• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit+ - A Guide to Brawl's Kid Icarus Angel *WIP* [Lastest Update: June 12]

dabridge

Smash Journeyman
P i t +

Latest update: June 12, 2009

June 12, 2009: Added approaches, and notes about ATs Also fixed some stuff about recovery.
April 20, 2009: Updated info about wingdashing, edited other stuff to make more sense.
April 16, 2009: First release.

Note: I am, in no way, a Pit expert. I do play with him a lot with friends in Brawl+, and occasionally take my Wii to school to play with people, but I'm not much of a competitive player (there aren't many tourneys around here). I have beaten a few competitive players before, but I'm still no pro. If you find anything wrong with this topic, please point it out so I can fix it.

1) Pit's performace in Brawl+
Brawl+, to put it simply, has given a lot of characters an equal stance with high tiers. Mainly the changed physics alone put everyone in a great position to combo - Pit is no exception. Pit's moveset wasn't changed, but the new physics gave him better approaches, higher chances for combos, and more killing options, making him a lot more balanced than he used to be. Pit's camping game has now been turned into a pressuring game because of the new lagless aerials, and also more of a gimping character, because of his multiple jumps/double WoI.

In vBrawl, Pit was a fun character to play because of his fun AT's, like wingdashing, arrow looping, and the like. Brawl+'s speedier gameplay makes the usage of these AT's harder, but not useless.

2) Combo ability
Pit's excellent throws put opponents in an great position to combo (for the exception, maybe, for back throw).

• Down Throw: While not dealing too much damage on it's own, down throw is perfect for a follow up with many moves. Starting from 0%, you can easily F-smash your opponent to give a nice amount of damage right away.
  • Foward Throw: On a lot of characters, there is a small chainthrow starting from 0%, mostly the limit being two, because of the new physics. That said, this is a great move to follow up with, let's say, an arrow, or a glide attack if the opponent is off the stage (perfect for a kill).
  • Up Throw: I usually follow this up with an arrow up or an up-air. With the new hitstun, this can lead into more complicated combos. (upthrow -> up-air -> fair -> arrow, as a example at the top of my head)
  • Back Throw: Throws the opponent too far back imo. Sometimes useful with low percentages. Could be used for spacing, and can be followed by a quick arrow.

Other noticable combo starters:
  • Down Tilt: Good combo starter. It's fast, not too much lag, and sends an enemy flying upward, not high enough to be out of reach, but in a perfect position for up-air or an arrow, or even fair.
  • Up Tilt: A great combo starter in vBrawl, Up Tilt has not changed much, and is still probably one of the best moves to start a combo with, if not the best. Easy to land, and almost always seems to put the opponent right over you.
  • More to be added later...

Dark Sonic said:
I find that Pit's side B is even better against big characters than before and in general thanks to shieldstun and hitstun. Oddly enough, if you manage to hit them with the startup hit of the move and only the last few hits (rather than the whole move) you can actually combo from it. You can follow it up with d-tilt or f-smash or even a grab.
3) Recovery
In vBrawl, Pit was considered to have the best recovery in the game, due to the four jumps he has, a glide, and the Wings of Icarus. In Brawl+, his gravity increased slightly, but it doesn't affect his recovery much, somewhat. Because of the ledge not being magnetic anymore, Pit suffers when coming back from the stage with WoI if used from far, especially if recovering from below. WoI snaps to the ledge if used from up close, and also snaps when pressing down while in it (this is why it's hard to recover from below).

A code was made for Pit to use multiple jumps, even after being hit, by using the remaining of his timer for WoI. This code has been around for a long time, and it hasn't made it into the Brawlplussery, so don't expect it to make it soon, if at all.
Code:
[COLOR="Yellow"]Multiuse Icarus Wings[/COLOR] [Phantom Wings]
80000000 80623320
80000001 00000000
60000006 00000000
60000003 00000001
4A001000 00000000
4A101001 00000000
30000000 00000017
58010000 00000004
DE000000 80008180
58010000 00000060
DE000000 80008180
58010000 00000070
58010000 00000020
58010000 0000001C
90010002 00000004
86410002 20000000
80100001 00000008
62000000 00000001
E200000F 00000000
80000001 00000000
80100000 00000244
62000000 00000000
E0000000 80008000

[COLOR="Yellow"]Multiuse Icarus Wings[/COLOR] [Phantom Wings] [COLOR="Purple"](compatible with double gct method)[/COLOR]
48000000 80B87C28
58010000 00000154
58010000 00000000
90010000 00000030
80000001 00000000
60000006 00000000
60000003 00000001
4A001000 00000000
4A101001 00000000
30000000 00000017
58010000 00000004
DE000000 80008180
58010000 00000060
DE000000 80008180
58010000 00000070
58010000 00000020
58010000 0000001C
90010002 00000004
86410002 20000000
80100001 00000008
62000000 00000001
E200000F 00000000
80000001 00000000
80100000 00000244
62000000 00000000
E0000000 80008000
4) Landing KOs
Depending on your playstyle, you may feel like Pit has either lost or gained kill moves. These are the ones that seem to work best for me:

• Foward Smash: It's hard to land sometimes with fast characters, but it doesn't seem like the first hitbox is DIable anymore, so it's more reliable in Brawl+ than it was in vBrawl. Medium range, decent speed.
  • Foward air: It was okay in vBrawl, but in Brawl+, the added hitstun makes it a lot more easier to push enemies off the stage. Can kill at high percentages, but it seems more like a gimping move.
  • Back air: With Brawl+'s speed increase, it's harder to land the sweetspot, but still pretty decent when landed. This usually gets followed from a Dthrow.
  • Glide Attack: Very powerful, just hard to land if you're not used to using it. Can be used to kill opponents off the stage if used carefully with WoI. I usually use it when getting back to the stage.
  • Ftilt: Slow startup, but can kill better than some other moves. Mostly situation in my opinion, but it's not to be ignored.

5) Approaching
Unfortunately, Pit doesn't have many long range attacks, or speedy aerials that can be used for approaching, and his dash attack has a lot of ending lag.

• Neutral air: Nair doesn't have landing lag if fastfall is not used. It doesn't have much priority, but with a lot of running momentum, it can be used against large/medium characters. Can be used for retreating if missed.
  • Foward air: It has decent speed, and can be followed up if hit. Also decent range, and priority. A good approach overall.
  • Side-B: Works best if used from a short-hop against large characters. Similar to nair, but a lot of ending lag. It usually pushes the enemy away, which makes the ending lag not much of a big deal, but if not landed, prepare to be punished.
  • Dash Attack: It seems faster in Brawl+ (though it's speed was probably not changed), but still pretty slow. Pretty decent when landed, but very predictable, and punishable. Use it with care.
  • Back air: Great if your opponent is at a high percentage. Surprisingly, it doesn't have much ending lag, but it's sweetspot is very small, making it not so useful on small characters.

6) Advanced Techniques
Needs more work than the rest
  • Wingdashing: Not gone in Brawl+. Due to the buffer being 10 at vBrawl's default, a lot of people are used to canceling WoI with Dair too early, and therefore it seems like it's gone, while it's anything but. It's just a different input window to get used to, try practicing at lower buffer to eventually reach a 0 buffer (if that's your goal, if not, stay at 10 buffer). Try using dair toward the very end of WoI. Take a note though, at 0 buffer, a mistake will lead to Pit staying in WoI, extremely punishable. A safe way to use wingdashing is as a ledgehog (without the dair canceling).

Dark Sonic said:
    Wing canceling changed however due to the lower buffer. But it's not that wing canceling was removed, but rather that people are used to using the attack for the wing cancel too early and having the game buffer it for them. The actual window for wing canceling is about 6-10 (I'll go test this some other time, but I noticed it worked well on 5 buffer) frames after you've done your up B. So it's just a new timing window to get used to. No biggie.
  • Arrow Looping: Harder to use with Brawl+'s speedier gameplay. It's more prefferably used from afar.

This guide is still a WIP. I will continue to update this guide later in the week.
What do the Pit players think? Any approaching techniques/combos/combo finishers you want to discuss?

Rudra

Smash Ace
On the matter of recovery, wasnt a code released that allows Pit to UpB more than once but still rely on the "timer" it has? Also, when recovering to the ledge, you have to get within ledgegrab range and then descend a little to make him grab it. The NASL makes UpBs unable to sweetspot going up, but doesnt do so going down I think.

I usually find gliding to be a better alternative to the WoI, but with that new Gliding Code (the one that makes you go into your helpless state after attacking/canceling it), its much more situational.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Rudra is right in every respect.

Now then, on to other cool Pit tricks. I find that Pit's side B is even better against big characters than before and in general thanks to shieldstun and hitstun. Oddly enough, if you manage to hit them with the startup hit of the move and only the last few hits (rather than the whole move) you can actually combo from it. You can follow it up with d-tilt or f-smash or even a grab.

Arrows have become so much more useful in edgeguarding since most characters fall slightly faster, and because of hitstun you can often link one arrow as the end of a combo to just push them that much further out before they even get the chance to try to recover.

With the new Pit up B code, I'm finding it a lot more useful for moving around on the stage. Going along with Pit's fast fall makes you able to get back to the ground SOOO fast to regain that positional advantage, and you can even use it to chase people in the air and off the stage without that dreaded fear of being super gimped. This also allows you to keep your jumps so you can glide back to the stage after you're done.

There are a couple of things that will still be a problem for Pit in certain matches though, but that applies to any balanced character. Pit quite frankly is not as mobile as some other characters due to his average ground speed, low height multijumps, and average airspeed. Couple that with his average range and you'll have a hard time getting around certain character's brick walls (Marth for example) and he doesn't exactly have a long range gtfo move.

BUT, this is where wing canceling comes in (and yes, you can do it on lower buffer, I'll explain later). Pit's blindspot is basically right after where his d-smash and f-smash can't reach, as those are his fastest ground moves and often serve as GTFO moves. However, most of the time characters hover right outside that range when trying to pressure you. Well, the wind push from wing canceling extends just far enough to reach there and push them out of their optimal range, forcing them to approach again and giving you a little breathing room. It's certainly not the best option, but it is still useful.

Wing canceling changed however due to the lower buffer. But it's not that wing canceling was removed, but rather that people are used to using the attack for the wing cancel too early and having the game buffer it for them. The actual window for wing canceling is about 6-10 (I'll go test this some other time, but I noticed it worked well on 5 buffer) frames after you've done your up B. So it's just a new timing window to get used to. No biggie.

Well, that's my continuation of the Pit guide. I too am not exactly a pro Pit player, as he is merely my secondary. I do go to tournaments frequently and I would consider myself a good player in general, but my knowledge in Pit specifically is a little limited.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Just wanted to stop in and say this a great guide you got here. With the OPs and Dark Sonic's info I have a better grip of Pit then I did before. I have written you down as OP for our Pit guide. I always wanted to play Pit in vBrawl but the fact that I hated the game and his voice deterred me from ever trying him out.

dabridge

Smash Journeyman
It was very early in the morning when I made the guide, so I missed some obvious stuff, that's now added, as well as Dark Sonic's suggestions. Next on my list to do is to list good working combos.

Thanks for the input guys. =D

Edit: Dyslexia is a horrible thing.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Just wanted to stop in and say this a great guide you got here. With the OPs and Dark Sonic's info I have a better grip of Pit then I did before. I have written you down as OP for our Pit guide. I always wanted to play Pit in vBrawl but the fact that I hated the game and his voice deterred me from ever trying him out.
As soon as I saw that you could change sound effects, the first thing I thought of was changing Pit's voice. I just imagine him shouting like Falcon or Ganondorf... Oh god...

kupo15

Smash Hero
Wingdashing is not gone. I can do it fine on 2 buffer and was even able to do it at 0.

Pit has gotten much better and if the plussery ever adopts the tumble codes, it will help him out even more.

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
A few questions that have popped into my head, as I just started playing with Pit. He's a very interesting, flashy character that can be really annoying to play against from what I can see. Also, having one of the two best projectiles in the game is awesome, though the Mirror Shield has been mostly not so hot (I figure I've got to figure out how to use it effectively, looked over the thread just now...).

1) Pit has a two-option jab - either the three-slash, upward-sending one or the bow spin. I figure the former probably does more damage (opponent can DI/SDI out of spin quickly), but which is more often used in B+? Or is is usually jab cancel into...grab? Utilt? Fsmash (that thing is fast, but fast enough? Doubt it.)?

2) Looks like the WoI refresh code is in. Does that mean that if I use the Wings and attack I get the jumps and the Wings back (though timer is still active)?

3) Can Pit fair WoP with hitstun? bair sourspot? I know the sweetspot probably sends too far...

4) I've found Pit's sliding Usmash to be decently effective for combo purposes. Is there a way to land only the spike hitboxes, making it into a good spike? Momentum changes a lot of things...

Gonna try and get used to his ATs later, mainly arrow ones and perhaps wingdashing. Hm.

dabridge

Smash Journeyman
1) Pit has a two-option jab - either the three-slash, upward-sending one or the bow spin. I figure the former probably does more damage (opponent can DI/SDI out of spin quickly), but which is more often used in B+? Or is is usually jab cancel into...grab? Utilt? Fsmash (that thing is fast, but fast enough? Doubt it.)?
I normally use neutral A, as it's fast and able to cancel faster than side-b. It mostly depends on your playstyle, since side-b is more of an aerial approach for me.

2) Looks like the WoI refresh code is in. Does that mean that if I use the Wings and attack I get the jumps and the Wings back (though timer is still active)?
I'm not sure, as I haven't tried it yet. I'm thinking it just enables you to up-b again if you get hit when using WoI.

3) Can Pit fair WoP with hitstun? bair sourspot? I know the sweetspot probably sends too far...
I'm not sure what you're asking here...

4) I've found Pit's sliding Usmash to be decently effective for combo purposes. Is there a way to land only the spike hitboxes, making it into a good spike? Momentum changes a lot of things...
Haven't tried this yet, I will when I get back from school. To be honest I don't use u-smash too much because it's semi-hard to land, and like you said, it's kind of for combos more.

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
1) Agh, by spinning bow I don't mean Angel Ring. His A combo works in two ways - either do three slashes (forward forward up) or do two slashes and spin the bow around for his infinite jab. They're distinct. (Hold A for three, tap A and then hold after for the infinite.)

2) Fair wall of pain. He has 4 jumps, Wings, and a glide, so he could make it back from anywhere - can he hit with fair, DI towards and follow their DI, hit again, jump towards them and hit again, etc. until they're off the screen horizontally or too far to recover...maybe a midair Angel Ring would finish it actually. Hmm.

3) Midair angel ring offstage...actually seems like a decent possibility. I'll have to toy with it later - it doesn't send you into helpless fall, right? (Easy answer, but not at Wii atm)

Rudra

Smash Ace
As dabridge said, its quite situational as to how you or your opponent can act when using Pit's jab. For example, you can decide to only do 1 jab and cancel it into a grab/DTilt and set up for something like a Fair/Uair. However, your opponent can expect this and try to counterattack you with their fastest attack, or shield. There's also the idea of using 2 jabs and canceling them which could suprise your opponent expecting only one jab if you performed the second a little after the first to (hopefully) interrupt their next attack and then cancel into something or continue to the third hit or infinite.

As for the 3 hit jab combo, I'm...not sure what it can really be used for since I usually DTilt/Grab or infinite jab right after the second. I guess the third hit from it can catch your opponent expecting a jab cancel off guard, but the infinite's usually better imo as it does more damage and forces them off of you even moreso than the third hit of the jab combo. I havent tested Fsmashing and Utilting after the first or second jab, but I think that at higher percents, Fsmash can be workable as a mixup (and may nab a kill)

Jabgames, son. :p

I think it only affects Pit being attacked out of his WoI. If you want to attack while using WoI, it's probably best to use Wing Renewal.

Maybe at low percents after a Dtilt/Dthrow, but it wouldnt last very long if your opponent DIs/SDIs well. With a sourspot Bair, I'm not sure. It could be worth looking into.

I didnt know Pit's Usmash had a spiking hitbox. :psycho:
If that's the case, it's probably similar to that of Sonic's USmash "spike" in that it's highly dependant as to how the opponent DI's and their percentage or something(Dont quote me on that though. I dont know much about it myself).

Gonna try and get used to his ATs later, mainly arrow ones and perhaps wingdashing. Hm.
Good luck. :)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I think it only affects Pit being attacked out of his WoI. If you want to attack while using WoI, it's probably best to use Wing Renewal.
Nah it's both. What you're thinking about is the glide fix code. With that code you only get your up B back if you get hit, otherwise you go into helpless.

As far as Pit's up B, you basically get the Wing Renewal mechanic....without having to skim the ground first.

Maybe at low percents after a Dtilt/Dthrow, but it wouldnt last very long if your opponent DIs/SDIs well. With a sourspot Bair, I'm not sure. It could be worth looking into.
Yeah, Pit's WoP isn't that effective. Though using an arrow to chase them puts them in a bad position (they can AD the arrow, but then they'll have a harder time recovering)

I didnt know Pit's Usmash had a spiking hitbox. :psycho:
If that's the case, it's probably similar to that of Sonic's USmash "spike" in that it's highly dependant as to how the opponent DI's and their percentage or something(Dont quote me on that though. I dont know much about it myself).
Pretty much. The second hit is a really weak spike, who's only purpose is to link into the third hit. However, if you're sliding while doing it and the opponent DI's in the opposite direction, they avoid the third hit.

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
What I'm wondering is about an offstage Angel Ring, now that WoI is a more viable recovery. The wall of damage seems like it would be very effective out of hitstun (fair?) and could push people far, since you move down and...slightly forward? Probably not effective, but it seems fun to me. Knowing my luck, though, it's auto-suicide due to not being able to get out before you hit the bottom (like if you cancel ROB's sideB too late).

Ediiiiit: The third jab (A A A, non-infinite) sends them into the air, like Charizard's. Combo starter, perhaps? Who knows.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Was fsmash not changed at all? it's only drawback in vBrawl was that you had to save it, but now there's no decay... Combo into the fastest fsmash in the game with no decay ftw?

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
No, it's pretty much just amazing. Easily one of his best kill moves. Pit, unfortunately, doesn't combo all that well (I think a perfectly spaced Angel Ring might work, though), so an easy combo into fsmash isn't the likeliest thing ever.

Been playing Pit+ a lot lately, actually. I do wish he had a spike, though. Both his ground and airgames are massively annoying to the opponent, and his arrows are still some of the best projectiles in the game. But he does seem to need some combo testing - I mean, I can land stuff out of dtilt and utilt, dthrow, uthrow, and fthrow, etc. at low percents, but at mid-percent and more you don't get too much., though his fsmash and ftilt kill well enough that it's not always necessary, and he's great at most ranges. Any thoughts?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I think uair and dair could use an overall lag reduction (both windown and ending lag), as they currently aren't that good. I don't know, Pit's just not that good of a combo character.

He's solid overall though. Un projectile campable (long range use mirror shield, close range use side B), a solid recovery, good edgeguarding, decent range, and quick kill moves. He's not really amazing at anything, but he's not that bad in any area either.

dabridge

Smash Journeyman
I hope you guys are joking... Pit is AMAZING at combos. I would upload some of my own, but I'm unfortunately on dialup, so no-can-do (I'll make a combo list soon). U-air is pretty good as-is, but I'm not too sure of d-air. It would be nice to have it as a spike, but let's not dicuss that, I don't want this topic locked.

U-air is a pretty good kill move in the air if landed correctly, now that I think about it.

As for a combo that can be finished with f-smash, I can't think of one on the top of my head, 'cept maybe for f-throw -> f-smash from 0%, but that's not very useful.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I hope you guys are joking... Pit is AMAZING at combos.
Not when your opponent can smash DI <.< And a lot of Pit's combos can be stopped early by DIing away from him (he doesn't exactly have the speed to chase you), so you just eat a single hit and an arrow. If you happen to land a good combo starter like d-tilt you can chain more hits (making creative use of unsweetspotted revese bairs and stuff), but still, he's not AMAZING at it.

dabridge

Smash Journeyman
That's true, I've yet to play someone with good DI. I guess I overreacted. >_< Hopefully I'll get to play some good competitive players today, so I can update the OP.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Been playing Pit+ a lot lately, actually. I do wish he had a spike, though.
Dair ftw. I wish. If anything, I think we should either make his dtilt spike last longer or make the whole thing a spike. That would help buff his combo game a lot
Not when your opponent can smash DI <.< And a lot of Pit's combos can be stopped early by DIing away from him (he doesn't exactly have the speed to chase you), so you just eat a single hit and an arrow. If you happen to land a good combo starter like d-tilt you can chain more hits (making creative use of unsweetspotted revese bairs and stuff), but still, he's not AMAZING at it.
Agreed. Not amazing.

GirugaMarc

Smash Apprentice
B+ Pit makes me cry a little

He's one of the characters the turned out worse than his is in vbrawl.

Easier to clip WoI, everyone else can combo and he can't. Sad, sad stuff

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
Hm, I'm still not completely sure how to play him. He can't combo too well, but he's got a great ranged game and a few good kill moves. Still trying out a playstyle - how have you guys met with the most success? Perhaps his movement speed in the air is a bit slow for him...hmm...dunno.

Also, newest changes: all of dtilt meteors now. This is interesting.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Also, newest changes: all of dtilt meteors now. This is interesting.
That should really help out hit combo game since dtilt is very useful on stage and it sets up for the bair nicely to edgeguard. And the range it great for edge guarding

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
Dunno. It is amazing though, because it's fast. Captain Falcon cries every time upB gets dtilted, but people with good recoveries don't care too much.

kupo15

Smash Hero
i think dtilt having such big range for a meteor hit is a little cheap when edgegaurding
I would have to agree. I think less kb and have the move pull them towards pit to help with ledge teching would be good to make it not so OP. The spike is a little too good given its speed

rinoH

Smash Lord
im so used to the brawl dtilt spike and B+ makes it too easy. It would be great if it had less kb and pulled them towards the stage.

rinoH

Smash Lord
imo they should change it the Pit's up-b sweetspots easier and a trade off would be to minimize the range of Pit's ditilt spike or make Pit's up-b like 4 sec longer or so

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
What I'm thinking is this:
Perhaps it should meteor on both hitboxes, with the closer one (sweetspot) being the full-strength one and the further one (sourspot) being a weaker meteor? That way it's not as good at intercepting recoveries but still great for his combo game (a meteor on a standing opponent is usually great for combo setup).

rinoH

Smash Lord
bump so wee need more talk about Pit guys i think hes great and especially dangerous with his dtilt
his nair has been nerfed because of the new grav so i recommend using fair more also his Up-B sucks cuz of no auto sweets spot ledges

dabridge

Smash Journeyman
Well, I do think the dtilt meteor was an unneccesary buff, or at least, not the buff I was looking for. I would trade the dtilt buff for auto-sweetspotting up-b anyday. But this isn't about changes we would like to see, don't get this locked.

I need help listing valid approaches and mindgames maybe, anyone?

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
eh i really dont think pit is all that great in brawl+ he proabbly would be exactly the same in a tier list if they ever make one for brawl+ he has gotten a few good buffs but i really dont like him in brawl+

hes still fun in vbrawl tho

dabridge

Smash Journeyman
Finally updated. The reason for the no updates was because I was too busy using Marth/Falco (they're just amazing now xD).

Still needs a lot of help.

eisley

Smash Cadet
something needs to be done about his recovery, no autosnap hurt him a lot and now basically trying to recovery from below against a decent player= gimp. Maybe make his WoI faster but last just as long or use the multi WoI code. Dunno, something!

Top Bottom