• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot Punch Charge Cancel to Back Air

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Yeah, I've discovered this some time ago, but I have just decided to post it.

I am not entirely sure if anyone else has discovered this. In my opinion, it's kind of useful for changing your direction in mid-air quickly. (Even though side b can do this, it has a stall, however) Basically, when in the air, pivot and charge your Donkey Punch*, then immediately hit L/R to cancel then back air, or maybe even forward air if there was a certain situation.

So in simpler terms:

• Pivot Charge (Press the opposite direction and press B, but not at once.)
  • Cancel it immediately after (Press L or R.)
  • BACK AIR!

Some of you may find this kind of useful, but if you can learn to successfully pull it off every time, I can see a couple mind-game integrations.

*Obviously does not work when the Donkey Punch is already fully charged.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Nice find!
I see how useful this can be to the DK users. DK sure is working his way up on the tier list.
No DK needs to stay where he is so people will underestimate his great fury.

I guess if somebody tried to gimp you while charging this could be useful.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I knew of this mostly because I sometimes did the same thing with Sheik in Melee. It's pretty useful if you are trying to recover to the stage from high, so you can defend yourself with a bair.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Does anyone know when you will airdodge out of your charge-cancel in the air?

I don't know why, but sometimes I don't airdodge and sometimes I airdodge (when the punch is NOT fully charged).

It would be really good to know this, because I've done this some long time ago very often, but it was way to risky, because sometimes I airdodge and then I can't get back up to the stage.

Btw, it is NOT because I press L/R/whatever more than once.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure it has to do with how long you hold down the L/R button. I find that if I just tap L, I don't air dodge.

It might just be coincidence, though.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure it has to do with how long you hold down the L/R button. I find that if I just tap L, I don't air dodge.

It might just be coincidence, though.
Yeah maybe... I'm testing it right now. If you hold shield too long he will airdodge.

The strange thing is just that I sometimes airdodge while I was testing if I always just press it shortly he shouldn't airdodge... maybe it's because L/R are stupid buttons... >_< I'll try changing something else to shield and if it works maybe I'll use it as new controls for DK ^^

EDIT:

Okay, I tested it. It is strange to suddenly shield with Y, but anyway... I press as slightly as I could, but I still airdodged really often o.O I don't get it, but it has to be something else.

Maybe if you cancel during a specific part of the animation you'll airdodge... >_> how lame.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
It might have something to do with the swings of DK's arm. Similar to how grab attacks affect jump/ground releases.

Luigi player

Smash Master
It might have something to do with the swings of DK's arm. Similar to how grab attacks affect jump/ground releases.
Yeah, I'm now probably 100 % sure it's because of that, because I could do it constantly now, just by hearing at that "swing" sound.

ook

Smash Lord
Yeah, I remember reading somewhere, if you hit L/R when you hear the "swoosh" sound, you won't airdodge.

Or maybe it was something else, but it's definitely a part of the animation that determines it

edit: ninja'd

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
So canceling when you hear the noise prevents air dodging? Just for confirmation.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yeah you have to cancel it after the sound has finished to airdodge. So you have to cancel it during the sound to not airdodge...

Mith_

Smash Champion
actually i just hit the grab button and it doesn't airdodge. no need to time it or anything. or maybe im just pro.

Luigi player

Smash Master
actually i just hit the grab button and it doesn't airdodge. no need to time it or anything. or maybe im just pro.
Well, I just airdodged while using Z to stop the charge. Too bad. Oh well, I'll just use side B then, it's much saver.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Maybe video would be nice?

I think I understand how to do it, but I'd like to make sure Im doin it right.

If someone will do this, please include how to do it with the neutral b punch and the side b and tell why one is better than the other.

Please and thank you

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
i have suicided a few times for charging off stage and i air dodge near the edge instead and end up dying. i tend not to do that as much anymore but sometimes charging off stage is safe.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
^ Just make sure you hit the shoulder button to anticipate the dodge. Depending on when you press the shoulder button you will either dodge or just cancel out the charge. So just in case you dodge your still slightly above the stage and you wont die.

Boxob.

Smash Lord
It's the same as how it was in melee.

Go look it up :p

I've been doing this since release, you can do the same in Melee with anyone who has a chargable special.

Back to my Sonic boards now.

:093:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
This is it. Sit down and play around with DK's charge a bit, and you'll note that he only ever cancels the charged after each full swing. If you input a cancel during a swing, it won't cancel until after the swing.

You also can't punch during any swing in particular, only in between swings.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
aerial pivot charge cancels have been around since Melee. Sheik's used it for B.airs, and occasionally DKs too.
I've been using it since i picked up DK.

Blad01

Smash Lord
aerial pivot charge cancels have been around since Melee. Sheik's used it for B.airs, and occasionally DKs too.
I've been using it since i picked up DK.
Same here :)

The only thing that saves DK from being juggled all day... :p

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
GOD ****ING **** I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what causes DK to sometimes airdodge from canceling his B in teh air is WHEN you press L. (it was driving me nuts)

If you press L (or hold, it doesn't make a difference) during an actual wind, it cancels it soon as the wind finishes...but if you press L right BEFORE a wind he dodges...somewhat odd timing..but god.
so good to know.

EDIT: "when you press L, not B, lol"

Blad01

Smash Lord

what causes DK to sometimes airdodge from canceling his B in teh air is WHEN you press B. (it was driving me nuts)

If you press L (or hold, it doesn't make a difference) during an actual wind, it cancels it soon as the wind finishes...but if you press L right BEFORE a wind he dodges...somewhat odd timing..but god.
so good to know.
That's actually what i suspected but....

YEAH ! Thanks :p Lol that airdodge was so annoying sometimes... -_-'

Dragoomba

Smash Lord

what causes DK to sometimes airdodge from canceling his B in teh air is WHEN you press L. (it was driving me nuts)

so good to know.

EDIT: "when you press L, not B, lol"
Awesum, so basically just holding down L before a wind is the easiest method?

Top Bottom