• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pinkie Pie Presents: Rainbow Dash Dance and Revolution by Denti - DFW

MimicMew

Smash Apprentice
I think the problem with this is that we're not trying to improve the Dallas scene, we're trying to start it. It's not like we have a pool of potential players that are getting competitive, we have like 1 actually competitive player (Sethlon), 3-4 players getting to the competitive level (you, Thoraxe, Denthorn), 3-4 players with potential (myself, B91, a lot of the Plano players), and like 6 or so scrubs interested in the game. Of these people, how many would you even consider active?

Dallas isn't weak because of our stage list. Whenever we have fests, we almost never turn those stages on. We're weak because out community as a whole is weak and we have a limited pool of active players and not enough people interested in competitive Melee. If we want to recruit players, we need to keep the game fun for potential players, which, in part, will include the jankier stages.

An experienced player like Sethlon can play on any stage because he has had the experience playing on those stages, not just because of his solid fundamentals. It's like playing the ICs - you could have amazing tech and mindgames, but if you don't understand that there are two characters and that dynamic, you will lose. Just like any of the stages. If you don't know when Squirtle will pop up after a round on Floats or that you could tech the ceiling at the end of the cycle on RC (lol Sung :p). If we are talking purely about experience, then there is no reason at all to take these stages off the list since it will serve only to limit experience.

Oh, new rule - Jigglypuff is gay, I'm banning her from tourney too.
I think between Dallas players, the stage list should be based on what we practiced on (individually and at fests). Many players actually practice and they want to test their skills against other good players. That's kinda the reason I said any of this. But otherwise, we can, and should, do what we discussed last night. Contrary to what it may seem, I do have respect for you as a TO. So, I'll be willing to try out the "fun" stage list...assuming MUTE CITY is legal! <3

Tyranny

Smash Cadet
I think between Dallas players, the stage list should be based on what we practiced on (individually and at fests).[/URL]
Exactly. Who the **** plays Brinstar/Kongo/RC for fun... We don't play them in friendlies, we don't play them at smashfests, and we certainly shouldn't play them at tournament level. I'm confused as to how leaving these stages in rotation 'adds to the fun of new players'. Although if the majority thinks they should be left in, i don't mind being beaten on a janky *** stage, I'll always have my Ganon Johns <3

Kal

Smash Champion
Ugh, I have so many problems with what Tyranny said. Still, most of the community is scrubbily heading towards playing on the six starter stages only, so you won't lose out (in terms of preparation) by following suit.

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
I just went through a bunch of tourney threads and I see a majority continuing use of the official MBR ruleset and allowing RC, PS, KJ64 and Brinstar as counterpicks, both nationally and especially in Texas. If we look at our community as a state, I haven't seen a tourney that doesn't include all four.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I can probably make this unless school does something stupid. Definitely interested. Dallas/Plano-area tournaments are pretty convenient for OK. We definitely need to get KOS-MOS to go.

:phone:

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
Rice's last day of classes is on the 20th so I should be able to make this. I'll start trying to get a Houston carpool going.

D

Deleted member

So uhh, am I like the only one who's really even hyped for this? I cant wait to play melee. Probably only entering singles though, as no one would really take me as a partner last time and I got a person who didnt know how to even wavedash or L cancel. xD

DualCats

Smash Ace
I'm pretty hyped. I haven't been to a tourney since I barfed away all my pools matches and barely made bracket wherein I immediately lost to Kage.

I'm also seriously considering going all G&W this tourney.
fun fact: this is a bad idea

D

Deleted member

Kind of hyped. Been practicing my sammy/falco. Maybe I'll actually win a set or two.

I honestly hope we end up playing in bracket, cause you would barely play friendlies. oh and if you dont have Ryan or w/e his name was, Ill play doubles. better than your friend with luigi from last time >>

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Hazy doesn't want a scrub like me as teammate. :(
Everybody call Kos-Mos and get his *** down here with us.

also, how bout that low tier tourny?

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Zelda ftw

im somewhat of a Zelda Prodigy. the avg Zelda loses 3 outa 4 matches

as a prodigy i only lose 2 outa ever 4 matches :awesome:

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
no love for hazy :(
i'll come anyway. is austin coming? i miss him :o
i need a teammate.
<3

AustinRC is more or less retired now, I believe hes been saying that his next austin tournament will be his last.

Everybody call Kos-Mos and get his *** down here with us.

also, how bout that low tier tourny?
I barrage him with texts and late night voice mails

There has been talk of having a melee low tier side event, with me not being able to use Roy (to be fair to everyone else).

ruok

Smash Rookie
Lolz @ PinkieCake. =) She's a sweetheart. Oh so yeah, who lived around Garland again cuz I have Shiek/Zelda and they're both Top Tier from where I come from. =)

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
UPDATE: Due to the high amount of interest from OK, Austin and Houston, singles entry fee has been increased to $10.

:3

D

Deleted member

More people yay. At least i know how much money i need. Planning on at least winning a singles tourney set. Not entetring doubles tho :/

MT_

Smash Ace
Will be accepting all $2 MMs against my Marth at this. Oklahoma I am looking at you. I want to MM every single one of you lol. For the OK players I will go up to $5!! =D

And sup Hazygoose! Thanks for housing me like a year ago in OK lol.

D

Deleted member

IDK if i mentioned it here, but im going to bring a capture card (Record matches) so... yay.

DualCats

Smash Ace
IDK if i mentioned it here, but im going to bring a capture card (Record matches) so... yay.
if these are going to be uploaded to a youtube channel, can you give us a link?

(I'm going to bring one also, btw. I can't remember if I've brought that up in this thread.)

Top Bottom