• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Angiance

Smash Lord
Cassio, dude...Smashville is like, the best stage in-game, because there is nowhere for the enemy to run (this, coming from a 75% offensive, close combat Pikachu named, Angiance Bell~)

FourStar

Smash Ace
Cassio, dude...Smashville is like, the best stage in-game, because there is nowhere for the enemy to run (this, coming from a 75% offensive, close combat Pikachu named, Angiance Bell~)
LOL if you would of seen the match you could of seen exactly what he means.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Some Pikachu are poor and restricted to cheap Cricket phone internet (no online media) unfortunately - _ - Question: Could U-Air at the peak of a SH (so that it hits on frame 3) string into U-Tilt if U-Air is FF'd into an auto cancel? Question #2: is a platform canceled boost pivot grab/dash U-Smash decent?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
If Pikachu's boost anything was decent we would be DACUSing.

SV is bad, don't like the stage...but Yoshi's and Lylat aren't fun either.

If you want to see Pikachu vs Ness, look up me vs Coney and me vs Shaky.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Pikachu slides like he hopped out of a tub of butter when he boost pivot grabs; he slides far- from the SV platform it could catch a grounded SL from the back, no?

[Corn]

Smash Ace
If Pikachu's boost anything was decent we would be DACUSing.

If you want to see Pikachu vs Ness, look up me vs Coney and me vs Shaky.

Saw a the Coney one previously, Shaky one is interesting.

Question, when you get hit by his Fair do you DI into it and just Nair him after? It appears you do that at low percents.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Yeah, Does Pika's pivot grab have a "hitbox" "behind" him when he turns? So Pikachu is facing
----->
Then he runs, and pivot grabs to the left <----
Does he have a grab hitbox thingy on his right, behind his body?
If so that would be pretty interesting because you could grab people with sliding, from behind.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
They have to end up in front of you, so in your illustration to the left.

@Bell: Pikachu doesn't actually slide that far, that's just his pivot grab../

Angiance

Smash Lord
The grab hit-box will always be in front of Chu, since he slides far, it can be done as the enemy SH's (strict timing) so Chu will go under them and net the grab from behind, or on a platform as they SH (again, strict timing) so Chu catches them from behind, it can also catch rolls and maybe spot-dodges. It'd be REALLY useful to know if you could catch MK's SL with a boost pivot grab given he's on the ground and Chu is on the platform.

Player -0

Smash Hero

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Yo ESAM! In your opinion who are the top 5 Pikachus in the world including yourself?

Also @Gunner @Holden: Hellooooo? Are you guys EVER going to post here again? I'm like the only Pika from our state that posts here!

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Last thing

I dont see very much mention of how different Pikachus ledge frames and such are. I am not sure if any other things like that exist. Does anyone know of, or know somewhere I could look up, the differences that Pikachu has in those things? As I generally play IC and the difference is very noticable.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Last thing

I dont see very much mention of how different Pikachus ledge frames and such are. I am not sure if any other things like that exist. Does anyone know of, or know somewhere I could look up, the differences that Pikachu has in those things? As I generally play IC and the difference is very noticable.
I think Pika gets off the ledge faster than other character but has less invincibility frames, someone correct me if I'm wrong and if I'm right praise me then someone specify? I think he wants frame data.
Edit: I think there might be something on this on the Pika Frame Database thingy, one sec.
FAF: 12 (for ledge attack, roll, or jump) / 14 (for ledge drop or climb)
Note: Pikachu must wait at least 30 frames after releasing the ledge before he can re-grab it
Ripped straight from http://www.smashboards.com/threads/...ch-thread-qa-frame-data-added-1-26-11.244279/

Cassio

Smash Master
I swear if you get really comfortable with the stage, Yoshis is great vs MK. One of his best stages. MK's offstage game gets super nerfed, which is funny cause I just saw a set between M2K and Nairo today that really exhibits this. He also cant make escapes from blocked nados and shuttle loops like he can on SV/BF. The super long platforms weakens his pressure since his sideways mobility isnt strong whereas its not as big a deal for pika. Jolt pressure is also outstanding, send a jolt along the top platform and then pressure from the bottom or reverse. You can do that on SV/BF too but YI is the best for it.

Lylat is neutralish, it does suck for Pika a little bit so I understand why people would think that but MK has to deal with it just as much.

SV doesnt suck or buff pika much so its understandable pikas wouldnt mind it, but it gives most everyone else a buff on recovery and edgeguarding so it doesnt work out in our favor.

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
Since we are on the subject of pivot grabbing, I have a question on retreating pivot grabs. I can't figure out how to control how far Pikachu slides when I want to do one. I usually get one of three outcomes: I slide really far (which is the one I want most of the time), I barely slide at all, or I end up rolling. How do you control how far you slide?

Player -0

Smash Hero
Since we are on the subject of pivot grabbing, I have a question on retreating pivot grabs. I can't figure out how to control how far Pikachu slides when I want to do one. I usually get one of three outcomes: I slide really far (which is the one I want most of the time), I barely slide at all, or I end up rolling. How do you control how far you slide?
I think it depends on the timing of when you hit grab and you pivot, I believe that if you're running right and then move your control stick left and hit grab at the same time it makes you go farther. I'm not really knowledgeable on the subject so you can test a bit for yourself while waiting for someone to answer.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Actually, there are 3 outcomes because...

There are 2 pivot grabs when in DASH: You stop immediately or you drift farther. Then, in RUN, there is only 1 type of pivot grab, which is you drifting farther (Different length than the other one, though).

@Cassio: The reason I hate Yoshi's is because I feel like MK's ledge game is BETTER against Pikachu since we have less mix-up and we can't skull bash and go under the stage. I feel like I get edgeguarded on that stage more than anything else.

@The Pikachu ledge thing: I'm pretty sure we get off 12 frames earlier, but at the cost of 12 frames of invulnerability.

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
Actually, there are 3 outcomes because...

There are 2 pivot grabs when in DASH: You stop immediately or you drift farther. Then, in RUN, there is only 1 type of pivot grab, which is you drifting farther (Different length than the other one, though).

@Cassio: The reason I hate Yoshi's is because I feel like MK's ledge game is BETTER against Pikachu since we have less mix-up and we can't skull bash and go under the stage. I feel like I get edgeguarded on that stage more than anything else.

@The Pikachu ledge thing: I'm pretty sure we get off 12 frames earlier, but at the cost of 12 frames of invulnerability.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about, the one in dash where you slide really far. Can't seem to get it when I want too, any tips?

Angiance

Smash Lord
Pika is off the ledge in 10 frames. @Player-0: With Chu facing right, and the intention of sliding backwards, the quick diagonal input is: up-left > up-right; @Fiya: doing the BPG normally from a dash will always give you a slide, but doing it while standing gives you the farthest slide. @ESAM: Pikachu does very well in air, why Skull Bash under the stage?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah that's what I'm talking about, the one in dash where you slide really far. Can't seem to get it when I want too, any tips?

Dash, and while still in dash press Z and then back. If you dash, press back and then Z you will do the one where you stop moving completely.

@ESAM: Pikachu does very well in air, why Skull Bash under the stage?

If you are forced to recover and a MK is walling you out it is nice to get a boost of horizontal momentum that has a hitbox with it. You can't just hit MK with fair because he has a sword, so skull bash is pretty good a lot of times on BF/SV/Lylat/FD, just not Yoshi's. Having options eliminated sucks.

Angiance

Smash Lord
F-Air isn't good for air battles, U-Air, however, dominates air battles. Chu has a wall kick for clever mixes on YI (Wall kick a rising B-Air so that Chu slides up the wall with it)

Player -0

Smash Hero
Pika is off the ledge in 10 frames. @Player-0: With Chu facing right, and the intention of sliding backwards, the quick diagonal input is: up-left > up-right; @Fiya: doing the BPG normally from a dash will always give you a slide, but doing it while standing gives you the farthest slide. @ESAM: Pikachu does very well in air, why Skull Bash under the stage?
I use tap jump so eh.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
F-Air isn't good for air battles, U-Air, however, dominates air battles. Chu has a wall kick for clever mixes on YI (Wall kick a rising B-Air so that Chu slides up the wall with it)

Except when your opponent is in front of you and has disjointed hitboxes and tornado...uair is less than optimal. Also, you won't ever get close enough to the Yoshi's wall without some type of contention, MK can literally fall off ledge FF nair and you can't do anything.

Angiance

Smash Lord
U-Air vertically outranges MK, and beats him at diagonal angles, and the wall kick is a "mix", used when there is an opening. @Player-0: Oh...tap jump...

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Except for the fact that in the situation I'm talking about, which is RECOVERING VS MK you are never below or at a lower diagonal of him unless the MK is complete and utter garbage. So, you're statement is STILL false and you still don't get to the wall against MK very easily to wall-jump...

Angiance

Smash Lord
The wall kick is, again, a mix (meaning it's situational,) and U-Air DOES outrange MK vertically, and isn't a false statement; Pika's FF speed beats MK's fall speed, so why would Chu be stuck in front of him? Also, could D-Smash beat Mach Tornado?

FourStar

Smash Ace
Yeah i actually wanted to ask that too. so honestly i have no clue how to edgeguard Lucario. what is the best option?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Edgeguarding Lucario you just pressure the area around the ledge and stay in front and below him (diagonal). His fair won't hit and neither will his dair and you can uair him out. You can force him to fall where you want with thunder and T-jolt and YOLO Dair from above.

Angiance

Smash Lord
@FourStar: for edge guarding, if Lucario is above stage level, control the air with U-Air (upper tail tip), and AJ B-Air if he tries going behind Chu and make B-Air's last hit knock him away from the stage; if he's at stage level, space D-Tilt (to make him react, or hit him away), or ground jolt to control the edge from a safe distance, or charge F-Smash for pressure; if Lucario is below stage level, Air Jolt to control the lower area, edge hog then react; if he's dead below the ledge, Slow fall/Fast fall Soft N-Air to Strong N-Air gimps, but can be tough to land and risky, Discharge (Thunder's 2nd hit-box) covers the edge in that situation, Chu could also drop off with his tail towards the stage, and go for U-Air > N-Air. @Ramsaur: Chu has speed while Lucario has range. Be more specific with the questions and I can help better, but ask as many as you want! :)

Top Bottom