• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Petitioning Nintendo: Develop a Gamecube controller style Wii U controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

metho

Smash Rookie
You know what would be better? A petition for wired controllers.

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
There's an adaptor for sale developed by a non-Nintendo entity that allows Gamecube controllers to be played on the Wii U. Look it up rather than advertising. By the way, how do you know that it will benefit us all?

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
There's an adaptor for sale developed by a non-Nintendo entity that allows Gamecube controllers to be played on the Wii U. Look it up rather than advertising. By the way, how do you know that it will benefit us all?
In the petition it clearly acknowledges the existent of that adapter so you didn't read it and assumed it was nonsense. The reason is to be able to buy a stand alone controller without adapters which is much better. If you don't like the idea then simply ignore it :)

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
rather just have a wired controller then ask them to remake a 12 year old one that's only going to be used for one game anyway(aka the Mario Paint effect.)

Reznor

work in progress
just saying wait until smash 4 comes out before we ask for a remake of the GC controller
smash 4 might play better with the new controller

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
What's wrong with the WiiU pro controller? :(
(If its just about it being wireless, doesn't it make more sense to ask for a wired WiiU pro controller. Or that a wire should be included with every controller package. But what outputs for this does WiiU even have? Like 2 usb-ports?)

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
The thing about the Wii U pro controller is that there is no C-stick kind of thing about it :\, C-stick is very important to most people in smash and is perfectly placed on the GC controller. Not sure if it'll be so comfortable on the Wii UP comtroller.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
As much as I would love to use a Gamecube controller for this new Smash, I have a feeling everyone else is just going to migrate to Classic Controller Pro and I will probably just do the same for simplicity's sake.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
The thing about the Wii U pro controller is that there is no C-stick kind of thing about it :\, C-stick is very important to most people in smash and is perfectly placed on the GC controller. Not sure if it'll be so comfortable on the Wii UP comtroller.

Why is that. I gave this some thought once and didn't come up with anything that would make it worse. First I thought about jumping (with a button ofcourse) and doing aerials might not work. But thinking about it for a while, why woulnd't it? Just do it opposite, push jump button with start of thumb and move stick with tip. I think it will be fine after getting used to it :)

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
Why is that. I gave this some thought once and didn't come up with anything that would make it worse. First I thought about jumping (with a button ofcourse) and doing aerials might not work. But thinking about it for a while, why woulnd't it? Just do it opposite, push jump button with start of thumb and move stick with tip. I think it will be fine after getting used to it :)

I was thinking the same way, I guess I need to actually try the controller to see how it is and it could be good enough. But if there's a chance that I can use a GC controller instead, I'd rather jump on that :p

Reznor

work in progress
what do you mean there is no C-stick thing you can use the right stick for smash moves

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
yeah. and besides, if you are getting a 3DS version, you have to adapt to the same thing anyway, since it has a pretty static control scheme..

Times are a-changin', peoples.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Eh, comfortability seems like a fleeting concern. If you use the controller enough (and you don't have to use it a lot) you'll probably get used to it.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
This petition won't work. And it's about time to get use to a new controller anyway. Can't live in the past forever. You need to advance.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
what do you mean there is no C-stick thing you can use the right stick for smash moves

The C-Sick on the GC is not a normal analogue that's what I'm trying to say, it's just something that can't be replaced for me :(. And the positioning is very different.

TreK

Is "that guy"
This petition won't work. And it's about time to get use to a new controller anyway. Can't live in the past forever. You need to advance.
In the past ? The 'new' controller is a XBOX controller ripoff. The GC pad has arcade like precision due to the edged shape of the sticks' holes, feaures a main button (which, from a game designer's standpoint, is a genius concept), and has analogous shoulder buttons that Nintendo seems to have abandoned for no good reason. These features are innovative by today's sheep-like standards.

If Nintendo doesn't want to make the GC pad anymore, then they can as well interpret this petition as 'make a pad that's as good as the GC controller was'.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
In the past ? The 'new' controller is a XBOX controller ripoff.

Had to google it fast, you confused me...
How did you think that lie would fly? Took me 5 seconds to google and see that you where wrong. The button and stick-layout on the WiiU pro controller is different. Even thou their visual design is pretty similar. Did you think no one would know this or even check your "facts" up? :p

mimgrim

Smash Hero
A wired version of a CCP (not the Wii-U CCP, I looked at that controller's design and was scared. o.O) would be nice as once I found a button layout I found comfortable for the CCP I actually ended up liking it better then the GC controller. And since the CCP is compatable with with the Wii-U I'll just stick with that. lol

Reznor

work in progress
The C-Sick on the GC is not a normal analogue that's what I'm trying to say, it's just something that can't be replaced for me :(. And the positioning is very different.
I love the GC controller but its not perfect and one of the reasons is the C-Stick honestly I think most of us like the C-Stick so much is because we have over 10 years using it
it just seems like some people are not willing to give another controller a chance lets wait for Smash4 to come out and see how the new controller does with Smash

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
If you've been playing Nintendo consoles for any significant amount of time, you should be used to having to adapt to radically different controllers and button layouts. I think people should just deal with it. Buncha spoiled brats. =P

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If you've been playing Nintendo consoles for any significant amount of time, you should be used to having to adapt to radically different controllers and button layouts. I think people should just deal with it. Buncha spoiled brats. =P
No, we should get what we are willing to pay for. Obviously wanting a new smash games for a significant amount of time, you should just deal with it becoming a crappy low quality IP like TMNT: Smash Up. Buncha spoiled brats. =P

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
I love the GC controller as much as anyone else, but everything from the Melee days isn't perfect. Give new things a chance.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Had to google it fast, you confused me...
How did you think that lie would fly? Took me 5 seconds to google and see that you where wrong. The button and stick-layout on the WiiU pro controller is different. Even thou their visual design is pretty similar. Did you think no one would know this or even check your "facts" up? :p
'Hey, let's switch the position of the stick so that Microsoft can't sue us !'
'omfg you're a genius Iwata !'

Pretty sure that's how it went.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
No, we should get what we are willing to pay for. Obviously wanting a new smash games for a significant amount of time, you should just deal with it becoming a crappy low quality IP like TMNT: Smash Up. Buncha spoiled brats. =P
Despite the fact that my post was largely in jest, I'm finding it difficult to see how your rebuttal is relevant. =P The two instances aren't even comparable.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I love the GC controller as much as anyone else, but everything from the Melee days isn't perfect. Give new things a chance.
Nah, we'll just use an adapter for the current GameCube controllers. That is the easy fix all for this problem, which is why this petition isn't really needed.

And I have tried the new WiiU Pro Controller on Tekken, and it didn't feel right; I imagine it will feel even moreso with Melee. The lack of a C-stick is damning, especially since moves come out quicker with the C-stick. The button placement is really weird, and I don't mean that in a good way.

The Madcatz 3rd party Pro Controller (which looks like a GameCube controller) may be better than the GameCube controller, however.
just saying wait until smash 4 comes out before we ask for a remake of the GC controller
smash 4 might play better with the new controller

You do realize everything works better with the C-stick, right=??? The new Pro Controller has no real C-stick.

Maybe the Madcatz does, but not the Nintendo WiiU Pro Controller does not. It's just another generic Xbox rip-off controller (in which the Xbox controller is way overrated; the PlayStation controller is so much better IMO that it's almost laughable to compare the two).

Heck, maybe with Smash WiiU, we could even have a large "switch" to arcade stick/controller setups. That's a lot more viable than the WiiU Pro Controller.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
How long do you think it will take before people will demand a gamecube controller (or Gamecube control layout) for the 3DS?

Eh, I'd rather give the new controllers a chance first before writing them off, but I guess that's just my opinion. *shrug*

Reznor

work in progress

You do realize everything works better with the C-stick, right=??? The new Pro Controller has no real C-stick.

Maybe the Madcatz does, but not the Nintendo WiiU Pro Controller does not. It's just another generic Xbox rip-off controller (in which the Xbox controller is way overrated; the PlayStation controller is so much better IMO that it's almost laughable to compare the two).

Heck, maybe with Smash WiiU, we could even have a large "switch" to arcade stick/controller setups. That's a lot more viable than the WiiU Pro Controller.
i'm still confused how is the C-Stick different from a normal stick its just smaller thats it

Arcade stick for smash would feel so weird :bubblebobble:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I feel as though the only thing that truly separates the effectiveness of the major controllers for most people is practice. I see people swear by every controller ever, and that's all because they're USED TO those controllers. If people actually took the time to get better at a new controller rather than relying on the familiar, it wouldn't be a big deal. Before I played Xbox360 games, I thought the controller was silly, but I got used to it and now it's not a problem.

Now if you play professionally and you're utilizing controllers to absolute capacity based on button placement and muscle movement, then maybe you're entitled to wanting to use a specific controller for the sake of ergonomics, but honestly, most people ought to be able to adapt to a new controller without complaint.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Arcade sticks wouldn't work because Smash has analogous controls.
The way the GC controller handles it gives us the best of both worlds because it looks like this (see how the hole is not round ? that's what I'm talking about) and gives us the precision of an arcade stick.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
i'm still confused how is the C-Stick different from a normal stick its just smaller thats it
Because the C-stick functions as essentially a button, whereas the control stick functions to move your character or the camera. The two have totally different functions. Switching from a C-stick to a control stick like the WiiU Pro Controller's in regards to smash is literally using a control stick to replace a button. That sounds rather odd and undesirable, doesn't it=???
Arcade stick for smash would feel so weird :bubblebobble:
Arcade sticks may not be the ideal change, but for people addicted to them, I think they'll bring them to smash. I expect to see more of those than Wiimotes, Wiimote and Nunchuck, and Classic Controllers at tournaments.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
sad and pathetic... :facepalm:

Even if you get enough signatures, Nintendo can still shoot the idea down. Look how "well" the the Anti-Region Locking Campaign went.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Because the C-stick functions as essentially a button, whereas the control stick functions to move your character or the camera. The two have totally different functions.
The function of a button is entirely reliant on the function that is mapped to it. In smash, The C-stick functions as button in Smash because the result is an immediate, momentary instance. But the C-stick functions as a method of controlling the camera in games like Wind Waker.

I don't really see how it's any different to map Smash attacks to a conventional control stick.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm telling you the Classic Controller Pro is good. I even prefer it over the GC controller now even, and nyes I use to think the GC controller was the be all end all controller for Smash. Now I con't comment on the Wii-U CCP but I admit I don't like the idea of both sticks being up high. However for the CCP both sticks are low and it is perfect for me, I even prefer the right stick to be lower then higher despite the GC right stick being higher. What I don't get is why lack of a C-Stick is a problem. The left stick on the CCP goes just as fast at the C-Stick for me, making me wonder why people think it is slower. o_O

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Despite the fact that my post was largely in jest, I'm finding it difficult to see how your rebuttal is relevant. =P The two instances aren't even comparable.
Yes, they are. You said adapt to new things, so I brought up a potential new thing. If you don't want terrible Smash games, then you can't adapt. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom