• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
First off, it's transcendent, not transient.

Second off, yes it is still 0. After I played Anti at SKTAR i felt he was too good at the MU and I couldn't really touch him (He 2 stocked me on FD, what). However, I got better at the MU and then went completely even with him at Apex in Pika/MK and I think he's the best MK at the MU, so that kinda shows, to me, that it's even.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
ANTi is just so freaking godlike at that MU. Let me see if I can pull up that text from Gunner about this very subject.So it was like player skill getting in the way of determining character skill? That was such a good showing at Apex, I was watching it live cheering you on dude! My parents thought I was getting mad about something when I got hype from the QAC lock. You've come a long way from Pound V. Are ya'll going to MM at SKTAR if you don't see him in bracket.

FourStar

Smash Ace
First off, it's transcendent, not transient.

Second off, yes it is still 0. After I played Anti at SKTAR i felt he was too good at the MU and I couldn't really touch him (He 2 stocked me on FD, what). However, I got better at the MU and then went completely even with him at Apex in Pika/MK and I think he's the best MK at the MU, so that kinda shows, to me, that it's even.
so was it you and Cassio who pretty much decided that MK vs pika is even for the new MU chart?

Angiance

Smash Lord
No way it's perfectly even, it's at least SLIGHTLY in MK's favor, or do you forget how lightning quick his moves are to ours? His D-Tilt has absolutely ridiculous range, and is out on frame 3; his N-Air is basically and upgraded version of ours, having more range/damage and far less landing/aerial lag, and holy crap, let's not even talk about his super good U-Air.

We have trouble killing, MK doesn't; sure, we have T-Jolt, but he has quickness, range, and KO moves over us

To say it's perfectly even is absurd, dude

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Sigh, who wants to correct him this time? @Holden you get your butt in this discusion!

Do I need to remind you who has been playing this game competitively since 08? Your words sound great but they have no experience to back it up; ESAM gave us examples like when he fought ANTi. Are you sure you want to argue with the best Pikachu that has ever been in the scene?

Djent

Smash Champion
M2K's perception of matchup ratios has historically been horrible (Snake, Diddy, Oli were supposedly even. That doesn't quite put Pika in good company.) - yet when it comes to playing them, he's way better than he gets credit for.

FourStar

Smash Ace
M2K's perception of matchup ratios has historically been horrible (Snake, Diddy, Oli were supposedly even. That doesn't quite put Pika in good company.) - yet when it comes to playing them, he's way better than he gets credit for.
Mew2king overcomes so many odds. his mind is his own enemy. its better to just watch what he does

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
My 2 cents on MK vs Pika being even. It boils down to 1 of 2 things regarding how top players perform. Its as simple as finding out what the top player does best at.

Its either;

1. They know the character they're fighting better

2. They know the opponent they're fighting better

If Esam says Anti is/was better at the MU at one point, its possible Anti knew either his opponents playstyle and countered it better. Or just knew pikachu the character better.

But does that really make the MU even? I'd argue it all comes down to who can learn the player faster. Every top player and every one playing smash has habbits. Find them, find holes and exploits in those habits win you the match. To a degree, yes knowing the character. But that comes with practice, and playing said match up. Its like taking a crash course review before the exam, you study the oddities of the match and when you have to take the test your more likely to succeed because you're more likely to have found a common exploit in a character or play style in practicing.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Actually, y'know what? WHO ****ING GIVES A ****

IF YOU DON'T THINK THE GOD DAMN MATCHUP IS EVEN THEN BE THAT WAY

IF YOU THINK THE GOD DAMN MATCHUP IS EVEN THEN BE THAT WAY

IF YOU ****ING PEOPLE ASK FOR A GOD DAMN OPINION I'M NOT GOING TO GO THROUGH A 17 PAGE ARGUMENT FOR THE 11TH GOD DAMN TIME

**** YOU

*exhales*

Seriously, it's REALLY aggravating having to explain myself OVER and OVER when you can pretty much go into any god damn thread where the discussion is and I answer it. If you are small-minded to the point where you think Range > Pikachu, it's your loss and you will NEVER overcome that hurdle and have fun playing against almost any character with disjoints. Have fun being bad.

If people were more open-minded about this discussion I wouldn't mind having it but every time it devolves into OMG HE HAS A SWORD AND TORNADO. WELL GUESS WHAT ASSHOLES?!? Tornado does like 10 and his sword really isn't THAT good. It's punishable, guys. We do SO much damage to him and have guaranteed combos that bring MK to ridiculous % and CAN ALSO KILL HIM. HOW 'BOUT DAT ****?!?

Oh, and spoilers. Nobody ACTUALLY gives a **** what ****ing no-name Pikachus have to say about the MU. Hell, people barely care what some of the best non-ESAM pikachus have to say about the MU. The only Pikachus that actually have respect in this community are myself and Z. SO please, when you go "Well in my clearly uneducated opinion I believe this" it doesn't actually matter.

#IncomingInfraction

Edit: For clarification, this is MOSTLY at Bell/Angiance. I'm REALLY tired of arguing with you considering you have NO experience outside of your neighborhood and you have never been to a tournament or even INTERACTED with high level players outside of the internet. So please...either go to a tournament or stop acting like you know what is best/correct in situations because you don't and you won't until you actually have experience. #Shots****ingFired

ESAM, you're like 1-5 against Mew2King. How can you say Anti is the best at the matchup when he hasn't proven himself to the same degree?
Pretty much every set we play recently is 2-1 or 3-2 last hit last stock or something and I'll just make the mistake first. His tornadoes are godlike and I personally have a hard time dealing with it considering Seibrik doesn't use them that often. If I was better at dealing with nado i would definitely beat him

so was it you and Cassio who pretty much decided that MK vs pika is even for the new MU chart?
It was everybody on the Pikachu panel ultimately agreeing and then everybody on the MK panel agreeing. We didn't even have a discussion IIRC.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Did I not say it was a bad idea? This guy knows what he's talking about! Sorry/not sorry dude but you had that coming when you keep arguing for the sake of arguing and with no humility or credibility behind it.

......Soooooo...football season is in 40 days... How about those Dolphins?

Lol bfrt: I can never find Z on YouTube. I don't get very clear results when I type in "Pikachu Z" or "brawl Z". And that's a shame because from hat I've heard he's pretty good.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Look man, we're not deliberately trying to dog on you here. It's just really hard to make progress and have discussions when you're always bringing up stuff about stuff that would obviously never work (like when you said fair combos into Nair). And when you're constantly going against ESAM; the BEST Pikachu in the world who has been to countless tournaments, has faced all the top players (and MKs since that was the discussion) like ANTi, Nairo, M2K, and even some Japanese MKs like Rain. Do you not stop and think,"Well I've never been in a tournament and I think this. But ESAM has more experience than me and Ramsaur will ever have, maybe he is actually right since he's been in this situation we're talking about." Instead you kept arguing and getting on our nerves with your suggestions that defiantly were wrong. My friend Mac Colvin said it like this [we were talking about AIA stuff, like Pow Wows and stuff.] "There's no right way to do it. But there defiantly is a wrong way." You kept saying the wrong things and kept arguing that you were right with NO experience to back it up. How are you supposed to expect us to get on what you're saying if you have nothing to back it up, and you never took a step back and though "Mabye I'M the one that's wrong here." There's no getting around it, you've lost all of your credibility and to earn it back I'd like to see you go to a tournament. Once you get some experience behind you then we'll start acknowledging the things you're saying. But for now, just stop arguing man!

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
What you need to do is go to the tournament thread, press CTRL+F and put in "TN" or any other state near you. Search for some very month or so. Then (as much as I hate the website) go to allisbrawl and look for people in your area. Meet people in your area, go play them. And look for tournaments. I thought my state was barren until I found this http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...onthly-10-july-20th-2013-mandeville-la.53259/ If none of that exists. Then start your own. You'll be known as the person who founded the competitive scene in Tennessee

Angiance

Smash Lord
Give me a link to the tourney thread

Btw, F-Air > N-Air IS a string, as I said

String = may hit, but can be avoided

Combo = 100% hit ratio, as in F-Throw > U-Smash on Bowser

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
I'm not gonna try it out, FF F-air > N-Air is easily shieldable you'd be better off D-smash/grab/U-Tilting after a FF F-air.

And you said F-air strings into N-air, not FF F-air strings into N-air which strings into a rising F-air into a N-air on a lower Battlefield platform. Be more specific next time instead of just saying F-air strings into N-air, because it doesn't

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Damn, you guys are mean. And what's wrong with fair > nair? It works just as good as fair > anything else.

Fiya - How are you gonna say fair > nair is easily shieldable and then suggest fair > utilt? Utilt comes out just as fast as nair and that's if you're close enough to hit with the back part.

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
Not sure, don't remember much from the bracket matches Ram.

And Bunz, I would think N-air would take longer to come out after a FF F-air than U-tilt because you have to input the jump before the N-air, whereas you can just immediately U-tilt.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Yeah Holden this isn't 64 where we can cancel all of the landing lag. You either take the landing lag or auto cancel it. Even then you're still taking like 5 frames of standard landing. But nevertheless, Utilt still comes out faster after FF Fair than Nair. The only time I could string Nair after fair is if I read DI and my opponent is to stupid to react fast enough and I use my second jump to Nair. Damn it, stop arguing. ESAM just went off on you for this. Holden that's Kprime not "bunz" lol. Kprime, you've played Gunner right?

Top Bottom