game) or maybe another developer will get contacted by Santa Monica to work on a sequel.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
You know, after thinking about this for some months, I think the next game should be 3D style like Power Stone. 3D games has always been the primary focus of the PlayStation consoles and most of the biggest names on those consoles are 3D action-adventure games. So this game being a 3D arena fighting game is much more fitting compared to the 2D platform-style that Smash Bros. has. Make it like Power Stone, keep the three level Super system but give them lifebars (as well as stocks as an option) and THEN it would be a huge success. Sony Santa Monica could very well pull this off due to their experience in multiplayer combat games (God of War Ascension).

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
To be completely honest, Playstation All Stars is a fun game for what it is. It's not every day where you get to play as Raiden and smack the crap outta Kratos and the stages were pretty fun to play on if not for the wacky combination of franchises they did with them.

However, it is heavily flawed. Here are some things they could improve with the sequel, if it ever happens:

1. The overall presentation: The game looks bland and uninteresting in almost every department: the art style, the overall visuals, the menu layout and presentation which is generic and bland, everything looks like it was just rushed out the door with no thought for quality. Some of the models look all right, but the characters seem to have different art styles (put Sly Cooper next to Big Daddy), it just doesn't look good at all and makes everyone stick out like a sore thumb. Also, add more variety to the super moves, in particular the Level 3's. Most of them are screen nukes or exit screen and it's just lazy.

2. The super mechanic: I get what they were going for, but it missed the mark. Making it the only way to kill someone in the game is just stupid and makes landing hits seem holy unrewarding, outside of meter. Some Level 1's are busted to the point of being better then their Level 3, that shouldn't be the case. Once the super misses, it's back to playing lame until you get another hit in to gain meter, rinse and repeat. It's boring. Either get rid of it all together, or make it so that there is only 1 super move that is equivalent to a Level 3 and do it like Street Fighter IV where you get to choose 1 out of 2 potential supers. Or at least have a health meter to have the characters die, just so we don't have to rely on just solely the supers to kill.

3. The roster: Some of the additions don't make sense and some were clearly there for promotional material. Having two Cole's is beyond stupid, Big Daddy shouldn't be in the roster as he did not debut on Playstation at all (I think he might be promotional due to Infinite on PS3 coming with the original Bioshock), New Dante is obviously promotional and not nearly as good as Old Dante (though he is cooler here then in DmC...), Isaac from Dead Space doesn't make any sense here, etc. Where are other Sony All Stars like Crash, Spyro or Lara, or why not have 3rd party franchises that use your platform as their primary one like Persona, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear or Disgaea?

4. More Modes: This game is bare bones on modes. The only mode outside of online mode and versus mode is the Arcade Mode and pretty much nothing else. Why not have a story mode and make it like Mortal Kombat 9 with it's multiple universe ideas? Why not have something like a Tournament Mode? There could have been quite a lot here, but it's just completely barren and it gets boring quickly.

There can be so much done for the sequel to make it a significant improvement over the first one if it ever comes to fruition.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
How about a velocity KO system?

Introduce scaling knockback like in Smash, but instead of counting a KO when a fighter crosses the edge of the screen, what if they were KO'd when they cross the speed limit?

So if you spend too long flying above Mach 1, you get KO'd, but you can decrease your speed slightly through SDI and teching.

I've had that idea in my head for a while. What do you think about it?

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I'm happy that other Smash fans also liked and want a Playstation Allstars sequel. I also would love for there to be a sequel!

If we got one there is so much potential. Number 1 thing (that comes to mind) that Sony needs to do is to fix their mistake of leaving out their former third party Mascots.

- Crash Bandicoot
- Spyro the Dragon
- Cloud Strife
- Lara Croft
- Dante (Classic)
- Solid Snake (Konami admittedly might not let Snake into Allstars....)

If we can get those and some of the newer faces it could be real big!

As for gameplay? I'd stick with the Super System. However, add new modes for those that dislike that system. Call the Super System; "Classic Mode" and then add the other modes.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Playstation AllStars 2 needs to have the Groovitron as an item. That is the most iconic Ratchet and Clank weapon, and there is no excuse for its absence from AllStars. Like, you could afford to give everyone a unique animation for being caught in Heihachi's Level 3, but letting Kratos and Radec dance was somehow beyond you?

This is why you are a joke in gaming culture, AllStars.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Playstation AllStars 2 needs to have the Groovitron as an item. That is the most iconic Ratchet and Clank weapon, and there is no excuse for its absence from AllStars. Like, you could afford to give everyone a unique animation for being caught in Heihachi's Level 3, but letting Kratos and Radec dance was somehow beyond you?

This is why you are a joke in gaming culture, AllStars.
I've never seen Playstation Allstars as a "joke". The only unfortunate thing is Sony wasn't able to get the most wanted/expected characters. Yet, Super Smash Bros. got Cloud. That just seems plain unfair.

AlRex

Smash Lord
I'm of the opinion they should either 1. Just use the same sort of KO system as Smash. Keep metered supers, but don't make them the only way to beat an opponent.
...or...
2. Make it a 3D arena fighter, rather than a 2D platform fighter. Considering that a lot of Nintendo characters have their roots in 2D and/or platforming, it makes a lot of sense for them. But a lot of the PlayStation characters have their roots in 3D action or platformers, with very few, if any, being on the 2D plane. Something more akin to Power Stone, Anarchy Reigns, J Stars VS, or even take some minor cues from the likes of Tekken. That'd be, IMO, a more fitting representation of the characters and how most of them play in their home games. But I was met with minor disagreement on this in the other thread. Who knows?

Anyways, I did also attempt a sort of dream roster for this, albeit, with what I could find in the Roster Maker by default:
Playstation All-Stars 2 Roster.png

Perhaps too many third parties, but I think I managed a decent pull from Sony's own library, and the third parties are mostly a huge part of either gaming or the PlayStation's own legacy in general.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I really don't think going full 3D fighter would make it better. Playstation Allstars was fun enough. It just needs more modes. Open it up and add more major characters.

I think that if we got Playstation Allstars 2 the Super/Kill mode would just be the "Classic" mode. They could create other modes that use newer mechanics.

Not too bad of a selection. I definitely wouldn't add Q-bert, Raz, or Ezio though. They are multi platform characters. I think we could add:

- Ellen from Folklore
- 2B from Nier: Automata
- Knack from Knack
- Dollface from Twisted Metal
- Raven from Gravity Rush
and many more.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Q*Bert and the Lemming are apparently currently owned by Sony and they’re iconic enough, I think, that they could be added. As for the 3D thing, it could go either way, but like I said, I just think it represents PlayStation better and could help stand out. I would’ve added another Twisted Metal character, but I’ll have to download more character icons later.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I didn't know Q*Bert was owned by Sony. Huh.... what would his move set even be like? (Never played his game.)

AlRex

Smash Lord
It’d be a rather strange moveset, given that his source game is kind of surreal and he has no arms, but for recovery, there’s a flying disc that can bring you back to the top of the stage, so adapting that could work. There also enemies/hazards like bouncing balls and spring snakes, plus, at some points, he’s shot projectiles from his snout, or at least there was initially a plan to do so. There’s a MUGEN of Q*Bert that shows giving him a moveset isn’t impossible: https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=39s&v=A5fcP4dwjqg

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
if there was a sequel, i'd like to see some obscure characters get in the game.
some of my personal choices would be:
Ari and Stan (Okage Shadow King)
Poor Boy (Chulip)
Tomba
Vibri (Vib Ribbon)
Gex
Mr. Domino (No One Can Stop Mr. Domino)
Dart (Legend Of Dragoon)

Oh and i'd also like to see a Persona character make it in as well.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
If we did get a sequel; Dart would be high on the list. My guess is fans are still upset Dart wasn't in Battle Royal. So, Dart seems like a safe bet.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I would support but the game would need to change up some stuff. Make it play like Smash because super kills only was bad.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I'd say keep the Supers but make it for the "Classic Mode". That way you don't lose fans that actually liked Battle Royal.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I made character profile pages of some of my most wanted characters back when PSASBR was still in development. Sadly, I only uploaded three of them and the rest I lost when my old computer crashed. Still would like to see them included.

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Chimera and Lara Croft (glad you went with classic Lara ) fit well. Star Killer does not.

Honestly, Chimera is one of my most wanted for Playstation Allstars 2.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I just had an awesome idea on how Sony could announce Playstation Allstars 2 if they were to announce it at E3.

Imagine at the end of Sony's conference; Crash (the guy in a Crash Bandicoot suit from all those classic commercials) walks out congratulating Spyro on his new Reignited Trilogy then starts talking smack about Mario... "We are back Home.... that's right Mustash Man I'm talking to you. Pay attention Mean Jeans because this will blow your mind!" "Me and my friends got a surprise for you so Brace Yourself!"

*Madeon's Grand Finale begins to play* *Followed by gameplay* What do you think?

Edit: Playstation Allstars 2 did not happen at E3. :( Hoping that it will someday.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Yeah, it could be great to see a second Playstation All-Stars game as long as it has Crash and Spyro. And I wonder if it could share Snake and Cloud with Smash Bros?

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
If Crash, Spyro, Cloud, Lara Croft, Snake & Dante (Classic) all appear in Playstation Allstars 2; it'd beat the first games support on them alone. Not to mention it'd likely out sell Battle Royal.

Add in:

Chimera (Resistance)
2B (Neir: Automata)
Ellen (Folklore)
Rayman (Rayman)
Agumon (Digimon)
and many, many more; then you easily top what Battle Royal did.

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
I actually platinumed the first game when procrastinating an essay one time. I think the game had some neat things about it but I feel like it would benefit from being a more direct Smash rip-off. Also the cast was not PlayStation All Stars lmao. Missing some very big PS names.

This stage actually surprised me when the Songbird appeared and Elizabeth's theme played. It made me finally play through Bioshock 1 & 2 and replay Infinite.

Honestly even though it would never happen, I'd happily welcome the Big Daddy into Smash lol. I think BioShock is a series that is worthy of being in Smash even if its ill-fitting with its tone.

Last edited:

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Even though it would have to be on PS4, I would DIE for a sequel right about now if Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Dart Field, Patapon, and a whole load of PlayStation fighters join the fight. No idea why, but since Toro Inoue was in it, I wanted to see the robot Suzuki join the battle next.

This is the theme I could imagine next:

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
If Crash, Spyro, Cloud, Lara Croft, Snake & Dante (Classic) all appear in Playstation Allstars 2; it'd beat the first games support on them alone. Not to mention it'd likely out sell Battle Royal.

Add in:

Chimera (Resistance)
2B (Neir: Automata)
Ellen (Folklore)
Rayman (Rayman)
Agumon (Digimon)
and many, many more; then you easily top what Battle Royal did.
The roster would be AWESOME! :)

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I wonder what will happen if Super Smash Bros Ultimate is the last Smash Bros (not likely). What would that mean for Playstation Allstars? Could it carry on as the new standard bearer?

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
if they actually went the distance and made it more like smash brothers, they need to do it
they also need to add MORE iconic playstation characters. spyro, crash, croc, sweet tooth, lara croft, parappa, etc. characters that built Sony. some fad characters from the last 3 years doesn't cut it
then add more obscure characters like akuji, gex, or raziel so that we get the melee marth & roy effect

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I just had a thought with regards to Kratos:

Would you rather:
- Kratos returns as he was in Battle Royal?
- Kratos from God of War 4 replaces Kratos from Battle Royal?
- Kratos & Atreus?
- Kratos (Battle Royal) returns with Kratos (God of War 4)? (sort of like Cole & Evil Cole)

If Kratos returns and they add God of War 4 Kratos how would you like them to be named?
- Ghost of Sparta (Battle Royal Kratos)?
- Kratos & Atreus?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Maybe Kratos should return as he was in Battle Royale with God of War 4 Kratos as an alternate costume?

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
As the Leviathan Ax is Kratos's main weapon in God of War 4; I think it'd be best to have both versions be playable. After all, Smash Bro fans have no serious problems with 2 Marios and 3 Links.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I say GOW4 Kratos should be his default while his original look should be an alternate costume.

But I wouldn't mind if they were two separate versions.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I actually platinumed the first game when procrastinating an essay one time. I think the game had some neat things about it but I feel like it would benefit from being a more direct Smash rip-off. Also the cast was not PlayStation All Stars lmao. Missing some very big PS names.
I don't think it would have benefit from being a Smash rip-off. It will just be seen as unoriginal and almost pointless to even play with Smash Bros. already being out. It needs to do something that's more unique that helps sets it apart from Smash Bros.

If anything, it should be more like Power Stone. Since the PlayStation brand focuses more on 3D games, Power Stone's style would be far more fitting than Smash Bros.'s style.

Also, the cast was PlayStation All-Stars. It had Kratos, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Sir Dan, Cole MacGrath, Nathan Drake, Sweet Tooth, Sackboy, Toro, and Heihachi. Those are PlayStation All-Stars no doubt.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I want a sequel, but good lord get rid of that ****ty mechanic where you HAVE to use a super to KO someone.
That pretty much sunk the game, in my opinion.

I also would have likely considered adding a few more fighters and maybe tried to at least double the female fighters, even if that extra character was a third-party contender.

Incidentally, I do think about Abe being an Assist Trophy in Ultimate, where he can easily be defeated, but if he hangs around long enough, he has the ability to transform into the God Shrykull, and unleashes lightning throughout the stage.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I think it'd be better off sticking similar to Battle Royal but adding few new modes aside from the Super KOs. Super KOs can can the "Classic" Mode and whatever else can be the "Special" Mode or whatever else they'd call it.

I really don't think it'd be a good idea to go the Powerstone route. I think that'd turn away fans of the Original like myself. Add new important characters like Crash, Spyro, Lara Croft, Cloud, Classic Dante, Aloy, etc. and balance it better and it should do better than Battle Royal.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
People still love the Power Stone games, some even more than Smash Bros. I don't see why that would turn fans away. People know that PlayStation primarily focuses on 3D games, so if this game is suppose to pay tribute to that, then why not the game itself be 3D like Power Stone? It makes the most sense. Plus, the majority of the biggest names on PlayStation consoles come from 3D action games, so a Power Stone style game would be a natural fit.

I use to didn't want it to change either but you really gotta visualize the game with these characters in order to understand why it works.

Also, I'd like to see Astro from Astro Bot make it in too.

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Just because Playstation has a history with 3D worlds/games doesn't mean it should go for a 3D fighting style. Remember that Super Smash Bros for the N64 was still 2D despite the N64s push for full 3D games at the time. The Power Stone style just doesn't appeal to as many people. It's also a much more complex system. It's not a bad system; just one that doesn't grab as many people.

I wouldn't want Sony to switch playstyles from one game to the next either. Keep it consistent.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
The first Smash game was on N64, but many Nintendo characters have their roots from 2D games, mostly platformers, so that's why a style like that was more fitting for them. After all, the game was made by somebody who is known for making 2D platformers, namely the Kirby games.

Likewise, these characters have their roots from 3D games, so a Power Stone-style game is more fitting. And it actually does appeal to many people. Like I said already, many fans to this day still love those games and they're easy to pick up and play, just like the Smash games. It's also a good way to distinguish itself from Smash Bros. and be seen as its own thing (in which it really should).

Though if they do stick with the 2D style, I wouldn't complain. I like both styles but just feel that a 3D style like Power Stone makes more sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom