• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
Yes, Pikachu thrives on getting in its opponents face and applying constant pressure to force its opponent into mistakes and take them out of there game.

What are situations where pivot grabs and retreating pivot grabs would be good options? I could see pivot grabbing someones landing or if you predict a spotdodge to run behind and pivot grab, but I also heard an announcer say that if you are predicting a spotdodge to do a retreating pivot grab but I'm confused... If you are running away and pivot grabbing, and they are standing still and spotdodging, then how are you gonna grab them? Lol

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Yes, Pikachu thrives on getting in its opponents face and applying constant pressure to force its opponent into mistakes and take them out of there game.

What are situations where pivot grabs and retreating pivot grabs would be good options? I could see pivot grabbing someones landing or if you predict a spotdodge to run behind and pivot grab, but I also heard an announcer say that if you are predicting a spotdodge to do a retreating pivot grab but I'm confused... If you are running away and pivot grabbing, and they are standing still and spotdodging, then how are you gonna grab them? Lol
It is when you run a step away from your opponent, turn around and grab them. Your grab range will effectively increase to the distance it was before you spun around. Look for videos on it. I believe most characters can do it.
Whats a good secondary main for a pika player
I use Marth, Peach, G&W, TL, ROB, Falco, Diddy Kong, and less seriously I use Sheik and PT. Currently working on Olimar. Try out many. I would recommend a character that complements Pikachu, such as one that has good range like Marth or Diddy Kong once you get a feel for his banana game.

Russian Charizard

Smash Rookie
Just started playing not very long ago and am struggling with some fundamental stuff. Have the general feel of combat and strategy down, but not hitting on some of this basic stuff which leads to giving up some stupid suicide deaths.

1. Recovery. Can't seem to get this down. Watching some of the videos, people are way below the stage and still able to get back on. Not sure exactly what they're doing to do this. Jumping then quick attack seems like the logical method to me, but this sometimes leaves me sort of the edge.

2. Off stage thunder. Most of the time I attempt doing this, Pikachu just goes down flashing and is unable to recover.

3. Quick attacking more horizontally. No matter what I try pikachu seems to want to go very upward with the quick attack at first.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Just started playing not very long ago and am struggling with some fundamental stuff. Have the general feel of combat and strategy down, but not hitting on some of this basic stuff which leads to giving up some stupid suicide deaths.

1. Recovery. Can't seem to get this down. Watching some of the videos, people are way below the stage and still able to get back on. Not sure exactly what they're doing to do this. Jumping then quick attack seems like the logical method to me, but this sometimes leaves me sort of the edge.

2. Off stage thunder. Most of the time I attempt doing this, Pikachu just goes down flashing and is unable to recover.

3. Quick attacking more horizontally. No matter what I try pikachu seems to want to go very upward with the quick attack at first.
1. Pikachu's recovery is one of the best in the game. Just make sure you QA diagonally then up, or up then diagonally. You can like touch the blast line and still make it back to the ledge if you still have your second jump. You can ledge stall by fastfalling then QAing back on.

2. Off stage thunder is awesome if you trick your opponent into it. Reverse thunder [Jump>Back>Thunder] is great for edgegaurding and mindgames. If pikachu goes down flashing then your probably not using your second jump correctly. ESAM lost to Ally at Pound V because he did that. lol "FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK"

3. I'll see if I can make a video of how Pikachu can go literaly across the stage by abusing QAC to recover horizontally

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
Since when did the Pika boards become so active? What are we discussing here boys?
Since I began posting, of course.

Lol nahh but really Charizard just go into training and practice quick attacking around the stage, go to Final Destination, Smashville, Battlefield, etc and just get used to quick attacking around and being able to completely control it. After that, start working on your QAC.

For the always quick attacking vertically thing, sounds like you're holding the analog stick up for too long. After you initiate your quick attack by pressing up and B, immediately rotate the analog stick to the right or left to go horizontally. Pikachu's recovery could definitely take a little while to get used to and under control, but once you do you're working with the second best recovery in the game! IMO in case anyone disagrees lol

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I'd like to know too. Btw, I appreciate you helping people in the Q&A and critique threads.

M15t3R E

Smash Master

My quick input... Go into training mode and try it until you get it down. Pikachu is not a pick up and play character, but he is very rewarding.
1. Skull Bash + QA means Pikachu can recover from virtually anywhere. In fact, I don't recall the last time I've ever been too far from the stage to make it back. You have to practice with QA until you commit the angles into muscle memory. There are at least 16 angles Pikachu can QA in.
2. I know what your issue is. There are 3 methods to use to execute this: Method 1: Hit down+B at the same time as you pop up into the air with your second jump, and when you use that second jump make sure you are jumping straight upwards and not to the side (I use this method the most). Method 2: As you are falling off-stage, hit down+B but MAKE SURE you hit down on the joystick lightly, as lightly as moving up on the joystick would make you short hop (not that it's a good idea to SH with the joystick...). This method makes it possible to use your second jump afterwards. Method 3: Jump off-stage and jump back towards the stage with an immediate down+B input following it. This is probably the safest method to practice with first.
3. You want to know how to QA twice consecutively horizontally, yes? Hit up+B and immediately aim the joystick to the side (whichever direction you are going for) then that same direction but with a diagonal down angle. For instance, up+B -->aim joystick to the right -->aim joystick at a right/downward angle and Pikachu will move twice to the right.

Oh? I didn't know you still played competitively, E. What're your recent tourney results?
I'd like to know too. Btw, I appreciate you helping people in the Q&A and critique threads.
Hello to you too. :)
Fellow Pikas, I have not been to a tournament in around 2 years now. Apparently you can say the same, Kaylo. I am happy to say, however, that I have been playing again since last year and my Pikachu appears to be infinitely better than what it was. I also now can use a variety of other characters proficiently. I do hope to attend a tournament or two while I have time. And helping other Pikachu players was always a passion of mine. I enjoy doing it.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
So much stuff to respond to, too lazy to multiquote.

Jab is godlike. First off, it can interrupt people and make them literally stand there and do nothing. If definitely single jabbed people to their death when they are attempting to get back on stage, and I've also single jabbed and then got a dash grab since they were confused as to what happened and it took them a little longer than normal to react because of the confusion. It also trips and makes u-smash, dash grab, and F-smash guaranteed (Especially with the bad invulnerability of trip/slip get-up options. Nick Riddle tried to roll through me after a jab trip today and got F-smashed at the beginning of the animation)

For the recovery thing, just get faster with your fingers and learn how to be more precise. There are angles in between the 8 marks on a control stick, and those distances really do help (Pikachu can get on stage from bubble with just QA on SV I think, or something ridiculous like that). If you end up going up on the first QA, you REALLY need to learn how to move your fingers faster. They need to be agile because there are a bunch of different angles and combinations that lead to successful QAing, so you need to be able to utilize all of them.

Pikachu's most applicable and most consistent kill move is U-smash. It's a punish, it's 9 frames, you can use it OOS (Jump cancelling) and it has the potential for a thunder follow-up, or at least puts your opponent in a juggle situation, which Pikachu thrives at.

For secondaries, you can use whoever you want. However, to cover pikachu's "Bad MUs" ICs is the best character. Olimar, Diddy, ICs, and Lucario all lose or go even with ICs.

I think I covered it all...

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Edgeguarding from the ledge with U-Air? Cause like, U-Air > N-Air seems very good foor edgeguarding.
Thunder is safer for edgeguarding. What I like to do is predict when they'll grab the ledge, and before they can do so throw a Thunder directly next to the ledge where they would grab it and they will be forced to take a Thunder to the face and often a follow-up Thunder as well.

FourStar

Smash Ace
Thunder is safer for edgeguarding. What I like to do is predict when they'll grab the ledge, and before they can do so throw a Thunder directly next to the ledge where they would grab it and they will be forced to take a Thunder to the face and often a follow-up Thunder as well.
but thunder is pretty predictable making it hard to trick people with

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
My view on edgeguarding with thunder is that I'm not so much trying to hit people with it but just to delay them from recovering to the edge for a little bit and see how they react. Then based on their reactions from waiting for thunder I may be able to get a gimp or something later on in the match. You don't ALWAYS have to hit someone with a move in order for it to be a good decision

M15t3R E

Smash Master
My view on edgeguarding with thunder is that I'm not so much trying to hit people with it but just to delay them from recovering to the edge for a little bit and see how they react. Then based on their reactions from waiting for thunder I may be able to get a gimp or something later on in the match. You don't ALWAYS have to hit someone with a move in order for it to be a good decision
Well said. Also you'd be surprised at how unpredictable Thunder can be for edgeguarding if you use it just as the opponent is recovering. That said, if you jump off-stage to use Thunder you are telegraphing it. However, this can force your opponent to act and move differently, not in the way they intended but to your advantage. One friend I spar with who mains ZSS often tells me he hates my "off-stage BS".

Russian Charizard

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys. Yeah the problem was not hitting multiple angles quickly enough to trigger multiple angles with the quick attack. Still a bit rough, but that will be cleaned up with practice. My recovery is already greatly improved just by applying the advice in this thread, and improving the hitch in the recovery has helped in landing thunder further off the stage making it much more versatile than before.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure whatever is on that thread is wrong.

You can start CGing at 16%. If you grab between 16-19%, you get 2 regrabs (3 d-throws and follow-up). If you grab between 20-24% you get 1 regrab (2 d-throws and follow-up).

Edgeguarding should be kept simple. T-jolts are awesome for space manipulation and just putting your body out there scares a lot of people. I like YOLO dairing off-stage since nobody really expects it. Thunder is always a thing, but it's more for "Hey, this might hit and I'm safe regardless" as opposed to "Yes, this will hit." Pikachu's ledgepressure is ridiculous so we don't really need to edgeguard too strongly.

Cassio

Smash Master
Edgeguarding should be kept simple.
I dont agree with this imo, although I mentioned this before but pika has a lot of ways to trap opponents offstage and i think its a really underdeveloped area for pika.

btw one thing I like to do if the opponent is recovering high is to grab the ledge and use the ledge jump, although its case by case and should be appropriately mixed-up. But his speed is a lot faster and I think goes a little higher then pikas normal jump, and he floats at his max height a bit longer. Having your back to the opponent is also nice for bairs/uairs and he can still use fair, nair, dair, thunder the way he normally would.

Also I sort of saw killing mentioned, imo the best way to understand killing is first to realize that you will most likely not land a kill on an opponent in neutral. This is true for a lot of characters but especially for pika. Usually your goal when it comes time to kill primarily should be to position your opponent to be killled. This means get them offstage, in the air, in shield at close range, low shield, or some other pressure/limited option situation. At this point pika is in his element for landing kill moves like upsmash, fsmash, last hit dsmash, thunder, nair, etc etc. Grabs are probably THE best way to put your opponent in that situation and at kill percent opponents tend to shield which helps. Moves like dash attack, ftilt, utilt and sorta dtilt are also good at getting your opponents into those situations. Keep in mind sometimes opponents will put themselves in bad situations from a whiffed attack (theyll probably shield or spot dodge), something predictable, guessing or pressuring badly etc. so to be aware to catch their mistakes and punish.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
what's the best move/setup to use to consistently separate Ice Climbers with Pikachu?
Back throw. I've seen ESAM separate PLENTY of IC with that move. Followed by like a Nair or Uair>Nair to thunder is a fantastic IC separator. Heck, if Nana is at high enough %, the nair will kill her...if it's fresh.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Going for the grab generally isn't worth it considering ICs can just hit you out of the throw. The best thing is to just be super patient and capitalize on their mistakes. They have to approach you when you are even since you have a projectile and can jump around while their projectiles only covers the ground.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
@ESAM I still haven't seen you get punished on a back throw. It's because you either got it out of patients, or from an unexpected approach.

Guys, ESAM vs 9B in crews is a goldmine for the IC MU. Link

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
@ESAM I still haven't seen you get punished on a back throw. It's because you either got it out of patients, or from an unexpected approach.

Guys, ESAM vs 9B in crews is a goldmine for the IC MU. (***** JVed 9B. If that isn't an accomplishment I don't know what is) Link

I can't say *****?
I think what he means is that 9 times out of 10 it's not worth trying to make a hard read against IC's trying to get a grab because the risk outweighs the reward. I mean ok you get a backthrow and the odds are about 50/50 maybe 60/40 that you kill Nana whereas if a good IC user reads you and grabs you instead, its about 90/10 that that's your stock. Yeah he made some hard reads on 9B and got some grabs, but you have to remember he's esam lol.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Ok. He's ESAM, you're right he can do that. But he was playing against THE best IC in the history of ever. If he can get that on THE IC, then I'm sure these guys can get it on some local nobodies like me.

I mean, I don't think these guys are asking for tips against IC of a high caliber as Vinne or Lain.

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
Well I don't think that local nobodies will even know how to perform the cg, so that completely eliminates any risk of rushing in and making a mistake. I just don't want them getting used to running in on mediocre IC's and getting the back throw and then the first time they play an IC who actually knows what they are doing and isn't a nobody they get 3 stocked in 90 seconds and they don't know why lol.

M15t3R E

Smash Master

Guys, ESAM vs 9B in crews is a goldmine for the IC MU. Link
How on Earth can you get your back throw punished? I didn't even know this was possible.
hey esam what characters can actually be CG?
Most. Typically by d-throw. Check out that thread I linked earlier. It's mostly correct.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Because as you are B-throwing they input a move with the other one and they just swat you out of it. There are two of them, remember?

Top Bottom