• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
Tbh Bidou is a cool concept and I have tons of respect for the player that found it. But my problem with Bidou, is that it's been out for 7 months in Japan and nobody has risen or done anything really while using it. I wouldn't spend time learning this new controller scheme if there's nothing I can do with it. Especially since we are Lucas players, we probably wouldn't find any good use for it anyways. Lucas doesn't really thrive off of any PP's, or anything that Bidou has to offer imo.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
How would you it without getting punished hard? I've never figured out some proper usage for PK-Freeze except rare mix ups for racking up damage on juggled opponents.
If RosaLuma is spacing you out you can use it on her. PK-freeze only has 5 frames lag which is less than F-tilt in neutral. As long as PK-freeze doesn't dissolve into a platform (which adds 8 frames of lag) it's close to impossible to punish. (What Dabuz was doing at 6:19 for example)
You should always let go early if they are approching, which is exactly what you want them to do.

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
But my problem with Bidou, is that it's been out for 7 months in Japan and nobody has risen or done anything really while using it. I wouldn't spend time learning this new controller scheme if there's nothing I can do with it. Especially since we are Lucas players, we probably wouldn't find any good use for it anyways.
Baseless pessimism, sure, that's a great way to advance Lucas competitively.

If RosaLuma is spacing you out you can use it on her. PK-freeze only has 5 frames lag which is less than F-tilt in neutral. As long as PK-freeze doesn't dissolve into a platform (which adds 8 frames of lag) it's close to impossible to punish. (What Dabuz was doing at 6:19 for example)
You should always let go early if they are approching, which is exactly what you want them to do.
Or throw it out a few times and immediately let it go to see what they do in response; they might not be committing to a full approach. It's also worth keeping out for the full duration if they're across the stage and you know they can't get to you in time. If they start running in, you can put serious shield pressure on them.

Last edited:

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
Baseless pessimism, sure, that's a great way to advance Lucas competitively.

Or throw it out a few times and immediately let it go to see what they do in response; they might not be committing to a full approach. It's also worth keeping out for the full duration if they're across the stage and you know they can't get to you in time. If they start running in, you can put serious shield pressure on them.
It isn't baseless or pessimistic. Lucas barely gets anything off of PP'S or the movement options that bidou tech shows. All bidou does is make more advanced movement options easier to pull off. Lucas doesn't gain anything, imo, from PP's, foxtrot cancelling, or anything of that nature. Besides, it's obvious that bidou is more beneficial to faster characters, or characters with bad end lag.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Bidou isn't absolutely useless though; general movement options can always be useful (if only rarely for Lucas). As mentioned Lucas can get some nice mileage out of Dtilts in certain situations.

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
The assumption that there is nothing that any Lucas player can or will find with Bidou. Pessimism, which has no reasonable basis.
I didnt say there is nothing. Bidou could change Lucas' meta as we know it, but I said Lucas doesn't really thrive off of anything Bidou related, IMO. I'm sure you know what that acronym means. It's what "I" feel about Bidou and how "I" feel about Lucas players using it. Nothing I say, is correct to everyone and that's okay. You just need to realize that this is how "I" feel about all of this. And instead of sarcastic remarks and criticism, how about telling people why they are wrong and how they could fix themselves, because I guarantee that there are others that feel the same way about Bidou and Lucas as I do.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
Just as a notification: we are all FE characters now. And I get a character I don't even know. I feel cheated. :p

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
this is so disconcerting. and all my mains were changed to FE chars :/ why do I main roy twice?

Last edited:

k-ta

Smash Cadet
NNID
shadowkyo
3DS FC
5284-1414-9946
MrStardustRicon said:
He's okay, just outclassed by other people who can do the same things but better.
Sounds like 90% of all FE characters :p

abx

Smash Journeyman
Geitz is underrated though. He comes in midgame and does fine with pretty much no further investment. He's helping by taking another front quite confidently when you really just invested in few self-promoted characters for rushing to the chapter goal, being the efficiency-craving smug you are. He's better than Isadora or Wallace (shudder) and keeps up until Harken and Pent drop in. I still consider Geitz mid tier.

#FeelingTheFireEmblemSpirit

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
After reading his bios and stuff I guess he's not all bad. I still would've preferred a character I knew better, in all honesty. Lon' qu would've been a neat surprise, and I'd have definitely taken Eirika.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
Don't forget guys, Mekos will be playing at Pound 2016 this weekend! In a Twitter post by Mekos: "I'm wave D43. It's supposed to start at 4pm eastern time". I'll leave a link to Mekos's Twitter and the Pound Smash 4 stream below. Be sure to root for your favorites today, hopefully one of them being Mekos!

Mekos Twitter: https://twitter.com/Mtotheekos
Pound Smash 4 Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp2

abx

Smash Journeyman
I'm not so sure about his position. PinK Fresh pushed him into loser's bracket where he made it to round 2. In L2.1 someone called SS (ranked 17th) kicked him out of the tournament.

EDIT: Mekos also participated in doubles together with Day but got moved to Loser's by VoiD/Nakat (ranked 2nd) after few rounds. Angel Cortes / Max Ketchum kicked them out then.

It was tough competition and he faced strong opponents early on.

Last edited:

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Meanwhile Taiheita got 2nd at Kurisuma, so it's been a good weekend for Lucas results.

Edit: In case anyone was wondering, Mekos got 49th at Pound according to Twitter.

Last edited:

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I'm not so sure about his position. PinK Fresh pushed him into loser's bracket where he made it to round 2. In L2.1 someone called SS (ranked 17th) kicked him out of the tournament.

EDIT: Mekos also participated in doubles together with Day but got moved to Loser's by VoiD/Nakat (ranked 2nd) after few rounds. Angel Cortes / Max Ketchum kicked them out then.

It was tough competition and he faced strong opponents early on.
Hey guys! Thanks for the support! This tournament I went in unseeded! Smh. It's unfortunate they did me like that. I didn't expect to make it out of pools but I did. Overall it was a great experience for my first tournament back into the scene. I got a lot of growing to do before I get my brawl powers back but I'm on the way there! Btw, I have a video going live at 11:30am about my thoughts of the whole experience.

Also, I'm proud of my performance against Pink Fresh. That was my first time facing a Bayonetta and I faced the best one in the US! It was a great learning experience! SS is K9's brother. It was last hit every game. I'm happy with that outcome because I know I'm not at full power! Not even close! We are only going up from here boys!! :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Congratulations, Mekos Mekos ! You did your best. Having a good experience returning to the scene makes me happy, can't wait to see what else you're gonna do in Smash 4! I loved your Lucas in Brawl all those years back.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Christ it's been a year since I lost my **** at Lucas' announcement. Time rolls fast.
I still remember waking up that morning, opening up reddit like usual, and BOOM. The trailer was right there on the front page. Easily hyped me up more than any other character trailer before or after it because it was so unexpected, and it was announcing my favorite character from Brawl.

MrStardustRicon

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrStardustRicon
I always believed he'd come back. Too bad he felt really wrong to me when he first did come back....

abx

Smash Journeyman
And here I thought I was the only one who was somewhat irritated at Lucas' new form.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
Since we are discussing the past, I feel like sharing my experience. I had played Lucas in Brawl as a secondary for Falco, but I wasn't really competitive at the time so I mainly played Lucas anyways. I had also played Mother 3 prior to his announcement as DLC for Smash 4. Then when that fateful Nintendo Direct came around and the trailer began with Ness getting his butt whopped, I knew who was coming to save him. It was also a godsend because Falco was changed in quite a few ways from Brawl, and because of my love for Lucas as a character I decided I would main him no matter what. His release was a bit rocky and I was unsure, but I continued to play him. As the patches kept coming he only seemed to benefit which made me super happy. Now I'm still here repping my baby boy in tournaments. I'm very thankful he's here; otherwise I might still main Little Mac. :p

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Since we are discussing the past, I feel like sharing my experience. I had played Lucas in Brawl as a secondary for Falco, but I wasn't really competitive at the time so I mainly played Lucas anyways. I had also played Mother 3 prior to his announcement as DLC for Smash 4. Then when that fateful Nintendo Direct came around and the trailer began with Ness getting his butt whopped, I knew who was coming to save him. It was also a godsend because Falco was changed in quite a few ways from Brawl, and because of my love for Lucas as a character I decided I would main him no matter what. His release was a bit rocky and I was unsure, but I continued to play him. As the patches kept coming he only seemed to benefit which made me super happy. Now I'm still here repping my baby boy in tournaments. I'm very thankful he's here; otherwise I might still main Little Mac. :p
Haha I also played Mother 3 in order to prepare for Lucas's return.

When I played Brawl, I was as casual as could be. Free for alls, all items on, Temple, etc. I loved to play as Lucas more than anyone else. Smash 4 was my first time going competitive in any game, and I was having a hard time settling on a character before he came out. I guess some others feel differently, but even from when he first came out, I knew he was the character for me. Even though I never played competitively before, the comfort of handling Lucas definitely carried over from the years of casual Brawl. Been playing the boy since he released, and don't plan on stopping any time soon.

Last edited:

k-ta

Smash Cadet
NNID
shadowkyo
3DS FC
5284-1414-9946
Oh man so many stories about Lucas' reveal last year. It's beautiful.

I remember wanting to go crazy with excitement for nearly the entirety of the Ness-Getting-Destroyed Montage, but I relented until Lucas came in because I felt like Sakurai could have pulled off an epic trolling instead. But when he was confirmed, I was super ecstatic for his return, since I like Lucas as a character based on what I know of Mother 3 (I've only played the first chapter before more rumors of Mother 3's localization surfaced) as well as the fact that this was the first time since Smash 64 where one of my mains FINALLY WASN'T CUT (R.I.P. Pichu, Roy*, Pokemon Trainer).

Since I mained Palutena and Duck Hunt before Lucas was released, as well as my track record with maining low-tiers, I didn't care if Lucas would end up being trash in this game; I told myself ever since his reveal that would gladly main him again. I also feel like my lack of expectations made me a lot happier with how Lucas played in this game than most other people, since I could tell that he was a more solid character than either of my past mains, at least without customs.

abx

Smash Journeyman
Do you remember how Muten-roshi made Son-Goku and Kuririn train with weights attached to them so they would feel super-light in actual combat?:?:

Top Bottom