• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You can combo into it, but normally if you want a combo move you either uair or dair as opposed to purposely soft hit nair.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Right, thanks. Something else, once Chu has started a string, should Chu keep them in close by avoiding mid-high knockback moves (N-Air, U-Smash, F-Tilt, etc.)?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I mean, there aren't a lot of long strings in general, so no, after 1-2 hit you can nair. Your movement and pressure afterwards will determine if you get another hit. If not, capitalize on their (more than likely) bad positioning. That concept is why d-throw dash nair is so good. You put yourself NEAR your opponent, causing them to do something or run away, and it is advantageous on both fronts in most matchups.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
You are using thunder, not T2. You shouldn't be using the actual T2 hitbox unless you have a hard read, like I said. Thunder doesn't really protect you if the person isn't bad, shields it originally, and then punishes you since now the hitbox isn't active against them.
In my experience, 100% of the time Thunder, the part that hits Pikachu, pushes the opponent away even if they shield it and furthermore retains its infamous long-lasting hitbox. Maybe it's just something I do more often than you. I get hard reads with it frequently.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Or your opponents are just bad and fall into thunder. That **** worked for me in like 2009 lol

Also, if you hit somebody's shield with thunder...they can't get hit by it anymore, you are free to punish by THAT person. If another person runs in, sure you can hit them.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I don't think it's a matter of bad opponents. Somebody familiar with the Pikachu MU probably won't get hit by it, but random tourney goers sure might. In fact, they do. It tends to punish people who are "seeing red" and don't realize that you can respond that way so quickly with Thunder. Therefore, I like to keep it in mind for use.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Whoops, I was posting about something that y'all were discussing on the last page. Didn't see that there was another page. (I still don't know how to delete posts)

M15t3R E

Smash Master
How does everyone think a double Pikachu team would work out? Assuming of course that both Pikachu players know what the hell they're doing.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
You should try as hard as you can to go to tournaments.

ESAM, I've never watched you and MVD team (don't kill me). How well does our character work with Snake?

Angiance

Smash Lord
Hey Ramsey, I practice Chu every day (fluidity, spacing, defensive techniques, spacing, spacing, did I mention spacing?) I've been ready...

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Snake and Pikachu are a really awkward team. They have a bunch of things that work well for them, but also some fairly large weaknesses (Mostly the fact that Pikachu doesn't really have a move to get people off of Snake short of thunder). A HUGE advantage of the team is that we have got kills at like 50% because of like...c-4 to thunder to grenade. The kill potential of the team is dumb, Pikachu is really good at saving snake off-stage, and they have a really solid camp game.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Ok, 1. My name is not Ramsey. It's Ramsaur; that's my last name. And instead of being funny with it like NickRiddle did ("Ramsaur? What is that like a dinosaur that gets it in?") you kind of pissed me off. Also; while you may practice everyday there is only so much you can learn with CPUs. Did you know that lvl 9s are actually bad to play with because they make you pick up bad habits. You can't talk like you're good unless you've measured how good you are by playing against other players. So don't act like you're ready because I was not expecting to do how I did at my first tournament. I got second seed in my pool only because I lost to the best player in my state: JNig. Then lost my composure and confidence when I had to play the guy who 3 stocked me in friendless, and then was so distraught from that I used my MK to save me from a ZSS that I didn't need saving from and screwed up at his counter pick and SDed. All that confidence got shut down, because I wasn't prepared in the composure department. So don't act like you're prepared for everything because you don't know your true strength until you play against someone else.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Snake and Pikachu are a really awkward team. They have a bunch of things that work well for them, but also some fairly large weaknesses (Mostly the fact that Pikachu doesn't really have a move to get people off of Snake short of thunder). A HUGE advantage of the team is that we have got kills at like 50% because of like...c-4 to thunder to grenade. The kill potential of the team is dumb, Pikachu is really good at saving snake off-stage, and they have a really solid camp game.
I would a think that Pikachu has a lot of saving potential with a fast uair to give him another recovery. How well did/do you and MVD do? Also, does Florida have a thread where Everyone in your state gets together and discusses tournaments and stuff? Like this http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...onthly-10-july-20th-2013-mandeville-la.53259/

Angiance

Smash Lord
The way Nick said it sounds...more offensive-but sorry dude, won't happen again. Did you notice anything you were doin' wrong in-tournament as Chu? Any questions?

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Well that's the thing, I never played Pika in bracket. I was too scared and played MK the whole time. I bet you if I would have went Pika I would have made at least 7th place. As for doing anything wrong, not really. My Pikachu did very very well friendlies, and I got plenty of compliments on it. Dude, I was in the ZONE! It was definitely the best I've ever played; And made me feel really good about myself since that was the first time ever playing against someone other than the two guys I play my town. (Who did come to the tournament with me but didn't even make it out of pools) What's really killed me was the SDs. I lost so many stocks to SDs and was getting so pissed off. It's funny, it was the best of ever played but also the most SDs ever made in a day.

Angiance

Smash Lord
You switching, it's understandable man; having to travel, pay money, work so far in-tournament, etc. makes you realize things, many things, and when it all comes down to it, you just do what you gotta do; As for the SDs, could you explain exactly how you were SDing?

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Alright I just went back and looked at all my matches I saved. At the beginning of the tournament I was just taking down anyone who wanted to friendly, and only lost twice in friendlies to the MK that got third and a Luigi that went to last stock. (because Luigi is a MU that just scares me. Have you ever seen Anther vs. Boss??) Throughout the day my DI, SDI, and momentum cancel was fantastic. I was alway getting KOed from 140%-200%. By the middle of the day when it was time for pools, and I still had that confidence. Then by the end of the day [bracket and post tourney friendlies/Money matches] I was just ugly. My matches from the end of the day showed me missing QAC a LOT! That's something I never miss! As for the SDs; I had a bad input error and pressed Down-D after ledgedropping and just dove down to my death lol. And there was other times where I inputed an aerial instead of QA or Skull bash and just ended up dying because the move wasn't over yet. I saw myself get punished a whole lot by the end of the tourney from missed QACs. My advice to you is to not lose your composure. CPUs aren't intimidating; but when you have to play the best guy in your state followed by the guy who bodied you in friendlies, you get kind of distraught. I mean on the outside I was looking like ANTi: Cracking jokes and stuff during and in between matches. I got a lot of compliments like,"Hey man it was nice meeting you, you're a a really cool guy!" But subconsciously, I was deteriorating underneath and I didn't even realize it until I got knocked into losers and lost to that ZSS (Which I should NOT have lost to. I was so much better than him). Just keep yourself in check.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Alright I just went back and looked at all my matches I saved. At the beginning of the tournament I was just taking down anyone who wanted to friendly, and only lost twice in friendlies to the MK that got third and a Luigi that went to last stock. (because Luigi is a MU that just scares me. Have you ever seen Anther vs. Boss??) Throughout the day my DI, SDI, and momentum cancel was fantastic. I was alway getting KOed from 140%-200%. By the middle of the day when it was time for pools, and I still had that confidence. Then by the end of the day [bracket and post tourney friendlies/Money matches] I was just ugly. My matches from the end of the day showed me missing QAC a LOT! That's something I never miss! As for the SDs; I had a bad input error and pressed Down-D after ledgedropping and just dove down to my death lol. And there was other times where I inputed an aerial instead of QA or Skull bash and just ended up dying because the move wasn't over yet. I saw myself get punished a whole lot by the end of the tourney from missed QACs. My advice to you is to not lose your composure. CPUs aren't intimidating; but when you have to play the best guy in your state followed by the guy who bodied you in friendlies, you get kind of distraught. I mean on the outside I was looking like ANTi: Cracking jokes and stuff during and in between matches. I got a lot of compliments like,"Hey man it was nice meeting you, you're a a really cool guy!" But subconsciously, I was deteriorating underneath and I didn't even realize it until I got knocked into losers and lost to that ZSS (Which I should NOT have lost to. I was so much better than him). Just keep yourself in check.

All Chu needs on the ledge (and in most air battles) is U-Air (mid section); with good spacing, U-Air (mid section) is just such a beautiful move

Chu sees a blind spot + Offensive QAC = Artwork; never use it offensively without a blindspot

Thanks for the advice, by the way

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Uair on the ledge??? I usually ledgedrop>Fair or Ledgejump>T-Jolt. And other stuff. But never Uair. It's such a weak attack that I only use it off the ground.

Also: ESAM, I really could use a directory to Florida tournaments. I'm in Florida right now an I want to see if there are any tournaments near me.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Uair on the ledge??? I usually ledgedrop>Fair or Ledgejump>T-Jolt. And other stuff. But never Uair. It's such a weak attack that I only use it off the ground.
It's damage is fairly low...but it puts Chu in good attack positions for most of his other moves (Tailspike U-Air back onstage > Pivot Grab/D-Tilt, for example), and the safety factor of U-Air...dear GOD the SAFETY FACTOR, it's freakin' STUPID (in a good way)

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Uair from the ledge is great, as are all of Pika's aerials. Ledge playing is an important part of my gameplay. If an aerial is shielded, just fall back onto the ledge. If that doesn't work I won't stay there forever, I'll QAC back onto the stage.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
I guess that's where different play styles come in. Uair off the ledge is something I never do. I find any other move than that to be more affective off of the ledge.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Pikachu's ledge options are pretty good. Immediate fall of uair will drag people off the stage who are getting too overzealous with edge pressure and you can hit them off and reverse the situation. Ledgehop fair is gdlk and if you are hitting somebody's shield, normally nair will shield poke after the fair. You have the QA mix-ups (oh god they are so good) to make people second guess everything...and then you have the actual ledge options.

For the previous discussion (Also, relax Ramsaur, don't get mad at people for mispronouncing your name, people did it to me for years -_-) You have no idea how prepared you are for a tournament until you go. Assuming you want to place well, not only do you have to be good at the game itself in terms of technical skill, follow-ups, and reads...but you also have to be able to adapt at the same time as keeping your composure. It's really difficult and EVERY player succumbs to the pressure sometimes (It's why people like Nakat beat some of the best players in the world even if his skill is significantly less...also ICs). You can get greedy once and then suddenly the entire match is shifted out of your favor and you have to work your way back without getting flustered with the thoughts of "Oh man if only I didn't do X I would be doing so much better **** **** **** **** **** ****** ***** **** **** *****"

For the Pika/Snake stuff: Pikachu can save Snake pretty well with uair, thunder, footstooling cypher, and just the general quickness in which Pikachu can go places. Their cluster-**** damage is ridiculous and they can net really early kills too

Yo I think this has already been asked but I don't remember... Can someone explain why this happens ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHD3JEi-YWc @ around 20 sec
Ahh, the stupid fair stuff. I don't think anybody really figured out WHY that happens short of Pikachu's body moving in such a way he lands and since it's at the beginning of fair it autocancels.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Thanks ESAM, that was good stuff. But seriously though can you hook me up with a Florida tournament directory. My state has one so I guess you guys have one too...maybe? Anyone I'm in Florida right now and I want to see if there are any tournaments near me.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I don't think we have a Florida tournament directory. Just go to the regional zone part of Smashboards.

Where are you right now?

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Ahh, the stupid fair stuff. I don't think anybody really figured out WHY that happens short of Pikachu's body moving in such a way he lands and since it's at the beginning of fair it autocancels.
Uh, that's what I thought

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
I wouldn't say that. ESAM said it's -1 because his tilt and poke game. But we can challenge him in the air. I still don't know due to lack of experience it really is -1 or ±0

Top Bottom