• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
JNig? Lol. We don't have any chaingrabs against him, and ESAM will have to tell us if there are any grab releases or not. My advice is to watch Gunner's sets against JNig. He used pikaslide>Fsmash many times to catch him off guard and land a hit. But you have more experience in the MU (that is even FYI) since you've played the best smasher in our state (minus the inactive lee Martin) more than I have. Pika also has a glitch where he can chaingrab Wario infinatly; it's on ESAM's channel, and I can't embed a link since I'm on mobile. But it sound like you did better against him at open world than at smashcon so that has to mean something right? That's all I have to offer :/ but you got to tell me more about how open world went!

Ever heard of SDI?

I end up having to play him in every tournament I go to lol, it's not fair! Yeah I saw ESAM get the chaingrab on Rainbow Cruise at the edge of the platform on the ship.

At Open World first round I played some guy who went Lucas, beat him, then he switched to Fox (LOL) and chained him to 100% every life. Then second round I had to play Jnig and he two stocked me both games (first game I got him to 144% and couldn't get him to his last life!). Due to the ******** bracket that they made they only let the people who lost in the first round drop into the loser bracket, so if you won your first match and then lost in the second round you were out of the tournament. I feel that I would have gotten second pretty easily if there was a proper loser bracket, the only person there that could beat me was Jnig, but it's whatever. :/

Angiance

Smash Lord
Pikachu can CG Wario on the edge of moving platforms, ESAM rolls backwards, towards the edge, putting Pikachu at the perfect point needed for the CG; the CG goes to about 100%, maybe higher. It'd be nice to practice with y'all :3

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It's not moving platforms, it's THIN platforms. You get a CG until like 120% or so.

For the general MU, SH/FH fair is amazing since it is slightly disjointed and it beats everything but bair (You should be weaving with these fairs to make sure your spacing doesn't get predictable. Pivot grabbing is amazing and it catches his overcommitting, and it deals a lot of damage.

You have NO guaranteed Grab Release since Pikachu doesn't force an air release. However, if he does air release you get U-smash, nair, footstool...pretty much everything but F/D-smash/d-tilt.

Edgeguarding wario is pretty easy as Pikachu. If you uair him as he is jumping off his bike/on his bike he pretty much dies. It's fairly simple to get him in those situations with T-jolt and putting you rbody in front of him. As Bell overgeneralizes, thunder is not good for edgeguarding wario, ESPECIALLY considering he has the 2nd fastest aerial mobility in the game so he can just airdodge through it easily.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Oh I don't know, I just know at least Yoshi is faster. Specifics like that don't really matter as long as you know "***** is really fast"

MXXD123

Smash Journeyman
I actually tested the edge slip on meta knight, and here's what I found on Meta Knight:
Full hop neutral air>edge slip>footstool is a legit combo and can lead into a qac reset at low percents, like 0-5% (footstool is situational and optional)
Initial hitbox of dair causes edgeslip till 13%
delayed hitbox of dair edgeslips into the 30's iirc
delayed nair hitbox also does edgeslip into the 30-40% range

Also been looking into creative qac ledge cancels on battlefield, I ended up with some really cool stuff and my movement on the stage has improved A LOT

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
@Holden I love it too when someone is like,"maaaaan I can beat you at smash bros!" "Ok, who do you play?" And I they say Fox, Shiek, Falco, wolf, CF, or anyone with a CG I laugh my ass off and humor them. But yeah I heard that the open world people have like no connection to the smash scene and Gabe Lewis was undefeated until JNig wrecked his shop. Maaaan we need to hang out again dude lol! But back to Wario; Gunner just told me he would post his input on here soon. Also, you play JNig EVERY tournament y'all go to?! JNig is just so ridiculously good. The fact that he is able to keep up with Lee Martin is unreal.

@Angiance (I'm calling you Angiance because that sounds much more cool than bell) http://youtu.be/1w3CdcDA08c also when and where is this dance?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
There is a nine move "Stale move queue" that gets filled up with moves as you use them. Once you start using certain moves, others will get pushed out of the queue in the back half of it, so holding jab quickly fills up the entire queue with jab so all your other moves are fresh.

Angiance

Smash Lord
@ESAM: Yeah, Air speed doesn't matter, because Pikachu dominates the air anyways *shrugs* | @MXXD123: I actually feel like BF is Chu's best stage, just because of the platform pressure/control Chu has, as well as the QA variability. ESAM actually glitched through BF's ledge, at SKTAR; it'd be nice to learn consistancy with that. I actually glitched through FD's ledge, and popped around the center once-Pikachu using game sharks all day. | @FourStar: No techno? How 'bout trance? | @Ramsaur: The dance is already over, sorry bro. Angiance? Aw, I like the name Bell~, oh wellz-it cool ^ - ^;

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
Air speed matters A LOT, if you ever play a good Wario (best player in LA is a Wario) he moves around so damn fast just with short hops. You can't really say it doesn't matter when you've never played a good player who mains someone with incredibly high aerial speed.

And you can scar through the stage on many different levels. I know I've done it on FD, BF, SV, Yoshis, PS1, etc.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Double posted on accident, that post was for PGD, oh well. | @Fiya: Pikachu's aerials are (as you know) swift, and control the air; Wario can move fast in the air, but with Pika's air control, you have an idea of where Wario is going to be, limiting his options.

@anyone: Is an F-Tilt (downwards) good for countering opponents trying to SH-Aerial at you from below-platform?

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
I feel F-tilt is a pretty underused move overall. It's applications are pretty specific, but it really shines in certain areas.
You can use up-angled for next level anti-air and to net quick 150%+ kill. It's good for clashes with certain projectiles too.
If your opponent has bad OOS options (ZSS comes to mind as someone it works well against) you can AD behind and just wait for a shield drop, and use it on reaction. Frame 5 is really fast, but the cooldown is super long so you have to be sure you'll hit with it.
Pika's tilt game is just godlike honestly.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
@Holden Yeah you surprised me when you scarred the ledge in one of your many dittos at smashcon. Btw, you think my MK can still 2 stock you? [insert troll face] Yeah Wario jumps around a LOT! Just look at someone like reflex lol. Or False and NAKAT at SKTAR.

@Angiance Did you even look up JNig?

@ESAM Thanks for explaining stale moves

@Gunner That's good stuff. I've been using Ftilt a lot lately and getting some good use out of it.

Angiance

Smash Lord
@Gunner: All of the things you wrote about F-Tilt, I've already had in my Quick Tips thread, actually xP something you may not know, is D-Throw > F-Tilt (upwards) knocks them behind Chu, with no DI. | @Ramsaur: I've already seen alot of fast Wario's, plus, I'm restricted to cricket phone internet, which means no media, unfortunately T^T

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Sorry if this sounds blut, but I don't care. We're talking about a specific wario,you should still look him up. And if it's Pika related, Gunner knows it. He's the second best in our state, best pika in our state, and the Pika besides ESAM that me and Holden look up to. I also look up to Kprime.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Ramsaur, I can't view vids, dude; how am I supposed to look him up? Understandably, Gunner knows alot about Pikachu, but alot of the things he stated, I already knew; my question, was regarding if a downwards angled F-Tilt could counter opponents attempting to SH an attack at Pikachu, as he's on a platform.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
It would still be common curtsey to look up the Wario we're discussing instead of just being like,"Yeah, I'm so good I think I knew what I'm doing sir." It makes you sound like a know it all when you're just like "yeah I don't need to, I'm good"

NETOmx

Smash Apprentice
Oh I don't know, I just know at least Yoshi is faster. Specifics like that don't really matter as long as you know "***** is really fast"
wooow that is the reason you are the best pikachu in the world. How did you discover that?

So...if I jab one time to the opponent, how many moves are going to refresh? 1 move, right?

Angiance

Smash Lord
It would still be common curtsey to look up the Wario we're discussing instead of just being like,"Yeah, I'm so good I think I knew what I'm doing sir." It makes you sound like a know it all when you're just like "yeah I don't need to, I'm good"
I just don't don't feel like watching (could'nt anyways) Wario...

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Bell, you don't have to respond to every single post related towards you, btw, especially in a dead-end argument.

Also, you don't KNOW a lot of things, you think certain things work in your head but they might not necessarily work since you don't have any experience with them in a tournament setting.

So yeah...

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I have a couple questions. First: Even though I main Pika I rarely fight other Pika players and in a ditto the other day I realized I have no idea how to properly DI out dsmash, can anyone help me with that?
Second: I'm having trouble getting the hang of auto-cancelling my short hop>aerials, can someone explain the proper way to do this?

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
random question on the marth match up whats the best way to punish/break through his Fair Zoneing. I hate that he can basically fair twice in Fsmash while approching him through this is painful. throwing jolts is kinda terrible for this cause his Fair gets rid of them and he can just keep approaching/stealing stage control from me. also is dancing blade SDIable and what way should you try SDi ing? the other thing about marth i find him sorta hard to punish out of grabs sometimes.

the other thing is marth against the ledge is brutal im guessing this is just a mix up thing though to get through it. i

one other question is about Metaknight is he worth trying to fight in the air and off stage?. i find if im under him i have a huge advantage i find challenging his Uair to be kinda rough when im over him . although Fast fall D/Nair on correct timing sometime work basically though if im above him should i just focus on landing. I find i have a bit of trouble with his Fair to I think im gonna try looking up more vids and looking how to break thorough his zoneing. in find being defensive against him to be kinda meh cause if hes aggressive he locks down way to many options and his approaches are insanely fast/good.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
random question on the marth match up whats the best way to punish/break through his Fair Zoneing. I hate that he can basically fair twice in Fsmash while approching him through this is painful. throwing jolts is kinda terrible for this cause his Fair gets rid of them and he can just keep approaching/stealing stage control from me. also is dancing blade SDIable and what way should you try SDi ing? the other thing about marth i find him sorta hard to punish out of grabs sometimes.

the other thing is marth against the ledge is brutal im guessing this is just a mix up thing though to get through it. i

one other question is about Metaknight is he worth trying to fight in the air and off stage?. i find if im under him i have a huge advantage i find challenging his Uair to be kinda rough when im over him . although Fast fall D/Nair on correct timing sometime work basically though if im above him should i just focus on landing. I find i have a bit of trouble with his Fair to I think im gonna try looking up more vids and looking how to break thorough his zoneing. in find being defensive against him to be kinda meh cause if hes aggressive he locks down way to many options and his approaches are insanely fast/good.
I'm no expert in the matchup because the only Marth I play with consistently is kind of a scrub, but in my experience the best way to deal with him is to try your best to establish a lead and then force him to approach, if you have to approach him do so slowly and defensively, and if you see an opportunity to punish I'd probably do it with something safe like any of your tilts, or short hop>fair.

Anyone with more experience, feel free to correct me if any of my info is bad.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Well, try shield-sliding into Marth's range, then OoS U-Air/D-Air and go offensive; with good timing, QAC under Marth > U-Air , then go offensive, or RAR U-Air and go offensive. Against MK, I like to go offstage when I see an opening for U-Air > N-Air, or just a lone N-Air, but I'm very offensive so...in most situations, it's better to just reach the ground, so as to re-establish stage control, but D-Air, slow-falled or fast falled, can still catch MKs off guard; Wave bounced Air Jolts counter MK's F-Air I think.

Top Bottom