• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

altairian

Smash Lord
Hi !

I started pikachu 2 days ago and I have some questions .

1) I don't understand the term ' buffer' to do Chaingrabs . So , when I D-throw my opponent when should I press the grab button ?

2) For the F-throws chaingrabs , I F-throw my opponent and I start dashing when pikachu is grabbing ?

Sorry for my bad english x)

Thanks .
The term "buffer" refers to inputting a command before your current action ends, and that command will execute on the first frame possible after your current action ends. You have a 10 frame window (correct me if I'm wrong >_> ) to input a buffered command. For dthrow the window starts around the time pika starts to flip and ends when he lands on the ground (roughly), so that's when you need to hit the grab button to get your next grab off in time to continue the CG

For fthrow CG yes you dash in between throws, buffering is quite helpful for that as well.

bschung

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2981-6884-5065
Thank you greatly. Though really unusual, that really explains a lot. I wonder why it works once per match, i mean nothing else seems to work like that.

One thing, Gallax you mention that the up-thrower needs lowest port priority, while Prime you've tested it with the up-thrower in port 3 (with victim in port 2). I guess this means the port doesn't matter?

gallax

Smash Hero
the lowest port is 4 while port 1 is the highest. prime was using mk with the lowest port being three. the snake was in port two which meant the mk had port priority.

port does matter :)

Quicken The End

Smash Apprentice
Oh! Oh! Pick me!
I know that player 4/the player with higher(4 being highest) port slot is completely resistant to knock back. It's good for Snake because he could grab you over a nade or Mine and take no knock back, potentially killing you and himself.
Right? =D
Also, player 1 has highest grab priority and 4 has the least.

PK Slap

Smash Cadet
Does Pika have a CG against marth? The matchup thread says he does, but the CG confirmation thread says otherwise. If so, what is it?

jo3bro

Smash Rookie
I had a thread 4 this, I was told to come here so here I am =D #1 I need some tips on air control with pika, my opponents attacks always come out before mine and I can't undertand why. I don't think its cuz their attacking first
#2 also, I can kind of QAC, but I can't really use it. any suggestions? =)

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Does Pika have a CG against marth? The matchup thread says he does, but the CG confirmation thread says otherwise. If so, what is it?
Well, the chaingrab confirmation is solely talking about the buffered d-throw chaingrab and its setups--not the NORMAL chaingrabs (non-buffer d-throw> d-throw / f-throw>f-throw). As for marth, there's a small one: From 0% damage, f-throw to u-smash/maybe 1 more grab or d-throw > u-smash or equivalent speedy attack. It ONLY works one/two times max starting from near 0% damage (but hey... its against marth... ANYTHING will help... lol ^_^). I hope that clears some confusion. Even the above mentioned chains are borderline not true combos that can be DI'ed out of.

I had a thread 4 this, I was told to come here so here I am =D #1 I need some tips on air control with pika, my opponents attacks always come out before mine and I can't undertand why. I don't think its cuz their attacking first
#2 also, I can kind of QAC, but I can't really use it. any suggestions? =)
In the air, make sure you are clearly 'landing' the aerial attacks. Although pikachu's attacks are electric-based and are disjointed with some priority, Pikachu's attacks are still generally SHORT RANGED compared to most of the casts' b-airs and sword aerials. The main redeeming factor of Pikachu's aerials is that Pikachu can SPACE aerials well and FAST so that Pikachu either hits the opponent FIRST (WAY ahead of time before the opponent finishes pulling out an aerial) or even hits the opponent the INSTANT AFTER they are done with their aerial attack. Try doing f-airs while "falling down" on the opponent with either them on the ground or below you in the air--that should help you in the short run. More spacing skills and timing skills are required for equal-level aerial attacks (your opponnets are the same height as you are when you are jumping). B-airs are good when opponents are on a platform above you and will cripple their shield quite nicely. D-airs are good to peirce some grounded opponents' attacks (and good to send opponents offstage if you autocancel it). And U-air is your all-purpose juggling and screwup move against ANYONE slightly above you.

As for QaC, I suggest you just practice different ways of landing and moving with it (making sure you don't end with lag). Watch a few of ESAM, Anther's, or BKing's videos for effective QaC routes/techniques. I recently have a few matches where I pulled off some good QaC applications for different purposes--all in 2 matches!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOSQJDKn1jc ~ QaC damaging/mindgame with Jolts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW6_5j8meFc ~ QaC Finish

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Updated the OP.

Some of the FAQ answers were madd old, so I rewrote......... okay, so I rewrote pretty much all of them. x.o

Nobody's gonna read the OP anyway, but this way if too many people start repeating questions, you can just be lazy and quote the answer from the FAQ, lol.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Do pikachu's electric attacks do extra damage against squirtle? lol

I'll read the OP for you Kaylo :)
Unfortunately, no. :( He might get less damage and/or knockback from fire attacks (I read something about the fire/grass/water thing before), but electric isn't a part of that. Them cheaters!

And thanks, Jupz. <3

Jupz

Smash Master
D*** squirtle.

Pikachu boards are awesome lol :)

Also does the chaingrab from 0-52 work on MK? Because anther never uses it.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Also does the chaingrab from 0-52 work on MK? Because anther never uses it.
Afaik it does..... he's done it before. The problem is that getting a grab on MK can be hard if they know about the CG. He has a sword and can air camp easily, and you have to get him at ~0-10%.

Sometimes it's better to just play normally rather than potentially sacrifice smart play to go for a grab.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I have a question:

Is it possible to Dthrow-->footstool someone (or more than one) character(s) of the cast when playing as pikachu?

As I didnt see it listed in the CG confirmation thread as a follow up, and it doesnt take much frames, I think this may be a possibility, and as you guys know your character better than I do, I thought I'd ask it here.

Cause if it is a legit/inescapable follow up at certain percents on certain characters, pikachu will be able to Dthrow-->footstool--> QA-->hit the opponent once-->Cancel the QA-->Force standup-->Any attack you want.

or, even better:

Dthrow-->footstool-->Quick attack lock.

(or, offcourse, use another locking attack aerial pikachu might possess to lock the opponent when they bounce off of the ground to force a standup, but I'm not very familiar with which attacks in pikachu's moveset have a locking effect, though I remember reading somewhere, that pikachu's QA does lock.)

If this is old, then ah well, I tried : P

Zeallyx

Dthrow > uair > footstool is what works. Dunno if you can footstool right out of the dthrow.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238293
I see.
Can you help me test if pikachu's Dthrow-->footstool is inescapable on certain characters?

Because if it is inescapable, pikachu will gain some nifty combo's.

Like: Dthrow-->Footstool-->(single) QAlock-->Dsmash/or whichever move you like, except thunder, as I can imagine that move beeing too many frames to be inescapable, even after a forced standup. Not sure though.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
We've tested and it is confirmed. The Chaingrab confirmation thread is mainly about the buffered d-throw findings at the time.

The "normal" d-throw and f-throw confirmed followups (including d-throw to footstool > QA lock (single)> other things including extending the lock) are found in the Comprehensive Pikachu Guide (generating a win somewhere and it's information was originally posted by either ESAM/kprime or someone.

Zeallyx

We've tested and it is confirmed. The Chaingrab confirmation thread is mainly about the buffered d-throw findings at the time.

The "normal" d-throw and f-throw confirmed followups (including d-throw to footstool > QA lock (single)> other things including extending the lock) are found in the Comprehensive Pikachu Guide (generating a win somewhere and it's information was originally posted by either ESAM/kprime or someone.
Alright, thank you.
Please post pikachu's Dthrow in the thread I created on the tactical discussion board, so it'll get noted as a move that combo's into a footstool in my project, too.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Dthrow >Uair >Footstool doesn't really work too well. I only got that to work on MK and even then he can escape with an airdodge.

As for Dthrow>Footstool, that only works on Fox from what I tested before. You can 0-death fox with this: dthrow to ~90% > footstool > QA > Jab > Fsmash/Thunder :laugh:

Everyone else can either jump out or footstool you before you footstool them.

Frio

Smash Champion
This may sound kinda stupid but is there a certain way to do a double Horizontal Up B?

Jupz

Smash Master
No you can't. It has to be at least ~37 (I think) degrees away from the first direction you input.

However, if you're trying to do it across the stage, you can QA once across then go down diagonal and you will go across a little bit more and be able to QAC out of it :)

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
um... perfectly horizontal.. No. If you mean a 2 horizontal when recovering through the air/offstage, its impossible becuase the difference between angle of first QA and second QA must be greater than 21-something degrees apart (a little less than 1/16th a circle circumference).

You can create the ILLUSION of double horizontal up-b when you QaC along the ground of the stage (QaC totally right, and QaC diagonally down-right (you visually look like you move right QaC'ing 2 times.

There's only those 2 options. So yea. Hope that helps ^_^

EDit: Whoops ^he^ beat me to it... :p

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
So at 1:30 in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2uiVT2hJpw is anther just QaCing into the stage and doing another QaC?
well I do believe (being somewhat familiar with some of anther's playstyle), that he did QaC into the stage on that last one *look real closely... you'll agree ^_^*, tho I don't think it was for another QaC (since the startup lag is longer than if you were to just QA there and use the 2nd QaC to move away). Normally, you exit>rebuffer QaC while far away since you'll be safer rather than exiting>rebuffering in front of the enemy....

I feel that from that QaC into stage (assuming M2K didn't interrupt w/tornado) anther was either going to 1) jump>airdodge>more mindgames, 2) rising n-air>edgeguard, or 3) rising u-air>more mindgames.

Does that help any?

Frio

Smash Champion

well I do believe (being somewhat familiar with some of anther's playstyle), that he did QaC into the stage on that last one *look real closely... you'll agree ^_^*, tho I don't think it was for another QaC (since the startup lag is longer than if you were to just QA there and use the 2nd QaC to move away). Normally, you exit>rebuffer QaC while far away since you'll be safer rather than exiting>rebuffering in front of the enemy....

I feel that from that QaC into stage (assuming M2K didn't interrupt w/tornado) anther was either going to 1) jump>airdodge>more mindgames, 2) rising n-air>edgeguard, or 3) rising u-air>more mindgames.

Does that help any?
Yes, thanks a lot

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I really don't like snake's playstyle, and honestly, snake is looking like less and less of a character the more I look at him, while pikachu seems to be getting better and better.

Top Bottom