• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale": Sony's version of Super Smash Bros.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The only reason I said Lightning is because she definitely (sadly) appeals more to the younger generation of players. On top of that, they are planning a FF13-3, so why not toss her in there to make sure is still in people's heads?

And surprisingly, the G-faqs poll on the game's message board, had Lightning winning last I checked >_>

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
At the gonintendo link, the idea of Mario in PS Battle Royale will not happen. Mario is just too precious an IP for Nintendo to just let anyone borrow, and after that CD-i debacle, I'm sure Nintendo's put a chastity belt on all of their franchises. That said, IF (and I stress the word "if"), Mario is added to the roster, I'm sure it would come at quite the cost. You think WWE's Vince McMahon's Kiss-My-*** club was bad? Nintendo will probably have Sony do something even more uncomfortable than simple ***-kissing.

The only reason I said Lightning is because she definitely (sadly) appeals more to the younger generation of players. On top of that, they are planning a FF13-3, so why not toss her in there to make sure is still in people's heads?

And surprisingly, the G-faqs poll on the game's message board, had Lightning winning last I checked >_>
Disregarding GameFAQs, I can actually see them choosing Lightning over Cloud for the reason you stated. Also, the "For Micheal" PS3 commercial showed Lightning there too, so it's definitely possible to see her as a playable character.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If you watch the video from the Go-Nintendo article, the question asked is along the lines of "If you could have one character, even one that would be impossible..." and the guy answered Mario.

Clearly a lot of people did not watch the video or seemed to selectively ignore that part. I mean, I see nothing wrong with the guy hoping he could have Mario in the game, even if there is a 0% chance of it.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
If you watch the video from the Go-Nintendo article, the question asked is along the lines of "If you could have one character, even one that would be impossible..." and the guy answered Mario.

Clearly a lot of people did not watch the video or seemed to selectively ignore that part. I mean, I see nothing wrong with the guy hoping he could have Mario in the game, even if there is a 0% chance of it.
Oh, I saw the video, and I knew the question was hypothetical. Still, if Sony ever felt they wanted to make some deal with Nintendo to include Mario, they're going to have to really kiss Nintendo's *** with Guerlain’s KissKiss Gold and Diamonds lipstick.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
someone on gamefaqs made a comparison, saying Smash is to Sumo wrestling what All-Stars is to professional wrestling. somehow,it made sense.

Smash Bros. comes from Japan and to win, you have to ring out your opponent. PS All-Stars comes from America and to win, you perform your flashy signature moves.
that.....is just creepy.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Smash Bros. comes from Japan and to win, you have to ring out your opponent. PS All-Stars comes from America and to win, you perform your flashy signature moves.
Holy **** that makes sense.

I was thinking about something, you know how Superbot's getting the original voice actors for the characters? If Spyro is in the game that means we will either be getting Tom Kenny or Elijah Wood to voice act! That would be amazing.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Community Manager @ Superbot (Daniel Mantiago) exposed Paul stating that Paul has no relationship with them; however, Paul has a reliable source that has told him everything about the game so...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
From what I read, most people think he's not a guy with any real information. Mainly after he leaked the game early, while making some solid predictions. His hints from thereon out have been super vague and lacking in detail.

Apparently, he also lied by claiming he and Omar from Superbot had some sort of business like relationship. Though that one is debatable.

Honestly, I don't care enough to hate the guy. I just think people are being too obsessive. Prior to Toro and Heiachi debuted, all he said was that one was a cat, and another a famous martial artist. You can see how vague that was. For some reason, haters attribute it to him just being lucky or not knowing as much people think he does.

Bionichute

Smash Champion

Somebody made this and put it on the Superbot Facebook page, and I have to say it has pretty much all the characters I want on it. Aside from Lightning. And Crash has his new design.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Early thoughts and gameplay

I had a chance to speak with Clockw0rk and play PS All-Stars Battle Royale with him for a few hours on wednesday. The game is shaping up well, though there are a lot of one-on-one issues that superbot is still looking over. Game is interesting, I'll be picking it up. I wrote an article about the game

http://www.dualshockers.com/2012/07...tars-smashing-off-its-nose-to-spite-its-face/

Any and all feedback is welcome.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I got to play this game for about half an hour and it's pretty cool. Nothing mind blowing but it's fun enough to play. The controls are simple, as expected, but the movements felt odd. Stage hazards aren't too bad imo but the demo stages were big enough to score two kills and run from my opponent striking every now and then for meter. The 1v1 mechanic is what I think might kill this game competitively, doubles would definitely be more appealing (for some reason) to a spectator imo.

Also, a Santa Monica Studio rep who was at the Sony booth had a slip of the tongue said that they were planning to have around 25 characters.
do u have a link?

pic 3 may be trickier then that....someone discovered something about the shape.

now look at Pistol's shape. it matches this...

and the gun underneath it? it's got a Bayonet attached O_o.
I believe I seen you around the playstation allstars boards

for those who don't know gamercon will be revealing 3 or 4 characters and will be held in Aug. Also it has been confirmed there will be more then 20 characters by vaious sites like amazon

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle-Royale-3/dp/B007XYBUBE

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I got to play this game for about half an hour and it's pretty cool. Nothing mind blowing but it's fun enough to play. The controls are simple, as expected, but the movements felt odd. Stage hazards aren't too bad imo but the demo stages were big enough to score two kills and run from my opponent striking every now and then for meter. The 1v1 mechanic is what I think might kill this game competitively, doubles would definitely be more appealing (for some reason) to a spectator imo..
I agree almost completely. It's too easy right now to run away, and there's almost no point to being the aggressor the second you take someone out. Blocking is currently being adjusted, to provide a greater disadvantage to guarding all the time (which currently has no disadvantages whatsoever if you have the reaction time to roll out of grab attempts), and SuperBot kind of knows that they focused on the idea of 4 people on the screen rather than just two so there's a happy medium to create.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This wasn't at a panel or presentation so no one besides people around him caught it assuming they were eavesdropping. Having someone report on it would have been cool I suppose.
25 sounds about right though. It's not too crazy to believe.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Seems a bit much for the first game of the series. I know they want to satisfy the community but I wish we had access to a beta so a roster this size would be somewhat balanced by October.

I'm just waiting for 8 certain characters to be shown.

Crash
Spyro
Spike
Snake
Ratchet & Clank (treated as one)
Sir Daniel
Nariko
Mario :troll:

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
It's being QA'd for balance issues. Beta notwithstanding, reps and designers are playing it for the sake of pointing out balance issues.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
I would love for them to include

We don't have any sword users

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
characters I most want in order ( not going to include the pretty much in characters: sackboy, snake, ratchet and clank)
1. crash
2. spyro
3. sir daniel from midevil
4. assasin creed rep
5. kat

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
How about Spike from My Little Pony. He can have fire breath, invisibility (ala Sly Cooper), teleport, grow mustaches at will and make troll comments when he wins.

On a serious note Raiden from MGS would be pretty down. PDOT is right, there are no real sword users so far and Raiden fits the role perfectly.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I hope the game has more semblance of a story than Smash does. I mean, I know fighters typically don't, but it'd still make for a funner game.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Okay with 12 characters on their roster so far, Sweet Tooth, Fat Princess, Parappa, Kratos, Heihachi, Toro, Jak N Daxter, Cole, Radec, Big Daddy, Sly Cooper, & Nathan Drake

I expect a 25 - 30 character roster comprised of:
Lara croft
Bayonetta
Nariko (Heavenly Sword)
Spyro
Crash Bandicoot
Sora
Cloud/Sepiroth
Lightning (Final Fantasy)
Sackboy
Solid Snake
Subzero/Scorpion
Ratchet & Clank
Cpt. Qwark
Altair/Ezio (Assassin's Creed)
Rayman, possibly...all depends
Amaterasu (Okami)
The Prince/Dark Prince (Prince of Persia, Rival Swords/Sands of Time)
& Dante (Devil May Cry)

kinda jealous they got a forum, directly linked from the PASBR site, where they can post all day & the developers might actually look at that for ideas >_>

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I love all the chars except new DMC Dante =/.

Mains are gonna be juggled between Raiden, Spike, and Drake assuming rumor is true.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
On a serious note Raiden from MGS would be pretty down. PDOT is right, there are no real sword users so far and Raiden fits the role perfectly.
Seems like we might have got what we asked for

Top Bottom