• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Players and their characters

pitskeyblade

Smash Lord
Makin movies makin songs & FIGHTIN ROUND THE W
Link to original post: [drupal=2787]Players and their characters[/drupal]

How many people just go to Brawl tournaments only to win? A lot of them go and use Meta Knight, because they think that victory is impossible if they don't use him. I disagree. Whether a person wins or not is not based on the character they use, but the mannner in which they utilize that character to exploit their strenghts, and guard their weaknesses. Supposedly, Captain Falcon is the worst character in the game, but I've seen him used to a level anyone would be proud of. Just because someone uses a character at the top of the tier list does not guarantee a tournament victory. I think that, given enough practise, anyone can become a force to be reckoned with, even if they happen to use a character that isn't ranked as high as the others. People should just use the character that they enjoy using, and not the one they think will make them win.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Yeah.

But, highest level C. Falcon will never beat the highest level MK.

highfive

Smash Lord
Yeah.

Quoted for truth.

You can be a complete badass with the Captain but you can only do so much because of the physics in brawl. His lag will always be greater than MK's. That means one more shuttleloop, one more Fsmash, one more Dsmash, One more Dtilt that you just can't defend yourself against. And that's all it takes to lose a match.

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
If you go to tournies, I doubt your main goal is to have fun. People go to tournies primarily to win.
If you want to win, you'll have to use the character that you can perform best with. If that happens to be CF, then use CF. Most often, however, these characters are in the top tier.

BSP

Smash Legend
Yeah.

Quoted for truth again :)

I think you should use who you like as well, but the fact is that some characters are viable and some aren't unfortunately. For example, i use the mario bros mostly. Am i lowering my chances of winning a tourney? Yes. If I had the true play to win mindset, id probably have an s-tier secondary, but i don't lol.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The whole point of a tournament is to win it.

You can mess around in novel MMs or friendlies. You can mess around in smashfests. If you go to a tournament, you should expect an anything goes mentality from people.

Especially in the west. We're very individualistic and competitive. Play to win is very much our sort of thing.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink

You can mess around in novel MMs or friendlies. You can mess around in smashfests. If you go to a tournament, you should expect an anything goes mentality from people.

Especially in the west. We're very individualistic and competitive. Play to win is very much our sort of thing.
So true. Whenever I go to tournaments I think to myself my main has terrible recovery and if I have to be cheap to win I think I'm going to have to. I don't LIKE being cheap but you do it to win.

Not to mention most tournaments have an entrance fee. I'd rather try to win some money back though that's very hard to do if there's a lot of participants.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Lol at you thinking people maining Meta Knight expect to win and that they don't need practice.
If you enjoy winning, is it wrong to main a character that gives you the biggest chance to win :O?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
This.

A tournament is, by definition, a competition. The goal of a competition is to win.

While people have fun at tourneys through socializing and whatnot, and tournaments are not solely for competition, when you're actually playing in the tournament you do want to win.

Ideally you should still play as the character you like, but if you think you're more likely to win with Meta Knight, so be it.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
That's more true in melee if you me and I play as pichu and have goten 4 stocked by a marth and sheik before. no johns.

the worse in melee(to some people who don't know how to play as pichu) can take stocks with a grab and has good edge gaurd, has uber high kill power, a near unpunsihable recovery, is really fast, good combos,and is a amazing mindgame charcter when useing and not like play a few rounds as pichu then switch to roy or marth it will mess them up pretty bad.

brawl isn't as hard so think metaknoght plays a few days faclon plays a few weeks very little different in skill

theunabletable

Smash Lord
When you go to a tournament you play to win, which means you do everything within your power within the game to win.

If playing MK gives you the highest chance of winning then play him.

In friendlies and such, do whatever you want, but you would NOT be playing to win if you're stopping yourself from doing everything you can to win.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Just putting this out I guess, but I hope you guys still haven't lost sight of why you play this particular game competitively at least.

I prefer who I find most fun to play, and fortunately for me the ones I find most fun are all top tiers, lol. (Melee) Even in Brawl I would probably pick a higher tier at times when at a tourney -- especially in difficult situations, but any any other way it's all about fun. I got bored of the game a long time back though so even with certain characters I don't have fun anymore. But that's just the game itself I guess.

altairian

Smash Lord
Err...I go to tourneys to have fun. Sure I do my best to win, but I'd rather lose and enjoy myself than win and have a miserable time. Everyone has their own goals and expectations, none more right or wrong than another's. Believe it or not some people do actually enjoy playing MK just because they like MK. Not everyone is a tier *****. Plenty of people are, but not all by any means.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion, it's impossible for Smash to have a roster of completely different characters (different movesets, dash speeds, jump heights, fall speeds, weights, size, etc.) and still have every character equal. So, the character you choose most definitely will have a large effect on the outcome of a match.

Having said that, I do agree that one of the most important factors is a player's skill and ability. If Meta Knight is a better character than Ganondorf, a new, inexperienced player using Meta Knight will not necessarily win against an experienced player using Ganondorf simply because MK > G-Dorf.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
The problem is though Nibbles is that tourney goers wont be inexperienced most of the time.

Reapereater

Smash Cadet
The problem is though Nibbles is that tourney goers wont be inexperienced most of the time.
Thats the truth.

I go to tournaments for fun and to win. Mostly for fun tho. if you lose you win knowledge. If win you just win prizes and underestimate future opponents. Thats imo tho because in NJ people lost a lot but end up winning against the people they lost to.

The morale here is dont underestimate your opponent and train hard.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
Of course, it does reach a point that no matter how good you are with a lower tier character, the limitations of that character will prevent you from excelling.

MK vs Link with the same level of skill will see MK win the majority of the time.

Top Bottom