• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Play a Real Game 2 Results- Irving, TX

Oracle

Smash Master
Melee Doubles- 18 Teams

1: UTDZac and Dojo ($108.00)
2: Drew and ConstantlyBaffled ($54.00)
3: Sizzle and JF ($18.00)
4: Jesus and Poot
5: TXZero and Twerklikemiley
5: Awestin and ThinMint
7: Tag and Vurmin
7: Enso and LK
9: Yamato and Luck
9: Oppa and Timestop
9: WTBlake and COle
9: Sic Psycho Sexy and PTJon
13: Hiya and EPtheSalty
13: Sempai and Siro
13: PizzaCat and Dakpo
13: LKG and YellowRellow
17: Trader and Pho Hwee

PM Doubles- 32 Teams

1: Oracle and Awestin ($176.00) :ness:/:charizard:
2: Infinity and Dojo ($96.00) :metaknight:/:fox:
3: UTDZac and Denti ($32.00) :pikachu::charizard:/:ivysaur:
4: Disafter and Bwett ($16.00) :fox::ganondorf:/:squirtle:
5: Sethlon and Blink :roypm:/:pit:
5: THE BIFORCEEEEEEE (Aerolink and Problem0) :link2:/:link2:
7: Drew and ConstantlyBaffled
7: Dakpo and Luck
9: TxZero and Twerklikemiley
9: Keys and Ant
9: Whit and Bec
9: GRabbit and TY
13: Southern Gent and Kevin Wow
13: LKG and YellowRellow
13: wtBlue and COle
13: Timestop and Sliced Brad
17: Apathetic Toaster and D-Mon 2292
17: CFNKit and Jitas
17: Bombitty and Artimus
17: Hammr and Dedz
17: Blank and Lips
17: Pizzacato and Thinmint
17: Roly and Ampersand
17: Mumble and Cory
25: Darkgun and Grand
25: PKRS and TUCUS
25: Tripp and GGER
25: Scotch and Aliami
25: Wopp and Soup
25: Hiya and Book
25: FeNip and Reed

Melee Singles- 51 Entrants
1: Constantly Baffled (Bluezaft) ($258.50)
2: Dr. Drew the Dragon ($117.50)
3: Awestin ($47.00)
4: Oracle ($23.50)
5: Jesus ($11.75)
5: JF ($11.75)
7: WTBLake
7: LK
9: Dojo
9: TxZero
9: B91
9: Sizzle
13: Hamyojo
13: Twerk Like Miley
13: Tag
13: Calm Animal
17: ENSO and LK
17: WEB
17: Scotch
17: Keys
17: CT Denti
17: Pizzacato
17: Absolute Black
17: PTJon
25: Soap
25: EPthe Salt King
25: Pinku
25: Oppa
25: Cherries
25: Humbone
25: Fenip
25: Xori
33: Apathetic Toaster
33: Yellow Rello
33: Kevin Wow
33: THin Mint
33: Nails
33: Scaremonger
33: Timestop
33: Cole
33: Sir Psycho Sexy
33: Aspen
33: NQIF
33: K-***
33: Siro
33: Vurmin
33: Hiya
33: Yamato
49: Sempai
49: 2-Bit
49: Chaoz

PM Singles ($100 Bonus)- 80 Entrants

1: Sethlon ($450.00) :roypm:
2: Mcbad ($198.00) :ness:
3: Aerolink ($108.00) :link2:
4: Dojo ($54.00) :falco:
5: Dakpo ($27.00) :gw:
5: Infinity ($27.00) :metaknight:
7: Bwett ($18.00) :squirtle:
7: UTDZac ($18.00) :pikachu::peach::charizard
9: CT Denti
9: Dr. Drew the Dragon
9: Constantly Baffled (Bluezaft)
9: Luck
13: ProblemO
13: Fernando
13: Magmios
13: Artimus
17: G-Rabbit
17: The Not So Shy Guy
17: Twerk Like Miley
17: Poot
17: Blink
17: Absolute Black
17: Disafter
17: Calm Animal
25: Dmon2292
25: Glaive
25: Bombitty
25: Mumble
25: southern gent
25: LK
-----POOLS CUTOFF-----
31: JSpear
31: Kevin Wow
31: Ac!d
31: PizzaCato
31: Darkgun
31: Dedz
31: Ant
31: YellowRello
31: Whit
31: Ty
41: RoboHobo
41: Scotch
41: EmLeingod
41: Reid L
41: Southern Gent
41: Grand
41: Tripp
41: Keys
41: NoxD
41: WTBlake
51: Caleb
51: Ampersand
51: Lips
51: Roly
51: Rei
51: Ale
51: Blank
51: Timestop
51: 4Chan
51: JIdas
61: Apathetic Toaster
61: Nicc
61: bec
61: 2-bit
61: Aliami
61: Yamato
61: TUCUS
61: Hammr
61: Fenip
61: CFNKit
71: BOOK
71: WOPP
71: Hiya
71: Swonk
71: EP the Salt King
71: Trainer
71: QQQQQQQQQ777777777
71: Jack M
71: LKG
71: Sliced Brad

Shoutouts later. A few quick notes
- I did not enter PM singles so i could focus on running the tournament.
- Did not do swiss for any events. Pools for PM and straight to bracket for melee. There simply were too few setups for this to work.
- Sorry for no PM turbo doubles :(
- Holy crap 114 people showed up to play smash. I felt honored as a TO to see that many people show up to my event! Thanks for coming out everyone!
- Even though I planned for what I thought was worst case scenario, tournament still went on till 3am >.> I think that we can see its not feasible to run both melee and PM at the same time in that venue, so until Epik finishes moving to their new building in a few months, I will be separating the PM and Melee tournaments and running them as bi monthlies. That way we actually can run swiss!
- Thanks to all the new people who came out! If you want to find more smash near you, register on tourneylocator.com! Its a great tool for finding tournaments near you, not just for smash! Also, join DFW Melee on Facebook and subscribe to the Texas PM Power Ranking thread in my signature! I post all the info about upcoming tournaments in those two places.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
CONTINUOUS HYPE

Shoutouts displaced 35 posts below as a product of the moving Hype Train.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thanks for hosting this tournament, Oracle.

Thanks to everyone I played against, you have helped me improve a lot.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Thanks for organizing/running this, Rob!
Shoutouts:
First to Oracle's awesome (by awesome I mean horrendous) seeding and putting me against Dr Drew first round. Thanks for that.
Wobbles for being an awful navigator and his Pichu getting two stocked by my Young Link. What a scrub.
Dr Drew for 2-stocking me twice in bracket, then giving me his money later, then navigating better than Wobbles
Adeto for the great set- I'll get your Luigi next time. Keep up with that Luigi. Falco's good, but your Luigi is as good or better and also a hype mid tier.
The Melee Bowser player- I don't know your name or tag, but your absolutely wreak of potential and I hope you keep him up, too cool.
Hamzah for giving me $5 aka MMing me with Ganon on a Mute City only set. Also for 99 minute coin battle with items- I won.
Everyone from the UTD crew for showing up and practicing and getting good and stuff!
PTJon for always getting better and having, from what I've seen, a great mindset. Keep it up.
Joel for trying to give me his IC's necklace after a money match, because we all know how much I want an IC's necklace
Sizzle for SDing in our MM, but other than that good games. MM me next time? I'll be waiting!
Awestin for being the worst player
Everyone who didn't MM me:

MM me

Everyone who did MM me <3<3<3

Last edited:

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Super happy with my results! I think I made some impact at the DFW scene. That place truly is home. Thanks O-Rackle for being the best TO.

p.s. It ain't pizza cat, but I'll embrace it.

AbsoluteBlack

Smash Apprentice
Glad to hear the events are being split, the venue definitely needed that. Shoutouts later, but shoutouts to seeding for now for being amazing.

d-man2292

Smash Apprentice
NNID
d-man2292
its d-man! with an A not d-mon lol but i had tons of fun, get to know me DFW, i'll be here for a lil while :D GG's errbody

Laser_kirby_007

Smash Apprentice
I think there was a mistake in my bracket (not sure though since I'm bad with names). In losers, it appears as if I (LK) lost to JF but I remember I lost to Dr. Drew. That would put me in 5th place if I'm correct. I don't mind the money much but I kinda like the recognition :p

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
1: Sethlon ($450.00) :roypm: - Congrats on winning again. You're about the only player here right now that can make Austin look like a fly to swat.
2: Mcbad ($198.00) :ness: - I enjoyed watching your sets against Sethlon and AeroLink. It's really entertaining to see what stops you will pull in order to win.
3: Aerolink ($108.00) :link2: - What a freaking jump in performance! Next time, I'll make sure to be there to meet you in bracket. Now the hard part is consistency.
4: Dojo ($54.00) :falco: - I think our set was my favorite set I played of the tournament. The technical control of a Melee player with the patience of a Brawl player. What a deadly combo.
5: Dakpo ($27.00) :gw: - Good games, and thanks for the advice. You're right. I don't do that enough.
5: Infinity ($27.00) :metaknight: - Good games in teams against you and Dojo. Looks like you guys did well and proceeded to place 2nd.
7: Bwett ($18.00) :squirtle: - I know this for sure, Squirtle can't be handled by Link's conventional play style, but I think for the match-up, some of Link's obscure tools are going to help big time. I'll be prepared for your shenanigans next time.
7: UTDZac ($18.00) :pikachu::charizard: - I don't think we played each other at all this tournament, but playing you is always a fun match. We punish each other so incredibly hard.
9: CT Denti - Good games in Singles. You're combo proficiency in game 3 shined brightly. I didn't anticipate that.
9: Dr. Drew the Dragon - Congrats on placing high in Melee.
9: Constantly Baffled (Bluezaft) - Welcome back to the DFW community bro. I haven't seen you in ages, and also congrats on taking 1st.
9: Luck - Placing 9th? Dude, you must be putting in some mad work. Also, you took out Denti in winners. Nice!
13: Fernando - Dude, you placed 13th. That's pretty good. You should keep up with our smashfests on facebook.
13: Artimus - Congrats on making it out of pools. Our pool was a little stacked, but you pulled through and managed to place 13th!
17: G-Rabbit - Ggs in singles. Kirby is a slippery mofo. I guess you were right about destiny forcing us to complete unfinished business. I await to see how you adapt for next time.
17: The Not So Shy Guy - Congrats on getting 17th.
17: Twerk Like Miley - I didn't figure out who this was, but when this name was called, it gave me a chuckle.
17: Blink - I know that it's not fun being told who to play as, but I think :pit: is the best character for you. When I see you play Pit, I see that you play at your highest level while having fun at the same time as if you were playing Ike, Wolf, or Uncle Julio. :ganondorf:
17: Disafter - I didn't expect the Lucas coming, and god, you're Lucas is incredibly jank and weird compared to playing against Rob. I guess you just explored a branch of options that Rob doesn't like or something, but I took too much faith in trusting my knowledge vs Rob alone and it backfired so terribly in teams. At the same time, I see Lucas is an incredible fit for you. You can finally be the space animal and the new PM character at the same time.
17: Calm Animal - I only saw you for a short while that day, but congrats on the 17th place.
25: Mumble - GGs in teams. For only playing PM for a short time, you did pretty well, though I know you have experience in other smash games. A surprisingly good amount of skill transfers between all the games.

CFNKit, Ty, Sliced Bread, WTBlake, and I think one other guy in my pools (I'm sorry, I'm forgetting your name :( ): GGs everyone. It was great seeing so many new faces and potential talent. Players of different diversity and backgrounds. Some new to smash, some new to PM in particular, but all of you showed off abilities that I haven't seen before, which to me is promising.

Last edited:

PTJon

Smash Cadet
Really fun tournament, big thanks to Oracle for running it.
Shoutouts:
Sir Psycho Sexy: Had fun teaming with you dude and keep up the training with your Falco!
Tadeo/Jesus: I hadn't talked to you until this tournament and you're a super nice and chill guy. You're Luigi is sick and it was great playing it and watching it do awesome in bracket
Poot: I wish you had entered Melee for no other reason than me being able to watch more of your Doc playing. Thanks for all the friendlies man
Sizzle: All the Doc/Fox games we had were really fun and helped me refine some stuff in that match up. You seem like a really knowledgeable guy and it was nice talking to you during our friendlies
Hamyojo: Fun MMs as always dude, be ready for more at Bit Battles and DIME!
Calm Animal: I have nothing but respect for you dude. Going from me 2-0ing you to 2-0ing me in the course of about a month really shows what hard work can do in this game. Can't wait to see your Bowser do more work in DFW
AbsoluteBlack: Fun mm, I wish we had played more than just two games against each other. Lets see if I can even the score at Bit Battles!
Ezra: You're great run back in our double or nothing 2nd MM really proved that I've gotta work on my Sheik match up, I hope I can play you some more next time we meet
Xori: What you said after our set was very true, our games definitely felt like a high level of play compared to last time. I look forward to seeing you and the rest of your crew at Bit Battles

mydadsacop123

Smash Apprentice
Big thanks to rob for organizing and running the tournament. He sacrificed his own spot in the tournament to make sure everythin ran well and got finished mad respect u do so much for the community

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Shoutouts to the 2 dudes who watched Melee grand finals.

Shoutouts to Drew for toiling through 5 tournament sets vs. Jigglypuff.

Shoutouts to my PM pool for containing 50% of the world's population of Pikachu players.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
Honestly, this was a pretty wack tournament with no seeding, inefficient time/setup usage, no matches being called, etc. I understand the situation of trying to run multiple events with player overlap holding up the tournament and unexpected entrant size. But I also think this size of a tournament needs to have dedicated assistants help run things because it was just not moving at all. When the players have to come to the TO in order to find their matches, it's a problem. The TO can't enter all the events and expect things to magically run themselves. I see that you sacrificed your spot in PM, but it still was pretty bad. Also the situation LK is describing is a bad one because his explanation and the bracket don't match up. Something is pretty wrong there. Needless to say, I really appreciate the tournament being held, and I had a great time hanging out with everyone, especially all the new people I met, and the homies I've met before. I don't mean this is a hurtful way, just trying to give my honest view of how things went. As much as I appreciate the super fox ruleset, it's dumb as hell at this point in the metagame.

1: Constantly Baffled (Bluezaft) - GGs dude you guys got us in teams.
2: Dr. Drew the Dragon - ditto ^
4: Oracle - thanks for running things, I'm glad you know what to fix next time.
5: Jesus - I felt like we got to chat and hang out a bunch this tournament. You are a really cool guy and we had a really sick teams match. I wanna play you more next time.
5: JF - Thanks for driving and teaming with me. We had quite the adventure lol.
7: LK - Nice Peach. I slept on you pretty hard, you were really solid.
9: Dojo - Nice fox in teams, I wish we coulda played in singles.
9: B91 - Really nice to meet you and I'm glad we got to play a lot. I enjoyed our matches quite a bit.
13: Hamyojo - I'll get you next time lol. Life of a fox main heh.
13: Calm Animal - Nice bowser. At a certain point, you need to rely more on fundamentals than your opponents matchup knowledge or lack thereof. I heard you're improving quickly so keep it up man!
17: Absolute Black - This ruleset was pretty ****ty and I think it affects fox/marth quite a lot. Let's play again next time.
17: PTJon - Fun games and I'm glad we had a chance to play. Just keep improving the little things like we talked about, and you will be surprised how much confidence it will give you with your counterpicks and in matchups in general.
25: Humbone - Good to see you again. Keep it up. If you bring an SD card/USB to DIME I can give you the iso if you want.
Poot - sad to see you not entering singles, but doubles was super close. I'm looking forward to our MM at dime!

Shoutouts to Gabe for housing us, really appreciate it dude.

Oracle

Smash Master
Somebody count unique entrants............nerd :p
I had to so I could pay the owner for the venue fee lol.

@ Sizzle Sizzle players coming to the to to find their matches shouldnt be that big of a deal. My job as a to is not to hold your hand through the tournament. Its not that hard to go put your match in the computer and see who you play next in bracket. Also I spent pretty much every moment that I wasnt playing a match or running around shouting at people to play their matches. Stuff got held up by people disappearing without saying anything to me. It didnt help that my two assistants each placed top 8 or higher in multiple events.

That being said, I know it still could have been run better. I really banked on the stores microphone not breaking; I can only scream so much in one day. Melee seeding wasnt the best, but that was partially due to utdzac dropping out last second after bracket started (he was a 1st seed), partially due to both me and drew somehow not noticing he and bluezaft were on the same side of the bracket, and partially due to a hamdful of upsets (I fully expexted jf to beat me bc ive never beaten him at melee and I havent played melee seriously in over a year.) With a 51 man bracket its basically impossible to predict who ends up where somebody will go in losers bracket; even if I put 2 players on opposite sides round 1 depending on when they lose they can both be sent to the same side of losers.

Tl; dr- there were a whole host of stuff that went wrong at this tournament, which I still take responsibility for. Thats just kinda what happens when 114 people show up and I planned for 80

@Laser kirby- what happened was that drew misread the bracket and played you when he should have waited for you to play jf. That situation really sucks for everybody and I hate when it happens, but there wasnt a whole bunch I could do. Remind me at my next tournament and ill pay for your entry. Im really sorry I didnt catch that earlier

PTJon

Smash Cadet
Shout outs to your Luigi Oracle, I was one of the only people to witness the sick combos you pulled on JF's DK

Sizzle

I paint controllers
Just to clarify, I'm not upset that I lost to JF because he's better than me, and that happens in a big bracket like the one we had, and it was like round 6 losers. However, Drew didn't even get a bye first round (???), and other lower level players did. Frankly speaking, it is your job to hold our hands throughout the tournament, that's the point of being a TO. The smash scene has many new players and you can't assume everyone knows what to do. It's evident that even a tournament veteran can misinterpret the bracket with the situation that unfolded.

Last edited:

S0UPER HACKER

Smash Cadet
Just to clarify, I'm not upset that I lost to JF because he's better than me, and that happens in a big bracket like the one we had, and it was like round 6 losers. However, Drew didn't even get a bye first round (???), and other lower level players did. Frankly speaking, it is your job to hold our hands throughout the tournament, that's the point of being a TO. The smash scene has many new players and you can't assume everyone knows what to do. It's evident that even a tournament veteran can misinterpret the bracket with the situation that unfolded.
I'd agree that I did not deserve a bye it's only my 3rd tournament

Oracle

Smash Master
I hold the opinion that players take should some responsibility in finding tournament matches and being aware of the matches they should potentially be playing. I know i cant hold the newer players to that standard, which is why i call more matches at the start of the tournament. Towards the later rounds, the tournaent should be running itself. I have been organizing this event for over a month, sacrificing a good deal of my time and money to put the best event on that I can for the players. I dont ask much from the entrants, and I think the least more experienced players can do is walk up to a computer and double click somebodys name >.>

mydadsacop123

Smash Apprentice
Thin Mint is the next armada believe me shes going places (like 1st place for example)

Last edited:

Laser_kirby_007

Smash Apprentice
I see, no problem then. Thanks for clarifying Oracle! I wish I could have played my rematch with JF since he eliminated me in a DIME (I think lol, not sure). Anyway, GGs everyone. I'm too lazy for shoutouts but I'm really starting to love this community. Get HYPE!

NoxD

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-2891-1990
41st place is pretty damn good for my first PM tournament. Thanks everyone for playing and helping me improve.
Scotch - We barely got to play, I did see that your Roy has gotten better. Keep that up.
Aliami - Y u no Nus ditto
&Y - Thanks for teaching me DACUS and all that, I'm getting it down. Hopefully we'll play so more at a UTD fest.
Wobbles - You only one-stocked me in a Melee Ness ditto, what a scrub. Thanks for the soda xD
Sethlon - Getting four and then three-stocked builds character.
4chan - Your Ness is pretty nice, I would like to teach you fancy Ness stuff some day.
Blink - >Four-stocks Ness
>One-stocks Lucas
>Lucas is the better cousin
Even though I never got to play Awestin or Oracle to get tips it was great. Great to hear you guys are moving venue.
GG's

D

Deleted member

Even though I forfeit most of my matches it was fun seeing you all again and I hope you all burn in hell. :)

@ UTDZac UTDZac
You need to stop looking at people's ****ing controllers mid-match to see if they are DIing or mashing, scrub.

@Scotch98'
Please remove the nipple tape and stop playing SD Falcon.
Also **** you in that MM.

@ThatFoxMainWhoIPlayedSomeMeleeMatchesWith
See ya at DIME. Would you happen to like to team? (I promise I'll practice this time.)

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Shoutouts to the 2 dudes who watched Melee grand finals.

Shoutouts to Drew for toiling through 5 tournament sets vs. Jigglypuff.

Shoutouts to my PM pool for containing 50% of the world's population of Pikachu players.
Brinstar at a Melee Grand Finals. I didn't think I would ever see that in 2014.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
WEB - Melee

17th place! Though I was looking forward getting in a lot of matches via swiss, or at least having pools to try and finally make it out of, it's clear to me that this is still the best placing I've had thus far. And to have faced Bluezaft in my very first set... Thank God for double elimination! Wasn't expecting to pull off 3 straight wins in Losers before being knocked out by Jesus (congrats on placing 5th). GGs everyone!

Shoutouts:
@ bluezaft bluezaft - Thanks for displaying a much better way of handling Marth dittos than anyone I've faced so far. Congrats on the win!
@Dr. Drew - 5%? :p Congrats on your placing, too!
@Sempai - I like your counterpick with Sheik. GGs.
@Thin Mint - The Peach hype is real! Thanks for making me play like my life (lives) depended on it. ...It kind of did.
@EPthe Salt King - Don't make me regret uploading Ken's tutorial. o_o It's pretty safe to say that our Marth ditto was the closest tournament match I've had thus far. Told ya I wasn't gonna own you. Just gave ya the tip. XD
@Jesus - Thanks for putting my Marth through the ringer. Wish I could rewatch our set to learn even more. Nice placement you got overall.
@Calm Animal - Congrats on making it to 13th in Melee, but now you know I really wish we faced off in bracket! I'm not done exposing that Bowser. >=] Shoutouts to Mike, Pringles and all.
@Aliami Armador - Nice Melee match "for old time's sake." I'm always feeling confident until suddenly I'm on my last stock and avoiding a rest like the plague!
@Wobbles - Thanks for playing match after match after match in the corner of the room, on the floor, with button mashing. I look forward to day that your SoPo isn't my worst loss of the day. XD Thanks for playing.
@Ezra - Hi.
@Everyone I played against on that tiny CRT in the back - GGs.
@Literally everyone else - Fun, right? Hype!

@Sethlon - Shin no tatakai wa, korekara da.

I really need to buy a small CRT or something...

DFW SMASH BROS. HYPE!

Last edited:

mydadsacop123

Smash Apprentice
If anyone has a problem with oracle i will tickle u till u p ur pants in front of everyone

Last edited:

xoRi

Smash Rookie
@ Oracle Oracle

I'm not going to try to change your opinion on the responsibilities of TO's and tournament entrants, but I am going to offer you some perspective on how I, an entrant, felt about this specific tournament and about your style of TO'ing.

I completely agree with you that entrants ought to feel obligated to keep a tournament running as smooth as possible. Entrants are spending their money so they can compete with other entrants who paid, so they should be motivated to keep themselves informed about where they need to be and what they need to do. This is what should happen ideally.

Key word: ideally. As you're obviously aware, this doesn't always happen in reality.

In reality, your average entrant doesn't know how to enter their name and winning/losing status into whatever program you're using, and even if they were able to figure it out, some of them might assume that, as an entrant and not a TO, they don't even have the authority to attempt doing this in the first place, that it's a responsibility of the TO or his chosen assistants to take care of this. At least, that's what I assumed. I know if I were running a tournament or something, I probably wouldn't want a bunch of strangers messing with my laptop.

In reality, it's kind of a struggle to search for somebody you need to play with when all you know is their tag, and you don't even know what they look like. This is especially a struggle when people leave the venue pretty freely. A helpful TO would aid this by providing entrants a basic verbal description of what their opponent looks like if they don't know, or point to where they are in the venue assuming they're even present.

In reality, there are a lot of people that get so engaged in their friendlies in other rooms that they don't even know that they're supposed to be playing somebody in bracket. I know this is kind of a struggle, but for the sake of everybody participating in the tournament, a good TO would try his hardest to make sure that EVERYONE knows what they're supposed to be doing, you can't just assume that everyone knows just because they're SUPPOSED to know.

In reality, there are a lot of people that get so engaged in their friendlies that they don't even care to be where they're supposed to be, even if they DO know. I would think that an appropriate responsibility of a TO would be to ensure that every entrant is on-task. This is worth doing for the sake of the entrants who actually DO make it a priority to be informed and on-task, but are only able to do what they're supposed to be as fast as the tournament environment is letting them. (which was not very fast for this tournament. Melee singles started several hours behind schedule because of too many people using setups for friendlies and not enough bracket matches happening at any given time).

In reality, there are a lot of people that get so engaged in their friendlies that whenever another entrant tells them to hurry up or tries to pull them off the setup so they can play a bracket match, the people playing friendlies don't move. They care more about staying in their own game than recognizing bracket matches as a higher priority, even though they SHOULD be able to make this distinction on their own, and let the people who paid to compete play the game. A good TO would realize this inevitability and make sure that the people who are SUPPOSED to be playing actually ARE playing by pulling more friendlies. After all, the TO is the arbiter of all disputes; entrants don't have this type of authority. TO's ought to use this power more accordingly than it was at ParG 2.

Those are the main things I wanted to get across to you. I realize I'm harping on you kind of a lot, but I'm not super angry at you or 100% dissatisfied with the way this tournament went. I'm trying my best to be fair, as well as give you some perspective that I know I would probably appreciate if I were a TO myself. As a person who's only been involved with the community for 4 months, this weekend overall, including the tournament, was a lot of fun for me. However, considering how ParG2 went, I probably won't be coming down to future pargs. There were several people at the UTD smashfest the previous night who had gone to ParG 1 that shared this attitude with me.

Oh, and before I forget, I also want to talk about how I think Gabe or WaterlessFishie stacks up to you in terms of TO'ing based on going to DIME's 5, 6, 7, hosted by Gabe, and ParG 2, hosted by you.

Long story short, Gabe carries out all the responsibilities and obligations of a TO I mentioned above that I (and surely a lot of other people) appreciate a whole lot. However, you don't do these things all the time.

Unlike you, from what I've seen, Gabe doesn't always assume or expect that everyone's doing what they're supposed to be. Assumptions like those are what slow down progress for the very real reasons I mentioned above. Gabe will readily make sacrifices and accommodations to make sure everything goes how it's supposed to, even if it means that he has to open up his house up from 9PM-3AM to like, 30 strangers to make sure that the tournament runs as he said it would. Yeah, of course doing that isn't the ideal situation for everybody involved, but it was an accommodation he made for the sake of preserving the integrity and fairness of the tournament as best as he could at the time. And you know what? I'm pretty sure a lot of people appreciated that he did that. I know I did. I was one of the people who made it out of pools and into bracket but definitely wasn't going to win, but I came to Gabe's house and stayed as long as I could even after playing my 2 sets in bracket because I wanted to show that I had as much respect for what was originally planned as Gabe did.

Now you on the other hand, you made the choice to host like 5 different events that each attracted a lot of entrants. 40 more people were present than you expected, and while I think it's pretty reasonable to accept that things will run behind schedule by virtue of that alone, that's not the actual problem that I have with how the situation was handled at ParG2. There are more reasons (the ones I mentioned above) than just "more people showed up" as to why the tournament ran behind schedule. With the amount of people that showed up, sure, it's pretty obvious that the tournament wouldn't have proceeded according to schedule anyways, but it fell further behind schedule than it had to, and instead of doing everything in your power to at least somewhat alleviate this, you left more of it up to everyone else than you probably should have.

This is at least partially because you seemed to care more about winning your events than hosting a tournament, and I'm sure this is actually a bigger part of why the tournament was so far behind schedule than you might care to admit. I don't think it's unfair to suspect that you hosted the amount of events you did because it potentially meant more money that you could put in your pocket after winning some of them.

I realize that probably comes off as a pretty harsh criticism, and it is, but it's a fair one, and that's what I'm trying to emphasize more than anything else with this wall of text directed at you: fairness.

I think if you try your best to be fair and accommodating to people, people will recognize it and appreciate you a whole lot more as a result than if you don't consider fairness as important.

That's something I think Gabe understands and acts on, and you don't.

I would greatly appreciate if you read this feedback and responded, but don't feel obligated to respond if you don't want to.
I was originally going to do my shoutouts on this post, but it turns out that I actually had a lot more to say than I thought I did, so I'll do them on another post lol.

Top Bottom