• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
Yo Angiance, could you possible change your text to a slightly lighter shade of purple? It's kinda difficult to read against the grey background

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I use standard controls with a gamecube controller and hold it normally, I used to play with tap jump off, but I've found it's easier to QaC>aerials with it on.

Angiance

Smash Lord
I use a GCN, and hold it normally. For the "Bell~" tag: I have "Tap jump" off; I set "R" to "Jump," for a more fluid A-Jolt/Thunder. That's all.

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
No man I won't be able to make it, I'm leaving Baton Rouge that friday night in order to go home for the weekend...

I turn tap jump off, set R to jump, and set Y to grab.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Yeah I was about to say guys...questions only.
Sorry, other people started it (The best johns...)
@ESAM I guess... I'm hoping to go to an Xanadu weekly in the winter because I'm going north to visit family. So, I wanted to ask if there's any advice for a Pika's first "tournament" especially for MU's.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Let us have our smashboards coming back hype Eric! But now that the hype is over lets get back to discussions. Here's something. What's (one of) your favorite Pika matches?
I don't know what my favorite is but ESAM vs ANTi is one of my favorites. The way ESAM's pika finally got through ANTi...until an SD sealed the match. Anther vs Malcolm is a good one too.

Tangent: The front page of this thread needs to be updated (talking to you Kprime) Especially the part where it says Anther is currently the best Pikachu, lol.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Back in the day when Lain was the best IC in America. Back when Izaw went to tournaments in Europe. Back when Messiah was new. When people used the Unity ruleset. Back when Malcolm played Sonic and not Wario....Back then Anther was the best.

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
I love watching anything with pikachu...
When I watch pikachu I usually record it because my commentary is hilarious.
It's usually me screaming pikachu, and declaring my love for pikachu, and realizing that I have a problem. A very beautiful problem :love:

Player -0

Smash Hero
I love watching anything with pikachu...
When I watch pikachu I usually record it because my commentary is hilarious.
It's usually me screaming pikachu, and declaring my love for pikachu, and realizing that I have a problem. A very beautiful problem :love:
Errr, Is this relevent for the question thread? There IS a social thread....
Although I bet my commentary is better, complete with me saying which moves I do as I do them but end up screwing up.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Yup that's a pikachu :)
I'm sorry, I'll try and get things back on track a little. I just had a small breakthrough with the olimar matchup. Hopefully I can help. It's theoretical, Imma go test it
Ooohoho, something that'll help against the Oli MU :D?
Apparently Oli has a blindspot with his grab up close or something (A friend told me) but I'm not sure, maybe.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Speaking of Olimar, I'm going to a Texas tournament tomorrow and you bet your ass Denti will be there. ESAM or Kprime, what do you recommend against Oli? Here's my list of who I play, or should I stay Pika and try and not recreate ESAM vs Nietono...lol sorry. I really wouldn't know what to do though if I had to face Denti. He 2 stocked my state's best player (Jnig) and took Smashcon (arguably LA's biggest tournament) and I couldn't take one stock of Jnig....although I am playing him tomorrow before Who's Tyler. Anyway. Oli help por favor. Oh yeah, and I just watched your match against Raptor at SKTAR on Keitaro's channel; that's good stuff.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I played Denti last week in tournament. Pika isn't THAT bad against Olimar. I was starting to get the hang of the mu by the 3rd match and got really close to taking a game off. Tilts are pretty effective against his grounds attacks, except grab. You want to try and get him in the air and keep him up there with a bunch of uairs. If you grab him at low percents (0-20), you can try to do fthrow and upsmash or if you're expecting him to whistle it, you can run up and shield to bait the whiste and get another grab. At 30-50%, you can do a dthrow to running nair. The hardest part of this match-up is getting in his face. Against Denti, I was actually getting away with rolling behind him a lot and getting a free grab, so maybe that could help. You're probably better off going MK or Falco tho.

Espy (Sonic) did take a set off of him in gfs though and it went down to game 5 the second set. That was pretty fun to watch.

Edit: Oh and you might have to play ALSM, who travels with Denti, and he's been using Olimar too.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Thanks for the advice Kprime. You're like the godfather of Pikachu like Dojo is to the MK community and that means a lot that you'll give me advice.

Espy rose the sonic main??? That's awesome!

I played ALSM at smashcon. I set up my Wii and he was the first guy I friendlied...got bodied. I also had to play him first round in bracket. Got wrecked there too. And I'm watching Denti's stream and he told me ALSM is playing Oli since Xyro use using unity at WHOBO [cough cough gay]

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
I have constant practice since my doubles partner is an olimar main. He always describes the matchup like its 80:20 by stating that pikachu has 0 options because he can't camp and he can't approach.

Memorizing their pikmin lineup is very important because they will out prioritize pika's moveset in different ways.
ex. Olimar Usmash beats pika Dair if it's not purple, so if they have a purple then auto cancel Dair him. (I'm going to try and get a list of all of these)
Things like this can allow you to approach, just don't be too predictable.
This is how I approach Olimar.

The thing that I was talking about last night is still in work. I'm going to contact my doubles partner about it today.
It has to do with a few things, approaching, edgegaurding, and a crazy juggling trick.
I want this matchup at 50:50. It's really my only goal as a pika main.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I actually did fairly well in friendlies vs Denti at SKTAR2. However...I don't really remember what I did...

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
I wish i got better at this game back was tin man was still around our scene cause he has a decent oli i find in that MU I more or less get curbed stomped in it and keep a couple of secondary's for him.

three matchups i was wondering about first was ICs. mainly what stage should you bring them to. obviously not FD for well obvious reasons. the other is any advice on splitting them up ? I like Dsmash but its not really the safest of moves if it misses. how do you guys approach em? flat out kill them or time them out or just play it really safe and kinda go with the flow. if theres openings kill them other wise time.

the other one was MK. partially finishing him off. ive actually gotten alright at fighting his annoying style but i noticed i fail miserably at finishing off MKs. to the point where i will go even with them to like 130 and get them to like 200 on the second stock with the %s still being fairly even other the the fact i died at 130 and their still trucking along.I tend to have a ton of trouble getting in and getting them. also how is D tilt in this match up? do you guys use it much? cause i find the extended hurt box ends up making me get hit a little to much.

the third is diddy kong. is there a vid of this/notable match against maybe Zinoto or ADHD cause i realized i dont really have a clue how to fight the monkey although the main diddy in our region kinda bodies the hell out of me regularly

and i think ive learned the marth MU now to :p what a fun MU once you get he hang of it. he totally zones the heck out of us but we beat the living crow out of him up close. Seriously practicing this MU made me find a lot of other MUs easier

BTW Esam no idea if you remember me when i was in flordia in july i finally mastered the art of Dair you were showing me how you practice CGs against fox if you dont remember with the whole Zbutton thing and i dittoed you got nervous and failed terribly at the simple things like QACs . i get really bad nerves in fights against people sometimes though and still choke the CGs to much though -.- but ive got the timing down more or less now. that said i think ive gotten a load better in general after going to smash feasts far more consistently. on a random note I heard you guys shared a room with some of the other Canadians in Sktar 2 and MVD bodied the hell out of our PR lol. Definitely sounded pretty hype wish I had money to tag along.

Top Bottom