• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Play with Honor , Make Brawl Fun - With Some Thoughts from Mew2King

K 2

Smash Lord
^^^ If that's the problem, call the TO over and tell him the other guy is stalling.

If all your opponent does is ledgestall, walk over to the other side of the stage, set your controller down, and get everyone in the room to laugh at your opponent. He will stop ledgestalling. Believe Me.

Scinn

The Fluffiest
NNID
BLKROCKET25
uh yeah I know what you is tryin to say but some people dont know that they are spamming and cant help it I know my cousin spams he cant help it

K 2

Smash Lord
There's nothing wrong with spamming, but stalling is illegal. This is for a tournament/competitive environment, not in friendlies.

z3r0C0oL

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so we cant stop those tactics from being used. New plan:

Ban douche players!

ill start a list:

1. Plank

:p

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
(Ledge Stalling) That's strategy. Are you guys going to ban strategy now?
"Ledge Stalling is a strategy, therefore they want strategy banned." This is called a logical fallacy. No one's complained about the tactical nature of the ability, yet that didn't stop you from making the ridiculous association with the argument at hand.

I agree that the olimar sucks, that's why he got three stocked without dealing 1 % to the opponent. The video was for that one guy who said there wasn't a video where someone guy got threestocked without dealing any damage.
And focusing on literal translations of an example is only STALLING the debate at hand rather than progressing it. No, really, someone can sit there, not play and be 3 stocked? Gee, thanks, you've really swayed me to your side of the argument and haven't come off as a total *** in the process.

Smash Bros is a game where moves have lag, where approaches are limited and defenses are powerful. Competent players will exchange damage and it's unavoidable, unless you're a child trying to find a specific flaw in a sentence and ignoring the point it's trying to convey.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I agree that the olimar sucks, that's why he got three stocked without dealing 1 % to the opponent. The video was for that one guy who said there wasn't a video where someone guy got threestocked without dealing any damage.
he dealt damage to nana though on his 3rd stock, so i still havent seen somebody win without getting hit

Anther

Smash Champion
That doesn't mean he's wrong. Seriously, no one goes to tournaments to watch people hang on a ledge, shot a projectile, run back to the ledge, repeat.
If I'm fighting it, I grab the ledge, and stop their return to the stage. o_O

I think it's fair to stage the majority of your attacks from the ledge if the cost of getting grabbed is your stock >_>.
It's not entirely ledgestalling, since the point is to just attack safe, as opposed to running out the timer. It's almost like when people don't know how to stop rolling: rollstalling?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
btw,
WHO THE HELL GOES TO TOURNAMENTS TO WATCH!?

it doesnt matter how it looks to other people, because unless its somebodys girlfriend, they should be playing in their own match anyway

K 2

Smash Lord
"Ledge Stalling is a strategy, therefore they want strategy banned." This is called a logical fallacy. No one's complained about the tactical nature of the ability, yet that didn't stop you from making the ridiculous association with the argument at hand.

And focusing on literal translations of an example is only STALLING the debate at hand rather than progressing it. No, really, someone can sit there, not play and be 3 stocked? Gee, thanks, you've really swayed me to your side of the argument and haven't come off as a total *** in the process.

Smash Bros is a game where moves have lag, where approaches are limited and defenses are powerful. Competent players will exchange damage and it's unavoidable, unless you're a child trying to find a specific flaw in a sentence and ignoring the point it's trying to convey.
Ledgestalling is a strategy. It's effective, but it also has counters. Ledgestalling is 100% effective if you sit on your butt and let them ledgestall, just like standing there is 100% effective if you just let them stand there (I suppose that's stalling too, we must ban that!). If you take aggresive action against ledgestallers, you will most likely take off one of their stock.

Seriously, just follow my idea of putting your controller down and laughing at them. It works!

I was trying to explain to someone about the video...

he dealt damage to nana though on his 3rd stock, so i still havent seen somebody win without getting hit
...wow...that was ********...>.<

Barge

All I want is a custom title
You can play honorable if you want, like suicide when your opponent accidentally suicides, but if they don't play honorable in return, you shouldn't complain.

Backward

Smash Cadet
Ledgestalling is a strategy. It's effective, but it also has counters. Ledgestalling is 100% effective if you sit on your butt and let them ledgestall, just like standing there is 100% effective if you just let them stand there (I suppose that's stalling too, we must ban that!). If you take aggresive action against ledgestallers, you will most likely take off one of their stock.
That is not always so. Especially with the auto-sweetspotting system in Brawl. Some characters are at a ridiculous disadvantage when certain characters ledgecamp against them. It's simply how the game works. Go take agressive action against a Planking MK as Falco. You'll find that you have very little options if the MK player is competent.

K 2

Smash Lord
I hope everyone understands this is for TOURNAMENT/COMPETITIVE BRAWL. Ledgestalling, etc. is really gay in friendlies, but this is about winning and (maybe) money. If you play honorable, good for you, but don't make other people play the same, stupid way.

mc4

Smash Journeyman
I think the argument of this thread isn't ledge stalling verse chaingrabbing, its avoiding all that stuff period, or just using it less frequently to make the game more enjoyable. That olimar video was slightly off topic and pretty funny, did he try to down smash with no pikmin lol wow.

K 2

Smash Lord
That is not always so. Especially with the auto-sweetspotting system in Brawl. Some characters are at a ridiculous disadvantage when certain characters ledgecamp against them. It's simply how the game works. Go take agressive action against a Planking MK as Falco. You'll find that you have very little options if the MK player is competent.
I'm assuming MK is using shuttleloop to autosweetspot the ledge?

First of all, I would never use falco against MK, but let's assume for some reason I'm forced to use a character I don't use against some pro's MK, shall we?

I'm standing a little bit inwards from the stage, so I avoid getting hit by MK's shuttle loop (scary little booger). He shuttleloops over and over again...SUDDENLY, nothing happens. I continue to watch MK repeatively SL'ing. SUDDENLY, I speedhug the ledge and MK dies. simple enough?

If he isn't use SL and just dropping down and jumping back up:

I can run of the edge and bair, which should stage spike him.
I can just regular spike him
I can footstool him (always an embarrassment)

OR I can walk over to the other side of the stage, set my controller down, and Laugh at him.

The olimar video was to prove a point...

Scinn

The Fluffiest
NNID
BLKROCKET25
btw,
WHO THE HELL GOES TO TOURNAMENTS TO WATCH!?

it doesnt matter how it looks to other people, because unless its somebodys girlfriend, they should be playing in their own match anyway
my dad and brother watch me play

z3r0C0oL

Smash Apprentice
So perhaps a Gentlemen's agreement before a match then?

"Look man, i can shoot you with one projectile, and then ledgecamp for the next 8 minutes."

"I can infinite you as D3"

"So, how about I not ledgecamp, and you not infinite me?"

"sounds good, lets play."

Anther

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phRs10GVwvg

just for all of those people who dont have experience getting planked this is what it looks like
It's a lot of SK not playing his options correctly, especially in that vid. If he'd been more experienced against it he would've done a lot better.
Someone starting to ledgehog first stock with a 5 percent difference is just getting into their opponent's head >.>. I personally would've tested to see if he would've done it for 3 minutes straight.

Backward

Smash Cadet
I'm assuming MK is using shuttleloop to autosweetspot the ledge?

First of all, I would never use falco against MK, but let's assume for some reason I'm forced to use a character I don't use against some pro's MK, shall we?

I'm standing a little bit inwards from the stage, so I avoid getting hit by MK's shuttle loop (scary little booger). He shuttleloops over and over again...SUDDENLY, nothing happens. I continue to watch MK repeatively SL'ing. SUDDENLY, I speedhug the ledge and MK dies. simple enough?

If he isn't use SL and just dropping down and jumping back up:

I can run of the edge and bair, which should stage spike him.
I can just regular spike him
I can footstool him (always an embarrassment)

OR I can walk over to the other side of the stage, set my controller down, and Laugh at him.

The olimar video was to prove a point...
I wish it were that simple. MK just has too many options while ledgestalling. He can either Shuttle Loop back on ledge, which incidentally is faster than most characters can hog the edge from a safe position; Side-B the ledge; simply hang on the ledge if your distance isn't threatening, which varies from character to character; ledgehop F-Air/ Up-B/ Tornado when you do get too close, etc.

Statistically speaking, MK really is too good at ledgestalling. It's basically an attribute of him.

OR you could go laugh at him if you like.

comboking

Smash Master
just cause they play fast doesn't mean they suck.
If they came here and brawled us they would get bored and leave and they would beat us. The japenese were better at melee then us u know.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i know right?

@anther
im going to take that advice and next time i get camped im gonna put my controller down, and get everyone there to laugh at them
EDIT
ROFLSAUCE AT COMBOKING
we wrecked them in melee,
lrn2melee scrub
lolololololololol

K 2

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phRs10GVwvg

just for all of those people who dont have experience getting planked this is what it looks like
Lol. That MK got scared everytime falco came close to the edge. Falco forced MK to SL or Nado, which allows for punishment (as falco punished the MK many times). Also, falco got a few spikes off (those at low percents MK didn't die). The thing is, falco was WINNING most of the match by standing on the edge and forcing MK to act, and punishing him accordingly. If it wasn't for Nado spam, falco probably would have won...Falco had numerous missed opportunities to punish the helpless MK ...

Scinn

The Fluffiest
NNID
BLKROCKET25
what would be more fun is if someone set up a stamina tourny it would be more fair just throwin an idea around

Backward

Smash Cadet
It's true... how often do you play Falco vs MK that's planking, backward?
You're right, I don't.

It was simply to prove a point in how powerful ledgecamping can be in certain matchups, not how easily it could be overcome as some would like to believe. That's all.

Anther

Smash Champion
It's so hard to stay serious in these threads with all the random posts that appear periodically...

Backward, Johns XD.

K 2

Smash Lord
I wish it were that simple. MK just has too many options while ledgestalling. He can either Shuttle Loop back on ledge, which incidentally is faster than most characters can hog the edge from a safe position; Side-B the ledge; simply hang on the ledge if your distance isn't threatening, which varies from character to character; ledgehop F-Air/ Up-B/ Tornado when you do get too close, etc.

Statistically speaking, MK really is too good at ledgestalling. It's basically an attribute of him.

OR you could go laugh at him if you like.
Ok then, is this a "ban ledgestalling" thread, or is this "ban MK" thread? It sounds to me like MK's the problem. I'm talknig about normal ledgecamping (with any character). Obviously MK is good and he has tons of options, hence top tier. For any regular character, ledgecamping is easily defeated

@anther
im going to take that advice and next time i get camped im gonna put my controller down, and get everyone there to laugh at them
That's my idea!

Scinn

The Fluffiest
NNID
BLKROCKET25
mk should have lost falco could have very easily won instead of the side smash at that one time he could have shot mk then figured somthin else out

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
It's a lot of SK not playing his options correctly, especially in that vid. If he'd been more experienced against it he would've done a lot better.
Someone starting to ledgehog first stock with a 5 percent difference is just getting into their opponent's head >.>. I personally would've tested to see if he would've done it for 3 minutes straight.
I c wut u did thar.

Top Bottom