• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing to Learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbycidexX

Smash Rookie
Amazing

Without a doubt the greatest thing i've ever read about the Smash Bros. games. Simply amazing. And reading this has actualy improved my game tremendously over the past month. Thank you for this thread

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
good to see mookie's thread is still helping people. this thread really is too good

pretty much the best "get better at smash" thread on the whole boards

D

Deleted member

WOW, this is the greatest thing I've ever read.

I'm not sure if you (mookie) are even still on SmashBoards (i didn't check) but if you are do you have any advice for someone (me) on how to go about "re-learning"smash after taking a few months off from Brawl?

Should I just totally start over, or what? For reference, I was never very good. I was decent at the basics, but I don't have the will (currently) to learn techniques, etc. I'm much better at offense that defense. I rarely even shield. Yeah, I'm that bad.

If anyone else has any ideas to help me out, send me a PM so I don't spam this board any more.

SonicX580

Smash Lord
You have so much wisdom I thank you for creating this guide I was doubting my ablities but thank you and I will enter atourna,emt scene.

M.K

Level 55
This is spectacular.
When I hit my first plateau, I found that merely using strategies verbatum does not always work, and that I really have to adapt to my opponent. It's hard, because I get SO frustrated when I lose...
I'm getting over the plateau right now. I've decided my main characters and I'm sticking with them.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
This is a great guide with amazing advice. This guide will most likely help me through my whole smash career.

Melee1

Smash Journeyman
Amazing guide... This guide makes you think a little bit more critical and the way several smashers view themselves.

Bobtheotherhand

Smash Rookie
Wow.. Thanks. I've already hit a premature "plateau." I'm still at the Novice stage, and have been since Melee first came out. I've been thinking to quit, but this is freaking inspirational. Back to CP playing again, I guess. ^_^
Thanks a million!

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
It's definitely nice to see that this hasn't fallen through the cracks. I'm glad you guys are still finding it useful. ^_^

CK204

Smash Rookie
That was incredible. I had never thought that the seven-item short term memory would apply to a situation like this. Thanks for teaching me how to practice the mechanical elements, but I don't think I have the underhanded characteristic in me. I've traditionally played a very straight and upright game. Illusions are sometimes part of my arsenal (for more than just Smash), and so are mind games and making the opponent nervous, but intimidation and demoralization seem a little too underhanded for me. Regardless, I'm glad I know so that I won't fall victim to these external tactics.

AgentJGV

Smash Journeyman
Great thread good sir. This needs to be stickied, or at least linked from Panda's Thread (if it already hasn't). This needs to be read by every smasher IMO. You basically just defined what separates the boys from the men. again great thread.

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
I'm a definite journeyman. I know enough about the game to be good, and can analyze how people play (especially in 1v1 I can catch on and psyche out my opponent).

Although I don't have enough down to be a pro because, I make far too many mistakes with positioning and don't know every aspect to be 1337 hax. I know what I'm doing wrong most of the time, I'm just impatient, risky, and kinda cocky. I like to win by slim chances or what some may think as a "fluke". Examples being: reflecting some sort of projectile, spiking someone on the ledge, countering an attack, or even sacrificial killing (a personal favorite although rarely works out). In short. I like to win by my opponents mistakes. Which turns out being a mistake of my own sometimes.

Really, I'm just playing to have fun.

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
Nice guide. I hope people read this, which is why I am bumping it. I probably fall into the intermediate/semi pro category.

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
If I read this a hundred times, over and over, I would learn something new every time.

This is genius; thank you.

Spike6sic6

Smash Cadet
Amen to that. Probably the best thread I've read on these boards. A lot of this stuff might come naturally but reading it sure helps.

I think the most important part is analysing yourself. If you can find out your opponent's weakness, it gives you an advantage, but not as much as if you can spot your own weaknesses. When it comes down to getting better, the first place you have to look at is your own self, and that's something that applies to everything in life that involves skills.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
This thread helped me alot. This is just the best thread i've ever read in my entire life no joke. I'll explain why.

Yesterday, i had my very first ''smashfest'' at my house. It was loads of fun. Many people, like 7 or 8 in my little house and playing smash on 2 TVs was awesome. But then again, i felt good. I was like ''I'm not that bad VS those guys'' cause i got beaten by 1 stock. I didn't really care. Until, i got 3 stocked 3 times in a row by a Falco player. He was so calm and playing so fluently, and i was making mistakes all over the place because i couldn't help the fact he was owning me with so much calmness. You should've seen his face. He kept punishing me with everything i did, it was like being in a hell. So, i got all silent. And i didn't know what to do. I decided to switch characters. So Toon Link played his Falco, 3 stocked. DK played his Falco, 3 stocked. IT was unbelievable. Another guy asked me to play him, i was relieved. He was the guy i play the most and i always get beaten by 1 stock. But this time, he owned me 3 stocks a couple of times. I was like: ''how is this possible''. I didn't play for a while, and just watched some other matches. I came to conlusion they weren't playing serious at me normally. But this time they kinda did abit their best and 3 stocked me. And later the guy told me he wast doing abit his best. I couldn't believe this.

Later on msn, the guy explained to me why he was being better than usual. He played alot of tournaments, i haven't played in 1 at all. (I'm going to 1 shortly, if that 1 is going to be there in 2 weeks) He said he plays alot better in tournaments because he's playing to win there. While being at other people's home, he playes to learn, and to improve his game. I was doing my best, and still got owned. He decided to help/tutor me to get better. So i have to play with everyone in the roster and feel which 1 i am confortable with. I picked like 5-6. And he chose which 1 has the best chance at winning in a tournament. He chose DDD. And i actually wanted him to pick DDD XD. Now i'm training with DDD. I need to learn alot about mindgames and all and analyzing my opponent's moves, but this thread helped me alot. I also have to learn to keep my real strength hidden at friendlies, like they did :p If i have to pick a stage, i would be intermidate or maybe journeyman. I know lotsa stuff about tcharacters though, you can see i got the knowsledge already :p

Overall just a nice thread :D

Sean31

Smash Rookie
Wow! I was just wondering how I could find a way to improve my game, and here's this thread! Thanks a bunch for this, I'm going to keep all this in mind for sure!

Winnar

Smash Lord
I read this a long time ago, now I'm reading it again. It's refreshing and interesting, when I first read it I was a casual novice/novice. I feel like I'm probably a journeyman now, on the brink of semi-pro.

Very good read; long, but each part as interesting and important as the last. I especially enjoyed the points about morale. It's so true that morale is underrated. For the longest time I couldn't figure out what the differences in play were between me and higher level players. I'm still not completely sure, even when I've nearly bridged the gap. I do know that between closely skilled players, it is often the smallest things which decide the victor.

Maybe one day we'll play each other :p I'd have to pick up melee again though probably, since 3GOD says you don't really play brawl so much.

Vecayse

Smash Apprentice
This thread helped me a lot. Understanding Plateaus and how to overcome them. And also help me find out which category I fit in and what I need to do in order for me to move to the next level.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
I'm sick of the plateau "I'm better than everyone I know but I know that I'm not good". I end up trying to teach everyone to be better rather than improving myself >_> Hardly anyone in Sweden is playing Brawl+, so meeting someone better than me isn't that easy.

My brother is the one I face most often, but he refuses to go to smashboards and learn things about his character. I usually beat the crap out of him, but still he wont. Do you know a good way to convince him, or should I just look for places with good people playing? I know that battling a lot of CPU's isn't good since I feel like you can actually loose mindgaming potential from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom