• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phase X-2 - July 2 - FX Game Exchange - MK Banned Tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiskaSM

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. I (Diska) and Mocha(Mew) will be coming to this tournament from Houston, rusty though we are. See ya guys there :)

Tesh

Smash Hero
Seriously? I've never seen either of you at a Houston tournament and you will go all the way to Dallas for this?

Banning MK boosts tournament attendance?

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Seriously? I've never seen either of you at a Houston tournament and you will go all the way to Dallas for this?

lol, yeah. That's kind of crazy yo. :p Houston hardly has any Metaknights anyways. If anything, be careful in Dallas when he's not banned.

DiskaSM

Smash Apprentice

I just moved to Houston and she wanted to go to a tournament with me, so we looked and saw it this weekend and we went :)
you should be able to see us sometime at a tournament!

Also, ggs to everyone I played, I had a great time. Glad I could unrust some :)

Tesh

Smash Hero
YOU GUYS ALWAYS BEAT ME IN LAG , I HAVE REVENGE NOW!!

icantbelieveitsnotcaps

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
How much did you like Theme Teams? I know the character selection was a bit limited, so sorry bout that.

Theme Teams (16)

1: When Das Returns - Gnes + Trela
2: Plump Peaches - Bassem + Sethlon
3: Captain Teemo - UTDZac + TehBrettster
4: Farm til 30 - DMG + Allied
5: Om Nom Waffles - Van Jones + Light
5: Options Covered - Infinity + Denti
7: Team Ice - Ice + Greyfox
7: Team Terrell - KirbyKid + Bro
9: Super Martinez Brothers - Chic + Pixel
9: Luck Over Skill - Razer + Dphat
9: Brick Squad
9: Neon Cat
13: Team Earth
13: F Hero's Team
13: Styngrayz
13: Cobras on Caffinee

Singles (24)

1: UltimateRazer / Gnes / Trela
4: Denti (Olimar)
5: Fogo (Snake)
5: DMG (Wario & friends)
7: UTDZac (G&W)
7: Sethlon (Falco & friends)
9: DPhat (Marth & friends)
9: Bored (Ike)
9: Infinty (Diddy & friends)
9: ALSM (Toon Link
13: Light (Sheik & friends)
13: Chic
13: Diska
13: Neon
17: Ojih~Sama
17: Slaps
17: FHero
17: Pixel
17: Mocha
17: Teh Brettster
17: K Bot
17: Gucci

Tesh

Smash Hero
what theme did razer/dphat use to place so low?

also yellow card

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Razer and Dphat switched between

Snake Falcon

Fox Falco

I dunno why. Snake Falcon was easily their strongest team. Allied and I probably would have lost to them if they stayed Snake Falcon.

N.O.T.A.-SrsC@

Smash Apprentice
Theme teams is a good idea but it needs more options. Adding certain obvious teams to the list would make it better:

Princess Power: Peach/Zelda (no Shiek)
Puffballs Unite: Jigglypuff/Kirby/(Metaknight)
Add Ganondorf to Team Manly
Villains: Ganondorf/Bowser/Dedede/Wolf/Wario
Bomb Brigade: Snake/Link/Toon Link/Samus
Not-so-side-kicks: Luigi/Pikachu/Yoshi/Falco/Diddy Kong

Obviously, those are just suggestions, but you get where I'm going.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Some themes are crippled because you are forced to pick characters that are horrible in teams or just plain low tier. Most of those options look like they would suck, forcing everyone to go team manly because team Donkey Kong would require a skilled Diddy.

A Villain team woulda been good. Needs more teams with top tiers+mid tiers.

Or just a side event where u team top tiers with low tiers.

Looks like banning MK didn't change anything.

Texas

*sigh*

Tesh

Smash Hero
That was my point. I wouldn't mind seeing MK banned, but it seems like it would have 0 effect on Texas locals. Aside from you and Dojo.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I'm working on adjusting Theme Teams, so no worries.

And for the record, I did not ban MK because I wanted to see people place higher/lower, that's pretty immature. I banned him because I wanted my tournaments to be fun, as I believe MK reduces the fun level of competitive Brawl.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yea, but its Texas and some people have fun using metaknight. They aren't hurting anyone right? I mean the game would be more fun for alot of people if you ban Sonic too (im sure bio and rei gun will show up and agree with me on this).

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Simple solution: don't show up to Zac's tournaments. If you want to host a tourney where MK is legal, you go right ahead. Until then, don't complain about how someone else chooses to run their events.

-Van Jones

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Someone who doesn't complain when someone else is nice enough to put the time and effort into hosting a tourney for the community.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That was my point. I wouldn't mind seeing MK banned, but it seems like it would have 0 effect on Texas locals. Aside from you and Dojo.
It makes the game funner CP wise. There are plenty of people who don't necessarily play MK 100%, but game 2 on RC/Brinstar will whip him out and basically get the free win.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Sorry, I appreciate it, I'm not hating on your efforts or anything I'm just posting because this page keeps reminding me that I'm subcribed to this thread.

DiskaSM

Smash Apprentice
Theme teams is a good idea but it needs more options. Adding certain obvious teams to the list would make it better:

Princess Power: Peach/Zelda (no Shiek)
Puffballs Unite: Jigglypuff/Kirby/(Metaknight)
Add Ganondorf to Team Manly
Villains: Ganondorf/Bowser/Dedede/Wolf/Wario
Bomb Brigade: Snake/Link/Toon Link/Samus
Not-so-side-kicks: Luigi/Pikachu/Yoshi/Falco/Diddy Kong

Obviously, those are just suggestions, but you get where I'm going.
I agree with this. Also, on a side note, I really think ROB + GaW shouldn't be a legal theme team. Those two aren't really from the same series, but also they both are among the top 5 doubles characters (arguably) and together they're almost as tough as a double MK team. Comparing Zelda + Link/Mario + Luigi or most of the combinations possible, that combo is far better and almost unbeatable because ROB and GaW both have insane team abilities. No johns but that team combo is really almost unfair when most other options are so bad.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I didn't think G&W + ROB was overly powerful. The highest placing team that used them got 4. Saying they are almost as strong as double MK is laughable, considering Lucario + G&W isn't as strong as double MK.

Denti

Smash Master
I really enjoyed this tournament zac and I'm super happy you held one because your events are always great and they make the community active! Theme teams was a great idea and I really like hearing that you're interested in keeping it as an event. Maybe since you're trying to balance it more you should focus less on themes that make sense and focus more on balancing it imo (it's your event so you do what you want, this is just my opinion). Like I enjoyed the CF and Snake idea, that was balanced and fun. However the Starfox team and the Mario series team (Basically was Wario + whoever) were the only viable teams and really screwed over every other team as a whole.

I do believe though that team fire emblem (only you can brett played them) and the Pokemon team (Pikachu + Lucario) were a powerful team but underused and would've done better if more people had played them. So there were only 4 realistically good teams out of the 13 that made every other theme team out classed.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
Some themes are crippled because you are forced to pick characters that are horrible in teams or just plain low tier. Most of those options look like they would suck
Ban low/mid tier tournaments!

Looks like banning MK didn't change anything.

Texas

*sigh*
LOL

LOL at naming andy as viable MK

Yea, but its Texas and some people have fun using metaknight. They aren't hurting anyone right? I mean the game would be more fun for alot of people if you ban Sonic too (im sure bio and rei gun will show up and agree with me on this).
Who has fun playing MK? Last phase i went to, the last mk user i saw constantly kept trying to time out everybody. Granted he failed on almost every account

I didn't think G&W + ROB was overly powerful. The highest placing team that used them got 4. Saying they are almost as strong as double MK is laughable, considering Lucario + G&W isn't as strong as double MK.
+1

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Ike and Marth is such a fun team. Those two characters, while they both share weak recovery options, seem almost built to play off of each other.

I don't see the point in *****ing about Zac's rules. It's his tournament. If you don't like the rules, don't go. They're not rules that are being enforced everywhere. The ultimate goal of the tournament was for everyone to have fun, and let me say that last weekend was the best weekend of Smash I have had to date. Thanks Zac for hosting.

Btw, I'm posting all my Phase shout outs with my Revolution shout outs in the Revolution results thread.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I do want to say thanks to everyone who brought a TV. I know it's tough to lug those things around but it really helps the tourney run smoothly. I hope everyone was able to get in enough friendlies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom