• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit Matchup Discussion - R.O.B

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
ok so these characters have alot in common, outstanding recovery and camping, meager kill power, good projectile game, good gimpers, bolth have a reflector, good priority ect.

robs gunna be outranging you for the most part i think so keep good spacing
i think pit have a slight edge in priority so use that to your advantage
keep in mind also robs a heavy character so its not unrealistic to say he will be able to live to 170-200 even possibly while u die at 150 (or possibly lower if you get gimped out of woi)

and also his recovery CAN be gimped just aim your arrows and keep pushing him away

pit wins on the ledge (then again who does outclass him on the ledge) you might want to spend alot of time there

multi hit moves also work well agenst rob so keep your nair and uair in high regard

pit can also (even though he shouldnt need to do this) approach rob decently with nairs or a fair

im gunna say dead even 50-50 they bolth have alot going for them in similar areas

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Pros:
Pit outcamps ROB. That's huge for you.

Cons:
Honestly...everything else.
You're outranged on the ground.
You're outranged in the air.
You have less killing power, and ROB is really hard to kill. Good luck hitting with that bair, you're gonna need it.
You have a worse (not bad, just worse), easier to gimp recovery.

SkyRay

Smash Cadet
I've never had any problems against ROB

of course none of my friends are very good with ROB so..

I'd imagine it would be quite difficult against a ROB main

I understand what stingers is saying but I think there are more cons than he posted

When going against ROB, I would just recommend playing more cautiously and watching out for his more powerful moves.

Coffee™

I need it....
Honestly I don't see much cons in this match. He gimps you better than most characters not you should really ever get gimped that much unless you're trying to recover under the stage. R.O.B also outranges you, but that's about it.

You don't have as much of a problem approaching him as he does approaching you. You also have a lot easier time killing him than he does killing you despite his heavy weight.

rinoH

Smash Lord
uhh everything ROB does is better except camping easy to gimp us prtty much a better Pit oh and his dsmash is really good

Deadweight

Smash Ace
65:35 in favor of ROB
I'D agree with this. Rob out ranges Pit at everything... We can easily gimp your recovery, and are not afraid to chase you off the stage. Your up-b is instant-gayed by our laser so any attempt to go under stages or try anything similar is out of the question. Rob isn't going to be gimped by Pit. A smart rob will know how to conserve fuel and get back safely. Your Nair is good at racking up damage because we are sooooo big youll get each hit. But still thats not enough to change the matchup =D

Afropony

Smash Lord
R.O.B has a really annoying Dsmash which seems to come after a spotdodge a lot of the time.
If a R.O.B grabs you you should expect a laser and try to jump out of the way or even reflect it if you have enough time.
Dtilt is a decent move which can be used to trip the opponent and if you let him he can link some Fairs together although that should never happen to Pit.

Pit will be able to appproach with Nair accasionally which is a good move against ROB. just watch out for a Dsmash or grab after you land. If you can see a gyro coming you can try to reflect it and use its power in your favour. if you dont think you're going to gimp the ROB just try and do some damage on it while he's recovering because he is often vunerable then.

IMO it's 55-45 or 50-50.

Nikenick

Smash Journeyman
I'D agree with this. Rob out ranges Pit at everything...
Donkey Kong outranges Pit even more, but the matchup is 60:40 in Pit's favour.

We can easily gimp your recovery, and are not afraid to chase you off the stage.
Pit has 3 jumps and a glide attack, and he's able to shoot arrows offstage as well to hold you back. It's true that Pit only needs one hit to get gimped once in his Wings of Icarus state and that R.O.B.'s kinda good at gimping, but it'll be hard to gimp a good Pit.
And a failed gimp means that R.O.B. wasted a bit of his fuel so he'll be easier to gimp if Pit maneges to get him offstage before he's able to recharge his fuel.

Your up-b is instant-gayed by our laser so any attempt to go under stages or try anything similar is out of the question.
R.O.B's laser can only be aimed in a few directions ( I believe it's 3). It has some start up lag as well so we can see that you're trying to hit us with the laser because of R.O.B's animation. Though we can be gimped, it's not going to be easy since the laser is kinda limited.

Rob isn't going to be gimped by Pit. A smart rob will know how to conserve fuel and get back safely.
Well a 'smart Pit' will predict R.O.B.'s recovery since it's not the most versile recovery in the game. We can shoot arrows to make you lose fuel and fair works really well to get R.O.B. further offstage.

Your Nair is good at racking up damage because we are sooooo big youll get each hit. But still thats not enough to change the matchup =D
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

NinjaMeepit

Smash Rookie
Imo, I think it's either 50:50, or slightly more towards ROB's favor. The ROB players I play spam f-tilt and n-air, it outranges most of my moves. It's true Pit is better at camping and is better on the edge. Then again, I never play REALLY good ROBs.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I would put this as 50-50 even though it does lean towards Rob's Favor.

For what Pit lacks is range. In fact, more than half the cast outrange him, and that's what makes it hard for him to approach opponents like ROB.
Like what Stingers said, we outcamp ROB, and that will play a major role in stopping him.

-When comparing gimping capability ROB wins only because of our great flaw in the Up-B, and his long-ranged aerials stopping ours. His projectiles can further help him.
-Pit can only use arrows to weaken Rob's Up-B fuel, but that's still not as good as what he can do to us. This is probably the only time it's good to spam arrows, unless you wish to mix it up to keep ROB guessing, like trying to aim for a B-air sweetspot... GL with that.

He isnt one of our worst matchups, but is just a bit hard to truly approach.

Sudai

Stuff here
I just want to correct the misinformation regarding ROB's laser. It is aimable anywhere between the 45 degree and negative 45 degree angles. The magnitude of the angle is determined by how long we're holding up/down after firing the laser.

Also, Pit's camping isn't super effective as ROB can simply FAir through the arrows while approaching if he's too lazy to walk + powershield. Our FAir is disjointed enough that it work.

Other than that, I think I'd put this at 45:55 in ROB's favor. Everthing else has been said.

Twin_Scimitar

Smash Cadet
65:35 in favor of ROB
uhh everything ROB does is better except camping easy to gimp us prtty much a better Pit oh and his dsmash is really good
Umm... yeah no, 65:35? The spacing game really isn't that bad. Match ups that we go 60:40 in at the worst, (ex. Marth), have a harder spacing game. ROB does beat us on the ground, I'll give you that.

Something to consider, Rob isn't that great when people are below him. His d-air is REALLY slow to come out, and doesn't beat the u-air unless you time the u-air really badly.

I'd give ROB the slight edge. It's surprisingly hard to kill him, and he can obviously kill you much easier. I think Dr. X said something about this awhile ago, but you really want to kill him with your bair if you can, it kills well against ROB for some reason. Dr. X should say something about this match up, since although it was awhile ago, OS did main ROB.

Try and play this matchup in friendlies before you end up in a tourney, without experience (you or even both parties), I feel ROB just has a natural advantage.

Coffee™

I need it....
Also, Pit's camping isn't super effective as ROB can simply FAir through the arrows while approaching if he's too lazy to walk + powershield. Our FAir is disjointed enough that it work.
Pit fires arrows faster than R.O.B can Fair, approaching normally is the best
option.

Other than that, I think I'd put this at 45:55 in ROB's favor.
I think the matchup is in Pit's favor. Even at worst.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
I believe this matchup is in ROB's favour. I've played as Pit against ROBs, and ROB's aerials, tilts and d-smash all seemed to give me trouble.

Pit's projectile game can mess up some ROB's because they may not be used to going on the offensive, but it doesn't make that much of a difference.

It feels like ROB and Pit are very similar, only that ROB is better in the majority of aspects and that Pit has to use the few advantages he has and hope for a victory.

Its in ROB's favour.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit fires arrows faster than R.O.B can Fair, approaching normally is the best
option.

I think the matchup is in Pit's favor. Even at worst.
For quote 1: ROB's F-air rate actually is slightly quicker than the speed Pit can shoot his arrows. I Alted ROB once before and should know that. It's a similar rate to Marth F-airs, probably less gay though.

For Quote 2: While I wish the best for Pit, his problem with approaching those with longer range with him puts him down very much. Our aerials are outranged, ground attacks are outranged, and are somewhere evenly matched in speed.
Our only true advantage here is outcamping, but even that doesn't do that much.
Sometimes to me, in this matchup, I think that Pit playing the defensive is the best offensive.

Something that many didnt mention is that ROB is kinda big, a good target for Pit and his arrows and SH N-airs if you can get in his face, but dont try to chaingrab this guy.
Some people assume that Pit has the advantage over ROB only because ROB is a big target, but size isnt everything.

Our side normally would put 50-50 even at best here. Unfortunately, this leans towards the favor of the Robot, BARELY perhaps 45-55 ROB, but at least he isnt no gay Metaknight.

Coffee™

I need it....
For quote 1: ROB's F-air rate actually is slightly quicker than the speed Pit can shoot his arrows. I Alted ROB once before and should know that. It's a similar rate to Marth F-airs, probably less gay though.
Neither Marth nor ROB can approach just with Fair and expect to never get hit. Neither should you just stand there shooting arrows expecting to rack up damage, that's obviously not going to work. ROB's Fair's hitbox is disjointed yes, but it does not cover his entire body, so that alone should tell you he can't simply approach you using Fair and expect not to get hit.

For Quote 2: While I wish the best for Pit, his problem with approaching those with longer range with him puts him down very much. Our aerials are outranged, ground attacks are outranged, and are somewhere evenly matched in speed.
ROB isn't the only character that outranges Pit. Quite a few characters outrange him, some that he even has advantageous matchups against. Pit being outranged also does not mean automatic disadvantage as your statement seems to imply.

Sometimes to me, in this matchup, I think that Pit playing the defensive is the best offensive.
This is Pit's best option against almost the entire cast.

Some people assume that Pit has the advantage over ROB only because ROB is a big target, but size isnt everything.
Noone's actually said this in this thread at least and tbh I kinda wonder a bit why people or Pit mains at least think that smaller characters cause immediate trouble for him. Sure they're smaller targets which make them a bit harder for him to hit with arrows but that becomes pretty insignificant once you learn to shoot arrows accurately.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
iunno i think pit can limit rob movements way too much for it to be 60:40 robs advantage.
in reality neither should be able to gimp each other

S.D

Smash Master
Multihit moves such as nair and uair are great weapons againt ROB and generally eat through his shield. Rnage is the biggest issue as ROB can just outspace you for the win. Pit has to be smart and edgeguard well with Wing Refresh and arrows.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
i still say dead even maebe oh so slightly towards pits favor
he has us on the ground
we beat him in the air
we outcamp him
we have a faster projectile
we can use his gyro agenst him expecially with glide tossing
he outranges us

SkyRay

Smash Cadet
You should create an "Archive" thread so people can find the match-up threads easily.
I'm pretty sure there was one in the toon link forums.f

Its not a big deal right now but once more of the characters have been discussed its going to be hard to find a specific one.

Just an idea, maybe you were already planning on it but I thought I would suggest it just in case.

Coffee™

I need it....
You should create an "Archive" thread so people can find the match-up threads easily.
I'm pretty sure there was one in the toon link forums.f

Its not a big deal right now but once more of the characters have been discussed its going to be hard to find a specific one.

Just an idea, maybe you were already planning on it but I thought I would suggest it just in case.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5995269#post5995269

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
i still say dead even maebe oh so slightly towards pits favor
he has us on the ground
we beat him in the air
we outcamp him
we have a faster projectile
we can use his gyro agenst him expecially with glide tossing
he outranges us
Pit definitely doesn't beat ROB in the air unless you get below him, and ROB beats Pit from below as well. I'd say 55-45 ROB in this for reasons already said, ROB's main concern will be getting around the arrow spam but he will have a much easier time killing and not getting gimped.

If the ROB was experienced in going on the offensive (most aren't) I'd say this could feel like a 60-40 because aggressive ROBs can be very effective in different ways from the spammy robs.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
I cant be arsed to address every quote, so i will just address some of the stuff that hasn't been addressed, and some that has.

1) A ROB who is proficient with his laser and gyro and who is familiar with the stage terrain and consequent angles, will be able to snipe you from most places on the stage during Wings of Icarus. I can't count the number of times a Pit has thought they were safe by using it under the lip of a ledge, only to get my laser angled down the stage and hit them. Forget going under the stage.

2) ROB should not be gimped in this matchup. Once is possibly acceptable. Fire arrows all you want. That just means we can f-air them while offstage and conserve our fuel. Firing rate is essentially irrelevant in this situation, bc the distance between Pit and ROB should negate the delay in aerial usage after the up+B cancel. If you bend the arrows below him, and maybe sometimes above him, it gets a bit frustrating, but smart airdodges, aerial mix-ups, and Up+B use will eventually get us back to the stage with a safe amount of fuel left.

3) Walking powershield negates most of your anti-approach arrows. Mix in F-airs with that, jabs (yes, jabs cancel the arrows), and f-tilts... we should be able to cross FD after taking 3-5 hits. With ROB's survivability (lack of true momentum cancelling aside) this isn't too bad.

4) Pit dies earlier than ROB, even without gimps.

5) Pit's reflector is useless unless the rob telegraphs it. The shield- SH and angle the laser down over the top of the shield. Glidetoss a gyro down, approach that way, and you guys eat a D-smash, as the fact that we get turned around during the bounce-off is negated by the fact the smash hits on both sides. Not to mention, if we space the distance properly, we will probably have pushed behind you. Angel ring: full hop, laser down.

6) Once we get close enough, walking F-tilt while at medium percents hits faster and is repeatable in the brief hitstun+startup animation of your arrows. Seriously, if we get in your face at mid percents, (try to) use your arrows. We want that.

7) Your best offensive strat is to get below us in an area between -45 degrees on either side of him (this includes directly below him).

My opinion:
55-45 (ROBS favor) if the ROB is decent on the offensive
55-45/60-40 (Pits favor) if the ROB is sub-par, or inept at being offensive
60-40 (ROBs Favor) if the ROB is comfortable on the offensive

These "percentages" are also heavily influenced by stage as well.

Ive probably missed a few things, but ive been drinking.

madival

Smash Cadet
I believe its 60:40 pits favor. If you play defensivly against rob, he really hasnt much to kill you. All you gotta watch for is getting off the ground because his Utilt (it Kills me alot) and some of his smashes will kill you fast, but he shouldnt be able to gimp you that much if ever. The thing about rob is that you have to stage control him. use moves that will clear him from the part of stage you're on compared to trying to get combos. make him dodge and roll, then smash him out of range. One of my friends I play regularly plays rob really well, but he cant seem to out camp me. He has two projectiles, but if your paying attention at range you can reflect both and if he tries to advance, gimp him with arrows. Our multiple hitting attacks will rack up tons of damage, but I wouldnt rely on that. Overall, I wouldn't give R.O.B. advantage. The match would be slow and tedious, but I wouldnt give it to R.O.B.
My opinion is 60:40 pit's favor

KY_Des

Smash Ace
Upsmash? Lol you shouldn't ever be above ROB. The only moves you should be killed by from ROB are bair and nair. Don't run into those and you're good. Fsmash is easy to DI and if you die from ROB's dsmash you probably suck at this game haha.

ROB has a massive blind spot. If you stay under him, there isn't much he can do. The only thing ROB has is the fact that he doesn't die easy so it'll take sum work to kill him.

madival

Smash Cadet
I hear alot of people saying that R.O.B.s Fair will cancel out pits arrows. Why not simple shoot around the hit box? I do it all the time against a short hoping falco. It shouldbe easier against R.O.B.

KY_Des

Smash Ace
lol that statement cracks me up in matchup discussions. If a ROB player honestly thinks he can fair every single arrow I shoot, fine by me. Let the camp begin XD

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
lol that statement cracks me up in matchup discussions. If a ROB player honestly thinks he can fair every single arrow I shoot, fine by me. Let the camp begin XD
Exactly. If all we're going to do is f-air, then sure, bend the arrows and it will hit us below or above the hitbox. Hence, why I said:

3) Walking powershield negates most of your anti-approach arrows. Mix in F-airs with that, jabs (yes, jabs cancel the arrows), and f-tilts, (justadded) And SHADing into a shield... we should be able to cross FD after taking 3-5 hits. With ROB's survivability (lack of true momentum cancelling aside) this isn't too bad.
I don't plan on F-airing every single one of your arrows. And, to think that any competant ROB would depend JUST on F-airs, cracks me up

Off-Topic: I felt like doing a lot of formatting for this post.

Top Bottom