• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Play to your strengths, or cover your weaknesses?

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
This just popped into my head as I was taking a shower, I was thinking if smash was more of a game where you try to play to your strengths as best you can, or try to cover any weaknesses your character has. I thought about just playing the game as you normally do to be like maximizing your characters strengths (shines with spacies, crazy sword things with Marth, CGs with Sheik), but that picking a CP stage can go either way by trying to further empower yourself (Marth on Yoshis) or by trying to eliminate a weakness that your character has (Jiggs on Dreamland). Of course the worse a character is, the less you have to work with and the more weaknesses you have to cover, but when I see people like M2K and Axe play, the aspect of abusing your characters strong points stands out much more in my head.

What do you guys think?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
you really have to do both lol

i main ic's

strengths: wd speed, heavy grab punishment, other stuff
weaknesses are matchup dependent: outranged by marth, outsped by spacies, peach has nearly impenetrable defenses vs ic's

i heard once that a character is a set of tools
and it's up to the player on how to use them in certain situations

u really have to think about both. sometimes when i'm playing against falcon or fox, i think "hm, i should just grab them" or "hm, i should just get them off the edge" then i ****, cuz ic's tools are superior in those situations. or sometimes i think "that character is too fast" so i stop chasing them and play a little more defensive and it works

D

Deleted member

stop doing things that make you lose first, then hone the things that make you win without developing other things that make you lose.

Klaw

Smash Cadet
My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength.
Michael Jordan

legendary

edit: through practice, of course.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength.
Michael Jordan

legendary

edit: through practice, of course.
practice? we talking about..practice?

Smash Master
Using rings as a yardstick is bull**** and everyone except Kobe homers understands that.

jauqesh

Smash Rookie
you would emulate ai more if you're sub 6'2''

jus sayin, best lil man of all time

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't have weaknesses.
Therefore, play to strengths.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
cover weaknesses first

or you're going to lose to people you "shouldn't be losing to"

i'm not saying that in the johning sense, i'm saying that in the sense of, you'll do well vs good players but have unusual amounts of trouble with significantly worse players

Top Bottom