• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Angiance

Smash Lord
Ideas: G&W + Chu - you can fill the bucket with T2 for quick KOs; Chu + Ness/Lucas - you can heal them with electricity; Chu + Kirby - the most cudorable of teams. Just be creative

FourStar

Smash Ace
Ideas: G&W + Chu - you can fill the bucket with T2 for quick KOs; Chu + Ness/Lucas - you can heal them with electricity; Chu + Kirby - the most cudorable of teams. Just be creative
well i guess marth and pika works cuz no one expects it right?

Cassio

Smash Master
Marth is a REALLY good teammate for pika, definitely one of his best.

Teams is interesting for pika, hes well rounded enough to play any role but he is significantly better if he's playing the roll of support. For that reason pika can do OK with other support characters like snake or Toon Link, but he shines a lot more when he can be on the outskirts helping his partner like with an aggressive Marth, MK, Lucario, etc.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5gkdUxJOzw
This is some instant bucket stuff. Don't rely on it at first because it takes either obvious communication or REALLY good synergy to make it happen.

iirc even grounded jolts will max the bucket damage/knockback so you don't HAVE to put 3 T2s into the bucket. Jolts are a lot safer than accidentally making your teammate explode.

For a snake/pika team, Snake will do the supporting until someone is at kill%, then come in and utilt someone. Pika's moves just set up into utilt really well, fthrow and Bthrow both can almost promise a hit at high enough % and if you can bombchu a C4 onto someone (have snake plant C4 on pika and run around enemies until it sticks to them) you can throw them up into the air, and then time your Thunder/C4 detonate to guarantee a hit out of an Air Dodge if the thunder is lined up properly (bait the AD with Thunder, detonate the C4 as it ends.)

I could go into more detail about more teammates, but the problem is that most of it is just situational stuff that took a long time for a teammate and myself to get to work. You're better off just getting an all around decent teammate for pika which would make him support. Lucario/MK, like Vee says.

FourStar

Smash Ace
Marth is a REALLY good teammate for pika, definitely one of his best.

Teams is interesting for pika, hes well rounded enough to play any role but he is significantly better if he's playing the roll of support. For that reason pika can do OK with other support characters like snake or Toon Link, but he shines a lot more when he can be on the outskirts helping his partner like with an aggressive Marth, MK, Lucario, etc.
See that's the explanation iwas looking for! and yeah imma make my friend learn Marth now :p and btw i like the Eevees :p

Cassio

Smash Master
I think its 38 degrees, sometimes that extra 7 degrees can make the difference.

MR.M4N

Smash Rookie
I was just wondering, are the match-up discussions for Pikachu still accurate? As in, are they still right today with the changing metagame? I was planning on reading a lot of them but then I noticed most of them haven't had any posts since like 2010, so do you guys still think I can get a lot out of them or if I should wait for the new match-ups to come out? If there are actually more recent ones and I just missed them somehow please give me a link.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Oh god those MU discussions are terrible, as far as I remember. The metagame has advanced so much in both Pikachu's case and in other characters' cases...

FourStar

Smash Ace
matchups really don't matter in personal cases. if you know you do bad against another character than you should use your secondary

Angiance

Smash Lord
N-Air is one of Chu's main follow-ups, but it's not a move you would start/continue strings with, use for spacing, etc.

It's thunder.
Thunder is strictly for KOs, so it's more of a finisher; not a stringer or damage racker

Uair fashozies.
FH U-Air/SH U-Air is very good for spacing and starts strings/allows Chu to get good damage in; U-Air'll be used lots as Chu so it's a main move

Between F-Air and U-Air though, it's completely up to the player which is used more, they serve the same purpose: starting/continuing strings, edgeguarding, spacing, etc.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Grab's, u-smash OOS, dash attack if they are too far (And not at super low %s), d-tilt for trip, etc..

Edit: By the way, Angiance, if you have something more to add to a post, just click the edit button so you
don't double post (I don't want Prime to infract you)

Edit2: Fair and uair do not serve the same purpose. Uair is a GREAT space controller and it almost always combos into nair or another uair, it leads to footstool as well (Which is obviously SUPER good). It also has a really fast hitbox right behind it (frame 3) so it is amazing for things like dashing RAR uair footstool or nair, which i've done a bunch recently.

MR.M4N

Smash Rookie
Oh god those MU discussions are terrible, as far as I remember. The metagame has advanced so much in both Pikachu's case and in other characters' cases...
Alright thanks, I figured as much since they are quite old, but just wanted to see what you guys thought.

matchups really don't matter in personal cases. if you know you do bad against another character than you should use your secondary
Really? I'm always hearing people say things like "this match is really only who knows the matchup better" and things similar to that, but it sounds like you're saying that matchups aren't really important...

FourStar

Smash Ace
Alright thanks, I figured as much since they are quite old, but just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Really? I'm always hearing people say things like "this match is really only who knows the matchup better" and things similar to that, but it sounds like you're saying that matchups aren't really important...
they are. but pika is supposed to be IC's. but you see ESAM tearing up a bunch of IC's all the time

Angiance

Smash Lord
It's all about the player's knowledge, adaptation, and manipulation of their character

i wish brawl pika had the uair from melee pika and the melee usmash. that would be so awesome
U-Smash was weakened a good amount, and U-Air changed a bit, but he got a few +'s along with the -'s

FourStar, what would you think of Chu's F-Smash being F-Tilt instead and working the way Dedede's F-Tilt worked?

FourStar

Smash Ace
It's all about the player's knowledge, adaptation, and manipulation of their character

U-Smash was weakened a good amount, and U-Air changed a bit, but he got a few +'s along with the -'s

FourStar, what would you think of Chu's F-Smash being F-Tilt instead and working the way Dedede's F-Tilt worked?
idk what you're talking about with the dedede f-tilt since i never play as him

FourStar

Smash Ace
its alright i love pikachu no matter what but if brawl pikachu had the mechanics of melee pikachu then its on the best characters. maybe even god tier character

FourStar

Smash Ace
hey when's the next national for brawl? cuz i've been waiting for streams for a while. kinda tired of watching tons of melee right now

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Someone said i Needed to work on my movement with pikachu, How can i go about doing that? Like his Dk just Destroyed me.

Also, how do you punish DK's Ledge hop/jump to UpB?

Most effective ways of killing DK?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Ledge pressure >>> Edgeguarding. Wait for them on stage (For the DK question). Killing would just be baiting. DK has bad options in the down-in front angle, so abuse that.

Get better at movement by...practicing. There isn't a trick to it.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Also keep in mind that DK's ledge getup attack bellow 100% is a force to be reckoned with. Watch matches with Will or Cabel and watch how their opponents react to their ledgegame. If the DK player is smart, his spacing is going to be verrrrrrrry tough to read. He'll have a LOT of options covered but don't be afraid to go in and hit during startup lag (with a solid read and excluding Bair and Nair). All the time I see players giving Will too much respect and he capitalizes on that with a lengthy move like Dair or Fair. DK is a very underrated character and fighting him is tough. Pikachu does have the advantage with contrasting sizes, and fast movesets. I've been able to get Dthrow>Uair>Footstool without reversing the Uair several times because of his big body.
You revoked your ±0:metaknight: statement because of MK's poking and higher pressure right?

Top Bottom