• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
But in Brawl's SSE Mode, you can see all of them coming from their respective adventures. It really makes it look like they're actually the "characters themselves".
...what. I only saw Pit coming from "his adventure." Most of the characters in the story were just kinda...there.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Samus was going through a base in which she ran into Ridley. Pikachu was just kinda there; that I admit. Link was pulling out the Master Sword. Yoshi was just kinda there. I guess Nintendo was just trying to interlink all the different universes, but they were definitely there. Pit's "adventure" was actually probably the least expansive and definite of all of them. Pit falling from the sky was the equivalent of Lucario finding Snake in a box. It didn't really show him doing anything big from his games.

D

Deleted member

At least Lucario finding Snake in a box brought in the aura sight from the anime. :awesome:

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
SatAM 80's commercial

Samus was going through a base in which she ran into Ridley. Pikachu was just kinda there; that I admit.
Oh no! Pikachu has been caught by some bad turkeys!
Samus, you must deactivate the trap!
Watch out Samus!
*Samus in under attack by ROBs but Pikachu uses thunder and ****s up the ROBs attacking Samus*
Samus and Pikachu must esacpe from the evil laboratory before it's too late!
Oh no it's Ridley
*Stuff blows up*
Yeah we made it!
*Two drunk 19 year olds hi-5.*

SSE Evil Lab playset comes with the stuff seen here. Samus sold separately.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
For the most part people in the Sm4sh subforums know nothing. They're just like Jon Snow.
I knoooow. But my Auto-chu knows whats up so I had to say something. <3

Better then the old set up though, where all of this was just clustered into one big thread.

On topic, I personally think pikachu is awesome the way he is currently. He'd be a really well designed character if fox and a few other characters weren't so vulnerable to chaingrabs and dumb combo's.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
GD? :ohwell:

Well, here's to assuming that CG's aren't so prominent in Smash 4. Fox got messed up by them in both Melee AND Brawl. XD

Edit: Btw, seeing as how Smash 4 will be compatible with both the 3DS and the WiiU, I think there's actually a good chance that Smash 4 will be more '3D' kinda like FF Dissidia. I wouldn't mind if this is what happened. However, I wonder how chars' moves would work...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
^ A supporter of my idea? :awesome:

A couple of days ago I accidently QAC'd btw.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't main Pikachu, therefore, I'm pretty awesome I think.

Tbh, I couldn't do it a second time so... :rolleyes:

:phone:

Shirekeldeo7

Smash Cadet
I really don't care for pikachu that much. but at least change some moves like give him electro ball for a side B or Iron tail and instead of volt tackle for a final smash why not evolving into Raichu or use a thunder attack that spreads all over the stage causing a shocking explosion

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I really don't care for pikachu that much. but at least change some moves like give him electro ball for a side B or Iron tail and instead of volt tackle for a final smash why not evolving into Raichu or use a thunder attack that spreads all over the stage causing a shocking explosion
Having Pikachu evolve is a bad idea for a final smash seeing as you can't turn back to pikachu if he does.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Well then you could play as Raichu for the rest of the match, just as how Samus turns into ZSS and stays as her until she grabs another Smash Ball. Along those lines, Nintendo could bring in Raichu as another character. It would be just like how Melee had Pichu and Pika in the same game except it would be Pika and Raichu. Then give Raichu his own FS. I think that would be pretty cool and it would continue Smash's trend of adding Gen I reps (Pika and Jiggs for 64, Mewtwo for Melee, PT for Brawl).

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Well then you could play as Raichu for the rest of the match, just as how Samus turns into ZSS and stays as her until she grabs another Smash Ball. Along those lines, Nintendo could bring in Raichu as another character. It would be just like how Melee had Pichu and Pika in the same game except it would be Pika and Raichu. Then give Raichu his own FS. I think that would be pretty cool and it would continue Smash's trend of adding Gen I reps (Pika and Jiggs for 64, Mewtwo for Melee, PT for Brawl).
But unlike Samus you wouldn't be able to willingly back because you can't evolve backwards. Imagine playing a 12 stock match with smash balls. You'd probably play as Raichu almost 4x as much as Pikachu if you got a smash ball. I would much rather Raichu be another newcomer than be apart of Pikachu.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not just Raichu, I feel that would be a disservice to poor Pichu. Anyone read my idea in the Pichu thread?

Pikachu could be coupled by BOTH Pichu and Raichu as a Pokemon Trainer-like character, but instead of switching, you evolve by gaining 'experience' as Pichu (aka, make the first kill) and as Pikachu you must touch the Thunder Stone (which others could grab as an item and throw away if they wanted) which would randomly get dropped on the stage (for balance issues, it would drop sooner if you lose a stock than if your leading as Raichu would be significantly stronger).

I imagine Raichu would play a lot like Smash 64's Pikachu, which is why I support the idea. As said before in the Pichu thread, Pikachu himself could also be picked as a standalone character (means, starting as Pika, and no Thunder Stone will be dropped) by selecting only Pikachu on the screen (similary to Zelda/Sheik in Brawl and the Pokemon Trainer's starter). This would reduce the risk for those wanting to play more safe (people unfamiliar with Pikachu for example). Picking Pichu however would take a player with a lot of skill, and is especially rewarding once they lay their hands on Raichu.

Will do movesets (with some changes to Pichu and Pikachu) if someone's interessted?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
That seems like an interesting idea. A Pokemon that evolves as it gain experience in-game. Sounds a lot like Frank West in UMvC3. If all three 'Pika' pokes have virtually the same moves with just changes in power and tweaks in animation, then it would work wonderfully. Pichu could just be Melee Pichu, even with the whole mechanic where he hurts himself. Once you fight through that and gain experience, you turn into Pika with his Melee/Brawl moveset tweaked for Smash 4. Finally, after some stellar performance, he evolves into Raichu who has mostly the same moves but faster and stronger. I really like this idea, and yeah, make Pika selectable by himself for anyone who wants it.

As for gaining experience, it would be kinda hard to implement that in a fighting game while keeping it reasonable or balanced, but I 've just thought of something that I think will work:
Pichu/Pika gain experience (XP) as they deal damage. After gaining, say, 300 XP, they evolve. However, here's the catch. Initial XP gaining is slow, but as the poke's own damage increases, so does his rate of experience gain. He'll have a multiplier that increases directly in relation to his damage which will affect how much experience is being gained as damage is being dealt. This works perfectly with Pichu's innate self-damaging mechanic because his previous 'handicap' now also gives him access to built-in faster experience gaining (as long as one can survive as Pichu). Since Pika doesn't damage himself, it will automatically become more difficult for Pika to evolve into Raichu than it was for Pichu to evolve into Pika. Naturally, once evolved, you stay that way, even after losing a stock. You earned it.

Here's an examplary case of how this system could work. Pichu and Pika each need 300 XP to evolve. At first (at 0%), the ratio of XP gained (from a single attack):damage given (from said attack and not in %) is 1:1. However, the multiplier for XP gained would be the percentage of damage on Pichu/Pika and the formula for XP gained would be:
XP Gained = Damage given without % + (Damage on self in % x Damage given without %)
e.g. If Pichu's usmash does 10% damage in a certain situation, then it would give Pichu 10 XP in that situation if it hit (not shielded or missed) when Pichu is at 0%, but if Pichu is at 100% in that situation, then he would gain 20 XP instead (assuming the usmash still does 10%).

As you can see, Pichu naturally raises his own XP multiplier and this would give Pichu an incentive to use his self-damaging electric moves. Of course, all of these numbers I stated could be tweaked for balance and feasibility, and naturally, XP would carry over between stocks. I really think this could work. :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Doing about 300% with Pichu is a bit much though, and thinking the standard matches will in between 3~5 stocks normally, that'd put picking the Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu combo a disadvantage of sorts. That's why I said that Pichu should evolve when he is the one first taking a stock, as in the games Pichu evolves through 'happiness'.

Though your idea would work very well to. Thanks for receiving this well, it's about the first serious reply I get from it.

And yes, Raichu should be made intentionally stronger than Pikachu to make this work to. I'd want Raichu to resemble N64 Pikachu though, meaning having his uber overpowered F Air, F Throw, N Air, B Air and F Smash for example. Also, he needs Brawl Pikachu's Down Smash I think. :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Exactly. Besides, Pichu was also playable as a character before. This could add to debt of the playstyle.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Hey guys, let's add a new mechanic to Mario where he starts as Baby Mario, then after you KO someone without dying once, he grows up to be Mario, then if he finds a Megavitamin item, he grows to Dr. Mario!

That is good idea that doesn't take away from Mario whatsoever! :troll:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I don't see why you have to be trolling us when we're simply making sincere proposals. :glare: What's wrong with suggesting new mechanics for a new Smash game? Brawl gave Mario FLUDD over his old tornado, and I personally think that was one of the dumbest things Sakurai could have ever done to him.

Qlaw

Smash Cadet
I take it that you missed the whole "also, you can choose pika by himself".

Also, it'd work in the sense the same way lucario works, cept with evolutions.

D

Deleted member

I don't see why you have to be trolling us when we're simply making sincere proposals. :glare: What's wrong with suggesting new mechanics for a new Smash game? Brawl gave Mario FLUDD over his old tornado, and I personally think that was one of the dumbest things Sakurai could have ever done to him.
Then why are you supporting a dumb idea as making Pikachu have an evolution system?
I don't care if you can choose Pika by himself, it adds two characters within development for Pokemon that are unnecessary.
Adding Pichu as an alternate selection to Pika would be pushing it, but still acceptable. But adding both Pichu AND Raichu is too much unless other Pokemon are cut in the process.

Orange Fox

Smash Cadet
QAC is fun and I love doing it even on wifi when it likes to troll you

Now for the evolution idea for sm4sh sounds interesting but more like other games. It may be incorporated but they would need t make it make sense. I have digimon rumble arena 4 for Gamecube, a game similar to super smash bros. As you fight players drop these orbs as they get hit. That fills up your bar to evolve into the next digimon. Cool aspect but kinda weird.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
What the heck does that even mean?

Then why are you supporting a dumb idea as making Pikachu have an evolution system?
I don't care if you can choose Pika by himself, it adds two characters within development for Pokemon that are unnecessary.
Adding Pichu as an alternate selection to Pika would be pushing it, but still acceptable. But adding both Pichu AND Raichu is too much unless other Pokemon are cut in the process.
You act like Smash isn't a series completely based around introducing new and revolutionary mechanics, which it is in every sense. Smash introduced a new genre of 'fighting game'. It's so different that most people aren't even willing to call it a fighting game, and every game, it introduces something crazy that many would have not thought possible and some people would have even thought completely unreasonable or illogical, and some of the stuff in Smash IS illogical. For the record, Samus changing into ZSS is practically the same thing as that evolution idea I just proposed.

Mewtwo and Pichu were cut so we could add in PT, even though PT is basically just a Pokemon version of Sheilda with more ultimate dependency on transforming, making him even worse. The fatigue mechanic wasn't needed and it probably took so much space in the game and time for development. I personally think it's pretty stupid and each character would have done better as a standalone, P:M style. Nevertheless, it was added as a new 'Smash concept' for everyone to get used to. My Pikachu evo idea couldn't possibly be worse than that. All I'm getting from you is that you probably just have a personal preference against this.

Some people might like a Pika evo system and that's all that matters. Not everyone likes how PT, or ZSS, or Oli were added into Brawl, but that doesn't matter. The fact that some people like them is enough. Besides, I definitely know that a bunch of people were upset at Pichu's loss and have cried out for Pichu's return. This would give a logical reason to bring him back and would even add some extra on the side.

I don't even see what the problem would be. The character wouldn't even change, outside of extremely minor tweaks, and he'd just be buffed as the game progressed. Pretty much the only thing that would really change would be the appearance of the character, not the gameplay.

D

Deleted member

Samus turning into ZSS is incomparable, as unlike the Raichu idea, she can change back. People would be stuck with Raichu, a Pokemon hardly anyone cares about and is heavily overshadowed by Pikachu, for the rest of the match.
That's a disservice to everyone but a select few that actually likes Raichu over Pikachu.
AND a disservice to Pikachu mains, who pretty much have to learn Raichu instead since getting a Final Smash means no more Pikachu.
Samus mains at the bare minimum had to learn enough about ZSS to not suck as her until they got another Final Smash. And even if they DID suck as her, well, there's always the Pity Final Smash...

And THIS...
Mewtwo and Pichu were cut so we could add in PT
...is a load of crap. Pichu was cut early on to be replaced by Plusle and Minun, and THEY didn't make it early on either, for reasons unknown (either because Lucario took their place or because their planned system for tag-team didn't work out just like Dixie as Diddy's partner didn't).
Mewtwo was scrapped for time issues, being one of the last characters to be worked on before the plug had to be pulled on character development.

As for "being better off standalone", without PT, Squirtle and Ivysaur would definitely have not been included (Ivysaur especially), and Charizard, while having more of a chance than those two, would have likely not been included either.
And unlike your idea, it's not drastically changing an established Smash character to the point that the original character is just a gateway for some newer nobody, while PT was new to begin with.

As for you "knowing a bunch of people upset at Pichu's loss", they are a weak minority when compared to the likes of people upset over Mewtwo and Roy.

And you don't really understand what is being changed. Raichu is more than just a different appearance, which I don't think you comprehend. Raichu is larger. Raichu is heavier. For balance, Raichu would be SLOWER to accompany being stronger. Even if moves are the cloned, it would still be different gameplay, which is something you clearly don't understand. There's a reason why the clones in Melee are not the same tier as their counterparts.

As for another point, an evolution system would be better off for a new Pokemon character, not butchering an established character by adding an unpopular tag-along that it doesn't need.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hey guys, let's add a new mechanic to Mario where he starts as Baby Mario, then after you KO someone without dying once, he grows up to be Mario, then if he finds a Megavitamin item, he grows to Dr. Mario!

That is good idea that doesn't take away from Mario whatsoever! :troll:
You just mad. :smirk:

D

Deleted member

Nope. I just find the concept to be as dumb as replacing Sheik with Impa.

Top Bottom