• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I don't see why you care whether or not I liked your advice. I mean, giving a general answer is good, but it sucks if you don't cover anything else.
Especially if you assumed that I know little to nothing about Pikachu vs Snake. You should go deeper in the advice you give when you assume something like that.

"Luigi Mu in a nutshell ?".

Do you not know what "In a nutshell" means ?

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Hello friends.
I appreciate the tag for my assistance, but don't forget about the report feature~

I culled the most recent posts and their replies.

*reopens thread*

Last edited:

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
Esam afraid of shayas marth lmao Dude i swear tin man entered your region and bodied everyone there XD.I know Tin man is stupidly good he was best in my region for a time so GL dealing with him. but i think its safe to say Esam is on the next level in contrast in terms of player skill and scoring results at nationals and the like. and poke is still trolling lmao best troll ever. Hes proably refering to when i fight his luigi which is why hes not being specific but trying to invoke a topic starter so yeah my main trouble with luigi is that i feel like he PSs stuff and just punishes me stupidly well for it. and his annoying stuff like Jab to Up B is just painful. projectiles dont really work cause Poke has good reaction time and PSs stuff to unholy levels where i can say he PSs better then a lot of pro players ive fought making the projectile/Zone game really really tough cause he will punish me hard and hes done a lot of stupid things before fighting me IE in PE he has grabbed me out of QA Running Nair and Skull bashes before on reaction in the middle of the match XD.

Ive fought other luigis of varying skill i find players closer to my skill really easy to beat in contrast to pokes luigi so i dont think im terrible at the MU. hes easily a couple steps ahead oh me in terms of skill reads and understanding the games mechanics and understanding things like when to punish and whats safe/conditioning and reading habits which makes it WAY harder cause he can use the difference in skill to break through my zoning and kill me early as heck and kinda control the space. i do mix up with grabs lots of Dtilts jolts and i really try abuse the mis timed smashes on block to abuse luigis slideness backwards to get the free shield pressure in. also comboing luigi seams to be neigh impossible. i like grabbing and hitting characters with strings out of grabs. Luigi has his @#@#ing stupidly annoying Nair which is faster and seams to just out right win against my aerial attacks making the follow ups really hard and his CQC game isnt something ive had terribly good luck challenging i find we have slightly better CQC in terms of options but his risk reward is a lot better cause he hits like a truck and isnt outclassed badly enough to lose the up close and personal brawl which makes me prefer to avoid it if possible. and obviously though out the match I get him to approach.

some questions what should i do if i get dashed attacked? what about out of grabs and any good ways to gimp him/kill him early/good kill setups?

and Esam also used Samus before PIkachu i remember hearing about his melee samus down in flordia. I cant wait for smash 4 though im really interested to try out the characters and see whos fun to use.

Angiance

Smash Lord
If you get dash attacked, our OoS Grab/N-Air will work well. His dash attack has multiple hits, so I'd assume it's easily DI'd and punished

To KO him, I'd say (although this is how I KO every character) D-Tilt him to push him into less area (around the edge), dash in and N-Air, or U-Tilt him into a crap position, then either thunder or ground trap him

If he goes offstage and didn't get KO'd, then shoot a FH T-Jolt to control the area, and go diagonally below him offstage and rising N-Air, or go diagonally below him and U-Air > Thunder. The offstage KOing requires a great deal of focus and precision, so you COULD just drop the idea and edgeguard normally, but if you want that KO it's worth a shot

Your friend's skill seems to far outshine his character, definitely a different kind of thing to deal with...in some cases, it's not even the character you have to worry about, it's the PLAYER you have to worry about...in which case, you'd just have to increase your skill as a player; sharpen your fighting skills, rather than obtaining more knowledge

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I play Luigi because I like his jab.

Also that Uair -> Thunder if you go below me, actually sounds pretty scary.

And SDi behind Luigi when he Dash Attacks.

Luigi goes forward you go backward, should get an Fsmash off.

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
I actually do NOT recommend F-Smash as an attack to be used while the opponent is neutral, it's lag is just too punishable. F-Smash is best used as a ground trap, or for edgeguarding

Player -0

Smash Hero
1PokeMastr meant that when the Luigi dash attacks you should SDI behind him and then F-Smash. I think I agree with this, Luigi's Dash Attack is terrible. You can always just shield all the hits and shield grab. You MIGHT be able to do an Up-Smash OoS. Of course you can just walk away while he dash attacks but keep close before doing whatever when he's in the endlag.

Pretty much if Luigi dash attacks you should be punishing him because it sucks, that's my opinion.

For Luigi's Nair you just have to bait it out and then punish from there. For example (I might not be buffering right but I doubt) if you Down Throw you might want to hold shield and expect the Luigi to Nair so you can regrab. The Luigi can jump away once he picks up on it so it's a 50/50 though.

When you're playing him (assuming this isn't tournament), don't pick the best/usual option that you usually do. Instead try something else and see if it works. If he's PSing your stuff you might be able to assume he's reading what you're going to do. So it's probably a player thing.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Yeah, just SDi behind and Fsmash.
But at higher percents (Around 40-50% on Pikachu) Luigi's dash attack has some kbg making the hold shield null and void, although I'm sure you can Di down during and block it regardless.
The guy above me is right about the Nair thing, It's usually only done when the Luigi knows that the Pikachu will try some form of attack that isn't guaranteed on Luigi.

Also because I'm the Luigi Helldew is talking about.
Personally..

I like to either.. short hop over the Jolts, Jab them, F-Tilt, Fireball them, Ps them.

And sometimes I just feel lazy and just take the hit.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
You're welcome.

One day ESAM will return, once he trains hard enough so he no longer fears vsing my Marth.
Haha, Marth? Excuse me Ms. Moderator but that is so several years ago. Marth is no longer considered such a terrible MU. And in Esam's case especially, he poops on Marth players who have made a bigger name for themselves than you have. No offense, of course.

Last edited:

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I've returned multiple times, Angiance and the temper in here is just dumb and I don't really want to explain top level advice for people that will just be like BUT T-JOLT ISN'T THAT GOOD

So yeah, I"m reading stuff and just ignoring it

<3 Shaya. Everybody stop insulting him, it's an inside joke. Scrubs.

Against luigi...just camp. T-jolt a lot. When he jumps, shield. IF he is on the ground, d-tilt. Pretty simple. You WILL lose in CQC.

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
Wow, ESAM, that first statement translated to "I'm lazy." That's alright though, take your time *smile*

Okay, should I be using SH F-Air as an approach method; is it still legitimate?

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Oh God, ESAM just doesn't bother with stupidity. He doesn't want to get involved with everyone's idiocy contest is all.

But ESAM bringing back the Samus in smash 4! Can't wait to see it!

I think the pika thread is becoming the most overly dramatic thread recently. As amusing as it is to see you all bickering, questions will be answered faster and more efficiently if you just ANSWER it instead of saying "Oh, well, I don't get what you're asking". Answer it or don't answer and if your answer isn't what they're looking for, they can let you know that in a civilized manner.

Other than that, would anyone like to try asking a question and getting an answer without any trouble? Now's the time; go for it.

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Now that I think about it, you can actually do it with 2 badminton rackets.. because I just checked.

As for Pikachu's Fair approach, I see it only being beneficial if you retreat it at the same time, making it hard to punish from certain characters.

Angiance

Smash Lord
I've always felt like SH F-Air was extremely effective on tall characters, but I'm wondering about how punishable it is if it's shielded

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Do you guys know the power of full hop rising retreating aerials timing fair for multiple hits at the top right (or left) corners of their shield? Then you're all like high in the sky, and shoot tjolts or react and jump again from them trying to punish you with an aerial and BANG whollop to the face.

Thor

Smash Champion
Holy crap this thread moved fast... Not sure all these quotes (Except the first) are entirely accurate, but... it responds to stuff.

1Pokemastr said:
I quite enjoy being an idiot
Good to see you enjoy being you. Can't change what you're stuck with. [This is a joke.]

1Pokemastr said:
Luigi MU in a nutshell
Don't get sweetspot up+b or fsmashed. Nothing else is a problem except usmash. Our fsmash is safe on non-powershield.

hell-dew said:
dealing with Luigi dash attack
Fun fact: this attack is total garbage, but people don't know it. Hold down and hold the shield button, you'll eventually powershield one of the hits and shield the rest, and this attack has terrible in-shield pushback. OoS anything after the lag, probably can shield-grab him too.

ESAM said:
I'm a Samus main
I always figured you as an ICs main -

Angiance said:
you traitor
Maining Samus is not traitorous (in case you don't remember, she rescued Pikachu from this power-sucking device. And Samus is actually pretty cool). That'd be like calling him a traitor for saying Peach or Ness are his mains. Maining ICs is traitorous (for literally every character main except MK).

Shaya said:
Report button
I can see why Player -0 didn't use it, as I've reported stuff in other threads that's total garbage to no avail.

Player -0 said:
*gets mods in here*
Kudos to you for keeping the forum on track. You get a "Like."

ESAM said:
the people in here are idiots who say BUT T-JOLT ISN'T THAT GOOD *this quote is way off but whatever*
Then just ignore Angiance.

Shaya said:
Do you guys know the power of full hop rising retreating aerials timing fair for multiple hits at the top right (or left) corners of their shield? Then you're all like high in the sky, and shoot tjolts or react and jump again from them trying to punish you with an aerial and BANG whollop to the face.
You're terrible, you just want to up+b or fair us OoS. Marth mains thinking Pikachu should be even easier...

M15tr 3 said:
Very, if you don't FF and retreat out of grabbing range.
Actually, if you FF SH fair at the wrong time it doesn't autocancel... I don't know exact frame data though so this might still be safer than not fastfalling and getting the autocancel. You should retreat out of grab range, unless facing Marth, then MAYBE try to make sure you're still inside fsmash range so that he can't tipper you unless you're already in KO percents for non-tippered - incidentally this may leave you open to dsmash, which is why I heavily emphasize the maybe. I'm pretty sure we can't retreat far enough if we've already hit his shield with SH fair to escape fsmash range, maybe Shaya or someone testing it could chip in.

1Pokemastr said:
*random question*
Hey, Shaya-

Ookami Hajime said:
ask any question w/ no trouble
Ooh, you're good. You get a "Like" too. Never mind Shaya, everything's cool here.

Incidentally, how useful an option is RAR uair? I feel like it has some utility, especially if I'm expecting my opponent to jump at me with an attack, but I feel like fair has higher utility overall...

Also, advice for dealing with Wario? I feel like we went over his grab release options earlier but I forgot them (or else that was Ness where we get grab release usmash) and I only remember grab release nair... details on that and dealing with Wario in general would be appreciated (specifically how much I should worry about Waft and how to deal with his rather obnoxious air camping).

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
RAR U-Air is definitely a great mix, as it'll give us a N-Air, or a feint; footstool maybe? Just don't overuse it pika

From a grab release you can F-Smash I believe

For Waft I suggest paying attention to the timer so as to avoid a semi-full charge, since it has more knockback (but deals less percent) than a full charge

Our SH/FH F-Air can poke Wario out real good, don't abuse it of course

Anymore aspects you want to talk about?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I always approach with Rar Uair or just use reverse Uair in CQC crossup stuffs around 40-50%(Light characters) so I can foot stool -> quick attack -> jab lock to edge of stage -> thunder.

Air release on Wario is..
Nair, Fair, Usmash, Dair, U-Tilt, Bair, Uair

For the Usmash, you can actually charge it a bit before Wario can jump/ air dodge.

After 1 minute and 25 seconds pass and depending on your percent, if you're anywhere between 40-60% and you're closer to one edge of the stage than the other, pay attention to Wario trying to weave in with a possible waft from the usual approaches/ shield pressure he does, or with your recovery/ planking (mix it up)

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
@ Thor Thor : RAR u-air is amazing times a thousand so long as it isn't used a primary option.

Wario. Oh God, Wario. Grab release can lead into u-smash, n-air, and reverse u-air. Edit: All aerials.
Dealing with wario is a continuous, annoying footsie game. F-air and grabs are really helpful, but Warios are really defensive so you're very prone to getting shield grabbed if you approach the same way every time. Lots of tilts! You can also run under him when he jumps and u-air/n-air. Jolts are annoying too

Don't fear waft. Personally, though it seems stupid, I get much more in-my-opponents-face when they have a dangerous move loaded. G&W bucket, Wario Waft, etc, I tend to get as close as possible to bait them into using it. Be weary of it, but know that the longer you let them hold onto it, the longer you have to play less agressively than usual.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Does someone have hitbox videos for uair (and I guess other moves)? I always just feel like it has next to know horizontal range (like as much range as dair...) so I use it primarly as an anti-air and a juggler, but I don't really use it for horizontal approaches... if someone knows where hitbox videos are maybe I could convince myself it has more range.

Also Ookami, that sounds like exactly what I do when I'm north of like 135% against ICs, because they'll KO me with a smash anyway - I'm not bothered by a grab at those percents (except last stock of course). Thanks for the advice.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Also Ookami, that sounds like exactly what I do when I'm north of like 135% against ICs, because they'll KO me with a smash anyway - I'm not bothered by a grab at those percents (except last stock of course). Thanks for the advice.
No problem. Haha, I don't generally mess around with ICs; I ditto them most of the time. If you're interested, we've uploaded more matches on the channel from a tournament as well as some matches at home.

Angiance

Smash Lord
U-Air has very little horizontal range, but has speed to make up for it; U-Air, frame wise (priority wise at times), will beat the opponent's attack-ESPECIALLY in the air

It's fine to approach with a SH, tail towards the opponent, and U-Air as you are in the air since it'll come out on frame 3. Use this just to poke them and retreat

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Warning Received
.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot.Dot..................Dot.Dot

Last edited:
Top Bottom