• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

FlaminBuddha

Smash Rookie
iam new to smashboards and i saw a video of esam using up B then immediatly nairing after it. can anyone teach me how to do that. thank you.

Angiance

Smash Lord
When Pikachu preforms Quick Attack into the ground, it cancels; out of this cancel, Pikachu can jump (only his 2nd jump) into any aerial, or use any special

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Edgeguarding Lucario you just pressure the area around the ledge and stay in front and below him (diagonal). His fair won't hit and neither will his dair and you can uair him out. You can force him to fall where you want with thunder and T-jolt and YOLO Dair from above.
But doesn't thunder get beat by his Dair stall? The reason I'm asking this is because one of the guys in my area picked up a pretty gay Lucario that I just can't get the hang of, so I switch to MK or Marth when I play him. I just have so much trouble countering when he spams Dair against my Pikachu. Yeah I angle my shield up (that's kind of what we do here in LA, we just hold our shield up most of the time) and when he gets close I grab. But since he's so DANG floaty I can never follow up after a throw. And since Pikachu's shield is sooooooooooo freaking small, my shield just get's eaten up and I get poked when I try to shield grab Dair.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
so I switch to MK
You're doing just fine then :awesome:

Funny fact, I just uploaded some Pika-Lucario on my channel.
I'm not very familiar with this matchup so you may not find what you're looking for into it.
All I can say is so not try to shield grab his Dair. Try to not stay just below him and punish it with Uair.
Just like Peach don't try to combo Lucario really hard. Just hit him and reset. Also Pikachus Dair "cancel" his neutral B no matter how big it is.
I think this matchup is a pain in the ass for Pika.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Thunder's edge-guarding viability drops considerably at high level play. Pikachu's shield is small, but his OoS play is powerful; hitting Pikachu's shield is dangerous to the enemy. Lucario's D-Air on shield = SH/FH U-Air OoS. From Pikachu's grab: F-Throw or B-Throw; Pikachu D-Throw = Lucario D-Air to Pika.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
You're doing just fine then :awesome:
Yeah, that usually evens it up but have you seen Nairo vs Trela? Jeez, that match made the MU look even! I dunno, I'll take yall's advice, play him tonight and see how it goes. I mean, I always beat him lol, but it always goes down to last stock. I'm the best one in our crew but his new Lucario is just soooo gaaaay! I let stupid things happen like; he just rolls back, charges aura, spams C stick, if he feels pressured he'll roll around and spam small aura balls, and his idea of approach is Full hop Fair>DairDairDairDair. He fights like a total noob an that's what catches me off guard. I don't practice how to fight against noobs.

Pikant

Smash Rookie
Hello! I'm new to smashboards and competitive SSBB, and i was wondering which Pika techniques you guys reccomend learning/focusing on first.
I am already able to QAC and edgeguard pretty decently, but I feel like I still have much to learn in terms of new techniques/playstyles.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Hello! I'm new to smashboards and competitive SSBB, and i was wondering which Pika techniques you guys reccomend learning/focusing on first.
I am already able to QAC and edgeguard pretty decently, but I feel like I still have much to learn in terms of new techniques/playstyles.
Omg dat Pikachu picture @.@

Angiance

Smash Lord
@Ramsaur: F-Air > D-Air = one of Lucario's main strings | @Pikant: You can start with whatever you wish, it doesn't matter; B-Reverse = Flick the analog in the opposite direction Pikachu is facing, pressing B at the same time as the flick; Pikachu will instantly turn around and use a special.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
he just rolls back, charges aura, spams C stick, if he feels pressured he'll roll around and spam small aura balls, and his idea of approach is Full hop Fair>DairDairDairDair.
Don't try to punish his rolls (idk which one is super fast froll or broll) it's hard to do it consistently unless you're very on point. If he throws small aura balls when you're close just dair him and if you're not still dair and retreat.
If he spam fsmash just jump and press B or fair him, but don't try to combo out of falling fair on Lucario ( maybe unless it's low % but still).
This is all I can say.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
If you are getting hit by dair you are thundering wrong. Any time you are edgeguarding with thunder (or stalling for time) you should be B-reversing it off-stage. The only times i ever go out there to thunder is if I read an airdodge or I **** up.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Because we don't have enough space control when you hit anybody in the upper-away corner of the stage...there is no point in just sitting there until they get close.

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
I've had trouble with the olimar matchup. Does pikachu have any guaranteed followups on olimar out of D-throw?
My crewmate plays olimar, and kinda exaggerates the match up saying its hopeless. I haven't beaten him in a while. Maybe integrating the D-throw -> Nair/ D-throw F-smash mindgame might help.

MXXD123

Smash Journeyman
So I know IC's have ridiculous setups out of their nair on Battlefield, so I was wondering if Pikachu has any similar setups with nair or dair to maybe a qac or jab reset? Has anyone looked into that yet?

Angiance

Smash Lord
Edge-guarding is about speed and control; A-Jolt controls a Diagnol area, and gives Pikachu plenty of reaction time; the upper tip of U-Air controls the vertical area, making opponents react, and giving Pikachu plenty of reaction time; N-Air is, of course, what Pika is aiming to land during edge-guards, and the air control obviously helps him land it. | D-Throw chaining depends on the opponent's reactions, I think D-Throw > N-Air has the highest hit ratio, but D-Throw > F-Tilt (upwards) may work | Speaking of D-Throw > F-Tilt (upwards), F-Tilt in that scenario knocks them behind Pikachu, is this useful, anybody?

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
I didn't know about the F-tilt knocking them backwards. it works at a lower percent. I just checked, and if used near the edge it can put olimar off stage. yay edge guard. Kinda situational, but I didn't know that. I'm not the best edge guarder either so yes it was useful :)

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
So I know IC's have ridiculous setups out of their nair on Battlefield, so I was wondering if Pikachu has any similar setups with nair or dair to maybe a qac or jab reset? Has anyone looked into that yet?
Dair seems to work really well. I've been looking into it for a long time. Pikachu also has some tricks on platforms that are harder to punish then Dair.
SH Dair seems to work the best on battle field, but he has some tricks on smashville as well. I'll get a video of those :troll:.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You can dair for an edgeslip to jab lock for sure. However, doing it on the outside of the BF platform your opponent can hold away and fall off the stage.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I mean also it has to be at low enough % where they actually slip off the edge as opposed to getting hit above the platform, which is really from like 0-15 or some crap like that...

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
How do we approach the Wario MU? I just find myself n-airing and u-airing OoS the entire match because it's the only thing I feel safe doing against his crazy air game.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
When pikachu is chaingrabbing metaknight, what move should meteknight try to do to punish pikachu if he mistimes the grab?

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
I mean also it has to be at low enough % where they actually slip off the edge as opposed to getting hit above the platform, which is really from like 0-15 or some crap like that...
I made a new thread about jabbing on smashville. Platform cancel onto the platform and jab if they are near the edge. I thought that only a single jab would work, but rapid jab till they are at the very edge of the platform. If they rolled to the edge of that platform or are very close we can single jab and slip off. it's very easy and it surprises people. Once they slip we've got locks and stuff lol
Plus I just tested it on kirby at around 60-70 percent...

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
How do we approach the Wario MU? I just find myself n-airing and u-airing OoS the entire match because it's the only thing I feel safe doing against his crazy air game.
JNig? Lol. We don't have any chaingrabs against him, and ESAM will have to tell us if there are any grab releases or not. My advice is to watch Gunner's sets against JNig. He used pikaslide>Fsmash many times to catch him off guard and land a hit. But you have more experience in the MU (that is even FYI) since you've played the best smasher in our state (minus the inactive lee Martin) more than I have. Pika also has a glitch where he can chaingrab Wario infinatly; it's on ESAM's channel, and I can't embed a link since I'm on mobile. But it sound like you did better against him at open world than at smashcon so that has to mean something right? That's all I have to offer :/ but you got to tell me more about how open world went!

I made a new thread about jabbing on smashville. Platform cancel onto the platform and jab if they are near the edge. I thought that only a single jab would work, but rapid jab till they are at the very edge of the platform. If they rolled to the edge of that platform or are very close we can single jab and slip off. it's very easy and it surprises people. Once they slip we've got locks and stuff lol
Plus I just tested it on kirby at around 60-70 percent...
Ever heard of SDI?

Angiance

Smash Lord
@Fiya: Against Wario, SH U-Air is (like usual), beautiful for fencing, or baiting, which is done by U-Airing at the peak of a SH, then FFing for the auto cancel, allowing Chu to be able to go into say, a U-Tilt to punish an opponent's reaction; SH D-Air is (like usual) one of Chu's best string starters; BPG away fron Wario can work; N-Air is (like usual) Pikachu's best KO option, but F-Tilt (upwards) at 150% is important to remember. I think tip spaced D-Tilt, out-right beats most his ground game. If Pikachu is applying pressure right, it'll make Wario afraid of being aerial, because Pika rules the air against many characters.

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
Ever heard of SDI?
Yes, but it catches people off guard, and even if they do sdi, you're refreshing your moves with rapid jab. Plus we still kill people by thunder, and that's not guaranteed.
Just because the lock is a possibility doesn't mean it's the only positive outcome. refreshing your moves will help lead to the kill. Plus you shouldn't get punished its free damage
Plus I was with people today,(who know about SDI) and they were getting caught by it.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
*Holden. Also, all that stuff sounds great but you do not know JNig. He's the best player in our state and will 3 stock you in the blink of an eye. Try watching some of his matches against the best pika we have in our state (gunner) and see what you think

@hoenn True true my friend, even if it doesn't work we still DO get a refresh #winwinsituation

Top Bottom