• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Angiance

Smash Lord
Well, if anybody has questions about ANYTHING Brawl-Pikachu related, they should ask here; they'll get up-to-date info after all, since it's live(ish)

Last edited:

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I mean I'm personally not a fan of SV vs MK, I doubt it's a MU thing, I just don't like the platform.

Angiance

Smash Lord
The way I see any fighter, Thor (MU wise) is this; it's just a matter of knowing YOUR character. If you know YOUR character down to the atoms, then the MU doesn't really matter (in my experience)...unless it's like, overkill (CF vs Pika)

Last edited:

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You're actually completely incorrect...the reason there are "match-ups" is because of the difficulty of playing against that character considering both character's strengths and weaknesses...to say knowing your character mitigates their advantages/disadvantages is silly.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Nobody has to cry anymore. While I know y'all missed me, I'm back. You're welcome lol

Angiance, you can know your character 100% but it's almost more important to know your opponents character. Many characters force you to change your style of play a bit so knowing your character, as immensely important as it is, needs to be balanced with your knowledge of the MU.

Angiance

Smash Lord
I'm gonna try and make it to a tourney tomorrow, I must ask this again

U-Smash, it's gotten me punished most of the times I tried KOing with it, which led to me relying on U-Tilt, N-Air, and F-Tilt; at times, I'd use T2

Thor

Smash Champion
ESAM said:
You're actually completely incorrect...the reason there are "match-ups" is because of the difficulty of playing against that character considering both character's strengths and weaknesses...to say knowing your character mitigates their advantages/disadvantages is silly.
TOTALLY agree - Angiance, your idea seems fine and dandy until you play a Peach... or some other character I guess, but the movement is radically different for Peach given her float game and how she can get off the ledge meaning if you don't know how she gets off the ledge (some sort of "lift" thing I saw in a couple videos) then you'll end up hitting her shield at least a couple times and eating punishment. Also her float can mess you up because she can float over most of our ground game (Except maybe weak usmash and utilt) and still dair us (although if they're too high we can possibly crouch). This is a very basic example but I think you get the point, at least sort of.

You can feel free to keep your opinion but I don't think many people will agree with you...

Usmash should be a KO option on at the very least RCO lag when they recover (like Marth). If your usmash is too predictable (you feel), save it for those RCO lag/helpless situations of your opponent, and for game 2-5 (however far a set goes) last stock KOs, because they *might* see it coming, but as you've not used smashes apparently, they won't.

Also fsmash is good for punishing RCO if you don't KO with it (given your list) and it's faster than T2 [although people do go "what the-" when you just straight-up Thunder on stage...] (unless fsmash is a spacer for you, then whatever). And one good trick for each set [if they're someone random] - check their SDI by dsmashing early in the match. If they don't SDI, try again, and if it happens like 3 times in the match, well, you have a high-speed, high-knockback KO move where missed DI lets you KO with Thunder at like 70% (lon MK, higher on most characters). Obviously if they get coaching after the match then this doesn't work, but it can make KOing almost laughably easy, even when it's stale, and it can combo from a fair that you land while in the middle of.

Also, question: Any tips for dealing with Marth fair (especially SH fair where Marth falls away after the fair), or a place where it's been hashed out? I won a school tournament, where most people were really free (In at least one match I told my opponent to pick my character for me and any stage they wanted... and I still 2-stocked them - and he beat a couple different people there...), but this Marth actually sort of knew what he was doing and his fair was so annoying (I still beat him solidly in GFs with only Pikachu, but...). I've also faced a better Marth that forced my Falco out (I'm a little more comfortable with approaching in that MU), so advice would be appreciated. [I mainly tried to shield and dash/shield grab, an aerial, or else just waited in the hopes that he wouldn't fall as far back next time.]

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Shield drop -> Dash Usmash is a good way to get kills if they person has a punishable laggy move that hits your shield.

Like Marth Fsmash, Falco Usmash, Mk Dsmash, Getup attacks, etc.

If you get a read, it's good too.

How do I deal with the Snake Mu ?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Also, question: Any tips for dealing with Marth fair (especially SH fair where Marth falls away after the fair), or a place where it's been hashed out?
It took me too long to realize this but the match-up becomes much easier once you learn that you can easily bait his fair since fair is usually the majority of marth's game. If you powershield the fair you have so many options at that point that it's bound to make the Marth player sweat.
How do I deal with the Snake Mu ?
Aggro really, really hard. Snake is strong but very slow. Never forget about your CGs on him and refrain from jumping overhead of him due to his nasty u-tilt. And, as always, powershield what you can and attack when you do. Watch some Esam vs Snake videos.

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Your advice is way too general to be any REAL help, it's literally common knowledge to block moves and punish them, also common knowledge to use the CG when possible.

And Snake isn't slow at all, maybe his fsmash which shouldn't be used, but that's it.
Also the video comment isn't helpful either, I know enough to watch videos.

What I'm interested in is jugging him, trapping his landings, covering his get up options.
Not the obvious answers anyone with a brain can figure out just by looking at the screen.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Your advice is way too general to be any REAL help, it's literally common knowledge to block moves and punish them, also common knowledge to use the CG when possible.

What I'm interested in is jugging him, trapping his landings, covering his get up options.
Not the obvious answers anyone with a brain can figure out just by looking at the screen.
Jolts obviously and run up shield/Spot dodge are good options against snake because a lot of snakes will impulsively u-tilt or f-tilt when someone runs at them; Free grab.
Follow him along the ground as he falls and be aware of the b-reverse 'nade for him to get safely to the ground. Annoy him enough with u-airs and bait him to throw out an attack to punish; snake's aerials aren't that great for hitting someone under him, other than b-air. Juggle with backward u-air and stay in front of him in the air and there's not much he can do to you.
Do you have any specific questions?

Thor

Smash Champion
Also, 1Pokemastr, if you're struggling with Snake using aggressive play, just camp (Snake shouldn't really be trying to be aggressive or grabbing him isn't that difficult - also smart Snakes usually fear the CG at least a little). We can catch his grenades and throw them back, unless he's cooking them all perfectly or properly shield-dropping his grenades as we catch them, but all he can do is powershield jolts (if he hops over them, you can slowly approach (weaving in and out and whatever) and then nail him for hopping a jolt when you're close enough, since his aerials all suck for landing from single jumps). As a result, we can do stuff with his grenades, but he can't do stuff to us with t-jolts. We can also glide-toss his grenades - he can't (oh gawd, Snake with a glide toss...glide toss into utilt? Ew.)

ESAM (or someone else) can fact-check me here, but I think dtilt outranges his utilt, ftilt, and jab, so it's good for close quarters (I think his dtilt beats ours, but most Snakes don't dtilt much).

Thor

Smash Champion
That would explain my confusion. I'm used to somwhat longer glide tosses, like Pikachu's and Luigi's and ZSS's. Must've just never noticed Snake's since it's not that long range.

That said, I'm pretty sure our glide toss beats his... and even if it doesn't, we can still just counter-camp if we're good enough at avoiding the grenade explosions off cooked grenades (our jolts should mess up his timing so he can't cook/shield-drop them perfectly, or else he's powershielding at the same time he needs to drop the grenade which just means a different t-jolt timing will mess him up or leave him airborne so you can strike).

Last edited:

PZ

Smash Lord
Snake can glide toss, MVD does it.
The jump cancelled or roll cancelled version? Some/very few characters have longer jump cancelled glide tosses.
Ex. Falcon has no distance gain from glide tossing via roll but from a jump he achieves mid distance.
This probably has no meaning in the discussion but i am curious of how snake players normally do it because the difference is very small.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Falcon also has a Snake length glide toss
I've done it before.

JCTossing is cools.
But I'm pretty sure the only characters who can't GT are Sheik/ TLink/ Link/ Bowser/ Charizard.

I'm fairly certain everyone else can, to some degree.

Thor

Smash Champion
I found a chart. Characters who can't are (According to the chart): Bowser, Jigglypuff, King Dedede, Kirby, Link, Sheik, Toon Link, Yoshi.

Charizard apparently can, but only certain directions (and a very small distance).

Apparently the longest toss is to have Luigi roll backward while throwing the item backward (so you move opposite the direction you were facing throwing the item opposite the direction you started facing). Not sure if that's useful.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Snake you can play a mixture of campy or aggressive. The main point of the MU is avoiding grenades. Whether you do this offensively or defensively is your choice, Pikachu has the options. You will want to get Snake in a juggle situation and start spacing uairs and baiting aerials. Obviously the CG is really good and a lot of damage which also sets up for an edgeguard potential. Look up me vs any snake to really see how to play the MU, although I haven't learned anything NEW about the MU in like 2 years...

Angiance

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, I played a snake in-tourney. I feel like it's a bad MU for Snake, even without the CG

Hey, ESAM, aren't you gonna migrate to Smash 4 and main Pika?

Thor

Smash Champion
Angiance said:
I feel like it's a bad MU for Snake, even without the CG
Eh, maybe... like, maybe it's -1, but the CG is kind of why it makes it -2, or else Snake wouldn't have to be nearly as grab-safe given that we don't have real KOs throws on him... also he kills us about 1.3X as fast if we're not gimping him (we die at like 110%, he dies around 140% if we're fortunate).

That said, I do agree that it's not favorable to Snake even if we don't use the CG.

I think a lot of people will move to Smash 4 (unless it's terrible, most people will probably guess that it's "better" because no tripping and a character more polarizing than Meta Knight seems unlikely), which diminishes my chances of ever finding more people to play with Brawl with further... nuts.

Tips for dealing with MK dtilt and ftilt? I know fsmash outranges them both, but dtilt crawling... do we just jump away tjolt them for it?

Also I read somewhere we can wavebounce t-jolts, not just b-reverse them/turn around b... is this worth learning at some point (Still need better QAC, but should I add this to the list)?

Player -0

Smash Hero
If you can B-Reverse and Turnaround B a neutral special you can wavebounce it.

Wavebouncing = Turnaround B then B-Reverse the Turnaround B.

The purpose of it is to reverse your momentum while still facing the same way. You can do it forwards and backwards.

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
I've said before that Pikachu actually has the > capability < to survive at ridiculous damage, due to the high evasion/swift attack rate

MK's tilts are fairly incredible, but have that transcendent property, and lack vertical range (except the third hitbox of F-Tilt): if you can predict it, dash into his range and shield, then OoS a SH N-Air, Grab or JC U-Smash; FH T-Jolt can counter both tilts of course

QAC can take days to perfect, it took me a straight 4-5 hours a day

Thor

Smash Champion
Player -0 said:
If you can B-Reverse and Turnaround B a neutral special you can wavebounce it.
Oh I only turnaround b them (I didn't quite write my last post right in that regard). Is it worth learning b-reverse and wavebounced t-jolt or does it ultimately not help our camping game much? I don't think I see ESAM do it a lot... (or someone show me a link where he uses this some, I just don't recall ever seeing it). Actually I only really can think of times when Trela's wavebounced Aura Spheres (because Trela is [was, since I think life got in his way] awesome) and Lucas wavebouncing random stuff for recovery...

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Oh I only turnaround b them (I didn't quite write my last post right in that regard). Is it worth learning b-reverse and wavebounced t-jolt or does it ultimately not help our camping game much? I don't think I see ESAM do it a lot... (or someone show me a link where he uses this some, I just don't recall ever seeing it). Actually I only really can think of times when Trela's wavebounced Aura Spheres (because Trela is [was, since I think life got in his way] awesome) and Lucas wavebouncing random stuff for recovery...
If you wanted to do something like:
Dash Away -> Jump Facing away, still drifting away from opponent -> B-Reverse Jolt. You could do that

Or if you're in the air drifting right and your opponent is below you maybe a wavebounce jolt to reverse the momentum while sending a projectile at the dude setting up to hit you.

I've said before that Pikachu actually has the > capability < to survive at ridiculous damage, due to the high evasion/swift attack rate

MK's tilts are fairly incredible, but have that transcendent property, and lack vertical range (except the third hitbox of F-Tilt): if you can predict it, dash into his range and shield, then OoS a SH N-Air, Grab or JC U-Smash; FH T-Jolt can counter both tilts of course

QAC can take days to perfect, it took me a straight 4-5 hours a day
MK's shouldn't/won't be using third hit of F-Tilt unless they hit the first 2/know it's going to hit. MK's usually D-Tilt/F-Tilt into retreating Fair if you try to approach anyway.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I am quite certain I asked a question, and in response to the second half.

I quite enjoy being an idiot, it brings some form of fun to my tastes.

Now then!

What are some proper/ effective planking methods with the yellow mouse ?

Angiance

Smash Lord
Well, your tastes are quite sour then...

Now, keep in mind that we get off of the ledge 10 frames faster then other characters, while also having (if I'm recalling correctly) less invincibility frames. Effective planking for us consists of tilting back on the joystick to drop down, then QAing up to snap the ledge, but we can also tilt back to drop off, then IMMEDIATELY Skull Bash to snap the ledge; however, the Skull Bash method doesn't work on every stage

I highly recommend the QA method, since the opponent can't really edge hog it (if they grab the ledge while we're below the stage, we can simply QA up then diagonally down onto the stage, and we don't even have to be that high above the stage [like SH height] from the upwards QA for the diagonal QA to glide back onstage)

I'm sorry that I don't have an example

Questions?

Last edited:

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
best planking method = fall off uair to QA. OR you fall off uair and if you think they are going to grab ledge or mess with you just do another uair.

Also, Samus is my main ***** so I'ma try her first.

Last edited:

M15t3R E

Smash Master

And Snake isn't slow at all, maybe his fsmash which shouldn't be used, but that's it.
Also the video comment isn't helpful either, I know enough to watch videos.

Did you really have to type 2 paragraphs to explain that my advice sucks? I stated that you should aim to powershield his attacks especially up close and utilize the CGs and how to avoid his notorious u-tilt. Others here reiterated some of the points I made and you took no issue with it. Yes, my advice wasn't as full and informative as I'd usually make it but as I recall I was in a rush. I have had plenty of thanks in the past from other boards for teaching them about Pikachu and this board about other characters, some of it posted on my visitor page. Be thankful for all your feedback. My one regret is not mentioning how effectively Snake can be juggled. The juggling move of choice, of course, is the u-air.

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
Blah-blah-blah, ask questions already...

You're using Samus, eh? You traitor you; you'll never be forgiven. It looked as though Sammy has a few new moves though. I bet you'd be pissy if she turns out to be badly designed again, BUT if Sakurai actually takes advantage of online updates...

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Yes, I took two paragraphs to explain why I don't like general advice, then proceeded to ignore the rest of the general advice.

Luigi Mu in a nutshell ? Go!

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Yes, I took two paragraphs to explain why I don't like general advice, then proceeded to ignore the rest of the general advice.

Luigi Mu in a nutshell ? Go!
I and others were speaking about the Pikachu vs. Snake MU from the perspective that you know little to nothing about it because you didn't ask about a particular aspect within the MU until after advice was given. In contrast, Thor asked about a particular aspect in a particular MU and therefore got a specific answer.

Angiance

Smash Lord
SHUT UP THE IDIOCY YOU NANCIES

1Pokemastr, be very specific; WHAT exactly is it that you're needing assistance with against Luigi?

Top Bottom