• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

M15t3R E

Smash Master
my only solution to that (btw i hate RC so it throws me off too lol) is to throw in the lylat or castle seige. i love these stages but people hate it. don't know why. and they are starter stages so it seems like people disregard them because they aren't the main three stages people choose
Could work. I still like Frigate and PS1 the most.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
i'm just giving you ideas but really its preference and confidence. hope it works out for you though :pikachu:
Same to you. I am considering throwing my hat into the ring once again. I am a busy guy at this stage in my life but I do have some downtime for the timebeing.
I've been out of the scene for a while but never stopped playing brawl. I figure my playstyle is similar to ESAM's these days so I might have a shot.
All I'd like now is some more MK match-up experience.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Never EVER EVER EVER EVER take Diddy to SV or FD. SV is Diddy players' best stage. FD is Diddy's best stage, and neither of them are good for Pikachu in the MU unless you have RIDICULOUS item control (which, face it, no Pikachu has ESPECIALLY with his lackluster item throws). Assuming Apex stagelist, take Diddy to Frigate. If he bans it, Yoshi's. The key to the MU is fair, so Diddy camping under a platform isn't bad for you since you can just fair and it will go through pretty much everything (And it catches bananas VERY well). If you don't like Yoshis, BF is a decent choice considering the platforms make it difficult for Diddy to combo you if it starts under there. PS1 is normally a Diddy's CP assuming they can't go back to SV or go to FD, so don't take them there either. Lylat is meh becuase you can't get outside pressure with T-jolts well because of the platforms, but he can't really get you in landing traps as easily.

For Olimar...*shrugs*

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
At what about % does a fresh landing fair start to become safe on hit? And, if the response to this question is different from the last, at what % is it safe to go for stuff like landing fair --> utilt/ftilt/grab/nair/dsmash?

Edit: I ask because I was playing a friend a few days ago (he was Marth) and I noticed that if I went for fair --> grab at low %s, he would uair (yes uair, not upB) me instead.

Edit 2: Also, does Pikachu have any options to force resets (or 'jab lock') at low %s, other than QA? I know jab won't work til about 60-70ish...I imagine sourspot nair and aerial tjolts work at low %s, but what about like ftilt/dtilt/dash attack? Do they work, and when?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
So I practiced the quick attack lock (QAL) for the first time using the footstool method and I was very successful in a matter of 10 minutes, so I continued trying it on different characters. Is it just me, or is this QAL different depending on your opponent's character? It seems the Uair needs to be placed differently depending on who you are fighting.

Angiance

Smash Lord
At what about % does a fresh landing fair start to become safe on hit? And, if the response to this question is different from the last, at what % is it safe to go for stuff like landing fair --> utilt/ftilt/grab/nair/dsmash?

Edit: I ask because I was playing a friend a few days ago (he was Marth) and I noticed that if I went for fair --> grab at low %s, he would uair (yes uair, not upB) me instead.

Edit 2: Also, does Pikachu have any options to force resets (or 'jab lock') at low %s, other than QA? I know jab won't work til about 60-70ish...I imagine sourspot nair and aerial tjolts work at low %s, but what about like ftilt/dtilt/dash attack? Do they work, and when?
FF-F-Air can be SDIed and punished, FF-F-Air > Shield helps with that though

Retreat N-Air can reset at low %s

What does anyone think of B-Air as a means of getting back onstage?
ex. SH offstage evasively, with Chu's back towards the stage, DJ B-Air from a low position

Also, D-Tilt seems best used as a baiting move because of it's range, low cooldown, and backwards momentum; what does anyone think?

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
I don't really see the usefulness in jumping off the stage just to b-air back onto it, high risk low reward imo.

I do see how d-tilt can be used as a baiting option because of the reasons you said. I actually need to use d-tilt in my game more, one of our best spacing tools and I completely forget about it at times -_-

And what exactly do you guys mean by "forcing a reset"?

FourStar

Smash Ace
so what are pikachu's weakest stage overall? cuz to me it seems like pika doesn't have bad stages. and this is overall not just against a certain character

Angiance

Smash Lord
I don't really see the usefulness in jumping off the stage just to b-air back onto it, high risk low reward imo.

I do see how d-tilt can be used as a baiting option because of the reasons you said. I actually need to use d-tilt in my game more, one of our best spacing tools and I completely forget about it at times -_-

And what exactly do you guys mean by "forcing a reset"?
Well, if Chu has to go offstage to avoid something, B-Air can be a decent mixup to get back onstage given it's 8 hitboxes and backwards momentum

Forcing a reset: hit the reset button on the Wii

Chu's worst stage is Brinstar

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
so what are pikachu's weakest stage overall? cuz to me it seems like pika doesn't have bad stages. and this is overall not just against a certain character
Yeah our worst stage is Brinstar, but seeing how it's banned at almost all tournaments it really isn't relevant anymore. Personally I think Yoshis is our worst stage (once again, besides Brinstar) just because it's an awkward stage for us with the slopes and the different angles of the platform and whatnot.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
FF-F-Air can be SDIed and punished, FF-F-Air > Shield helps with that though

Retreat N-Air can reset at low %s

What does anyone think of B-Air as a means of getting back onstage?
ex. SH offstage evasively, with Chu's back towards the stage, DJ B-Air from a low position

Also, D-Tilt seems best used as a baiting move because of it's range, low cooldown, and backwards momentum; what does anyone think?
Someone else already put it best. Bair used to get back on-stage is too much risk, too little reward. I for one am perfectly able and comfortable to ledge play all day long. All of Pikachu's aerials can be employed well if the opponent is hogging that edge waiting for you to pop up... all except for Bair. Don't use Bair for that.
D-tilt is great for spacing. I typically use it as my "GTFO" move when the opponent thinks he can attack me before I can attack him, e.g. Marth in range to smack me with a forward smash.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Like, Chu can walk off the edge, then quickly (tail towards the stage) DJ B-Air back on at the opponent's feet-sort of hugging the ledge as he's rising...seems like a functional mix-up (coming from the world's most offensive Chu)

D-Tilt for that? Wouldn't it be better to SH backwards/Shield and punish?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Yeah I think d-smash is better suited as a GTFO move than d-tilt. I like d-tilt more for spacing/fishing for a trip
Yes, I agree. But against opponents who know how to space you, they will more likely be standing within range of your D-tilt than D-smash. That is what I meant.
Like, Chu can walk off the edge, then quickly (tail towards the stage) DJ B-Air back on at the opponent's feet-sort of hugging the ledge as he's rising...seems like a functional mix-up (coming from the world's most offensive Chu)

D-Tilt for that? Wouldn't it be better to SH backwards/Shield and punish?
I just had time to test the off-stage Bar in the manner you described and yes, that works as long as you do not land on the stage. If you do, the opponent will capitalize on your enormous move lag even after being hit by it. I'm sure we have all done this before, but in this situation I more often use a backwards Dair. SH backwards and trying to punish can be too slow depending on their move's lag. I usually spot dodge and punish after a good read.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Yes, I agree. But against opponents who know how to space you, they will more likely be standing within range of your D-tilt than D-smash. That is what I meant.

I just had time to test the off-stage Bar in the manner you described and yes, that works as long as you do not land on the stage. If you do, the opponent will capitalize on your enormous move lag even after being hit by it. I'm sure we have all done this before, but in this situation I more often use a backwards Dair. SH backwards and trying to punish can be too slow depending on their move's lag. I usually spot dodge and punish after a good read.
SH backwards a bit as bait, then F-Air forwards (if they take the bait, it takes quick reactions); AD > shield > OoS option if you have to

Yeah I think d-smash is better suited as a GTFO move than d-tilt. I like d-tilt more for spacing/fishing for a trip
If the opponent is floating around Chu, throw out U-Tilt: setup, anti-air, etc.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend

It's safe around 0, 10 at most. However, "safe" = frame disadvantage at maximum of your opponents fastest move, so it can still be minus on hit. Fair starts comboing at like 50-60, but DI/SDI can definitely make certain combos more difficult/impossible (I almost never fair grab). You can jab at low %s to force a super quick get-up, more like the Melee jab reset than the Brawl Jab lock. D-tilt also works. D-tilt works from like 0-25, jab, depending on character, starts like 55-65, and those are the reliable ones that you can actually do something after.

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
So is Halberd a Good stage to take Olimar?
Apparently according to the Olimar boards against us FD is their worst neutral while BF is their best because the platforms help Olimar out a lot. They also really like Lylat and Yoshi's, Lylat in particular because they can pull more yellows there. For Halberd, they actually like it because of the low ceiling, but we benefit from that as well. For some reason they think that Halberd is the best CP against us, I'm not sure exactly why because I know very little about Olimar...

If I had to CP I would go with FD if they don't ban it and if they do probably take them to SV or PS1 personally.

MaPow

Smash Apprentice
So I just started playing brawl again after a couple months of playing just melee because i thought that i should just play both. I love playing pika, my best char by far. So my friends and i are trying to get better at brawl. We used to be decent (meaning i know most all of the terminology and basic pika things like Uair combos, the Chaingrab, Fair->grab/fsmash, and tbolting to get a good approach). So how or what should i practice when i play? Both alone and with people?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
SH backwards a bit as bait, then F-Air forwards (if they take the bait, it takes quick reactions); AD > shield > OoS option if you have to
My reaction time would be more than enough to shield grab that strategy, just saying. I might SH backwards and D-tilt, though.

If the opponent is floating around Chu, throw out U-Tilt: setup, anti-air, etc.
That is something unrelated entirely. I use U-tilts to set the opponent up for failure whenever at all possible. Ever do a 5 Uair string into a Nair KO? So satisfying. Then again I've done several Uairs, fair, more Uairs and Nair but it's probably because my opponent at the time was not great.

So I just started playing brawl again after a couple months of playing just melee because i thought that i should just play both. I love playing pika, my best char by far. So my friends and i are trying to get better at brawl. We used to be decent (meaning i know most all of the terminology and basic pika things like Uair combos, the Chaingrab, Fair->grab/fsmash, and tbolting to get a good approach). So how or what should i practice when i play? Both alone and with people?
Practice on your approaches, then combos, then edgeguarding and ATs. View our technical Pikachu guide on this sub-forum.

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
Do any of you guys ever practice on wifi? I've heard mixed opinions on whether it can be good practice or if it hurts more than it helps. I'm really just looking for someone to look at my Pika and give me some tips on things I could be doing better and any bad habits I may be getting into

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Do any of you guys ever practice on wifi? I've heard mixed opinions on whether it can be good practice or if it hurts more than it helps. I'm really just looking for someone to look at my Pika and give me some tips on things I could be doing better and any bad habits I may be getting into
Sure, to get the basics down you should try wifi but just know it will only help you to an extent. Do you have some friends to play with in real life?

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
Sure, to get the basics down you should try wifi but just know it will only help you to an extent. Do you have some friends to play with in real life?
I only really have one person near me who also actually takes the game seriously so I play him a lot, but I'm beginning to realize that playing only one person too much can be detrimental because you begin reacting to their habits and forming some bad habits of your own that may be effective against that one player but not so much on some of the top players.

I'm not talking about free for alls on wifi, but just getting with someone and sparring with them to get some criticism and whatnot on my game

Angiance

Smash Lord
I meant use U-Tilt instead of D-Smash

Would anyone consider Jab a frame 2 KO option? It trips the opponennt in front of Chu and hits decentely far...

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I only really have one person near me who also actually takes the game seriously so I play him a lot, but I'm beginning to realize that playing only one person too much can be detrimental because you begin reacting to their habits and forming some bad habits of your own that may be effective against that one player but not so much on some of the top players.

I'm not talking about free for alls on wifi, but just getting with someone and sparring with them to get some criticism and whatnot on my game
Then attend tournaments when you can. You don't even have to enter right away. You can go there to play friendlies and observe other players. If you have the ability to put your brawl videos online we can critique your gameplay. For now, the easiest thing you can do is watch videos online to learn how not only Pikachu operates but other characters as well so that you can counter them.

Would anyone consider Jab a frame 2 KO option? It trips the opponennt in front of Chu and hits decentely far...
Agreed. U-tilt > D-smash because Pikachu is amazing underneath the opponent. I have no idea why you are talking about the utility of Pikachu's jab...

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
Then attend tournaments when you can. You don't even have to enter right away. You can go there to play friendlies and observe other players. If you have the ability to put your brawl videos online we can critique your gameplay. For now, the easiest thing you can do is watch videos online to learn how not only Pikachu operates but other characters as well so that you can counter them.
Yeah I've been going to tournies, they have some vids of me that are from March back when I first started attending tournaments and it's pretty embarrassing to watch them now lol. I just attended a tourney a week ago and those vids should be up soon, so when they are I'll link them in here. Everyone please be as brutal as you can! Haha

Jab a KO option? Wat? If you're talking about jab > trip > tech chase > u-smash/f-smash then yeah I've seen it done, but jab by itself?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Yeah I've been going to tournies, they have some vids of me that are from March back when I first started attending tournaments and it's pretty embarrassing to watch them now lol. I just attended a tourney a week ago and those vids should be up soon, so when they are I'll link them in here. Everyone please be as brutal as you can! Haha

Jab a KO option? Wat? If you're talking about jab > trip > tech chase > u-smash/f-smash then yeah I've seen it done, but jab by itself?
My old vids are very embarrassing as well. I've pretty much been in the hyperbolic time chamber for ~2 years honing my skills and I'm far better now than I was then. Can't wait to attend tournies again.
I really enjoy critiquing videos so I look forward to seeing yours.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
It's not that high of a risk. You obviously don't want to be going out there trying to land a jab just to KO. You use jab when it's best and if it trips, it's a free grab or upsmash.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
It's not that high of a risk. You obviously don't want to be going out there trying to land a jab just to KO. You use jab when it's best and if it trips, it's a free grab or upsmash.
When does one use jab? Other than the situational jab lock. I'd much rather use D-tilt if I'm hoping for a trip.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I use it whenever they're near me and I need a 2 frame move. It's decent out of a spot dodge or after shield drop. It's safest to use it when your opponent is near the edge, so you can just do rapid jabs to push them off. It actually racks up a nice amount of damage and at the same time refreshes all your moves pretty quickly. Also, dtilt only trips at low percents.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I use it whenever they're near me and I need a 2 frame move. It's decent out of a spot dodge or after shield drop. It's safest to use it when your opponent is near the edge, so you can just do rapid jabs to push them off. It actually racks up a nice amount of damage and at the same time refreshes all your moves pretty quickly. Also, dtilt only trips at low percents.
I hope it is a decent option because I would love a new weapon in Pikachu's arsenal. What I do remember about Pikachu's jab, since I never use it, is that it has zero knockback and is punishable. I also remember that visually it looks stupid... There are so many more options OoS than jab it isn't even funny. I also play Peach and I utilize her amazing jabs (bit**slaps) frequently. I wish Pikachu's jab was as good.

MaPow

Smash Apprentice
Jab for healing moves is S tier

Would anyone agree that Chu is a close rannged brawler?
technically a lot of chu's attacks have a short range, so at times he has to run in a poke people with his attacks up close, but his brilliant speed, tbolts, Uairs, and thunder let you fight your opponent safely and from a distance.

Top Bottom