• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platform Fighter Exploration Thread: Round 117: General RAAM

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
10 noms to Shepard again please and thanks

So I know we're not specifically talking about challenger packs that come with stages anymore, but stages are still a big important part of platform fighters. And the fighting game fighters in Smash have resulted in some of the best stages in the game! KOF stadium still like a top three Smash stage all time. With that said, what stage would Skullgirls bring to the table? I know it'd have the banging jazz music.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, I have played some Skullgirls, but it really isn't something I know well enough to lead any discussion haha.

So I know we're not specifically talking about challenger packs that come with stages anymore, but stages are still a big important part of platform fighters. And the fighting game fighters in Smash have resulted in some of the best stages in the game! KOF stadium still like a top three Smash stage all time. With that said, what stage would Skullgirls bring to the table? I know it'd have the banging jazz music.
Well, I guess we haven't seen a Smash stage with the scrolling aspect of fighting game stages - like, where the camera can scroll horizontally depending on how far apart the fighters are? Otherwise, yeah, it'd probably be a variant on the mechanic introduced with the KOF stadium and kind of reused sort-of with the Tekken stage...

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Question: how would Filia stand out from the other FGC characters aside from the obvious? Ryu brought the FGC mechanics for the base, Ken brought attacks exclusive to specific inputs, Terry brought charge inputs and more complex inputs for GO! Moves, and Kazuya brought diagonal tilts from Tekken. But what about Skullgirls? What mechanic does Skullgirls have to make Filia stand out?

amageish

Smash Master
sooooooo time to move on?
Yeah, we should... I was just really hoping someone would have thoughts on how Filia could/would work mechanically, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

The Next 7 Rounds:
Round 83: The Knight (Hollow Knight) - x165
Round 84: Dart Monkey (Bloons) - x105
Round 85: Luna Loud (NASB) - x105
Round 86: Shy Guy - x90
Round 87: Black Mage - x85
Round 88: Crypto - x85
Round 89 FEH Summoner - x85

50-75 noms
God Eater Rep - x75
Shovel Knight - x75
Scizor - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x65

26-50 noms
Bubsy - x50
Opa-Opa - x50
Vectorman - x45
2B - x40
Chell - x38
Jonesy - x37
Trauma Center Content - x32
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Commander Shepard - x30
Jason Frudnick - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Daitoryo - x20
Darkest Dungeon Content - x16
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
Clockman (NASB) - x10
Max (Shining Force) - x10
Lobotomy Corporation/Library of Ruina Content - x7
King Harkinian - x5
Jack (Final Fantasy Origin) - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ahri - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3

I'm just going to post the noms from the past day this time...

And let's move onto the Knight's day!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I've never even played Hollow Knight, though it does look fun. My interest mainly spiked after watching Ouro Kronii play it, so having this little bug boi in Smash would be somewhat interesting. I could imagine SOUL being a Hero-style Meter that's used to fuel his Specials or maybe even to heal himself, but unlike with Hero he actually needs to work to build it up. I could also imagine him being a bit of a lightweight swordfighter like Meta Knight, too.

Noms:
Mash Kyrielight x10

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ah the knight, allow me

the knight is the main character of indie metroidvania hollow knight. a mysterious little wanderer who explores the long ruined kingdom of hollow nest. as a small bug he starts off with a simple nail which he uses as a sword but as he progress he gets many upgrades. additions to his arsenal that allow him to traverse the labrynth, moves that require soul, pretty much mp, that can be used to combat foes and man equitable things to add extra abilities. the knight may seem like a simplistic character but the game offers a vast movepool that could make for a really stand out character. he may be small and silent but he can pack a real punch. and dont let his energy shots make you think hed be like robin. he can slam the ground, dash across the stage, spinning attacks and dashing slashes. and of course a great slash. oh yes and the exploding soul attack.

now the areas in game are quite varied. my pick for stage would be the city of tears. a long abandoned capital with a constant downpour. it was a great location in the game and if they can recreate that atmosphere in smash it would be great. i would also think the hive would be good if just for the aesthetic.

as for noms well id like to put them towards a ninckelodean all stars character. with dataminers and leakers showing that garfield is all but bound to show up i would like to put my noms towards odie

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, time for the Knight! I'll start off with the usual music selection.

Here's a question: Hollow Knight's art design is almost as iconic as the game is itself. Would the 2D artstyle extend to the Knight's stage or would they 3D-ify it for the sake of Smash?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Okay, time for the Knight! I'll start off with the usual music selection.

Here's a question: Hollow Knight's art design is almost as iconic as the game is itself. Would the 2D artstyle extend to the Knight's stage or would they 3D-ify it for the sake of Smash?
Honestly, the Smash team does a good job taking 2D drawings/sprites and turning them into 3D models (case in point Sans and Cuphead), so I think I'd have confidence they'd do the Knight justice in some capacity. Maybe it could be an option to have it in 2D if you select what serves as a Hollow Knight stage?

Paraster

Smash Lord
I would love it if the Knight's nail bounce functioned exactly as it does in HK; seeing them constantly bouncing off enemies would be hilarious. Would make a great moment for the gameplay portion of a trailer.

Most ideas I've seen involve Soul, which makes sense as a gimmick, but would the upgraded Void versions of moves be incorporated? (Maybe they cost Soul while the weaker versions are free?) Would Focus be incorporated, or would a healing move with semi-regular access be a bit too difficult to balance?

Also, I made a Hollow Knight Spirit Board a while back. (Can't quote it--presumably because Newcomer Speculation is closed.) It assumes Forgotten Crossroads would be the stage, but I like City of Tears at least as much nowadays. (If I made it now, I might include the Shade and/or remove the Seer.)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
there were some half decent fake screen shots a while back that did a not bad job of translating the art style

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
10 noms to Commander Shepard pls and thx

So Hollow Knight, a game I know I should play but haven't yet. Still, as a Metroidvania, I know it must have a wide variety of wacky enemies that require certain upgrades to defeat. Would any of these make for good stage hazards, maybe even a stage boss?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
10 noms to Commander Shepard pls and thx

So Hollow Knight, a game I know I should play but haven't yet. Still, as a Metroidvania, I know it must have a wide variety of wacky enemies that require certain upgrades to defeat. Would any of these make for good stage hazards, maybe even a stage boss?
oh yes the game has a wide rouges gallery to fight through with many a memorable boss fight. though personally i dont like the idea of stage boss anymore, they just take over. i would say maybe have one of them in the background occasionally throwing attacks at the stage

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, it's been a few days, so let's start discussing some balloon-popping monkeys, shall we?

I'm also going to start nominating another NASB character myself... I'm going with Rangi because why not go with the absurd.

50-75 noms
God Eater Rep - x75
Shovel Knight - x75
Scizor - x75
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x65
Opa-Opa - x55

26-50 noms
Bubsy - x50
Vectorman - x45
2B - x40
Commander Shepard - x40
Chell - x38
Jonesy - x37
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Jason Frudnick - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Daitoryo - x20
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
Clockman (NASB) - x10
Mash Kyrielight - x10
Rangi (NASB) - x10
King Harkinian - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ahri - x5
Odie (NASB) - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3

And here's some music to get us ready...

I don't think I've thought about this IP since the release of Even More Bloons in, like, 2008... Apparently they had an Adventure Time collab since then? Good for them! Now, does that make Dart Monkey eligible for Multiversus?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
For those of you who don't know, Bloons Tower Defense is a...well, Tower Defense game that has surpassed the normal Bloons franchise, which is a series of physics-based puzzle games where you play as a monkey throwing darts to pop balloons. The franchise has had a significant boost in popularity in recent memory, most likely because of the death of Flash games that happened a while back. The fifth game in the series is even on the Nintendo Switch, too! No, seriously. It's on the eShop, I promise.

BTD is a game of escalation. When you first enter the game, you start with a simple Dart Monkey, our subject character, who does what he does best: throw darts to pop Bloons before they reach the end of the map. But as you keep playing and progressing, things get a little crazy. How crazy, you ask? Well, let's say it involves summoning literal gods, dropping nuclear bombs and raising an army of unpopped Bloons. This is possible through upgrades, which are purchased with money you gain from popping Bloons, and could be a Frank West-style mechanic where the Dart Monkey can upgrade himself as the battle progresses.

Noms:
All in on Mash

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
This thread hasn't been very active.
Yeah, uh, I've noticed! I think this is largely because SmashBoards has turned from a "Check throughout the day" thing for a lot of people to a "Oh, I'll check that once a day... maybe" thing as Smash DLC ended. Not sure what can really be done about that though....

amageish

Smash Master
We should advertise it so new people can join!
True! I'm not sure where one does advertise threads like these though... It gets to be on the front page every time a post is made, which is still somewhat often... I added it to my signature, though it's not like I post in an absurd amount of threads either...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
True! I'm not sure where one does advertise threads like these though... It gets to be on the front page every time a post is made, which is still somewhat often... I added it to my signature, though it's not like I post in an absurd amount of threads either...
now that i think of it that is where i was going wrong with my threads

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Honestly I thought that expanding the scope of the thread to just talking about any characters in any platform fighter capacity would up activity a bit in the post-speculation times, but it seems perhaps not. Not sure how to make it more accessible than that!

amageish

Smash Master
Honestly I thought that expanding the scope of the thread to just talking about any characters in any platform fighter capacity would up activity a bit in the post-speculation times, but it seems perhaps not. Not sure how to make it more accessible than that!
That was the intention, but I think the Boards are just generally quieting down unfortunately... Well, I'm glad we're all still here, at least!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I feel bad that I haven’t really been posting here much lately. I do really appreciate this thread and have been reading along but I’ve got a lot going on with work and other things lately that I haven’t had much time to think about ideas. There are definitely characters I think would be fun to discuss but I’m struggling to narrow it down to one character to nominate.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Here, lemme give this thread a shot in the arm with a question or two:

Firstly, what would a stage be? Bloons has more than a few maps to work with, but I wonder if there's a single map that's the most popular.

Secondly, what would be Dart Monkey's gimmick, and how would it work? Would it be the upgrades I brought up earlier, or would it be something else?

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

Firstly, what would a stage be? Bloons has more than a few maps to work with, but I wonder if there's a single map that's the most popular.
It'd have to be a scrolling stage for sure, progressing along the path of the balloons as the fighters are assaulted by other tower defense objects from the background.

amageish

Smash Master
Here, I'll reply to some questions before we move onto the next round...

Secondly, what would be Dart Monkey's gimmick, and how would it work? Would it be the upgrades I brought up earlier, or would it be something else?
My Bloons knowledge is really stuck in the Flash game days... I really liked the physics puzzle levels though, where you'd bounce things off one thing and then hit another thing.

1636853685661.png

I played the TD games too, but can't say I recall any locals. I just recall a lot of cute monkey designs... and also maybe some just generic shape towers? Is that right?

I think your upgrades idea is the best way to rep a Tower Defense game in general, which Bloons TD is a pretty classic variation on. So, yes, I'd stick with it!

If nobody has further comments, we'll move onto Luna's day sometime tomorrow...

amageish

Smash Master
Okay! Well, I guess it is time to move on...

50-75 noms
Scizor - x80
God Eater Rep - x75
Shovel Knight - x75
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x65
Opa-Opa - x55

26-50 noms
Bubsy - x50
Vectorman - x45
2B - x40
Commander Shepard - x40
Chell - x38
Jonesy - x37
Wilfre - x30
Odie (NASB) - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Jason Frudnick - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Mash Kyrielight - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Daitoryo - x20
King Harkinian - x20
Rangi (NASB) - x20
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
Clockman (NASB) - x10
Carl Johnson - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ahri - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3

We've now got our first non-Smash character to discuss, Luna Loud from The Loud House for Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl. Now, NASB doesn't use music from its shows, but Luna is a musician, so here's a sample of songs related to her anyway...

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I think I'm gonna pass this time, mainly because I don't know much about Loud House aside from the fact that Lincoln and Lucy are in Nick All-Star Brawl.

Noms:
Mash Kyrielight x20
Clockman x10

Last edited:
Top Bottom