• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
How many of you guys have played Mother (EarthBound Zero)? What did you think of it?

I wish there was a Ninten alt for Ness.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
How many of you guys have played Mother (EarthBound Zero)? What did you think of it?

I wish there was a Ninten alt for Ness.
To be honest, I personally don't think that much of it. But that might be in part because of how spoiled I am by modern game design.

Don't get me wrong, its story and setting is superb, and I love the feel of its atmosphere, almost like something out of a child's dream. But the gameplay is reflective of Itoi's then inexperience and gradually frustrated attitude towards his first creation in the gaming medium. It's grind heavy, the completely random encounters are cancer, and battles can really test your patience.

Nonetheless, the story and characters that come out of it are every bit as memorable as you'd expect from a MOTHER game. Ninten would be a wonderful if not highly unlikely addition to the Smash games, though an alternate from Ness in his homage would be appropriate.

Last edited:

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
No real Lucas representation aside from Pink Fresh battling in dubs and the crew battle. In singles I think he went Dark Pit more because of matchups. Either way, he didn't make it very far.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I still can't decide if Lucas is still just waiting for the right player, or if he really is just not that good. He seems quite underrated to me in theory, but I dunno. The results just aren't showing it.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
Realistically you can say that about most of the cast. Players who have the time and money to show up at big tourneys usually aren't inclined to use characters that aren't proven top tier. Dedicated character specific players are few and far in between, and is even rarer for one to have the ability to travel around to attend national events. This isn't a Lucas exclusive gripe.

Plus, we're barely coming to the half year mark for his release. No worries dude. ;)

Last edited:

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Yeah, that's definitely true. Either way, I plan to keep repping the character as best I can in the mean time.

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
Apparently Big D caught the scent of Falcon Fear and it was GG no re.

Is the matchup that bad?

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Congrats to Pink Fresh for getting second place at this week's Xanadu! Great performance.

Shout out to Tension for abusing the hell out of his shield tho

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
I actually think every character in the game has a negative matchup against Fox because having to listen to his obnoxious voice is like trying to win while the inbred child of a raccoon and an air conditioner attacks your ears.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
I would like to share a short, yet horribly cliche story of mine.

There was a man who owned a set of scales. On each plate, lived a community of people so tiny their faces were unintelligible, voices indistinguishable. The scale was set beside a window, where the sun would shine upon its sleek brass surface, and illuminate the small houses of the villages on both sides.

One day, the right side of the scale began to lower. Subtly, millimetre by millimetre, until one side of scale had ducked under the windowsill, out of the sunlight's reach, and the village resting on the ban rested in darkness. At first, the man was curious at this development, but that curiosity quickly dissolved into an unnerved frown as he saw tiny people, shadowed but still visible, gather at the edge of the shadowed scale, all facing him, all waving their arms frantically at him, all shouting in their squeaky incoherent voices at him.

The cacophony of scared sounds made the man panic, and he set out to try and help them the best he can. A short search through his pockets procured a penny, and he, with meticulous care as to not crush any houses or people, set it down upon the left end of the scale. A fleeting moment of pride in solving the issue quickly gave way to horror as the scale tipped at terrifying speeds, and he was now presented the same dilemma in reverse. As one village's voices dimmed in contentment of being in the sun again, the other, suddenly plunged into darkness, rose theirs. Hands waved and voices screeched in near identical fashion.

Thinking quickly, the man's eyes darted around his table, and landed on a small paper clip. Soon, the paper clip was slowly being lowered down on the right pan. A penny and a paper clip upon each side, the scale slowly moved again, but it did not stop in the middle, and kept swinging until the right side was once again out of the sun. And once again, voices rose against him, this time with an inflection of anger.

One final attempt. Ignoring the sweat dripping from his brows, the man slowly, much more slowly than seemed necessary, lowered a small ball of wadded paper atop the penny. Silence as the scale creaked alive, and elation broke through the man's face as the plates seemed to begin to balance... yet it was not meant to be, as the left side once again kept moving until it was darkened. And now the people on both ends of the scale were shouting in illegible yet clearly indignant voices at him, as they tired of their homes constantly tipping. At the end of his rope, the man turned, shoulders slumped, from his scale, and walked away. His shaking hands were too big, too powerful to be of any good to the people of those communities, and his interventions only brought more unhappiness. It was best for him to leave.

As the man disappeared from view, the tiny people of the scales quietened, and without a source to expel their frustrations, instead began to think. How could they fix their homes so that both sides could be in the sunlight again? And then, one daring individual began to climb the delicate golden chain supporting their village's pan, up onto the balancing rod, over to the other side, and down the other golden chain. And that seemed to pave the way to a delightful solution, as the two communities carefully worked as one, moving people and things from one side to the other with this method, and soon, by their own hands, the scale swung with both sides happily in the sun once again.

When the man eventually returned, and saw with surprise, that his scale was once again in balance, and the people on both sides happily going about their business, unmindful of his presence, he broke into a smile, realizing that perhaps the best thing he could've done, was nothing at all.

...Now wasn't that a long a convoluted way of expressing my distaste for patch-prayers?

I'm bringing this up (in my own long convoluted way) because recently I've noticed a streak of just that within my local Sm4sh community, and my circle of online friends. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth, because not only is asking for patches, or worse, petitioning for patches, shameful, it is inconsiderate of so many others that would be affected.

I've been an active member of communities for games like Red Alert 2, Starcraft, CounterStrike, etc, so I have a good grasp on the goods and bads of gameplay patches. It is just to say that sometimes they are necessary to prevent a game from staling out too fast from an overpowering strategy (one has to wonder what could've been if Brawl Meta Knight came with extended post release neighbourhood watch), and more often than not continued developer support through patches has the best of intentions in mind, to smooth out perceived imbalances in player to player gameplay.

But frequent hand holding encourages laziness, sloth, unwillingness to change themselves. It's like being spoon fed 3 square meals a day by your parents until they finally kick you out, in the end, not only do you not learn to do anything, but it's also pretty much guaranteed nobody in that situation will end up happy. I do not claim to understand the hefty difficulty game developers face of trying to find a balance between staying active to please their community while not overfeeding them so as they're constantly nipping at their heels, but sometimes I wonder what a game could be like if more time was given to dedicated players to find their own "patches" through playing the game beyond what they know.
Perhaps developers are unwilling to risk their game losing favour by not changing the "clearly imbalanced" state of their game, and more often than not patches will seems "necessary" in hindsight, but at the end of the day, the only way a game truly evolves is through its players. And there is no evolution to be found sitting on your ass pouting and refreshing the patch notes page. I can understand the disgruntlement of getting the short end of the stick on your side of the game, but you need to remind yourself your side is not the only side, and this is even more relevant to Sm4sh, with all the sides you can choose from. Having a non top tier character is tough as a competitor, yet it is that same adversity that must be overcome to be a better player, or might as well pack your bags and leave.

TL,DR, don't patch-pray. It is disgraceful.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Got my Lucas amiibo today! Thankfully here in Austria amiibo are rarely out of stock.

Got mine yesterday, he is my first amiibo. They are fun little things to have. So sadly, I'm on the hunt now for my sub mains and all fire emblem characters, since I like the series and they can be used elsewhere.

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
If you don't live in a country where amiibo are in great supply, just take the hit and pay more for amiibo on eBay. Your time is worth more than your money on these, and at the end of the day, they're still amazingly cheap for how well-made the figurines themselves are.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
I named my Lucas Amiibo Claus, then promptly spiked him offstage while wearing the baby Drago alt. Serendipity at its finest ~

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I'm hoping Lucas gets buffed again this Wednesday. If we're looking at the full scope of competitive viability, he's still pretty bad tbh :(

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping Lucas gets buffed again this Wednesday. If we're looking at the full scope of competitive viability, he's still pretty bad tbh :(
I hope/think he'll get a buff, mainly because japan thinks he's low tier so if they listen to that, prepare for more PK Offense up.

Also, got 25th/87 at a tournament losing to Ness and Diddy. (I hate diddy, stupid monkey)

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I'm thinking DLC characters would probably get a bit of priority when it comes to buffs, since you pay extra for those characters and the staff would probably like to ensure some quality control, so you get your moneys worth.

Cloud could use some nerfs though.

Last edited:

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
I hope/think he'll get a buff, mainly because japan thinks he's low tier so if they listen to that, prepare for more PK Offense up.

Also, got 25th/87 at a tournament losing to Ness and Diddy. (I hate diddy, stupid monkey)
The single-most important buff I want Lucas to have (back) is nair auto-cancelling off of a short hop. It auto-cancels just like 2-3 frames too late right now.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
A friend of mine told me that there's a rumor going around that Mother 3 is finally coming to America. Has anyone else heard of this or whether or not it's true?

Laniv

Smash Champion
A friend of mine told me that there's a rumor going around that Mother 3 is finally coming to America. Has anyone else heard of this or whether or not it's true?
Eurogamer has reported it, yes. But until we get official confirmation, please keep this around:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
For sure. I'm more or less jaded towards the whole prospect of it, but who knows. It is year 10 after all.
Don't want to sound too hopeful, but if there was a time to localize MOTHER3, it'd be now, considering how much attention the series has gotten over the past few years.

McDeathstrider

Smash Cadet
NNID
McDeathstrider
3DS FC
4700-0028-0617
On the topic of localization, I'm still confused as to why they released Earthbound Beginnings instead of Mother 3 on the day Lucas came out.
Also, didn't the translator (Was his name Tomato?) say that if Nintendo wanted to, they could just use the translation?

Top Bottom