• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit vs. Kirby! CAN PIT EVEN BEAT HIM!?

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Well I've decided that I'm just not going to main Pit anymore. I mean, I played some Kirbys and go walloped! I'm just done with this. But if anyone has any advice, please tell me!

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
hahahahahahaha As a Kirby player all i can say is find ways to move while attacking or else Kirby is gonna wait till pit attacks. I've played against Azen's Pit and all i can say is i had a chance but i still lost.

Why?

Because he utilizes gliding fair, upair, and mindgames u into Fsmash, plus his arrows rarely miss. That combined with some neutral A and good spacing = a kick A55 PIT

I'll b happy to play anyone who wants to try Pit vs Kirby

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Wow Gonzo, you certainly are chock full of helpful information! Do you have any videos of your Kirby demonstrating the finer points of his game?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I feel very sad about your change. I'll miss your Pit being around to guide me. :(
You taught me a lot, and I thank you for that. If you are not maining Pit, then you must tell me who you are using now, and I can give u replays of my Pit's performance via Wii codes.

Against Kirby... I had a some experience against the little marshmellow. His small size will help him against arrows, but Im learning how to improve my aim with arrow loop in order to stop him. I would usually wait patiently for him to come then attack.
Kirbys usually use F-smash, B-air, F-air, D-air, Side-B, and Up-B. It is hard to beat him, but then I occassionally lose to Spammers.
Treat Kirby similar to metaknight, for they both have 5 jumps, and may pursue you.
And Be careful of the Kirbycide!

To be honest, you wont be the same if you dont use Pit anymore. Well, you should still use him, but also have another character with you. Having more than one main will help with a lot of things. Bowser may be a nice option or maybe Metaknight, but if you dont want to use Pit anymore, I wont stop you, even though i will drop some tears seeing how you are great with him, and i dont want you to let him go. :(
Well, Palutena has also guided me, so dont Give up! We believe in you!

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
Ha, I find Kirby one of my easier matches.

First I rarely use any of my b moves, too low reward for the risk.
  • Arrow - Kirby is short, hard to hit, can manuever around them and get you with an aerial
  • AR - kirby *insert move here* beats AR hands down, too much wind down lag even if you do connect
  • Shield - umm... use against hammer but otherwise aviod
  • WoI - he can gimp you, wingdashing will lead into his fsmash
So in general avoid b moves

Now for your aerials
  • Fair - with proper spacing will beat both his fair and bair
  • Bair - good finishing move but be careful, he may beat it
  • Uair - beats his dair, just watch out for rock, so you beat him if he is above you
  • Dair - out of shield SH to bair, will usually connect and can then combo at lower percents, still not as useful as fair
  • Nair - decent approach against a grounded kiby, a SHed one will connect

Fsmash is just good all around, so I hope that helped.

EDIT: Yes it is good to pick up a second main or secondary (there is a difference), for me Fox is my second main, then I use Wolf to counter Olimars (stupid big nosed dwarf). Keep your options open, you may indeed have to pick up another character to combat some counters to Pit, that is how the game is played.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
So, you're going to give up playing as Pit, simply because some cream puffs beat you? Bah! You're the best Pit player I know, alongside Sagemoon, UndrDog. Giving up on your main because of this is simply the easy way out. It doesn't make your problems go away. Let's say you decide to main another character, and Kirby players still beat you! What then? That's like me quitting on Samus just because I lose against several people who play a good Olimar.

My brother and I did some training not long ago, and he decided to select Kirby. We were on Kirby's stage, Halberd. I was beating him with Samus. When we went to Final Destination, he was whooping my behind! What did I do? I'll tell you that I did not give up! Instead, I picked up the problems that were being used against me. He was rolling too much with Kirby, and so instead of coming at him, I did some rolling and evading of my own.

Don't give up on Pit, UndrDog. You're extraordinary with him! The way you execute Arrow Loops and all that other great stuff inspires me to make my Pit better. In those videos, that Gonzo fellow was using the same attacks on characters who probably weren't fighting back. What I think you should do is find someone who plays as Kirby in your area, kind of like how you brawl with Jasona, and then go from there. Perhaps you'll learn some new things. Show Kirby who's in charge of the heavens!

Edit: FzeroX is right about having other characters to choose from. If I don't perform well with Samus against a certain opponent, I try Pit. If I don't do well with Pit, I try Samus. You don't have to give up your main, UndrDog.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Okay i'll seriously post. Chances are, the kirby wont use arrows as well as you. Plus you have reflectors so play the range game.
For a pink flufball he really has a decent knockback, killing surprizingly low. So watch out for that.
Mirror shield will gimp kirbys up b, so use it when you have that chance.
Smashes out of shield are effective here because kirbys lag on his moves. Dont get grabbed though...
Space yourself.

The rest is mentioned already.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Okay i'll seriously post. Chances are, the kirby wont use arrows as well as you. Plus you have reflectors so play the range game.
For a pink flufball he really has a decent knockback, killing surprizingly low. So watch out for that.
Mirror shield will gimp kirbys up b, so use it when you have that chance.
Smashes out of shield are effective here because kirbys lag on his moves. Dont get grabbed though...
Space yourself.

The rest is mentioned already.
I misread what you said about smashing out of shielding, Sagemoon. However, it has reminded me of another attack method most Kirby players I've come across use. They seem fond of using Down+B and waiting for you to get near by to only use the Forward+B smash. Or, they'll use it before they hit the ground, only to use the Forward+B twice. One in the air, and the other on the ground.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
My, my, it would seem that nobody saw through my extravagantly obvious hoax to attract attention to Kirby. My point of this was first and foremost, to have some fun. However there were two undrlying reasons for my posting this thread.

1) Gonzo is just an amazing Kirby and as a Pit player I figured it would be good for both him and us Pits to have his videos brought to our attention. Which leads for the second point.

2) Kirby will become popular in the tournament scene soon I'm sure. People will begin to find ways around Metaknight throughout this summer and with that will come people searching for new mains. Randomly we're seeing Kirbys pop up that are good and the Smash Scene is slowly taking notice. Kirby will probably be the first character these people will look at. He's very similar to Metaknight as some of you have already alluded to in this thread.

Anyway I just wanted to force some of you into a quiz of what you would try to do against a Kirby opponent. Players like Bum came into the Smash scene late in Melee's lifespan and his DK caught many high profile players by surprise. So much so that he wreaked habit throughout the tournament scene for quite awhile. I just want us Pit players to be prepared for this with Kirby. A good Kirby can give Pit a run for his money. Sneaking kill moves and the ability to gimp Pit's recovery is a reason in and of itself to keep him in the back of our minds as we study match-ups.

In the end though I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to mess with you all. Oh, and if want to get made at me over this, just remember one thing... Sagemoon knew I was doing this too. ^_^ So don't give all the blame.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I kind of had doubts that you were going to give up on Pit. I thought, "Why give up on a character whom you have trained with for so long?" The Kirby I just came across was lousy. All he did was keep on using Down+B while in the air. What a n00b. (I didn't get a point, let alone lose a life.)

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
Undr you are a BEAST!!!

I thought you were crazy when you said,
I played some Kirbys and go walloped
(BTW I think you meant got ;))

Cause by my experiance, Pit has a slight advantage over Kirby, and then you said you were gonna quit, so I said "Stupid Undr, I am going to go and post stuff you already know, and then say to pick up a secondary, so that way you will leave then all I have to do is usurp Samemoon, and be the best Pit, HAHAHA!"

Oh well, I tried.

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
last time i played a kirby i went marth cuz i was sick of trying to catch that thing with pit lol.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Phew, I really thought I was going to lose you, and you got me good.
Last time i faced a Kirby... I used Pit and his arrow looping and "Feint" Arrow Looping to trick Kirby, then attack him.
Maybe It was with MetaKnight, where Kirby loved doing the Hammer.
Nonetheless it was a weak Kirby. I myself have a decent Red Kirby in my team.
However, Pit will stand strong no matter the enemy. Thanks for not leaving us Undr, for I still must learn from you and the others.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
I'm really glad 2 c people taking Kirby more seriously. First tourney i went to was C3 and my opponents chose their secondary and third mains to play against me. Needless to say i took them hugely by surprise. After placing 7th out of 64 players only using Kirby for every match but one, people started looking at Kirby in a new light.

If anyone ever wants to play me to get some practice against Kirby, PM me, i'm always willing to play matches : )

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I'm really glad 2 c people taking Kirby more seriously. First tourney i went to was C3 and my opponents chose their secondary and third mains to play against me. Needless to say i took them hugely by surprise. After placing 7th out of 64 players only using Kirby for every match but one, people started looking at Kirby in a new light.

If anyone ever wants to play me to get some practice against Kirby, PM me, i'm always willing to play matches : )

I'm glad to see the Pit players acknowledging Kirby too. It's really tough to catch him as lmnz said, but the biggest part is he's more dangerous the Metaknight as far as kill moves go. Dair to F-Smash, if taken by surprise, is a handy killer of Pit.

last time i played a kirby i went marth cuz i was sick of trying to catch that thing with pit lol.
LOL!

Krii

Smash Journeyman
Gonzo you turn up in every thread i look at! Your like omni-present or something. But yeah Kirby is powerful. And the similarities with MK are are less than that of clone characters in melee. They have few similarities.

I'd love to play online matches too! =D

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
The similarities they do have however are all strong suits. They are both deadly to Pit for similar reasons. ^_^

Krii

Smash Journeyman
MK is just deadly x.x But yeah Kirby has a $#!t load of ko moves more than in melee >.> I swear Kirby would be sorry if he lost his jumps during up b. Like Pit wold shoot an arrow ruding it and kirby'd be liek "nooO~". But Pit suffers from that now, sadly.... T.T

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
You needn't worry about that. Pit only uses the WoI for recovery when he's safe from most opponents. ^_^

Krii

Smash Journeyman
=o Kool, i could never get into pit enough to understand him extensively. =o

Kirby, now that i think about it, does seem to be a good pit counter, from my understanding. But i'm probably incorrect

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
It's closer to being even then most would think. However I do feel a smart Pit has a higher potential then a smart Kirby. But it's far to early in this game's lifespan to indicate what's smart and what isn't. lol

Oh and for the record, contrary to my first post I have yet to lose to any of the Kirbys I've fought thus far. ^_^

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
NC huh? I suppose we could easily run into one another somewhere along the line. ^_^

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I do indeed feel a change is warranted. I believe Sonic will suffice exceedingly well given the circumstances.
Sonic v Kirby is not good times. Trust me on this. While it's not as annoying as Luigi, the little ball of squish still has a lot of priority, and is fairly hard to hit.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I was mostly joking about playing Sonic. However all someone has to do is trick me into listening to any Sonic song and odds are I'll be urged to play as Sonic for the next day or so. ^_^

Ryazan

Smash Ace
I can't believe you're giving up on Pit because you can't beat Kirby. That's like giving up on hot dogs because burgers taste better. You're Undr, for crying out loud. I'm sure that you can find a way to kick Kirby's *** with a little effort.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
My, my, it would seem that nobody saw through my extravagantly obvious hoax to attract attention to Kirby. My point of this was first and foremost, to have some fun. However there were two undrlying reasons for my posting this thread.

1) Gonzo is just an amazing Kirby and as a Pit player I figured it would be good for both him and us Pits to have his videos brought to our attention. Which leads for the second point.

2) Kirby will become popular in the tournament scene soon I'm sure. People will begin to find ways around Metaknight throughout this summer and with that will come people searching for new mains. Randomly we're seeing Kirbys pop up that are good and the Smash Scene is slowly taking notice. Kirby will probably be the first character these people will look at. He's very similar to Metaknight as some of you have already alluded to in this thread.

Anyway I just wanted to force some of you into a quiz of what you would try to do against a Kirby opponent. Players like Bum came into the Smash scene late in Melee's lifespan and his DK caught many high profile players by surprise. So much so that he wreaked habit throughout the tournament scene for quite awhile. I just want us Pit players to be prepared for this with Kirby. A good Kirby can give Pit a run for his money. Sneaking kill moves and the ability to gimp Pit's recovery is a reason in and of itself to keep him in the back of our minds as we study match-ups.

In the end though I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to mess with you all. Oh, and if want to get made at me over this, just remember one thing... Sagemoon knew I was doing this too. ^_^ So don't give all the blame.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
Sorry undr but you are not allowed to give up on pit haha

i forbid it, not that that means much, but its kinda like jimi hendrix stop playing guitar an switching to drums because he heard one awesome drum solo, ya dig?

yea sure kirby is good and having a secondary is cool but please dont give up on pit, it would just be wasted talent

EDIT: woops i left this page up and went to do things, didnt know you were messing around about switching, however i still like my jimi hendrix allusion

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
At lease u were just playing, for you wouldnt be the same.
I give respect to good Kirbys, but not the spamming ones. Gonzo gots one of the better Kirbys and perhaps I'll use him as one of my alts.
Of course, I'll be maintaining Bowser, Pit, and Meta just in case anything else backfires, like losing to spammers.
Maybe Kirby might be good against Fox spammers.

Top Bottom