• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
What are lucas's bread and butter combos/frame traps on fast fallers? (Sheik)
A good bread and butter would be dthrow, uair or something like that because nair strings are near to impossible to do on fast fallers. You could do a SH nair into fair or something like that but not too many follow ups on chars like that.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of localization, I'm still confused as to why they released Earthbound Beginnings instead of Mother 3 on the day Lucas came out.
Also, didn't the translator (Was his name Tomato?) say that if Nintendo wanted to, they could just use the translation?
More of the problem comes from possible lawsuit issues, like with Mr. Batty's battle music or the whole DCMC thing. Maybe some problems with certain themes in the game too. Earthbound Beginning already had an English version ready, and is a lot cleaner to clear for release. All this is speculation of course.

Last edited:

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
lmaooo Hinawa strolls into the final battle with a suitcase and sunburn, pulls them apart by their ears and grounds them.

k-ta

Smash Cadet
NNID
shadowkyo
3DS FC
5284-1414-9946
Nah she's just going to get sent to the Shadow Realm and the only way to bring her back is to win a duel using the 7 God cards.

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
The Tanetane mushroom sequence is just replaced with a couple of anti-drug commercials.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
THIS THREAD STOPPED SENDING ME NOTIFICATIONS WHYYYYYY?

Anyway hi guys. <3

Does anyone know where / if we have a results thread? I went to a tournament in my scene (I haven't been to one in over a year because gap year programs and life and stuff) and got 1st co-maining Lucas and Ness the entire way and I want us to have records of these thingsssssss :p

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
On the topic of localization, I'm still confused as to why they released Earthbound Beginnings instead of Mother 3 on the day Lucas came out.
Also, didn't the translator (Was his name Tomato?) say that if Nintendo wanted to, they could just use the translation?
The translation for EarthBound Beginnings has existed since 1991. Nintendo had the translation laying around and could easily release the game.

Problem with Tomatos translation is that Nintendo is too proud to rely on outside help. They'd likely have to hire Tomato if they wanted to use his translation. Plus, since he made a translation, an official translation would have to make sure they don't use any line Tomato used, to avoid lawsuits (granted, Tomato wouldn't do that, but it's a possibility).

But without Matos translation those rumors floating around right now wouldn't even exist, so good on him!

McDeathstrider

Smash Cadet
NNID
McDeathstrider
3DS FC
4700-0028-0617
Plus, since he made a translation, an official translation would have to make sure they don't use any line Tomato used, to avoid lawsuits (granted, Tomato wouldn't do that, but it's a possibility)
You can file a lawsuit against someone if they so much as use one line from something?
Also, can you even copyright a translation for something that you don't own as an IP?

Last edited:

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
You can file a lawsuit against someone if they so much as use one line from something?
Also, can you even copyright a translation for something that you don't own as an IP?
That's not how it works, Tomato is basing his translation off intellectual property that DOES NOT belong to him. He's stated during the development of his translation that if at any point Nintendo asked him to cease and desist he would've folded immediately. Fortunately Nintendo took a non-participative stance on this, which is what gave us the translated version.

Tomato has explicitly stated that if an official translation is in the works Nintendo would be more than welcome to use his version, because in any case, legally he is not in a position of power. He didn't MAKE Mother 3.

McDeathstrider

Smash Cadet
NNID
McDeathstrider
3DS FC
4700-0028-0617
OK, I think I understand whats going on with that now, thanks for clearing that up. Sorry for my post sounding stupid or something, I know next to nothing about legal stuff.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
still no permanent mod? that's a bit disappointing considering how much time has passed.

Last edited:

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
still no permanent mod? that's a bit disappointing considering how much time has passed.
As in...? Mod for the Lucas forums? Translation mod for Mother 3? Sorry if this sounds stupid, but that question and statement can be interpreted as a couple different things.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I believe Beam's referring to a regular mod for the Lucas boards.

Also PKBeam PKBeam have you managed to make it to any of the UTS meet-ups? It'd be awesome to see you around if you're up for it. :p

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
Let's make the Lucas boards great again.
Agreed. Not only do we need a mod, but we need more active members. Not claiming that I am the most active, but more often than not the Lucas forums are kind of slow. It's about time that this community was shown some PK Love. (Argh, I hate myself.)

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
That's what we need. Well besides more rep in the meta lmao

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
By the way the footstool combo out of grab on some characters appears to be really legit at least on the first 2 grabs. If you can master it it's a quick 64% on someone (or more).

Thats:

Grab ----> Dthrow ---> rising Nair ---> DJ then short footstool ---> wait for a second, then FF Dair ----> land next to them and Ftilt with the weak hit ---> grab them as they get up ----> Dthrow ---> Go straight for the DJ footstool ---> wait for a second, then FF Dair ---> weak hit of Ftilt ---> Either Dsmash as they get up, or for more percent, double Uair.

Good one to try it on early is Marth.

Also we might just need to be a bit more noticing of what goes on in tournaments with us. I'll create a results thread and ask for it to be stickied.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I propose we make me the mod. A Ness main needs to watch over all of you sunflowers.:4ness:

kappa

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
By the way the footstool combo out of grab on some characters appears to be really legit at least on the first 2 grabs. If you can master it it's a quick 64% on someone (or more).

Thats:

Grab ----> Dthrow ---> rising Nair ---> DJ then short footstool ---> wait for a second, then FF Dair ----> land next to them and Ftilt with the weak hit ---> grab them as they get up ----> Dthrow ---> Go straight for the DJ footstool ---> wait for a second, then FF Dair ---> weak hit of Ftilt ---> Either Dsmash as they get up, or for more percent, double Uair.

Good one to try it on early is Marth.

Also we might just need to be a bit more noticing of what goes on in tournaments with us. I'll create a results thread and ask for it to be stickied.
Thanks for the update on the combo! I'm not so sure how effective it could be replicated in tournament, but if it is an option it's best to know that it still exists. On the matter of tournament results page for Lucas I think it's a good idea. Though if you really wanted to you could just manually go to the rankings and look at the recent placings of Lucas and the players. :p

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
I propose we make me the mod. A Ness main needs to watch over all of you sunflowers.:4ness:

kappa
At this point for the Lucas forums any mod is better than no mod. I'm sure you have to be super active and make contributions to the community, but how does one even apply/request to be a mod anyways? Seems like it'd be super difficult.

Reiga

3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
I came around here a few days ago and the day Lucas was announced, but I do some sick puns and know the perfect time to reference that Lucas' mom is dead, so clearly I'm great mod potential kappa

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to the Lucas forum mod tryouts, how tough are ya?

How tough am I? I played through the entirety of Mother 3.

Yeah so?

..., and I only cried 21 times.

Oh **** my b heres ur mod

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
What are the responsibilities of being a mod exactly? I might be interested but I'd want to make sure I can put aside sufficient time for it.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I believe Beam's referring to a regular mod for the Lucas boards.

Also PKBeam PKBeam have you managed to make it to any of the UTS meet-ups? It'd be awesome to see you around if you're up for it. :p
I actually took a long break from Smash recently.... school life has really caught up.
I did enjoy the meets very much, though, so I'll be looking at the next few ones ahead.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
So, I'm working on percentages where D-throw > Up air kills and I just have to share this for the lulz.
RosaLuma dies at 68% from D-throw > Upair if Lucas has 150% rage.
Problem?:troll:

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
So, I'm working on percentages where D-throw > Up air kills and I just have to share this for the lulz.
RosaLuma dies at 68% from D-throw > Upair if Lucas has 150% rage.
Problem?:troll:
I don't ever expect to live till 150% with Lucas against RosaLuma, but if the event ever occurs I guess I'll know what to do. Thanks! ;)

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Guess who's (hopefully) back from the lurker grave. This user right here. Long time no see, fellow Lucas mains. I haven't accomplished a lot in terms of smash in my "vacation" but I brought myself a carted version of the Mother 3 translation to play the game the way it is meant to be played, On that tiny little gameboy making me prefer my desktop monitor. :p

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
Guess who's (hopefully) back from the lurker grave. This user right here. Long time no see, fellow Lucas mains. I haven't accomplished a lot in terms of smash in my "vacation" but I brought myself a carted version of the Mother 3 translation to play the game the way it is meant to be played, On that tiny little gameboy making me prefer my desktop monitor. :p
Haven't been here long enough to meet your acquaintance, but more active members are what we need right now! So I'm glad to meetcha! Oh and by the way, I have a boxed copy of Mother 3 (from Japan) with the cartridge and the manual. *humble brag*

Reiga

3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
sup.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I haven't met you, but welcome back!

Top Bottom