• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Hmm... from what I've seen of Ike in the hands of a skilled player, his recovery is very difficult to gimp and his aerials all have really good autocancels. The only thing I can think that would make the matchup easier is getting really good at shieldgrabbing his jab, but it comes out so fast that it's hard to shield.

Oh, and san said to ledge drop nairs to gimp ike, it's hard as **** to time but it's worth a shot i suppose.
I hope to put up my videos against my crewmate's main (IKE) taking parts of my test and fighting against my pikachu sometime soon if that helps (he's a pretty good ike also... plays a mix of san/ninjalink/and ryko playstyles).

Kantō

Smash Champion
im not talking about ike in general, i mean like GOOD ikes. but i think the sheildgrab may be to slow, and/or send u too far back to do a sheildgrab. what is the correct CG though?

altairian

Smash Lord
It appears to be fthrows below 50% bry. Dthrow is escapable according to the cg thread.

I'd be surprised if shieldgrab isn't fast enough, although range could certainly be an issue due to our tiny arms and ike's crazy jab range =(

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
im not talking about ike in general, i mean like GOOD ikes. but i think the sheildgrab may be to slow, and/or send u too far back to do a sheildgrab. what is the correct CG though?
I think the Ike I face is way above the skill level of most ikes. Though if you are asking specifically only about ikes that are San or ryko or similar level, then my friend is not yet up there. If you don't mine a "very slight" down toned ike example i'll be happy to find the few of our videos.

Kantō

Smash Champion
yes i want to know how to beat San. also curas ike is getting me as well. im doing better with PT than with pikachu. mabye a better matchup?

gallax

Smash Hero
a quick thing to know about ikes jab cancel. if you SDI out and away u can jump out before he cancels his second jab and begins a series of new jabs. very useful tidbit.

Kantō

Smash Champion
a quick thing to know about ikes jab cancel. if you SDI out and away u can jump out before he cancels his second jab and begins a series of new jabs. very useful tidbit.
okay kool, those jabs are annoying. and everytime i go to shield grab im too far away lol , and end up getting screwed.

so, what ive taken from this so far is:

- get away from those jabs
-spam
- play campy and wait for ikes bad lag to attack

also one thing,

when you do the drop down from the ledge to the rising nair, when is the best time to hit ike from under the ledge? i actentally got a stage spike one time.

gallax

Smash Hero
could you explain more about the rising nair scenario pleas? like what each player is doing.

and ive played a good ike. its tough if you keep getting baited nto attacks. one thing that ike's like to do too is a retreating fair. your best best is to run in a p-shield it. if you dont have time then stay away.

just a trivia thing: meep once lost to neo when he picked up ike to prove a point about spacing

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
and if you dont sdi he can juggle you all the way across the stage. learn to sdi in that matchup LOL
Lol. And the bonus is that a lot of Ikes go on autopilot when they jab cancel, so if you jump, you can usually ff on top of them with a fair (at least the first time before they learn better).

Kantō

Smash Champion
for the rising nair, i mean when ike has been hit off the stage and is comming in from under the stage to do his upB. pikachu is holding on the ledge, drops down and jumps with nair for a good gimp move. what i want to know is,

is this worth it? because its kinds easy to get sucked into his upB
is there somehting better that im unaware of to gimp ike easier?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Learn when his super armor frames are and time your invincibility so that you don't get hit by the sword. Here's the frame data on his Aether:

Hitbox: 18, 20-29, 30-38, 39, 46-57, 64-73, 74-77
Super Armor Frames: 18-38
IASA: 110

So basically, you wanna hit him during the startup or time your invincibility so that you drop past the sword and hit him after his super armor frames are over (after he's done throwing his sword up, it looks like).

Kantō

Smash Champion
Learn when his super armor frames are and time your invincibility so that you don't get hit by the sword. Here's the frame data on his Aether:

Hitbox: 18, 20-29, 30-38, 39, 46-57, 64-73, 74-77
Super Armor Frames: 18-38
IASA: 110

So basically, you wanna hit him during the startup or time your invincibility so that you drop past the sword and hit him after his super armor frames are over.
okay, a very solid answer, thank you so much kaylo:chuckle:

but is this the best move to gimp ike?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
The best move to gimp Ike is QA. After you throw Ike off the stage, most good Ikes will try to go for the ledge with their UpB. You want to be waiting on the stage when this is happening, just about 2-3 pikas away from the edge so his sword doesn't hit you. Right when he throws his sword up, quickly QA downward towards the ledge so you auto snap, stealing the ledge, and Ike should fall to his doom. With good timing your QA should go through his sword. This is something Anther taught me not too long ago. :)

altairian

Smash Lord
for the rising nair, i mean when ike has been hit off the stage and is comming in from under the stage to do his upB. pikachu is holding on the ledge, drops down and jumps with nair for a good gimp move. what i want to know is,

is this worth it? because its kinds easy to get sucked into his upB
is there somehting better that im unaware of to gimp ike easier?
San said to do a FALLING nair. And the basic idea is to ledgedrop so you get underneath his sword while it's spinning (using invincibility to dodge the sword), and you're just knocking him back down when his character starts to rise up (after the super armor frames in other words). Even a weak nair hit SHOULD be enough knockback/hitstun to prevent him from being able to reach the ledge with a second aether. If not it puts you in a good position to nair him again with your double jump.

What Prime said sounds pretty good too, as long as they're counting on sweetspotting the ledge.

Kantō

Smash Champion
whats the best way to learn the QAC lock where you QAC back and forth into your opponenet? i usually can get off 2 or 3 but then i end up side b'ing or QAC up into the air and getting punished. what is your guys technique for this? do you use the tapjump? or not?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Practice, practice, practice until you can do it in your sleep. If you can get it at least 2-3 times, you just gotta not **** up after that, lol.

From what I understand (and the minimal time I spent practicing it), it's easier with tap jump on since you don't have to mess with any buttons other than the control stick and the B button.

Kantō

Smash Champion
is it okay to practice this in training mode? or will the CPU make it not work? like when u practice CG's.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Not sure. K Prime or ESAM would probably be able to answer that better.... I don't really QAC/QAL much.

I'm not sure how much staling QA affects the lock, but I'd imagine you can practice it in Training Mode without any problems.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
The only difference would be that the CPU wouldn't be able to inch worm DI or whatever it's called.

Just get down QAC'ing.

altairian

Smash Lord
Looks like a QAC to phantom footstool. Not too sure.
Yeah the height he got looks like a footstool to me. It more or less screws you over if it happens, not really worth learning unless you like, want to footstool jump off your partner in dubz or something o_O

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
I thought about the footstool too with the height but you never see the footstool animation. How do you phantom one exactly?

PZ

Smash Lord
Oh i did that when i got the game. I was a jump off head mastar. Im the reason nintendo didnt make coop mario gamez until the 15 (aka super mario bros wii).I was total murder when i got that game. I jumped off so many heads including my own partner's well. Anyway its where your opponent attacks with anymove and you jump off their head but they dont notice it you know their attack keeps going. The computers do it alot your like "im total gonna murder them off the edge" but then guess what they phantom foostooled you. :mad:

mercy

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu's best kill move?

I personally think its Nair, due to it's practicality. However thunder is his most satisfying.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I get most of my kills from either nair (offstage or OOS) or thunder off the top. The problem with nair is that I have a bad habit of staling it; the problem with thunder is that vs. a careful opponent, it can be hard to set up even with utilt.

I'd have to go with nair, personally. As long as you refresh it, it's moderately strong, fast, and it feels easier to set up to me. Thunder's a close second, tho.

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
Okk.
First off lets list all of Pikachus Kill moves:
1. N-air
2. Thunder.
3. Last Hitbox of d-smash
4. F-smash
5.Up-smash.
6. Off stage d-air

now First off N-air is one of pikachus best moves. I personally use it to rack-up damage and to gimp. And i also use it to follow-up like u-airs, and u-tilts. N-air is a great move. Great for killing(if fresh) and great for racking up damage.

2. Thunder: I would say that this move is Piakchu signature move. Everyone knows pikachu for this move.
Thunder can be very hard to get a hit with, but then again, it has great knock-back, and great vertical range and great damage. Ether set-up with u-tilt. or up-smash. or do what i sometimes do. When your opponent hits you up into the air, and your up in the air were they cant see you but that little bubble shows were you are. use thunder, but move pikachu out of the way. so the thunder goes straight down to hit your opponent.

3. The last hit-box of d-smash, Time your d-smash just right so only the last 2 hitboxes hit. around 140-160% your opponent should die. That is if d-smash is fresh

4. F-smash. I use this smash as a damage rackerr. But it can also be used at a great kill move.

5. up-smash. Up-smash can be used as a kill move. But all pikas know the fthrow<dash<up-smash combo, so i dought up-smash would be fresh, but up-smash is one for pikachus fastest moves for the hitboxes to come out. and It is a great kill move if fresh

so bottom line. It really depends on your playing style for pika's "best kill move" If you use n-air for damage racking then it wont be your "best kill move" If you use it for killing then yeah, it would be.
Same does for every other kill move i listed up there. It really depends on the play style and the moves you use while racking up damage.

Frio

Smash Champion
How do you guys feel about Cping Halberg (lol spelling) against Snakes? I'm thinking sbout early thunder kills but then snake has his U tilt :/

Top Bottom