• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I always thought Olimar was kind of a tough match up. The factor of rage helps us a ton though. For the most part I don't really think about it because who plays Olimar?

One MU we Lucases need to figure out is Bayo. I'm seeing her everywhere now and I usually don't do so hot because I haven't grinded out the MU yet. She really is "air Sonic" with her side b pokes, and it's infuriating.
I gotchu bro. I have a vid playing a bayo main.

abx

Smash Journeyman
Hey Mekos. I wondered if you could cover the topic of PK Fire usage. You pull the little lightning so often even at relatively close range but you hardly get punished for it. I might be wrong, but I believe that many of these PK Fires aren't really completely safe, lile, unpunishable. At least I have way more trouble with it, up to the point that I'm hesitating to make full use of one of Lucas' greatest tools. I would appreciate any input greatly.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Hey Mekos. I wondered if you could cover the topic of PK Fire usage. You pull the little lightning so often even at relatively close range but you hardly get punished for it. I might be wrong, but I believe that many of these PK Fires aren't really completely safe, lile, unpunishable. At least I have way more trouble with it, up to the point that I'm hesitating to make full use of one of Lucas' greatest tools. I would appreciate any input greatly.
yea, man I have been perfectly spacing (for the most part) pk fire since the brawl days. It was one thing that made my Lucas unique.

I'm basically reading my opponent the whole match and pk firing when I know it will hit them or their shield or just pressure them.
I'm kinda watching my opponent as I play, if that makes sense.

Thanks for your input. I'll put it on my list to make a video about it. Oh yea, the reason I spammed it in brawl was to lower the shield before I went in with nair. Now, in smash 4 the shield has been fixed and we can spam pk fire again, pk hide in shield. Once it is small enuff we can fair or nair them more safely. Sometimes the pk fire will even pk. And on certain matchups llke ness, im finding it;s good to run in and up smash.

Btw, Tuesdays video is how to fight Ness.

Last edited:

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
I'd like a little input on a question: When/if you try to go for footstool combos on fastfalling characters, do you usually attempt to start to combo at 0% with n-air -footstool -> last hit of d-air; OR, do you rather get their damage to about 20% then proceed with the previously stated combo? Getting the combo at 0% has pretty strict timing so I'd figure it'd be less useful. I honestly have trouble doing the footstool-lock combo in the first place, but I find it easier to chain when the opponent has some damage. I've tried this on Fox and Bayo, and both have similar results. If there are any other suggestions or set-ups I'd like to hear them. Thanks for reading, and I hope you have a fantastic day! :b:

Just a little note: after a bit of contact I have succeeded in getting one of the Wii U moderators to sticky the Tournament Results thread, and it sounds like they are working on getting an appropriate moderator for the Lucas forums soon. So yay!

Last edited:

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
I'd like a little input on a question: When/if you try to go for footstool combos on fastfalling characters, do you usually attempt to start to combo at 0% with n-air -footstool -> last hit of d-air; OR, do you rather get their damage to about 20% then proceed with the previously stated combo? Getting the combo at 0% has pretty strict timing so I'd figure it'd be less useful. I honestly have trouble doing the footstool-lock combo in the first place, but I find it easier to chain when the opponent has some damage. I've tried this on Fox and Bayo, and both have similar results. If there are any other suggestions or set-ups I'd like to hear them. Thanks for reading, and I hope you have a fantastic day! :b:

Just a little note: after a bit of contact I have succeeded in getting one of the Wii U moderators to sticky the Tournament Results thread, and it sounds like they are working on getting an appropriate moderator for the Lucas forums soon. So yay!
You can't footstool jablock light fastfallers like Fox, Sheik and Greninja. There isn't enough time. You can if they DI up and you do a N-air beforehand. But it shouldn't work.

And at last stuff is happening. Now let's hope someone becomes a moderator soon so stuff can get cleaned up and stays that way.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Okay Lucas fans, it's your friendly front page writer here to come and ask for some help to write one of my most popular series: the character expert articles! I need to know from you guys, who are the best Lucas players to try and contact to get some expert opinions on Lucas so I can get him featured on the front page :D

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Okay Lucas fans, it's your friendly front page writer here to come and ask for some help to write one of my most popular series: the character expert articles! I need to know from you guys, who are the best Lucas players to try and contact to get some expert opinions on Lucas so I can get him featured on the front page :D
Heh, it's kind of up in the air who the best Lucas mains are at the moment. The only ones I really know of with any significant exposure are Xanos, Hakii, and Taiheita (the only one who has recently gotten a strong result at a high level tournament with Lucas). I'd definitely say to try and get in contact with them for good Lucas info. Really, most of the Lucases on here would be able to give you great insight on the character. Few people main him, but the people who do definitely know his stuff.

Excited for this article.

Last edited:

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Well, I'm coming out of retirement now and am the best Lucas in the world for super smash bros brawl. The current US Lucas players seem to focus on a bait to grab game play. I use my unique brawl play style which is about a bait and punish boxing play style that relies on reading the opponent.

I don't mind talking about my thoughts on Lucas. Maybe an article on why he is viable after the buffs and why he was so terrible before. Who I think he beats and who I think he struggles against. You can see my power level at my YouTube channel where I face pros everyday.

I also have a video I posted yesterday which is going viral currently. So that is a current event that could lead into the article.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6s28tAfkZE

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
Heh, it's kind of up in the air who the best Lucas mains are at the moment. The only ones I really know of with any significant exposure are Xanos, Hakii, and Taiheita (the only one who has recently gotten a strong result at a high level tournament with Lucas). I'd definitely say to try and get in contact with them for good Lucas info. Really, most of the Lucases on here would be able to give you great insight on the character. Few people main him, but the people who do definitely know his stuff.

Excited for this article.
Thanks for your interest in Lucas, SmashCapps! I'd agree with Login_Sinker when it comes to "professional" Lucas mains to interview: Hakii, Xanos, and Taiheita. I'd also highly recommend Mekos as well since he's pretty credible and is looking to improve the Lucas meta, even after just recently coming out of retirement. Of course there is PinkFresh as well, but because he just recently dropped Lucas for Bayonetta it probably would not help our image. If you have trouble with information, I would once again agree with Login_Sinker on interviewing a couple of Lucas mains on the forums to get a majority consensus. Lots of regular/active members have decent knowledge of Lucas from his matchups, best options, and viability.

I'm looking forward to this article as well! Thank you for your interest again SmashCapps, and I hope you have a fantastic day! :b:

abx

Smash Journeyman
Mekos Mekos : Are you referring to patch 1.1.3? The patch note thread for 1.1.4 indicates no changes for Lucas and SmashWiki has nothing listed for Lucas either.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Mekos Mekos : Are you referring to patch 1.1.3? The patch note thread for 1.1.4 indicates no changes for Lucas and SmashWiki has nothing listed for Lucas either.
I've been sick and just recently got out of the hospital. I don't know which patch it was. But Lucas is clearly different from when he was first released. That is my point. He was trash before and is now viable! :)

The changes to Lucas and Smash 4 mechanics have helped us tremendously!

Last edited:

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
Okay so Hakii, Xanos, and Taiheita. Where a good place to contact them? Do they visit the site often?
Hakii's Twitter: https://twitter.com/ATX_Hakii
Xanos's Twitter: https://twitter.com/XanosNess
Taiheita... well he's a Japanese player so it might be hard to get in contact with him unless you could get in contact with other Japanese players like Abadango, Ranai, or Komorikiri. His teammate in doubles is Gomamugitya, but being another Japanese player he's likely hard to get in contact with as well.

I can't say I ever really see them on Lucas forum, or even SmashBoards in general. Xanos made a pretty recent post last week; "Lucas Wavebounce and Breverse PK Fire Guide!", but before that I don't think he was very active. I'll have link to the thread below the post. Hope this helped in any way! :b:

Edit: Bit of a sidenote, but you might want to get some input from Nakat as well. He's been considering making Lucas a regular character of his. Just a thought.

Lucas Wavebounce and Breverse PK Fire Guide! Thread - http://smashboards.com/threads/lucas-wavebounce-and-breverse-pk-fire-guide.432863/#post-20989058

Last edited:

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
Hakii's Twitter has a post from him literally one day ago saying he's considering dropping Lucas; if you interview him, interview Pink Fresh as well. Just because neither of them might be feeling Lucas anymore doesn't mean they can't give you insight on the character.

But, in general, the five or so people who regularly post here could give you all the info you need for your article.

Last edited:

abx

Smash Journeyman
I agree that Lucas mains which are about to drop him shouldn't be neglected. They can offer different conclusions concerning Lucas' viability which could contrast the conclusion of dedicated Lucas' playe. Audiatur et altera pars.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
Hakii's Twitter has a post from him literally one day ago saying he's considering dropping Lucas; if you interview him, interview Pink Fresh as well. Just because neither of them might be feeling Lucas anymore doesn't mean they can't give you insight on the character.

But, in general, the five or so people who regularly post here could give you all the info you need for your article.
I agree that Lucas mains which are about to drop him shouldn't be neglected. They can offer different conclusions concerning Lucas' viability which could contrast the conclusion of dedicated Lucas' playe. Audiatur et altera pars.
I am not against adding PinkFresh to the interview, but I do feel like the reply section will be filled with more negative comments than positive ones. Though it may be just as worse if PinkFresh is not interviewed and people begin to question Lucas. It's a bit of a Catch 22 honestly: Talk about Lucas with PinkFresh included and people will use him as an example to undermine Lucas, OR leave PinkFresh out of the article, but have people question why he was left out and in turn question the character. Keep in mind, NONE of this may happen. But I've been on the internet long enough to know that people like to insult others and spread controversy rather than react positively.

Last edited:

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I was recently considering swapping Lucas for Cloud to go with my Sonic because I felt like several top tier match ups were more trouble than they were worth.

With the array of significant nerfs that were dished out to them this patch, now I'm not so sure.

k-ta

Smash Cadet
NNID
shadowkyo
3DS FC
5284-1414-9946
This new patch honestly seems like a giant middle finger to Corrin in particular

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Agreed. I think Corrin was the most nerfed DLC character this patch. No idea why. I felt like he/she was in a perfect place minus the dumb counter :(

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Agreed. I think Corrin was the most nerfed DLC character this patch. No idea why. I felt like he/she was in a perfect place minus the dumb counter :(
I've been practicing with one of swedens topplayers recently, and he has made the switch to Corrin. I can see why she got nerfed, never thought they nerf her so hard tho... All they needed to fix was the counter and I wouldve been happy, but i guess we take those! Alot of nerfs / buffs over the roster that was well needed though, even if Lucas maybe didnt get any changes this patch.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
Soooooo, that sheik nerf though. :)
F-throw nerf will completely change the match-up because before F-throw-> Bouncing fish worked until 70%ish and now she gets absolute squat anymore and we where already capable to dodge a lot of her F-tilt combonanigans because Lucas is floaty.
Honesty this might makes this match-up combined with all her other nerfs extremely close to... Do I dare to say it?
No I won't.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
This patch was pretty out of nowhere. I agree that it didn't really make sense to me to nerf Corrin how they did, all except for the counter; that definitely warranted a nerf. Sheik losing one of her best combos is a pretty big deal, along with Cloud getting nerfs to his limit charge and finishing touch. Characters who received significant buffs like Samus and Charizard might actually begin to see the light of day. I don't feel like many people will move on the tier list however, with the excepetion of Samus who got some MUCH needed changes to her hitboxes, and Meta Knight who lost his most guaranteed kill option. I'm still waiting till the end of all of this to have a final opinion, though. The patch was a blessing to many, but a curse to a lot of top players.

Last edited:

abx

Smash Journeyman
I cherish this patch overall. I think that the tweaks to currently dominating characters are appropiate for the most part. There will always be a huge gap between top and bottom, but opening uo the field of viability is always nice. Most importantly: This patch proves once and for all that Sakurai only referred to buyable DLC when he spoke about the final DLC. Some characters desperately in need of some buff (Dedede, Jigglypuff) seemingly received nothing, but at least one can hope that they might be part of the next fixing truck.
Only downsides are Bayonetta and Corrin imo. Corrin got hit hard while Bayonetta, as far as one can tell right now, got away almost unscathed. My prediction is that Bayo might get further treatment in yet another patch or there are a lot of unconfirmed changes. I can't picture that she doesn't warrant any more changes.

Last edited:

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I overall loved this patch because it was a big indirect buff to Lucas. Several top tier match ups just got significantly easier.

Also, Bayonetta's WT did get nerfed all around along with her side b combo starter.

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
I'm happy because of the higher tier nerfs but the only thing I wish would get buffed is Lucas' dash grab.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
Anybody notice any changes for Lucas? I have not.
I can't 100% confirm or deny this, but I think Lucas's grab was changed a bit so that he can grab up close. I've had times where the opponent is right next to me and I miss the grab, but in the most recent patch this has never happened. Personally I do like to wait for actual data to be confirmed, but this is something that I noticed after playing a bit and reviewing a video I uploaded recently.

Noctiluca

Smash Cadet
Hey y'all!
I'm new to Smashboards, been a Lucas main since Brawl and I'm here to learn the meta from the masters :dr^_^: posting for the alerts.... thanks :) *retreats*

MrStardustRicon

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrStardustRicon
Y'all are talking about Corrin nerfs, which certainly is true with things like his counter, up air, and his speed. His fair could've ironically been buffed because of the nerf tbh. With less knockback on fair due to the lower damage he is most likely going to have an easier time comboing fair into itself for longer. (also hi, usually I don't post much on boards but I'm trying to become more active now...)

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Haven't actually played them yet post patch, but in theory, Sheik is a bajillion times easier. This is because it is literally borderline impossible for her to kill us with the removal of the 50/50. She now just builds up our rage, and has to play absolutely perfect, other wise we get that one punish and she dies at 60%.

Noctiluca

Smash Cadet
Awesome! I do think Sheik was nerfed in the wrong area in terms of balance, but I'm not reeaaally complaining :secretkpop: now it's just Bayonetta, but those DI tips from Mekos will help a ton!

Last edited:

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Yup. Even Bayo isn't so bad of a match up. That's the beauty of our character. He really has no unwinnable match ups. His whole spread with top tiers is almost entirely made up of 50:50s, 45:55s, and 55:45s.

Top Bottom