• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pichu isn't the worst!

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Well how many people know the Kirby match-up. Honestly since there aren't that many good Kirby players in the top player scene most people wouldn't know the Kirby match-up. It was like when Mango started with jigglypuff beating top players because they didn't necessary know the match-up.
I love this excuse, but I don't think it quite works on Kirby. He's pretty much what you see is what you get.
In general these excuses are thrown about way too frequently, and always in retrospect. To the point where it's as if people temporarily suspend their belief in tiers and they talk about characters like Kirby or Bowser as if they are so viable, people start making assumptions that the winning low tier character's main must have smash god like skills and reflexes.....proper rubbish

Back to the MU ignorance point....
I would agree that Bowser and Pichu can be overwhelming and surprising at first in a way Kirby really isn't. Bowser for having one of the best OoS Up -Bs, amazing ledge attack < 100 and having the command grab. Pichu for just the sheer speed and gimping power. All this can be adapted to and avoided though, Pichu can be out-ranged by every character.

Kirby doesn't have any crazy secrets beside Kirbycide and his duck, but really those are already well known even in casual play. He floats about at the speed people expect, they do underestimate his aerial killing power and his Dsmash/Dtilt though. But within a match all that can be learned about, however the moves have good range and power so they stand up to even high tiers rather well I've come to realize. Once the match-up is well known by opponents movement becomes his only crutch and weakness, there are ways around it but it's still bad. I still hate his movement but he's grown on me partly because I've seen success with him locally against comparable high tier mains..

///////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Triple R is a god with kirby pretty much entirely because he just is way smarter and fundamentally solid than the vast maority of people who play this game.
He doesnt really achieve any sort of results out of state though.

Anyway, kirby isn't surprising. You get what you would expect (I think dair actually catches a decent amount of people off guard though, as well as the range of fair), but kirby doesnt get the luxury of gimmicking people as easily as pichu or bowser.
This doesn't necessarily make him worse, just less gimmicky.

Last edited:

soju

SD God
Why is there kirby discussion on the pichu board. You silly kids, anyways.

Did any of you find any gimmicks of late?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Why is there kirby discussion on the pichu board. You silly kids, anyways.

Did any of you find any gimmicks of late?
I'm always findin some gimmicks dude.
latest thing in my gimmick library is AI Nair->jab.
At low percent they just get reset and its fast af and hilarious.

Top Bottom