• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PGD4: I changed the title.

Soul.

It can be difficult when you have a guy with green hair asking for truth and ideals.
-insert me posting a tl;dr about Pokémon Black and White-

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Not gonna lie I still don't regret skipping Gen V.

I regret skipping Gen IV, though.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Not gonna lie I still don't regret skipping Gen V.

I regret skipping Gen IV, though.
Why'd you skip Gen V? D: (And Gen IV too, for that matter)
I've noticed that the themes of the video games have become increasingly maturer and profounder. Gen V and VI especially.

Last edited:

Soul.

What's wrong with Gen V?
Power Creep is my main problem with Gen 5. I know not everyone follows competitive Pokémon; I've played Gen 5 for a while and weather being used almost always made it a bit stale, especially with Drizzle. It's not that big of a deal (Rain's background is good in battles lol). It's more of an opinion than general consensus.
That, and the Gen 5 anime is lackluster imo.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Power Creep is my main problem with Gen 5. I know not everyone follows competitive Pokémon; I've played Gen 5 for a while and weather being used almost always made it a bit stale, especially with Drizzle. It's not that big of a deal (Rain's background is good in battles lol). It's more of an opinion than general consensus.
That, and the Gen 5 anime is lackluster imo.
I remember those days. Back when Dragons were pretty strong. Good times.
The only complaint I had about the Black and White anime is how they made Ash a noob again. He was a noob in the original series, obviously. But after that, he started to grow a little in the subsequent seasons. He was kinda a mentor to May and Dawn in some regards. Then comes Black and White and it's like he forgot a lot of stuff. (At least X and Y improved on the situation.) But anyways, other than that, the anime was pretty good in Gen V.

Nothing to say here ;)
Indeed :p
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/profounder

Soul.

I could understand the Gen 5 metagame, but Gen 6 is lol. I don't play OU anymore.
Wi-Fi matches were really entertaining despite the Power Creep and stuff, but Gen 4 Wi-Fi matches were more entertaining imo.

also I stopped watching the anime the moment Gen 5 started airing, aka the moment DP concluded.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I could understand the Gen 5 metagame, but Gen 6 is lol. I don't play OU anymore.
Wi-Fi matches were really entertaining despite the Power Creep and stuff, but Gen 4 Wi-Fi matches were more entertaining imo.

also I stopped watching the anime the moment Gen 5 started airing, aka the moment DP concluded.
I don't play on any of Smogon's tiers anymore. Especially not OU anymore. Have you seen all the bans they've done? It's crazy!
I only play VGC now.

So you haven't seen the Black and White anime? Then how do you know it was lackluster? :p Have you at least watched the XY anime? I think it's pretty nice.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Why'd you skip Gen V? D: (And Gen IV too, for that matter).
Gen IV was released late in my first year of college; hence at the time I was more concerned with a variety of related issues. College didn't work out, for the curious.

In 2008 I moved into my current abode and the related financial changes solidified my inability to get a DS for a long time to come. By the time I did, I mostly played other things online. This caused me to ignore Black and White (and most other DS games), and I didn't get a 3DS until the release of X and Y, by which time I had thoroughly ignored B2/W2.

Now I can't find the games at a reasonable price, I haven't gotten my dream team in Y or finished ORAS, and my backlog is so deep I may never get around to it even if I do come into them.

But hey, we'll always have Paris Lumiose City.

Power Creep is my main problem with Gen 5.
I bet Gen Vi gives you the chortles, then. :p

I'm completely ignorant of most everything to do with competitive Pokemon. My main issue with Gen V stems from a lot of what I find to be uninspired designs. There's some gems if you look, sure, but there's also a wealth of duds.

And while I stopped watching the anime somewhere in the middle of the Gen II arcs, my understanding is that the Gen Vi arc is actually rather solid.

Soul.

I don't play on any of Smogon's tiers anymore. Especially not OU anymore. Have you seen all the bans they've done? It's crazy!
I only play VGC now.

So you haven't seen the Black and White anime? Then how do you know it was lackluster? :p Have you at least watched the XY anime? I think it's pretty nice.
Smogon's bans are nonsense and whatever they are doing won't help. They're trying to reduce matchup problems in Pokémon when matchup problems will always happen due to the nature of the game. VGC is cool. I don't hate Smogon though.

Oh, I actually saw a bit of BW. I just didn't like it. XY is eh... animation's good.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Gen IV was released late in my first year of college; hence at the time I was more concerned with a variety of related issues. College didn't work out, for the curious.

In 2008 I moved into my current abode and the related financial changes solidified my inability to get a DS for a long time to come. By the time I did, I mostly played other things online. This caused me to ignore Black and White (and most other DS games), and I didn't get a 3DS until the release of X and Y, by which time I had thoroughly ignored B2/W2.

Now I can't find the games at a reasonable price, I haven't gotten my dream team in Y or finished ORAS, and my backlog is so deep I may never get around to it even if I do come into them.

But hey, we'll always have Paris Lumiose City.
Oh, I didn't know that. I think you'll be able to backtrack and do what you want to do, nonetheless. In due time of course. But still. You can do it! You can win! :)

Smogon's bans are nonsense and whatever they are doing won't help. They're trying to reduce matchup problems in Pokémon when matchup problems will always happen due to the nature of the game. VGC is cool. I don't hate Smogon though.

Oh, I actually saw a bit of BW. I just didn't like it. XY is eh... animation's good.
Yeah, I know what you mean. VGC interests me a lot because of all the options I have. I like to experiment with different strategies, even ones that are really terrible. And yeah. I don't hate Smogon either. I still occasionally go their forums. I'm thinking about writing another article for "The Smog". Maybe when I have time.
I can see why. Having Pikachu lose to a brand new trainer and his Snivy was a pretty bad start. :laugh: What surprises me most in XY is that they have a canonical crush (Serena likes Ash). I'm interested to see what they do with it. There's a lot of interesting possibilities that arise with that.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
What surprises me most in XY is that they have a canonical crush (Serena likes Ash). I'm interested to see what they do with it. There's a lot of interesting possibilities that arise with that.
I think Misty's feelings for Ash were established canon as well, if the songs on some of the soundtracks count. Of course, by having to add "if they count" I'm kind of harming my own case a bit. Not that they did anything with it anyway.

Haven't seen any XY, have only read up, so bear in mind my perspective is skewed. But it is looking like they're going to go for broke with Serena at some point, just a matter of when they feel it's right to pull the trigger.

Soul.

The canonical crush is my main problem with the XY anime. It's not bad, but shipping sucks. Especially in anime where you have people overusing the "waifu" thing... Ehh, I don't know.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that there's even roleplayers who don't really RP as Ash, instead it's -Character- with a user roleplaying as Serena. Things like this happen on YouTube.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Wouldn't be the first time I've seen awful RP.

Won't be the last.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Oh I know, trust me. I know. I've seen things.

This ain't the place to discuss half of em, but trust me when I say I've seen it.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I think Misty's feelings for Ash were established canon as well, if the songs on some of the soundtracks count. Of course, by having to add "if they count" I'm kind of harming my own case a bit. Not that they did anything with it anyway.

Haven't seen any XY, have only read up, so bear in mind my perspective is skewed. But it is looking like they're going to go for broke with Serena at some point, just a matter of when they feel it's right to pull the trigger.
Yeah...Misty is pretty much irrelevant to the series now. We could get a surprise appearance someday, but it's very unlikely. She's been replaced.
The canonical crush is my main problem with the XY anime. It's not bad, but shipping sucks. Especially in anime where you have people overusing the "waifu" thing... Ehh, I don't know.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that there's even roleplayers who don't really RP as Ash, instead it's -Character- with a user roleplaying as Serena. Things like this happen on YouTube.
I hate shipping too. But I'm still interested to see what they'd do with the crush in the series. There's two main things I can think of that they can do with it:
1) Serena grows as a character and matures. She'll pursue her own dreams instead of sticking around with Ash.
If they want the crush thing to still be important, they could say that they'll meet up again "someday" or whatnot. But more importantly, a character would grow and develop.
2) Serena and Ash travel together and "live happily ever after". Ash's role in the anime could end.
They could make them still travel together in another series, but it'd make the bond between Ash and Pikachu seem less significant, so they probably wouldn't do that. So instead, they would end Ash's story and make a new protagonist.

I'd be fine with either of these two things really.

I don't like RPs, so I'm going to ignore the last two sentences you wrote. :p

Soul.

Nahhhh mannnnnnnnnn.

I don't think his role is going to end. While starting over is good, it sucks too. Character development is a good thing.

Also it's fine, I don't like RPs either.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
So today, I decided to play on For Glory, and I met this really good Megaman player. Well, I threw him off the stage and used Pikachu's Bair to kill him, and it worked nicely. But when I tried to use Quick Attack to get up, I died. The controller didn't register the second input. At first I told myself that it was a typical mistake for a Pikachu player. But when we got into a similar situation later in the match, I killed myself again. In our subsequent three matches, I repeatedly went off stage, used Bair, and tried to get up. I couldn't get the timing right on Quick Attack. So I left For Glory, went into Training Mode, and tried again. I could Quick Attack just fine there. I guess if I play on For Glory, I need to be careful with my offstage game (or stay on the stage all the time). But that's no fun. :(

Soul.

That's exactly why I don't use this character on FG.
With Friends is better, but eh.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
So, what do you guys usually do on for glory? I usually start by screwing around with characters I dabble in (spamming kirbycide is fun) then switching to pika if they beat me.

Soul.

I just waste my time messing around with other characters. I don't like using Pikachu in For Glory because input errors suck.
I'm like, there. Taking it ez. I guess.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I use For Glory to practice Pikachu and my secondaries. I barely have any problems with input delay, so the practice I get on there is pretty damn good.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I'm probably gonna spend more time with my secondaries (Sonic, Mewtwo, Lucario, Greninja) now. I feel like there's a significant gap between my skills as Pikachu and them anyways, so it'd be a good idea to practice as them some more.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
My FG experiences have been mixed, but I do get a lot of input errors as Pika, which is fairly frustrating. Can't claim that's the only reason I get rolled though.

Wish I could bring out my pocket frog there, but I don't think he's ready for prime time.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Of all the deal breakers I've heard for the Pokemon anime, romance is definitely a new one.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Brother Red up and created a new social that I thought I would never thought to lurk.
On-going crushes were a think to eye on, but I had Brock to fill that in and I stopped on Anime midway through DPPt.

Soul.

There is nothing wrong with romance in the Pokémon anime; I just find it weird lol. It's not a bad thing.
At least the animation is good. I stopped watching it anyway.

Soul.

Not sure if you were talking about Bayleef.
Or Pikachu x Buneary. Or every Pokémon x the singing Legendary thing from Gen 5.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Pikachu X Buneary is my only real pokeship. That's just adorable.

The rest of the time I might know a thing or two about it, but it just ain't what I came for.

Top Bottom