• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu: A discussion

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Uhh, I do better against sheiks than I do against Fox. What gives? When fox is thrown off the edge at low damages, what do I do? Say I pop him up with something near the edge of the stage, and I can follow with a quick ground attack or an aerial, what do I do?

What about when I hit a fast-faller with the strong part of the dair, then that funny weak part at the end, qu'est-ce que j'aurais faire? And with floaties?

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
you do better against sheiks huh? sheiks scare the living hell out of me =p.

uh when you throw him off at low percentages, try and predict what he'll do...if he starts firefox he'll either go for a sweetspot or over you, try standing at the edge and using a downward angled ftilt to stop him from sweetspotting, and if he goes over you, try and predict where he'll land...and of course, if he's doing firefox near the stage, it's a perfect tailspike opportunity. if he does phantasm, you could block it with the nair or ftilt if he tries to go through you.

on second thought...when you throw fox offstage at low percentages, offstage edgeguards are really effective so you should be really aggressive with your edgeguard: like anther said, edgeguard like you know they won't get back(sorry anther, it's just a great piece of advice =D). try and hit him with a nair or uair before he can get a firefox or phantasm off.

Anther

Smash Champion
It's cause Sheik is ezy, fox = hard.
Dair is the best edgeguard tool for when you just want to block a large area from fox/falco's return that their forward-b or up-b won't go through very often. It can a lot of times set them up for a better edgeguard if they're in an awkward position that doesn't make itself into an easy edgeguard attempt.
Also, toasty showed me an interesting (and hilarious) backthrow/f-throw to side-b edgeguard... that actually kinda works for fox/falco's that jump as soon as they're off the stage. Works a bit better against falco than fox since fox in my opinion has an easier time killing you if you're forced onto the stage when it misses =p.
Toasty does it at about 2:25 in this vid.

And whenever you pop one of the spacies up near the edge, what you do depends a lot on your position. I'd prefer to catch them and then throw them off the ledge, but if they're too high.. tailspiking or dairing them off the stage is good so that you can try to edgeguard them.

Dunno, it also just really helps to know when a good f-smash will hit them when they're off the stage as opposed to jumping out there and potentionally putting yourself in a bad position. And when you fsmash... always expect the tech x_x.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Edgeguarding space animals at low percent is really fun, that's where the gimps come into place.

Alright is basically about positioning, if they are trying to recover above the stage. You can easily tailspike them and edgehog.

If they are at equal levels to the stage, you have a few options.

Best option would be to grab the edge and prefer for a reverse tailspike.

2nd option is wait for them to use their forward b, or up b and hit them with Pika's ftilt or fsmash. If you hit them with ftilt, be prepared to hit them again with a fsmash since they will drop under the stage a bit.

If you hit with fsmash the first time, just either keep doing it (if it's fox), or grab the edge and set up for a tailspike. If it's Falco, just grab the edge and he's pretty much did.

And if they somehow get back onto the stage, they will usually be close enough to you so that you can just do an uair to flick them off the stage again, and there you get another chance to edgeguard.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Okay, fair enough.

When I'm fsmash edgeguarding them, they... always tech. Am I doing it too early?

And when I ledgehop->dair they always go towards the stage. I know this obviously means I'm doing it too late, but the thing is if I do it any earlier, they can tell I'm going to do it and will avoid it.

Also, wtf how do I edgeguard marth? Lightshield? I just try to ledgehop nairs, or scare them by jumping off with uairs. If they're at an awkward position, I fsmash. I run out and nair them. That's like my signature move.

And btw, how does running off and dairing compare to running off and nairing? =D

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
i love edgeguarding marths(not as much as i do spacies) =D. though, once again, it's pretty dependent on the position. if they're under the stage, try jolt sniping, it's got good enough knockback to screw it up for them sometimes. also, if they're going for the sweetspot, ledgehog and ledgehop a nair like right under the edge. if you time it right, you'll hit them(sometimes trade hits) and usually they won't make it back. if they're sort of above, i'd just stay on the stage and predict where they'll land. try a reverse uair spike in that case

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
eh..it depends, i think...dair's a little slow so it's harder to time as well as somewhat easy to see coming. nair is a pretty much "use-anytime" kinda move. though dair would definately decrease the chances of making it back with its knockback.

firexemblemxpryde: i like pikachu too =D

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord

Also, wtf how do I edgeguard marth? Lightshield? I just try to ledgehop nairs, or scare them by jumping off with uairs. If they're at an awkward position, I fsmash. I run out and nair them. That's like my signature move.

And btw, how does running off and dairing compare to running off and nairing? =D
Marths recovery can be easily Jolt-gimped.
And most Aerials are good. Dair and Nair especially helps.
He is U-air spikable aswell.

Scissors Sir

Smash Ace
if i read the pound results correctly, I would just like to take this time to congratulate Anther for making it into the singles brackets at Pound 3.

shows he got tied for 25th

it might not be the best place to have as far as the brackets are concerned, but making it that far is pretty good.

You did go all pika right anther....?

Anther

Smash Champion
Hells yeah =]. Thanks =D.
I went crazy especially round 3 of pools, did a bunch of stuff I didn't even know I could do cause I figured I wouldn't make it after round 2.

I Pika/Falco'd round 1, Pika/IC'd round 2, and went all Pika round 3, and look how much better I did in that pool lol. x.x.

Def went 0-2 in the brackets though.
Me and Doll both played super defensive both matches, and some random point when 6 minutes passed and we both had 3 stocks left.. it seemed like a good idea to rush him, it didn't work >.>.

me and shaeden made it to teams brackets too! ... 0-2'd there too >.>.
Falco / Pika > all teams especially Single IC

I made the yellow rat proud.

N64

Smash Champion
So I played Chudat's pika at Final Smash (aka BFWNY4) a couple weeks ago, and my opinion on it has changed. His pika's really freakin good, and seems a lot more innovative than the times I saw it at VLS and earlier. He did a couple combos that surprised me throughout the tourney. Also he tilts more now! I love tilts! But yeah, Chu's pika is scary now.

I also got to play anther this past weekend at pound3. He did a lot better than me in tourney heh. We went even in dittos, but lols dittos only prove who's better at dittos. Atm his pika is probably more solid than mine, along with being like 10x funner to watch. Ggs man, keep it up.

Man, pika owns. I should start like playing him more often again.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
So I played Chudat's pika at Final Smash (aka BFWNY4) a couple weeks ago, and my opinion on it has changed. His pika's really freakin good, and seems a lot more innovative than the times I saw it at VLS and earlier. He did a couple combos that surprised me throughout the tourney. Also he tilts more now! I love tilts! But yeah, Chu's pika is scary now.

I also got to play anther this past weekend at pound3. He did a lot better than me in tourney heh. We went even in dittos, but lols dittos only prove who's better at dittos. Atm his pika is probably more solid than mine, along with being like 10x funner to watch. Ggs man, keep it up.

Man, pika owns. I should start like playing him more often again.
pro tip: brawl

N64

Smash Champion
So the things that owned me most in brawl happened in this order (and probably equally owned me):

Melee - Brawl
Dash dance - Dash, stand, get hit
Wavedash - Dash, jump, airdodge, get hit
Jump cancel grab - Dash, usmash, get grabbed
Light shield - Stand there and get hit

my pika habits owned me.
but it is true, light shielding is amaaaaazing

Top Bottom