• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Doubles Discussion.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Teaming with DDD on small stages is annoying with Pikachu.

I kept footstooling off his head and getting him killed. ;-;

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Me and my brother have won some doubles tourney with double pika....

In my honest opinion, if both the pikachu's are good (I am good... my brother is okay-good) then you only win with a gimpfest--pretty much. It's either a hit or miss at least with our experiences. The big thing that you have against you are heavy hitters and those that can reflect and absorb thunder (since the main kill option for pika's in this team is thunder gimp. Any combo with G&W is going to be a real bummer for the team. You need to be able to solo any single one of your opponents and beat them (so that means if any of the pika's are lacking in skill, the opponents will pick that one off the most and the other will play a hostage scenario).

Strengths:
--If your opponents can't DI d-smash (rare now... but you may get lucky ^_^), this team is 95% ownage almost all the time.
--Synergy can ONLY happen if pikachu's are both mains or both near "MAIN-skill-level."
--IF you set up right, 3-4 team combo thunders in a row will kill ANYONE from 0% damage.... IF YOU SETUP PERFECTLY (we could do this alot against most of the newb to mid-level team players.... forget landing this reliably against PR'ers... unless they main DK ^_^).

Weakness:
--Non-main-wannabe-pika-just-for-the-team-combo's will almost always get whooped... as tempting as double pika are... you both have to be REAL good or both mains.
--High-ceiling stages will whoop you... experience-wise, its a lot harder for both pika's to setup kill finishes... just trust me on this one....
--marth and G&W combo.... = you lose (if both pika's cannot kill marth AND g&W individually 1v1 80% of the time).

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
**** y'all be talkin dubz while I'm out on vacation, lol.

OK I've thought about this for a while just never really brought it up since the thread was moderately active up to the Luc discussion. Should we change the discussion format or should we vote on a character to discuss instead? I feel that if more people agree on a character to be studied the discussion can be more efficient since we will have more peeps in here throwin ideas in and sharing their experiences with a given team. I'm aware that dubz doesnt have the same relevance as singles so this thread wouldnt get as much activity as the regular MU discussions but we can still easily pump in more input for this thread.

Also I would like to have a record of your doubles results (like the tournament results thread) if any of you enter doubles.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Should we change the discussion format or should we vote on a character to discuss instead?
Maybe we should turn this into general doubles discussion or something..... x.x

I feel like there aren't enough Pikas period -- much less Pikas who consistently do doubles with a variety of partners -- for us to do this character-by-character.

Personally, the only characters I have experience teaming with at this point are:

Lots of Peach
G&W
Ness
Snake
ROB
A little DDD

And that's only in friendlies.

Just a suggestion. I think this thread can be helpful, but this format isn't resulting in much activity.
Didn't feel like typing it all over again.

I'm teaming with TUSM for Pound 4, so hopefully I'll have more insight after that. (I'll be going mostly Zelda, though.)

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Kloz is quick. Well then uh... Pikachu Doubles G/D is now open or relaunched I guess.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I got nothin to do for the next hour, so SWF it is. ;-;

Anyways, it was just a suggestion, but going along with random discussion (like gallax's recent post that kicked off the planking thing) seems to be working out fine.

I have some friendly doubles replays that I'll try to get recorded soon.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
lol yeah I have nothing to do as well until later.

I read the previous pages and the sponateous discussion seems to be more effective than what we had primarily because its not as restricted as X or Y character with Pikachu in doubles. Most people are familiar with things like planking and camping for example and without the restriction of a specific character/subject/theme random ideas for doubles can be thrown in there and anyone can jump in.

Anyways the point of changing the format is to have more activity and stuff.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
IF you REALLY want more activity... i'd start something with 'rating' actual doubles videos--that's something that few other character boards have done. Since we pika's have long since been at the forefront of guides/AT's/activity/Q&A in regards to character info, this may just be a fun and educational and new thing we could do. As people have said, doubles are not so nearly as meticulous about theory, strategy, and competitiveness as singles are in tourney; why not just run with that general agreement--have a team combo video vote or rating thing ^_^. That way, the overall theme of doubles is organized around entertainment (maybe like an american Idol type kind of feeling) and people could still learn or just watch in reverent awe of whatever silliness that happens.

Sort of like....

1) Post Video
2) Original posters post what were on their minds (commentary ^_^)
3) Voters.... CAST YOUR VOTES NOW! Text 13358 SMASH now! (j/k about the texting).

neji32

Smash Lord
I heard CcSpeC is a pretty good partner. And pikachu is what i call a "leader" pokemon character on brawl. Like meta knight btw. Just get a partner thats a pesent like rob and let them stand back as you take 2 on 1. and when you need help he will help with lasers and other forms of shanegains.

you use this strategy and you win trust me. me and spec do it all the time

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I fare pretty well in 2v1 situations but that's because Pikachu has the tools to do that. With Kirby i'm kind of ****ed since Kirby relies on carefully punishing stupid stuff and that's hard most of the time when you get rushed down by two MKs.

DDD, Wario and Lucario can laso be good "followers" for Pikachu as well imo. Nice reliable KO moves and the ability to tank stocks make them good for that type pf game plan. ROB is good too but I dont have any experience teaming with ROB mains.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Let's start pulling in some FOOTAGE of these teams in action ^_^. It'll give something to talk about as well as fresh ideas for those who are more new to the competitive scene.

neji32

Smash Lord
i once was on RC 2v1 against a rob and kirby and one of them had 2 lives with 1. the 2 life guy was pretty much dead and i fsmashed him. then i ended up winning by ****** the other two and finishing them with a donkey punch......

i once was on RC 2v1 against a rob and kirby and one of them had 2 lives with 1. the 2 life guy was pretty much dead and i fsmashed him. then i ended up winning by ****** the other two and finishing them with a thunder.

no but seriously, pika is usually good with anyone. just give him some space

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I do not like Pika + Diddy at all. :mad: Can't kill, and I HATE BANANAS.

I do, however, really like Pika + ZSS when my partner isn't killing and/or paralyzing me. The team works surprisingly well.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
FlamewaveK is probably uploading ourdoubles matches against Futile+Race from WGF sometime soon. I think he only saved the first match and the third match. I have only one match from the Jmex+Doppelganger set.

I really liked the Luc+Chu team. The power up lucario gets in doubles is amazing at times. The KO/combo potential is also really good. As far as team chemistry went we worked toghether pretty well after adjusting to our play styles and the team mechanics.

We actually got a Pika Fthrow - high%Aura Sphere - Nair - Luc Dair in a match. IDK if its one of the recorded matches.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Ideas for Pika + Snake please. <3

ESAM, iirc, you said you knew a good bit about this team?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Well yeah, I team with MVD, a snake from Florida. This team is pretty beast. Both characters are good damage rackers and they can contribute to killing too. Snake's U-tilt to thunder is amazing and almost always catches people off guard since they have to momentum cancel the u-tilt to survive. Grenades can be a pain if you aren't paying super close attention. It makes the team annoying sometimes.

I'll have vids of this team later this week. I can't really explain most of it, but you can watch it later.

Urban Menace

Smash Journeyman
lol I have an Idea for a Pikachu Snake Team...I noticed you can transfer c4 with QA so if you QA through someone enough it should transfer. I mean its really situational most likely but would be pretty cool. What do you guys think?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
lol I have an Idea for a Pikachu Snake Team...I noticed you can transfer c4 with QA so if you QA through someone enough it should transfer. I mean its really situational most likely but would be pretty cool. What do you guys think?
We do that all the time in 2v1 situations. We have only teamed twice so we don't exactly have many team combos, we basically just know where the other person wants us/the other people. Don't try transferring C4s if pikachu is at high %s, its not worth it.

A SAFE thing in 2v1 is to double camp on the ground. Snake behind pikachu and both of you just spam. Snake lobs grenades over you (SH hard throw if he wants) and you just T-jolt. Its good and its extremely safe.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Meh. In theory it's good.... we camp and rack damage well, DK is heavy + strong as **** and can kill really early.

But I played this team last night, and in practise it takes more teamwork than it's worth, imo. DK will get double teamed in most cases, and Pika's not very well equipped to help him out without giving him extra damage.

Heavy + strong partners are good, but only if they can 1v2 to some degree..... DK can't do this very well. He just gets overwhelmed. Snake, Wario, and even DDD are much better choices.

Maybe it was an issue with chemistry, but I don't see Pika + DK being that great.

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
I recently just started teaming with a guy named tudios, he mains a bunch of characters (marth, sonic, ike, zelda, maybe others i forgot) and out of ALL of them, we seem to do best with the pikachu/zelda team. zelda is an AMAZING support character. Din's fire is great if your being double teamed, just to screw everyone up, and almost every single one of her moves hits the opponents up, = early thunder kill. which is always fun. Further more, in 2v1s, if you can get the opponent offstage, zelda just stands there and continuously dins fires them, while pika goes offstage and ***** the person. We gave a MK 60+ damage just TRYING to get back on stage, and at one point we did an epic combo where her dins fire comboed into my dair which hit him off stage, killing him at like 80%. Overall it was a great team. We doubled at tp4, but i played like ****. But really give this team some thought, because it is really good imo. The only problem is if zelda is left by herself, because she has major problems in 1v1. Although my partner pulled some things out of his ***, and made some amazing come backs.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Meh.... I haven't tried this team in a long time, but when I did play it, the fundamental problem with Pika + Zelda is that they're both support characters. Didn't work out so well, but maybe you've discovered the secret!

The Din's wall of fire is very classic Zelda in doubles, but the way the strategy usually works is that her partner is supposed to be a wall that keeps both opponents to one side (so they can't get to her to stop her camp)..... and Pikachu isn't exactly a wall, lol.

Without either of them being able to camp safely, neither can stock tank that well, and both are light. If both opponents roll on Zelda, you have a problem; if they split the team apart, you have a problem. I guess I can see it working, but it'd have to be played very carefully.

Btw, that MK should have nado'd back. It goes straight through Din's, and I'm sure he could've found a way to nado through Pika. x.o

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Pika Snake team!
The first match wasn't recorded (We won it) so it starts on their CP. NR and Shaky are the best team in Florida, they consistently beat every other team in the state.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC9NcWA-sLs

Another example of Pika + Snake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cmUdxs582o

My team partner MVD isn't the best snake, but he is still pretty **** good. I am telling him to stop doing things and it takes a while, we have only teamed twice (This tournament was the 2nd time, the 1st was winterfest where we took 7th). Hooray for good team!

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
I like the snake pika team too. except if the snake uses too many nades. plus c4s tend to hate me>.<

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You can keep track of the nades and your partner shouldn't be too ******** with C4s.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
The problem wasn't he exploded them when he wanted. they exploded after 25 seconds and always seemed to hit me and only me >.<

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I love teaming with Snake because..... he does all the hardcore work while Pika jumps around doing the good ol' hit + run. It's fun.

What do you guys think about Pika + Lucario? I might try it at a few crew practices, but at first glance, it doesn't seem to be the best team..... ><

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
pika lucario is not that good of a team. i have tried it. We have tried the anubis strat too (i think i may have spelled it wrong, its where a char planks and lucario gets aura). Maybe im a terrible planker, we have tried the non anubis strat too. didnt work out too well.

I'm still sticking to pika/zelda being a great pika team.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
From my experience, I think Lucario+Pika is an amazing team. Pika can be a really good stock tank despite him being really light. Just let Lucario do all the fighting while Pika runs around avoiding attacks and making quick safe hits every now and then. When Pika's damage gets too high, just start planking and jolting from the edge when it's safe. When it becomes 2v1, you pretty much won the match. Both players can just pretty much spam their projectiles forcing the other player to approach. This is especially effective on platform stages like BF. Just have Pika sit on a platform and shoot jolts down at the ground while Lucario will be under Pika shooting AS's. This creates an extremely annoying wave of projectiles that forces the other player to get on the platforms.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
K Prime's explanation of projectile spam works with a lot more characters than just lucario, the wall of spam is always a good idea when you're in the lead or just don't want to approach. Even in doubles on stages like ps1 when in a position like rock formation where pika can spam jolts it's worth it to make their approach stiff and more uncordinated while your partner is ready to do anything at any time. seems like it could be especially good with the lucario doubles strategy though.

Top Bottom