• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Sweet Thanks for the info. I also looked at the MU discussion threads for ZSS, but it was stated that it's way out of date...So How should i approach the ZSS match-up? Things to look out for and things to do? Thanks guys

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
No, I did it because I had a short mental block against the character, but then I got over it and I think it's +-0 again.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
How should i approach the ZSS match-up?
I could only recommend some Pika vs ZSS videos; but I do know a certain professional pika player from Florida that has a brother who plays ZSS and could write a book on the MU because of how much experience he has in the MU...

Angiance

Smash Lord
btw i'm still having trouble QAC. how do you do it again cuz i'm not doing it right at all
When Chu QAs into anything that can be stood on (ground, platforms, etc.) it cancels; actions from QAC: specials, aerials, and 2nd jump

Would anybody consider B-Air one of Chu's top platform control moves, considering it's 8 large hitboxes, and frame 5 start-up?

Sorry bout' the double post :s

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Bair is awesome for platform control. I do it all the time for that case (The fact that pikachu extends horizontally doesn't hurt either~)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Are we talking about Pikachu moves or moves in the game? Pikachu's uair is his best move, but it is NOT the best uair in the game.

Are we talking about Pikachu moves or moves in the game? Pikachu's uair is his best move, but it is NOT the best uair in the game.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
How effective is platform cancelling?
Is it used a lot with Pikachu or in general?
Is it a must learn?

Correct me if i'm wrong but it helps with your Movement a lot? i think i saw some pika's move like lightning on platforms... so i'm assuming it's Platform cancelling?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Platform cancelling is pretty superfluous in most situations. It's useful to do sometimes because it can fluster people, but other than that it isn't a big deal

Edit: What the hell smashboards i clicked post once :(

FourStar

Smash Ace
hey esam do you use dsmash into combos? cuz i feel like i try to do it and the best follow up to dsmash at low % is a usmash

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I normally use D-smash as a landing trap or a "OH****I'MPRESSUREDGETOFFOFME" kinda thing. it's bad in combos since it can be SDI'd out of, but there are tricks into getting the last hit a lot.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
hey esam do you use dsmash into combos? cuz i feel like i try to do it and the best follow up to dsmash at low % is a usmash
Pikachu's down smash is often used at the end of a combo. If you can successfully down smash into a string of moves against a good player who isn't drunk, please inform me immediately.

FourStar

Smash Ace
Pikachu's down smash is often used at the end of a combo. If you can successfully down smash into a string of moves against a good player who isn't drunk, please inform me immediately.
i've done a lot against a lot of people but that's cuz most of them play MK so i wouldn't know how it works with other characters

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
What are Pika's best stages against Diddy and Olimar? I find myself just going back to Smashville because I don't know where to take them...

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking it over and was thinking that a good stage to bring Diddy might be PS1? It could throw of their nana game with the transformations and whatnot, they could lose track of them or make it more difficult to effectively use them or something. As for Olimar I'm still completely clueless -_-

FourStar

Smash Ace
I was thinking it over and was thinking that a good stage to bring Diddy might be PS1? It could throw of their nana game with the transformations and whatnot, they could lose track of them or make it more difficult to effectively use them or something. As for Olimar I'm still completely clueless -_-
trust me lylat cruise is really tough stage for projectile characters like olimar and diddy. the low platforms make it difficult for projectiles to hit you. just don't get under them. stay under them in fact cuz that's when pika is the strongest

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
Alright, thanks for the help FourStar, I'll definitely try out Lylat next time

And E, Rainbow Cruise has been banned at all of the tournaments that I've been to. But I definitely see how it could be a headache for those characters lol

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Lylat isn't very good against olimar. If I remember correctly, the metal flooring allows olimar to pull more yellows than usual. Same goes for Frigate, too. (Which is where I'd take diddy, personally.)

I think the slants on Yoshi's Island can disrupt both characters' item throws, so that place might be good, but I generally just stick to neutral stages in general because it's what I'm most comfortable on.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Alright, thanks for the help FourStar, I'll definitely try out Lylat next time

And E, Rainbow Cruise has been banned at all of the tournaments that I've been to. But I definitely see how it could be a headache for those characters lol
Some TO's will choose to ban rainbow cruise but most shouldn't, especially not on a regional or national scale. Those obscure stages are where you want to take such opponents to.

FourStar

Smash Ace
ok so everyone picks the usual smashville, battlefield, and somtimes final destination. however lylat IMO is really counterpick against projectile characters. trust me i've used at two tourneys against olimars and diddy's. even MK. won every single time. just try to get fimiliar with the stage too

M15t3R E

Smash Master
ok so everyone picks the usual smashville, battlefield, and somtimes final destination. however lylat IMO is really counterpick against projectile characters. trust me i've used at two tourneys against olimars and diddy's. even MK. won every single time. just try to get fimiliar with the stage too
I've had different experiences. Diddy, maybe. Olimar is not disadvantaged. MK has no bad stages.

FourStar

Smash Ace
I've had different experiences. Diddy, maybe. Olimar is not disadvantaged. MK has no bad stages.
well i see what you mean but its such an obscure stage for a lot of people and with a lot of people expecting like smashville, PS1 or 2. But learning obscure ones like castle seige, lylat, and frigate orpheon (although that one is being picked alot more now) throws people completely off their game due to the way the stages are designed and many people cannot adapt to the stage. just some tip of advice from someone that cares about other chu players
RESPECT THE CHU :pikachu:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
well i see what you mean but its such an obscure stage for a lot of people and with a lot of people expecting like smashville, PS1 or 2. But learning obscure ones like castle seige, lylat, and frigate orpheon (although that one is being picked alot more now) throws people completely off their game due to the way the stages are designed and many people cannot adapt to the stage. just some tip of advice from someone that cares about other chu players
RESPECT THE CHU :pikachu:
Out of the relatively small stage selection available, sure, the stages you mentioned are good choices against those characters. Frigate and PS1 I'd say unless RC is playable.

FourStar

Smash Ace
So I've heard.
my only solution to that (btw i hate RC so it throws me off too lol) is to throw in the lylat or castle seige. i love these stages but people hate it. don't know why. and they are starter stages so it seems like people disregard them because they aren't the main three stages people choose

Top Bottom