• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Cassio

Smash Master
ESAM for the love of pika stop jumping before you QAC > nair. Jumping alone makes it a much more obvious tell on top of the animation being way more recognizable in the air. Doing it from the ground/oos is almost always better. Good job at SKTAR* regardless, im very happy theres vids of you playing Tyrant now, hes one of the only top MKs that legit knows the pika MU.

Player -0

Smash Hero
ESAM for the love of pika stop jumping before you QAC > nair. Jumping alone makes it a much more obvious tell on top of the animation being way more recognizable in the air. Doing it from the ground/oos is almost always better. Good job at Apex regardless, im very happy theres vids of you playing Tyrant now, hes one of the only top MKs that legit knows the pika MU.
He might do it so the opponent is expecting a thuunder jolt but I would assume it's just a habit. (Idk ask him lol)

Angiance

Smash Lord
He might do it so the opponent is expecting a thuunder jolt but I would assume it's just a habit. (Idk ask him lol)
Chu can only AJ after QAC (AJ is on frame 1), so no Jump Cancel; B-Air has backwards momentum, giving it more range, and travel speed from the back, which is useful for catching opponents trying to go behind Chu at AJ height; B-Air is also good for challenging an opponent's attempt at ledge-hogging Chu, given it's 8 large hit-boxs; B-Air, when an opponent is on a platform shielding, can cause a prat-fall, and is high pressure; use your imagination for B-Air, it's a pretty artistic move! ^ - ^

Player -0

Smash Hero
Chu can only AJ after QAC (AJ is on frame 1), so no Jump Cancel; B-Air has backwards momentum, giving it more range, and travel speed from the back, which is useful for catching opponents trying to go behind Chu at AJ height; B-Air is also good for challenging an opponent's attempt at ledge-hogging Chu, given it's 8 large hit-boxs; B-Air, when an opponent is on a platform shielding, can cause a prat-fall, and is high pressure; use your imagination for B-Air, it's a pretty artistic move! ^ - ^
Dang, Wish we could do a Jump Canceled grab, that would help us soooo much.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Dude, Pikachu's shield sucks balls. His OoS options are great but god does our shield suck!

Yeah ESAM, you Baired like everytime at SKTAR2, which by the way made my throat sore from all the yelling at your matches lol. Gunner even said he was doing the same thing!

Angiance

Smash Lord
Dude, Pikachu's shield sucks balls. His OoS options are great but god does our shield suck!

Yeah ESAM, you Baired like everytime at SKTAR2, which by the way made my throat sore from all the yelling at your matches lol. Gunner even said he was doing the same thing!
A Pikachu shield actually seems fairly durable with proper directing.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I feel like it gives a little nudge in the direction "Back" would be, but it doesn't help other than that I don't think.

We should honestly test more bair stuff

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Bair is such a good move :) i love that move :)

Is it ever worth it to approach with the front hit of Uair?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Nah, it's too unreliable because it's slow. However, it is good if you hit with it since it will combo into nair as the other part of uair will.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Yo, Guys, Has anyone else had the problem that when you thunder on the grass transformation of PS1 above the tree and you land on the slant while the thunder is coming down, you slide off REALLY far?

Player -0

Smash Hero
It's not a problem, it's AWESOME and it's just how slopes work
I was just wondering why it sent you so far, because one time I had thundered and went flying towards the bottom right corner, and just barely managed to make it back (I have really bad control of my Quick Attack). I wonder if you could use it to like, bodyslam somebody.

Angiance

Smash Lord
As good (and adorable) as B-Air is, U-Air defeats the realistic purpose of it; most of the things B-Air does, U-Air does better and more. Question: does reversing U-Tilt cost frames?

SSS

Smash Ace
So I've chaingrabbed a Falco to 99% and have him in a grab. What are my options to make this a guaranteed 0 to death? I usually dthrow to nair, or fthrow him off the ledge if I'm feeling fancy. But is there a better option?

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Hey, moderately new Pika player here.

Im having a fair amount of difficulty with the Ness matchup. I have a lot of trouble simply approaching him or finding a spot that will give me more options, especially on stages with platforms such as BF at kill percents. Him being able to laglessly absorb my jolts isnt exactly helping either. Im also confused as to a way to gimp him effectively without being at large risk myself, as wavebounced thunder isnt very effective. So yeah.

Player -0

Smash Hero
As good (and adorable) as B-Air is, U-Air defeats the realistic purpose of it; most of the things B-Air does, U-Air does better and more. Question: does reversing U-Tilt cost frames?
As in turning around before U-Tilt or is there a quick way? I think you might be able to True Pivot (Which is one frame I think) and do it so it wouldn't be slower.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You can cancel turn-around with whatever move so it would only cost 1 frame. However, if you are buffering it, like out of a d-throw, it doesn't cost any frames.

Hey, moderately new Pika player here.

Im having a fair amount of difficulty with the Ness matchup. I have a lot of trouble simply approaching him or finding a spot that will give me more options, especially on stages with platforms such as BF at kill percents. Him being able to laglessly absorb my jolts isnt exactly helping either. Im also confused as to a way to gimp him effectively without being at large risk myself, as wavebounced thunder isnt very effective. So yeah.
In the Ness MU i've found that you need to contest his landings and also be in the right position, below and in front of him, when he is in the air. Watch for dair in that position, but uair becomes your friend.

Angiance

Smash Lord
T-Jolts against Ness is bad; D-Tilt (tip range) beats Ness' ground game; SH U-Air (back hit, tip range) beats all of Ness' aerials, except F-Air; Against Ness' F-Air: Shield-Grab (unless it's spaced,) boost pivot grab, SH-AD through it and behind Ness; Chu has a grab release chain on Ness; Offstage, hang on the ledge and wall Ness with U-Air; SDI out of PK Fire if it connects; Ness' will occasionally bait with PK Thunder aiming to hit with PK Thunder 2, hold that shield up and don't drop until it's 100% safe, then punish, or shield-grab (if Ness' PKT2 strikes the shield).

[Corn]

Smash Ace
You can cancel turn-around with whatever move so it would only cost 1 frame. However, if you are buffering it, like out of a d-throw, it doesn't cost any frames.

In the Ness MU i've found that you need to contest his landings and also be in the right position, below and in front of him, when he is in the air. Watch for dair in that position, but uair becomes your friend.
Ya, Uair beats it due to sheer speed. Well the most trouble Ive gotten is getting around his Fair for obvious reasons, though if he becomes predictable with the double jump Usmash and Nair are fast enough to intercept them..

T-Jolts against Ness is bad; D-Tilt (tip range) beats Ness' ground game; SH U-Air (back hit, tip range) beats all of Ness' aerials, except F-Air; Against Ness' F-Air: Shield-Grab (unless it's spaced,) boost pivot grab, SH-AD through it and behind Ness; Chu has a grab release chain on Ness; Offstage, hang on the ledge and wall Ness with U-Air; SDI out of PK Fire if it connects; Ness' will occasionally bait with PK Thunder aiming to hit with PK Thunder 2, hold that shield up and don't drop until it's 100% safe, then punish, or shield-grab (if Ness' PKT2 strikes the shield).
I mostly have learned to jolt at him offstage more then anything now. Didnt know the tip of the Uair beats his stuff, I assume that you would have to preemptively use uair though wouldnt you?
I know of the grab release chain, but is there any way of finishing it besides getting to the end of the stage?
Is it safe to follow Ness offstage and try to gimp him? I have difficulty doing so as well as preventing him from simply getting back on using Fair.

Lastly, I know you arent supposed to force the kill with Pika, but what should I be looking for when going for one? Ive had my friends Ness survive to ridiculous percents occasionally because I couldnt find any opening besides QAC Nair and I end up taking lots of gravy damage in the process.

Honestly Ive watched a few Pikas, including Esam, bait Ness to hop up with a fair and do a single jab, causing them to fall and potentially gimp themselves. Ive actually had this work a few times, but it is of course unreliable.

Angiance

Smash Lord
U-Air will hit through all of Ness' aerials (except his F-Air); the Grab-Release chain can be ended with Dash U-Smash; when Ness is offstage, hang onto the ledge and wall him with U-Air (drop down U-Air then AJ U-Air back to the ledge), going for the gimp is risky because of PKT2 having the velocity of a steroid addicted, pissed off bull, however; Jab is very good for edge-guards in many cases, due to it's speed and disjointed range (very good for healing staled moves); KO Ness with F-Smash around the edge of the stage (KO at 90%)

Player -0

Smash Hero
You mean as in when he is recovering just hold the ledge and expect a Fair?
If he's down parallel to you and is content with floating down, instead of trying to intercept him, because he'll probably use his double jump with a Dair or Fair. Bait the double jump and the attack and punish depending on high he is.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
If he's down parallel to you and is content with floating down, instead of trying to intercept him, because he'll probably use his double jump with a Dair or Fair. Bait the double jump and the attack and punish depending on high he is.

Could you explain what you mean here? I may be a bit confused due to the wording.

Unless the gist is, "If he tries to recover low, bait him to attack whilst rising and profit" I dont understand.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Could you explain what you mean here? I may be a bit confused due to the wording.

Unless the gist is, "If he tries to recover low, bait him to attack whilst rising and profit" I dont understand.
Basically, just try to get him to use up his double jump early and then you can just hop on his face and eat his PK thunder.
Edit: Lemme draw a picture :D
Edit 2: Dangit, Can't upload picture from file :l

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Basically, just try to get him to use up his double jump early and then you can just hop on his face and eat his PK thunder.
Edit: Lemme draw a picture :D
Edit 2: Dangit, Can't upload picture from file :l

Ok then, but how would I stop his rising fair if he is coming diagonaly upwards? Like what move would work to which aerial? Dair is pretty easy to beat, Bair is weird at times with its sourspot/hitbox, Fair is a nightmare when rising, and uair is just standard.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Ok then, but how would I stop his rising fair if he is coming diagonaly upwards? Like what move would work to which aerial? Dair is pretty easy to beat, Bair is weird at times with its sourspot/hitbox, Fair is a nightmare when rising, and uair is just standard.
You bait out the Rising Fair before hopping back to the ledge for the invincibility or shield on the stage. If he looks like he's going to get back onto the stage while using his second jump you could always try drop down thunder.

Top Bottom